PDA

View Full Version : Calc12C - HP12C Platinum financial calculator emulator - (Web App conversion)

johncc
06/16/2010, 02:49 AM
Calc12c is a conversion of a web based HP12C emulator to a webOS application. The original is located at EPx - Web HP-12C Platinum emulator (http://epx.com.br/ctb/hp12c-platinum.php). The javascript engine is copyright Elvis Pfützenreuter, and he has kindly given premission for me to use it. And as he says 'This calculator is only a toy. Use at your own risk!' Don't blame me for the next GFC.

It is available from the Homebrew App Catalog here ... Calc12c (http://precentral.net/calc12c), and therefore also from Preware. (I will continue to make the most recent update available as an attachment to this post and it may be a bit ahead of the Homebrew App Catalog version at times.)

The initial aim of the exercise was to provide webOS with a financial calculator. For scientific use there are already other options such as the RPN Scientific Calculator in the App Catalog, or I have now added additonal scientific function to this one and put it in the Homebrew Catalog as Calc12CS (http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/258628-calc12cs-12c-plus-scientific-functions.html).

Algebraic calculator - [f] [ALG]
Rerverse Polish calculator - [f] [RPN]

http://forums.precentral.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51765&d=1285222488___http://forums.precentral.net/attachments/homebrew-apps/51766d1285222520-calc12c-hp12c-platinum-financial-calculator-emulator-web-app-conversion-pre-portrait.png

To get it running was fairly straight forward. All I basically had to do was create a webOS application framework, edit the appinfo.json file, put the HTML divs in the View file and the Javascript in the Scene's Javascript file and change the event handling over to Mojo's way of doing things and it worked.

It took a lot more time to organise a portrait version and keyboard access, but that's all done. The number-lock (option key) state is shown by a little arrow in the display. (I would like to use the standard webOS indicator once I find it.) The keyboard mapping is shown below

Pixi mode screen (no landscape mode) Tap the area on the left or right edge of the sceen to access the top 3 rows of the left-hand half of the original keyboard. (Compare with the Pre landscape image above.)
http://forums.precentral.net/attachments/homebrew-apps/51767d1285222548-calc12c-hp12c-platinum-financial-calculator-emulator-web-app-conversion-pixi-anim.gif
/* Keyboard mapping
Numbers, decimal point/comma and arithmetic (+,-,*,/)
Enter/Return or Equal sign = ENTER
C = CLx (Clear x)
H = CHS (change signal)
E = EEX
Modifiers: (F, G, S, R) map to (f, g, STO, RCL) modifiers
Financial: (N, I, P, M, V) map to (n, i, PV, PMT and FV) operations.
Percentage: (#, $, %) map to (T%, delta% and %)
! = power (y**x)
\ = inverse (1/x)
X = swap x with y (x<->y)
D = Rotate down stack (R-down)
W = Add statistical tuple (sigma-plus key)
O = Toogles between decimal point and comma, and also saves memory as a cookie.
Backspace = correct typing
*/

--------------
NOTES

The Platinum model is capable of running in algebraic mode (brackets under test - see message #41) and the more efficient RPN :). You can find a manual here. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00363319.pdf

Date Format - requires a 2 digit parameter after the decimal point (Month for D.MY format or day for M.DY format).
eg 2nd June 2010
[g][D.MY] - 2.062010
[g][M.DY] - 6.022010

Original [ON] key has new functions
[f][TDY] - today's date
[<-] - backspace (delete last digit entered)
[g][ . , ] - swap the use of ',' and '.' as decimal/thousands separator

Feedback is selectable between 'vibrate', 'click', 'both' and 'none' by a tap on the display area. Icons corresponding to the selection are shown just to the right of the display. Note : Use the haptic feedback option in sconix's Advanced Configuration for System Preferences patch for less lag.

-------------

The most recent .ipk file, which you can install using WEBOSQI or Preware

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11474544/com.palm.app.johncc.calc12c_0.6.0_all.ipk

version to cope with webOS 3.0.5. Only need to update if running 3.0.5 on your Touchpad
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11474544/com.palm.app.johncc.calc12c_0.7.0_all.ipk

6th July 2010 Initial Homebrew version 0.0.12 submitted
18th July 2010 Homebrew version 0.1.4 submitted
* Haptic feedback
* Bracket processing in algebraic mode. '(' = [g][STO] and ')' = [g][RCL]
* Autosaves status and memory, including program memory
25th July 2010 Homebrew updated to 0.1.6
* Increased time on memory storage cookie from 7 to 180 days
* Added Today's date function [f][TDY] to make it easier to include it in the [g][DATE] (add days to date) and [g][delta DATE] (days between dates) functions.
* Stack operations associated with date operations tidied up.
3rd August 2010
* The old ON key is now backspace. Removes last input digit.
22nd September 2010
* Feedback selection added
1st November 2010
* Correct the display during EEX function
21st March 2011
* includes Exhibition Mode for 2.1 devices
19th November 2011 - 0.6.0
* Pre 3 and Touchpad keymapping fixed
* Runs outside the Touchpad's Mojo emulator enlarged 1.5x
2nd Feb 2012 - 0.7.0
* updated for webOS 3.0.5 orientation change

To Do List
*Make shift indicator standard webOS
*Check all operations
*Incorporate help screens for hardware keyboard mapping.

Please let me know of any issues.;)

rogerkang
06/16/2010, 08:42 AM
cool! I've been wanting an app like this. Will download and test!

luau joe
06/16/2010, 09:18 AM
Very cool. Finally, something very close to the layout of my old HP21c, which I still use on a daily basis. I particularly like the landscape mode. Some features worth your consideration, and which I consider essentials:
- number display options for "fix" "eng", and "sci"
- haptic feedback for key presses
- log and 10^x keys
Any chance you can include these features? If so, this has the potential to be my default go-to calculator

jdod
06/16/2010, 10:12 AM
Been a RPN and HP fan since my ELEE degree many years ago, will definitely watch this thread and test.

bausti25
06/16/2010, 10:43 AM
Ive been waiting for this since I got my Sprint Pre on launch day! Thank you!!!

luau joe
06/16/2010, 11:00 AM
One more request item ....

the keys need to be much larger. My fingers have trouble finding the keys, and together with the lack of vibration feedback, makes keystrokes very error prone.

Also, the whole script seems to run too slowly, with lots of momentarily pauses that also add to keystroke errors.

johncc
06/16/2010, 08:02 PM
Very cool. Finally, something very close to the layout of my old HP21c, which I still use on a daily basis. I particularly like the landscape mode. Some features worth your consideration, and which I consider essentials:
- log and 10^x keys
Any chance you can include these features? If so, this has the potential to be my default go-to calculator

Check here for a scientific RPN calulator which is in the App Catalog.

iMarco's Scientific RPN calculator (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/scientific-rpn-calculator)

One more request item ....

the keys need to be much larger. My fingers have trouble finding the keys, and together with the lack of vibration feedback, makes keystrokes very error prone.

Also, the whole script seems to run too slowly, with lots of momentarily pauses that also add to keystroke errors.

I will put haptic feedback on the to do list.

Use the thumb board to solve your key access problems.

miata
06/16/2010, 08:12 PM
Any plans for the Pixi?

johncc
06/17/2010, 05:20 AM
Any plans for the Pixi?

Yes. I will definitely make it Pixi compatible. The key size can't be really reduced, so I am thinking of displaying half of the keys at any one time and reviewing the keyboard operation to make it easier to use as the primary input.

Keyboard entry will work in the meantime.

johncc
06/17/2010, 07:39 AM
The original image used was for the original 12C not the 12C Platinum. The code was Platinum. Changes X^2 is [g] [multiply] and Last X is [g] [+].

Files in the first message have been updated.

philesk
06/17/2010, 06:31 PM
The current version runs on the Pixi+ in Portrait mode. However, you do have to scroll to use keys below the 4,5,6,X row. In landscape, the 3,6,9,+,-,x,/ are inaccessible, but there are keyboard alternatives for those. Johncc is working on several approaches for better screen fit.
I used earlier versions on my Pre and now have traded in my Pre for a Pixi+.

philesk
06/17/2010, 06:32 PM
The script is actually pretty good. The java versions seem to run faster than my original (very early) HP12c.

philesk
06/17/2010, 06:51 PM
Verification of HP function compatibility could be a project undertaken by this forum. The HP12c Platinum Solutions Handbook is 168 pages of keystroke exercises to "teach" HP 12c operation. It is available here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00367123.pdf

I propose that those interested in supporting JohnCc's efforts volunteer to take on the task of verifying HP12c compatibility by running each exercise in the Solutions Handbook.

I will begin by volunteering to test the first two sections in the Handbook: Real Estate and Lending. Pages 7-38. I will report success/failures here. Any other takers?

wizard83
06/17/2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks OP, I have been looking for an RPN calculator for the Pre.

I have a 41CV and two HP-42S calculators that I use daily. I also use the excelent Free 42 program written by Thomas Okken for Windows and Palm. No webOS version yet.

You can find it at thomasokken.com/free42/

There is a Palm version that I used on my Treo and Centro with a Stylus. I tried it with Classic on the Pre, but the buttons are so small in classic I had a hard time hitting the correct keys. I have not tried it with a Pre compatable Stylus.

Does anyone think they could take the Free42 Source code and make a WebOS version?

I'm sure the orignal author would be agreeable as some others have delveloped other platforms.

johncc
06/18/2010, 03:01 AM
Thanks OP, I have been looking for an RPN calculator for the Pre.

I have a 41CV and two HP-42S calculators that I use daily. I also use the excelent Free 42 program written by Thomas Okken for Windows and Palm. No webOS version yet.

You can find it at Free42, an HP-42S calculator simulator (http://thomasokken.com/free42/)

There is a Palm version that I used on my Treo and Centro with a Stylus. I tried it with Classic on the Pre, but the buttons are so small in classic I had a hard time hitting the correct keys. I have not tried it with a Pre compatable Stylus.

Does anyone think they could take the Free42 Source code and make a WebOS version?

I'm sure the orignal author would be agreeable as some others have delveloped other platforms.

Since there is an iPhone version, it should certainly be possible. The conversion is supposedly fairly straight forward. The one that I use for scientific stuff is iMarco's one linked in post 7 of this thread. Not free, but good.

johncc
06/20/2010, 09:18 PM
Okay! Pixi mode is implemented. (Install the updated ipk in zip file in first post with WEBOSQI, or Preware or the P|C Homebrew App Catalog) THE FOLLOWING DESCRIPTION IS OBSOLETE. Access the other half of the keypad by tapping on the left or right sides of the screen. Let's know your thoughts. I have in mind for the bottom part of the portrait mode screen to be used for display of help information and probably a function guide.

BTW - Can anybody point me to a reasonably large front-view image of a Pixi

[images removed to reduce confusion with current version]

The program has been approved for inclusion in Homebrew, so this thread should be moving into the Homebrew Apps forum shortly.

Once I get a bit of feedback on the Pixi mode, I will upload it to Homebrew.

johncc
06/22/2010, 01:39 AM
Date Format - requires a 2 digit parameter after the decimal point (Month for D.MY format or day for M.DY format). The original could apparently accept a single digit.

eg 2nd June 2010

[g][D.MY] - 2.062010
[g][M.DY] - 6.022010

johncc
06/23/2010, 12:04 AM
The original code had delays to simulate the operation of the real HP calculator. Seemed to result in missed key presses. I have removed the delays in the updated .ipk in the OP (0.0.9), and the keypress behaviour seems better.

johncc
06/23/2010, 07:57 PM
This para obsolete
I have a made change to the Pixi operation. In portrait mode, it now displays 5 rows, duplicating the [f][g] row so that it is accessible from both screens.

[obsolete image removed]

I thought that I might try and make that screen suitable for pure arithmetical operations without swapping, (by doubling up (as [f] or [g] operations) some of the operations such as [CLx] [CHS] from the other screen. Or I could probably just add the extra row of keys. Any thoughts? [525]

philesk
06/24/2010, 03:43 PM
There are bigg images of Pixi & Pre Plus (Verizon) here:

Palm Pre Plus And Pixi Plus Coming To Verizon | Geeky Gadgets (http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/palm-pre-plus-and-pixi-plus-coming-to-verizon-08-01-2010/)

philesk
06/24/2010, 04:07 PM
On the Pixi+ is there any way for the user to have a preference option to select which extra row of keys to display in portrait mode and diamonds for the top row to do an on-screen swap of the top row?

e.g. The F,G,STO,RCL row is useful for Financial calcs, but the n,i,PV,PMT,FV would be a great addition for routine financial calcs. Toggling between screens to use F & G with the PV buttons was always a limitation on the old PalmOS 12c app. Others may prefer that the next row which has the bond calc keys and depreciation which make heavy use of the F key. Personally, I don't really use them much and I suspect many finance people just use the PV/TVM keys the most - see the old HP 22 layout here:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/22.jpg

Also, what do you think about getting rid of the grey bar that separates the display and keypad?

philesk
06/24/2010, 04:15 PM
Okay! Pixi mode is implemented. (Install the updated ipk in zip file in first post with WEBOSQI) Access the other half of the keypad by tapping on the left or right sides of the screen. Let's know your thoughts. I have in mind for the bottom part of the portrait mode screen to be used for display of help information and probably a function guide.

BTW - Can anybody point me to a reasonably large front-view image of a Pixi

http://discussion.treocentral.com/attachments/web-os-development/48222d1277082260-calc12c-hp12c-platinum-emulator-web-app-pixi-portrait-screen.jpg _____http://discussion.treocentral.com/attachments/web-os-development/48223d1277082293-calc12c-hp12c-platinum-emulator-web-app-pixi-landscape-screen.jpg

The program has been approved for inclusion in Homebrew, so this thread should be moving into the Homebrew Apps forum shortly.

Once I get a bit of feedback on the Pixi mode, I will upload it to Homebrew.
Help usually goes in the upper left corner of the display (see game Tetra Blocks). But, calc12c uses the entire screen (to good effect). Maybe a button could be added to the bottom in portrait or side in landacape to open a second card with help & other info?

johncc
06/24/2010, 07:36 PM
Help usually goes in the upper left corner of the display (see game Tetra Blocks). But, calc12c uses the entire screen (to good effect). Maybe a button could be added to the bottom in portrait or side in landacape to open a second card with help & other info?

Thanks for the input and the link to the images.

I like your swappable top row idea. I will look into it. Might be even better to expand the keypad to 5 fixed rows (including [f][g] row) and swap the remaining rows into the top row.

There isn't a surplus blank area between rows actually. It just looks bigger because it's blank. All of the keys are equally spaced and actually need to be that way so that the position of the virtual key can be calculated from tap coordinates.

For help, I'm thinking about maybe a SYM key prefix type operation or maybe a mouseover popup arrangement if that works in webOS.

Let's know if you verify any functionality as mentioned in your previous post. I'd be particularly interested to know if the programmabilty works properly. I think that I should verify the functionality before I do too much more.

philesk
06/25/2010, 06:55 PM
Yes, my suggestion was to keep the [f][g] row as a perm fifth row and add a sixth swapable row the [n][i][PV] at the least. This can only happen in portrait mode as there would not be enough room in landscape.

I like the idea of using the [SYM] key for pop-up help.

No one else has volunteered to do function testing, and I have been busy with work this week, but will get around to it next week...

johncc
06/27/2010, 02:17 AM
The Pixi mode does not have a landscape mode anymore. (So restricted compared with portrait that I don't think that it would be used.)

Pixi screen now has 6 rows, with the facility to swap the top 3 rows of what was originally the left-hand side of the keyboard into the top row on the Pixi screen (see animation below). I think that should make a fairly useable arrangement for Pixi users. All of the left hand edge of the screen can be tapped to swap the top row.

zip file in OP updated.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48429&d=1277619160

johncc
06/28/2010, 09:26 AM
- log and 10^x keys

Sorry that I did not address your log and 10^x point at the time. I thought that you could get logs from natural logs but I had to 'brush up" on that bit of maths.

10^x is readily obtained from the y^x key and log(x) = ln(x)/ln(10), so now it's just the number formatting and haptic feedback that's missing. :)

Puzzlegal
06/28/2010, 09:40 AM
Check here for a scientific RPN calulator which is in the App Catalog.

iMarco's Scientific RPN calculator (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/scientific-rpn-calculator)

I've been using this since shortly after it came out. Somehow the keys seem too small, which is odd because I didn't have any trouble with a similar-looking calculator on the Treo. It's nice, though, and makes a little "click" when you "press" a key.

Thanks for the 12C, I expect I'll grab that, too. I never use sin and cos, and I do sometimes want to do a quick annuity calc (and I usually just use the basic functions plus y^x and 1/x) so this will be a nice little upgrade.

Puzzlegal
06/28/2010, 09:49 AM
Hmmm, tried to download this from Preware but it's not listed there. How can I get a copy to play with?

thanks.

philesk
06/28/2010, 07:34 PM
ver .12 is great on the Pixi+. It looks like you also made the numbers display font larger. The swapable top row is a real winner.

Now, I've got to get cracking on testing. Maybe time to move over to Homebrew or Preware...

philesk
06/28/2010, 07:35 PM
Hmmm, tried to download this from Preware but it's not listed there. How can I get a copy to play with?

thanks.
The latest version is in the first post. JohnCC just updates the link.
Download, load the .IPK into Quick Install, and you're in business...

johncc
06/28/2010, 09:18 PM
I've been using this (iMarco's Scientific RPN calculator) since shortly after it came out. Somehow the keys seem too small, which is odd because I didn't have any trouble with a similar-looking calculator on the Treo. It's nice, though, and makes a little "click" when you "press" a key.

Thanks for the 12C, I expect I'll grab that, too. I never use sin and cos, and I do sometimes want to do a quick annuity calc (and I usually just use the basic functions plus y^x and 1/x) so this will be a nice little upgrade.

On investigating the key size of Marco's calculator in the emulator using the mouse, I found that the key area is of a reasonable size, but it needs to be a bit further down the screen. If you tap under the key at all you will get the key below. (It's probably something that could be addressed with a patch. - A project for later.)

Yes, the click is something that I want to implement.

johncc
06/28/2010, 09:27 PM

thanks.

The latest version is in the first post. JohnCC just updates the link.
Download, load the .IPK into Quick Install, and you're in business...

What he said.

But it will be in Homebrew and accessible from Preware soon. Just waiting for my request for this thread to be moved to Homebrew Apps to be actioned and a couple of more refinements, and then I will submit it.

johncc
06/29/2010, 07:45 PM
Submitted for Homebrew approval 29th June.

johncc
06/29/2010, 08:03 PM
Can somebody verify that the orientation change works properly on the Pixi? It should do portrait and upside-down portrait, with no change for landscape.

philesk
06/30/2010, 04:48 PM
Can somebody verify that the orientation change works properly on the Pixi? It should do portrait and upside-down portrait, with no change for landscape.

Yep. That works, although I don't know why anyone would want upside down portrait except maybe to show someone a calc result....
-Phil

johncc
06/30/2010, 08:10 PM
Yep. That works, although I don't know why anyone would want upside down portrait except maybe to show someone a calc result....
-Phil

Thanks Phil. That was my thought when I left it in. (Might as well have that capability. Saves having to shift your grip on the phone.) [1019]

loxas
07/05/2010, 11:11 AM
i can not see the image

johncc
07/05/2010, 07:11 PM
i can not see the image

Which one?

johncc
07/05/2010, 08:40 PM
Now in the Homebrew App Catalog here ... Calc12c (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/calc12c), and therefore also the Preware feed.

philesk
07/09/2010, 04:13 AM
Now in the Homebrew App Catalog here ... Calc12c (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/calc12c), and therefore also the Preware feed.

Congrats, John!
-Phil

johncc
07/13/2010, 04:12 AM
I have implemented haptic feedback (vibrate) and brackets in the algebraic mode. Seems to be working okay, but I haven't exhaustively tested it and brackets are not available in user programs. If anybody would like to help test it/(try and break it), See later message for updated ipk in a zip file. You can install it with WEBOSQI.

( = [g][STO]
) = [g][RCL]
The brackets in operation indicator in the display is (n, where n is the number of open brackets eg (4. The original used ().
Pressing the '=' key closes any open brackets.
There is an arbitrary limit of 13 open brackets just for compatibility with the original.

Let me know of any problems. I will upload it to Homebrew once it is more fully tested.

philesk
07/16/2010, 07:12 PM
I have implemented haptic feedback (vibrate) and brackets in the algebraic mode. Seems to be working okay, but I haven't exhaustively tested it and brackets are not available in user programs. If anybody would like to help test it/(try and break it), I have attached the ipk in a zip file. You can install it with WEBOSQI.

( = [g][STO]
) = [g][RCL]
The brackets in operation indicator in the display is (n, where n is the number of open brackets eg (4. The original used ().
Pressing the '=' key closes any open brackets.
There is an arbitrary limit of 13 open brackets just for compatibility with the original.

Let me know of any problems. I will upload it to Homebrew once it is more fully tested.

Haptic is working on the Pixi...
-Phil

johncc
07/17/2010, 01:50 AM
Haptic is working on the Pixi...
-Phil

Do you think that it is useful?

johncc
07/18/2010, 09:05 AM
Submitted 0.1.4 to Homebrew Catalog. (Also attachment to OP)

This update implements haptic feeback, bracket processing in algebraic mode and autosaves status and memory between executions.

johncc
07/19/2010, 12:42 AM
0.1.4 available from Homebrew Catalog - http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/calc12c

philesk
07/19/2010, 04:40 PM
Do you think that it is useful?

Very useful! The positive haptic feedback is particularly useful on the Pixi with its smaller screen. Also the memory feature is great.
Good work John.

-Phil

johncc
07/19/2010, 08:34 PM
Very useful! The positive haptic feedback is particularly useful on the Pixi with its smaller screen. Also the memory feature is great.
Good work John.

-Phil

It's a pity that the vibration lags behind the 'keypress', but that is probably because it's a mechanical device as much as anything.

At the moment the memory save (cookie) is only retained for 7 days. I will increase that to 6 months in the next update. (It would probably be better to use something more persistent than a cookie eventually).

johncc
07/20/2010, 01:56 AM
Attached 0.1.5 to the first post.

* Increased time on memory storage cookie from 7 to 180 days
* Added Today's date function [f][TDY] to make it easier to include it in the [g][DATE] (add days to date) and [g][delta DATE] (days between dates) functions.

johncc
07/25/2010, 02:00 AM
0.1.6 available from Homebrew App Catalog.

bitmage
07/30/2010, 11:16 AM
Very nice work! Any chance that you could do some of the other models like the 15 and 16C? They were the same form factor as the 12.

Thanks,
Brian

13brian
07/30/2010, 05:49 PM
This is WONDERFUL thanks tons.

Workerb33
07/30/2010, 05:52 PM
This app brought back horrible memories from finance class in grad school. This is definitely not something I want on my phone, as it causes a sharp pain behind my eye when I think about financial calculations. Please make the bad man stop!

you can tell that finance wasn't my best subject, and something I leave to the accountants in daily life...

johncc
07/30/2010, 07:48 PM
Very nice work! Any chance that you could do some of the other models like the 15 and 16C? They were the same form factor as the 12.

Thanks,
Brian

Thanks. Nice to get some feedback.

The 15/16 sound like a big job. As I said in the first post, I did not write the original code, just ported a Javascript based web-app. I did a bit of a search and could not turn up any 15/16's. If you can turn up some code, I could think about it. I will probably give this one a scientific mode later on, but I don't know about matrix manipulations and complex numbers though. :)

johncc
07/31/2010, 11:41 PM
There was a bit of discussion about perceived key lag in the comments on the front page item on Calc12c. I think that it is more to do with the duration of the vibration, however I have put together an experimental version (attached) with the ability to select vibrate, a click or both as feedback. Pressing [f][STO] repeatedly will give you each of the options in turn. Let me know what you think.

Extract the ipk from the attached zip file and install with WEBOSQI.

JayV
08/01/2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for putting this app together. It's excellent, and it's certainly one I would have been happy to purchase. It's also the application that finally got me to give homebrew a try after a year of owning my Pre.

Thanks again,

Jay

johncc
08/01/2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for putting this app together. It's excellent, and it's certainly one I would have been happy to purchase. It's also the application that finally got me to give homebrew a try after a year of owning my Pre.

Thanks again,

Jay

Thanks Jay. Nice to know that it is appreciated. The author of the Javascript engine did not want payment and althought the porting to webOS was a bit of work (certainly more than I was credited for in the front page article :) ), I did not contemplate charging. Enjoy!

jingles
08/02/2010, 09:30 PM
First, I want to thank you for your efforts on providing this calculator. It works well and I am using the pre version daily.

One question: where is the backspace? I have looked all over and can't seem to find it anywhere on the screen. If it isn't included, I would suggest that you add it to the TDY button as a primary function. When I enter a number, I frequently have an error somewhere within my entry. It is painful to delete the whole number and start over again. I expect that when I get use to the spacing and haptic feedback (which I love), I will have fewer errors. However, the backspace would still be a useful function to have.

I too have noted a lag between the key press and the haptic feedback. If this can't be modified, I would rather keep the feedback and pace my entries accordingly. The audible feedback doesn't work well as the pre click isn't loud to hear except in a quiet environment.

Thanks again.:)

johncc
08/02/2010, 09:50 PM
First, I want to thank you for your efforts on providing this calculator. It works well and I am using the pre version daily.

One question: where is the backspace? I have looked all over and can't seem to find it anywhere on the screen. If it isn't included, I would suggest that you add it to the TDY button as a primary function. When I enter a number, I frequently have an error somewhere within my entry. It is painful to delete the whole number and start over again. I expect that when I get use to the spacing and haptic feedback (which I love), I will have fewer errors. However, the backspace would still be a useful function to have.

I too have noted a lag between the key press and the haptic feedback. If this can't be modified, I would rather keep the feedback and pace my entries accordingly. The audible feedback doesn't work well as the pre click isn't loud to hear except in a quiet environment.

Thanks again.:)

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

I am not used to having backspace on my old HP25, so I just go for CLX, but you are right about it being a useful addition. The thumb-board backspace does operate as rub-out, so it will be easy to implement. Look for it later today.

Thanks for testing the audible feedback. I had pretty much come to the same conclusion. The vibrate is achieved by cranking up a little out-of-balance electric motor, so unfortunately it's inevitable that there will be lag. You don't actually have to wait for the vibrate to finish before pressing the next key. It's a bit counter intuitive, but you can tap keys in fairly quick succession if you really want to.

vegas89134
08/02/2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks. Nice to get some feedback.

The 15/16 sound like a big job. As I said in the first post, I did not write the original code, just ported a Javascript based web-app. I did a bit of a search and could not turn up any 15/16's. If you can turn up some code, I could think about it. I will probably give this one a scientific mode later on, but I don't know about matrix manipulations and complex numbers though. :)

HP has an HP-15C emulator ported to the iPhone. See HP 15C Scientific Calculator for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hp-15c-scientific-calculator/id318956846?mt=8&at=10l3Vy&ct=vb_wn)
You may be able to get assistance from the new owner of webOS.

johncc
08/02/2010, 10:19 PM
HP has an HP-15C emulator ported to the iPhone. See HP 15C Scientific Calculator for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hp-15c-scientific-calculator/id318956846?mt=8&at=10l3Vy&ct=vb_wn)
You may be able to get assistance from the new owner of webOS.

Yes. I saw that one. Maybe one of the 47,000 engineers vying for one of McKinney's free Pre will take on calculator porting using the PDK. Could be a winning project.

Edit: I did not notice before that the linked one is actually by HP (Rather expensive, isn't it). They have a 12c as well. I might get a C&D from them soon. :)

johncc
08/02/2010, 11:06 PM
Version 0.1.8 now available from the Homebrew Catalog or the OP.

Old ON key is now backspace (rubs out last digit of input)

johncc
08/06/2010, 12:54 AM
There are 20 unused [f] & [g] key options on Calc12c's keyboard. Does anybody have any requests for functions to include. I have log functions, trigonometrical functions (+ inverses) and number formats on my list already, but by all means mention them if they interest you.

sifferman
08/06/2010, 07:29 AM
There are 20 unused [f] & [g] key options on Calc12c's keyboard. Does anybody have any requests for functions to include. I have log functions, trigonometrical functions (+ inverses) and number formats on my list already, but by all means mention them if they interest you.

Note that [f]0 through [f]9 and [f]. are not really unused key options, since these are used to select the number of displayed significant figures, as described in the HP 12C User's Guide on pages 71-72.

johncc
08/06/2010, 10:08 AM
Note that [f]0 through [f]9 and [f]. are not really unused key options, since these are used to select the number of displayed significant figures, as described in the HP 12C User's Guide on pages 71-72.

You are right of course. There goes half the options. Although I could go over to the option on my HP25, which uses [f] [FIX] [n].

sifferman
08/06/2010, 10:33 AM
You are right of course. There goes half the options. Although I could go over to the option on my HP25, which uses [f] [FIX] [n].

Sounds like an excellent alternative. In fact, as I look at my HP11C, it has FIX, SCI, and ENG buttons, which I would love to see on Calc12C. (Though you might want to change the name of your app to something else, as it will start looking less and less like an HP12C.)

johncc
08/06/2010, 05:59 PM
Sounds like an excellent alternative. In fact, as I look at my HP11C, it has FIX, SCI, and ENG buttons, which I would love to see on Calc12C. (Though you might want to change the name of your app to something else, as it will start looking less and less like an HP12C.)

That's a good idea. I will leave Calc12c as it is and add functions to a newly named calculator. The purist would probably not like the 12c "messed with" anyway.

sifferman
08/06/2010, 06:24 PM
In addition to the trig functions and other scientific features you plan to add, the next feature I'd hope for would be base conversions (dec to/from hex especially).

jingles
08/08/2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the quick response on the request to add in a backspace feature. It works great and your calculator is a primary tool for me.

jmparsons
08/08/2010, 01:49 PM
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I now have a PERFECT phone.

THANK YOU!

Joe Parsons

johncc
08/08/2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the quick response on the request to add in a backspace feature. It works great and your calculator is a primary tool for me.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I now have a PERFECT phone.

THANK YOU!

Joe Parsons

Glad that you find it useful. As regular users, how do you find the error rate on keystrokes?

jmparsons
08/10/2010, 11:12 AM
Glad that you find it useful. As regular users, how do you find the error rate on keystrokes?

The delay on each keystroke is frustrating. I'd gladly give up the tactile feedback, if that what's slowing it down.

I've been using my 12C since 1980. It is the most elegant and useful piece of technology HP has ever created. Having it on my phone is, well...perfect.

Joe Parsons

johncc
08/10/2010, 08:03 PM
The delay on each keystroke is frustrating. I'd gladly give up the tactile feedback, if that what's slowing it down.

I've been using my 12C since 1980. It is the most elegant and useful piece of technology HP has ever created. Having it on my phone is, well...perfect.

Joe Parsons

Actually, there isn't a delay. You can enter keystrokes as rapidly as you like. You do not have to wait for the vibrate to finish. Try entering a series of digits and you will find that they are accepted as fast as you can enter them.

I have attached a version with selectable feedback. Defaults to vibrate, but you can press [f][+] successively to get 'click', 'click' + 'vibrate', none and 'vibrate'. Have a play.

I personally think that the vibrate is a plus, as it allows me to readily pick up the occassional missed key.

Thanks for the feedback Joe.

jingles
08/14/2010, 03:07 PM
I have noticed that the period and comma are transposed in the display. The comma is being used to denote a decimal place. The period is being to denote thousands.

I have just noticed this even though I have been using the calculator regularly.

Thanks for this great app.

In response to your question, I am finding that I have a high error rate for number entry. Number 1 is a particular problem along with the period.

jmparsons
08/14/2010, 03:16 PM
I have noticed that the period and comma are transposed in the display. The comma is being used to denote a decimal place. The period is being to denote thousands.

I have just noticed this even though I have been using the calculator regularly.

Thanks for this great app.

In response to your question, I am finding that I have a high error rate for number entry. Number 1 is a particular problem along with the period.

That's the European notation. You can switch it back with [g][<-] (that's the power key on the full-scale 12C.

As happy as I am with this app (my phone is now PERFECT), I wish there were not so much of a delay between keystroke and display. I think it's because of the haptic feedback feature (vibration on keypress). If that is a mechanical issue, I'd be more than happy to forgo it in the interests of more efficient data entry.

Joe Parsons

jmparsons
08/14/2010, 03:17 PM
Actually, there isn't a delay. You can enter keystrokes as rapidly as you like. You do not have to wait for the vibrate to finish. Try entering a series of digits and you will find that they are accepted as fast as you can enter them.

I have attached a version with selectable feedback. Defaults to vibrate, but you can press [f][+] successively to get 'click', 'click' + 'vibrate', none and 'vibrate'. Have a play.

I personally think that the vibrate is a plus, as it allows me to readily pick up the occassional missed key.

Thanks for the feedback Joe.

You de MAN!

jmparsons
08/14/2010, 03:27 PM
The new version with selectable feedback works well. The the other two options (click or silent) seem to be a bit faster, although in each case there is still a slight delay between keypress and display. I don't know whether this is a limitation of the hardware or something that can be fixed in the code.

Either way, I am a happy man!

Joe Parsons

johncc
08/14/2010, 08:17 PM
The new version with selectable feedback works well. The the other two options (click or silent) seem to be a bit faster, although in each case there is still a slight delay between keypress and display. I don't know whether this is a limitation of the hardware or something that can be fixed in the code.

Either way, I am a happy man!

Joe Parsons

Have you tried inputting the sequence of digits 0123456789 as fast as you can? In spite of the duration of the vibration, the digits are accepted as fast as I can put them in, so I still don't think it's a sgnificant problem. It's just a bit counter intuitive to press the next key until the vibrate has finished for the last one.

Anybody else care to comment?

johncc
08/14/2010, 08:31 PM

That's the European notation. You can switch it back with [g][<-] (that's the power key on the full-scale 12C.

What he said. :) You must have accidentally used [g][<-].

The blue 'scratches' on the key (image attached) are supposed to be a ',' and '.'. I will highlight it in "the manual" (aka the OP)

jmparsons
08/14/2010, 08:35 PM
Have you tried inputting the sequence of digits 0123456789 as fast as you can? In spite of the duration of the vibration, the digits are accepted as fast as I can put them in, so I still don't think it's a sgnificant problem. It's just a bit counter intuitive to press the next key until the vibrate has finished for the last one.

Anybody else care to comment?
I still have a slight delay between keypress and display.

Joe Parsons

johncc
08/14/2010, 08:47 PM
Don't know if people have noticed, but I have started what will be a separate calculator Calc12cs, which will have all of the 12c capabilities as well as scientific capabilities.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/homebrew-apps/258628-calc12cs-12c-plus-scientific-functions.html

johncc
08/14/2010, 08:49 PM
I still have a slight delay between keypress and display.

Joe Parsons

Okay. Looks like I will have to include the selectable feedback in the Homebrew version. :)

jmparsons
08/14/2010, 09:39 PM
It does take input from the physical keyboard. There's no delay at all using this method, but we don't get the nice landscape layout. For quick calculations, I think I'd be inclined to use it in portrait mode and use the physical KB, even though the layout is not as nice. But hey--I've been using my 12C for some 27 years, so change is a little difficult!

The web emulator also has a slight delay when using the virtual keyboard, but not using the physical keyboard. I wonder if there's some inefficiency in the UI code?

Joe Parsons

Still a happy man

johncc
08/14/2010, 09:52 PM
The web emulator also has a slight delay when using the virtual keyboard, but not using the physical keyboard. I wonder if there's some inefficiency in the UI code?

I'll have a look at it. A delay could be attributable to the maths associated with translating the tap coordinates to keycode, whereas the keyboard operation just requires an array lookup. It may not be possible to optimise too much, as Javascript maths is all floating point.

johncc
09/21/2010, 11:42 PM
Feedback is selectable between 'vibrate', 'click', 'both' and 'none' by a tap on the display area. Icons corresponding to the selection are shown just to the right of the display.

OP and Homebrew Catalog updated

johncc
10/31/2010, 10:24 PM
The display of data in the EEX function has been fixed.

The .zip file in the first post has been updated as has the Homebrew Catalog (Use the Homebrew App Catalog download link until the Preware feed updates).

johncc
11/05/2010, 11:01 PM
I have just noticed that the haptic feedback on keypress has much less lag when I use the haptic feedback option provided in the Screen & Lock screen by sconix's Advanced Configuration for System Preferences.

TheMarco
03/17/2011, 11:54 PM
On investigating the key size of Marco's calculator in the emulator using the mouse, I found that the key area is of a reasonable size, but it needs to be a bit further down the screen. If you tap under the key at all you will get the key below. (It's probably something that could be addressed with a patch. - A project for later.)

Yes, the click is something that I want to implement.

Hey John,

This might be a good idea indeed.
That said, it might be that version 1.2 already fixes a lot of 'mis-taps'. I added a new 'full-screen' mode. When this mode is turned on the calculator takes the entire screen, including the top bar. It also prevents notifications from messing things up for the user.

This new full-screen mode provides 7 pixes more space below each row of buttons. I think this will make quite a difference already.

I just pushed it to github so the DIY folks can check out the changes right away.

https://github.com/TheMarco/Scientific-RPN-Calculator

The changes will probably appear in the app store tomorrow as well.

johncc
03/21/2011, 02:24 AM
Update - Operates in Exhibition Mode for 2.1 devices

zip file in OP and Homebrew App Catalog updated.

johncc
07/28/2011, 04:52 AM
Does not work on the Touchpad yet.

johncc
07/28/2011, 09:48 PM
Does not work on the Touchpad yet.

But the problem is with webOS 3 and will be rectified with the OTA update to 3.0.2.

EDIT: Did not fix it. Crashes the Touchpad at the moment. Use Calc12CS until I fix it.

rogerkang
10/03/2011, 05:59 PM
Hi, will you be updating this to take advantage of the bigger screen on the Pre 3? I love this app!

johncc
10/03/2011, 07:54 PM
Hi, will you be updating this to take advantage of the bigger screen on the Pre 3? I love this app!

Yes. Should have time in a couple of weeks. In the meantime use Calc12CS which works fine on Pre 3.

rogerkang
10/03/2011, 08:39 PM
Yes. Should have time in a couple of weeks. In the meantime use Calc12CS which works fine on Pre 3.

Awesome. Thanks!

rogerkang
10/05/2011, 03:58 PM
I downloaded calc 12cs from Preware and it still does not fit correctly in the Pre's bigger screen. Is there a newer version somewhere else?

johncc
10/06/2011, 12:09 AM
I downloaded calc 12cs from Preware and it still does not fit correctly in the Pre's bigger screen. Is there a newer version somewhere else?

Somehow the version available from Preware has reverted to version 0.2.0 whereas it should be 0.21.0. You can get that by clicking on this link in you Pre's browser (via Preware)

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/258628-calc12cs-12c-plus-scientific-functions-5.html#post3055209 post #86

johncc
11/02/2011, 02:40 AM
Seems to work on the TouchPad under 3.0.4's Mojo emulator.

Does not work on the Pre 3 due keyboard mapping.

johncc
11/19/2011, 03:55 AM
Finally updated for Pre 3 and Touchpad

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11474544/com.palm.app.johncc.calc12c_0.6.0_all.ipk

See first post of this thread for details. Should be in the feeds shortly.

leftcoastliggy
01/30/2012, 02:02 PM
Hi John,

Kuddos for developing this app. I'm taking a finance class and I use it all the time. Question for you, I'm having problems with screen orientation since upgrading to webOS 3.0.5, is there a way to lock in a default orientation, like say landscape no matter how the TP is currently oriented? Also, how do you select different screen/button (model?) layouts like in your screenshots?

Thanks!

johncc
01/30/2012, 05:39 PM
Hi John,

Kuddos for developing this app. I'm taking a finance class and I use it all the time. Question for you, I'm having problems with screen orientation since upgrading to webOS 3.0.5, is there a way to lock in a default orientation, like say landscape no matter how the TP is currently oriented? Also, how do you select different screen/button (model?) layouts like in your screenshots?

Thanks!

Are you using the latest version 0.6.0

johncc
02/02/2012, 04:50 AM
Hi John,

Thanks!

Are you using the latest version 0.6.0

Apologies. I should have checked the Touchpad operation. I have just run Calc12C on my Touchpad under webOS 3.0.5 and have found that HP have changed the orientation code yet again. :censored: The landscape orientations are upside down. Standby for a fix and in the mean time use the orientation lock if you want to use landscape.

The illustrated portrait orientations are only displayed on phones.

johncc
02/02/2012, 05:28 AM
New version to cope with 3.0.5. Don't update unless you are on 3.0.5

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11474544/com.palm.app.johncc.calc12c_0.7.0_all.ipk

NOTE TO HP: Stop stuffing around with Touchpad orientation. You had it right with 3.0.4