Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 104
Like Tree2Likes
  1. rmull61's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    #81  
    Hey everyone,

    I just bought this app last night for the purpose of having more control over which local files are displayed during exhibition mode. However, every time I try to add local folders, the app gets hung up on one of the folders and never finishes. It picks up all my facebook folders that WebOS saved locally when I added my account to Synergy and seems to have the most trouble with those. I have tried disabling those photos, but it appears they are still saved locally some where on the TP. I only really want to display one folder (which has 400 photos, all reformatted to remove all symbols and underscores just in case). Does anyone know a solution to my problem? I have tried deleting all the feeds, re-adding feeds and letting it sit over night.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmull61 View Post
    Hey everyone,

    I just bought this app last night for the purpose of having more control over which local files are displayed during exhibition mode. However, every time I try to add local folders, the app gets hung up on one of the folders and never finishes. It picks up all my facebook folders that WebOS saved locally when I added my account to Synergy and seems to have the most trouble with those. I have tried disabling those photos, but it appears they are still saved locally some where on the TP. I only really want to display one folder (which has 400 photos, all reformatted to remove all symbols and underscores just in case). Does anyone know a solution to my problem? I have tried deleting all the feeds, re-adding feeds and letting it sit over night.
    Send me a PM or an email through the app and we can figure out a way to resolve the problem.
  3. arbywon's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #83  
    I am primarily using this touchpad as a photo frame (but of course, it's available for occasional email and web search). I really like Slide RSS for this.

    I just added two new albums but sliderss doesn't find them. The touchpad's photo app finds and displays them. I know it may take a while but I have left sliderss running in exhibition mode for the past 24 hours and still no joy.

    Any suggestions?
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by arbywon View Post
    I am primarily using this touchpad as a photo frame (but of course, it's available for occasional email and web search). I really like Slide RSS for this.

    I just added two new albums but sliderss doesn't find them. The touchpad's photo app finds and displays them. I know it may take a while but I have left sliderss running in exhibition mode for the past 24 hours and still no joy.

    Any suggestions?
    Slide RSS won't find local folders automatically. You'll need to use the menu option off the main screen for "Feeds", "Add Local Albums" to re-add all local albums. Any local albums that you previously added will be left alone, and then the new ones should be added at the bottom of the list.
  5. arbywon's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #85  
    Got it. Thanks.

    As an enhancement request, it would really be great to have an option to ignore photos in the opposite display mode. That is , if the tp is currently in landscape mode, skip the next photo if it has a "portrait" orientation and similarly, if the tp is currently in portrait mode, ignore the next photo if it is formatted as "landscape". This would significantly enhance the app for photo frame use and, I think, significantly aid in showing off photos to a friend on a phone (eliminates turning the phone constantly to get the full picture).

    Other than that, thanks for a great app.
  6. arbywon's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #86  
    I have deleted my old folders and added 4 new folders with 1714, 1635 278 and 166 photos respectively. On the sliderss main screen, the 4 folders are listed with the size on the far right shown as 0 over the sizes just mentioned. There is "movement" so the icon carrying the sizes to I would take that as sliderss is processing the images. Unfortunately, there has been no change for the past 24 hours.

    What can I do?
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by arbywon View Post
    I have deleted my old folders and added 4 new folders with 1714, 1635 278 and 166 photos respectively. On the sliderss main screen, the 4 folders are listed with the size on the far right shown as 0 over the sizes just mentioned. There is "movement" so the icon carrying the sizes to I would take that as sliderss is processing the images. Unfortunately, there has been no change for the past 24 hours.

    What can I do?
    Folders should generally have less than to 500 photos to run smoothly, and if you have even that many, you should also be sure to have resized the photos as well. Pictures that are in the several megapixel range can run, but transitions may not work properly or will stutter. Pictures should be resized to fit inside of 1024x768 if you prefer your photos centered or to fit around 1024x768 if you prefer to see your photos zoomed in.

    Since the folders don't seem to be picking up properly, I'd swipe to delete those four. Then exit the app and take care of dividing up at least the two folder with over 1000 photos into smaller folders and resizing the photos if necessary. After that you can double check with the stock Photos app to make sure that the new folders are recognized properly with the expected number of photos and then restart Slide RSS and try the "Feeds","Add Local Albums" to try adding the reconfigured local folders again.
  8. #88  
    Hello,

    I just bought Slide RSS in order to easily display local folders in Exhibition mode (stock application is too buggy).

    Here are a few remarks:

    I had some pictures folders (D1, D2, D3, ...) in directory DCIM, some images in Wallpapers and some album folders (MA,MB, MC, ...) with pictures in Music.
    When I add local folders, every directory with an image is added in the view, and even directory which contains subdirectory with an image: DCIM, D1, D2, D3, MA, MB, MC

    1) Strangely enough, Music folder is not displayed in the local folders list, so I cannot globally ignored all directories under Music. I had to ignore manually every sub directory MA, MB, MC, ...

    2) Is it possible to use a hierarchical tree with checkboxes to enable/disable local folders ? It seems a standard solution (see images below extracted from Amarok folder selection) to globally add and selectively disable folders.

    3) Each picture directory contains roughly 200-300 pictures, with an average size of 2-3 Mo. As I was in a hurry I tried disabling some local folders before the scan was complete and it seems that it results in a update endless stuck loop (symbols after each directory are still moving but nothing more happen after several hours). Is it possible to have a "verbose" or "details" button, to see what is Slide RSS doing in order to see if it's stuck or not ?

    Thanks for this neat little application !
    Attached Images Attached Images
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
    Hello,

    I just bought Slide RSS in order to easily display local folders in Exhibition mode (stock application is too buggy).

    Here are a few remarks:

    I had some pictures folders (D1, D2, D3, ...) in directory DCIM, some images in Wallpapers and some album folders (MA,MB, MC, ...) with pictures in Music.
    When I add local folders, every directory with an image is added in the view, and even directory which contains subdirectory with an image: DCIM, D1, D2, D3, MA, MB, MC

    1) Strangely enough, Music folder is not displayed in the local folders list, so I cannot globally ignored all directories under Music. I had to ignore manually every sub directory MA, MB, MC, ...

    2) Is it possible to use a hierarchical tree with checkboxes to enable/disable local folders ? It seems a standard solution (see images below extracted from Amarok folder selection) to globally add and selectively disable folders.

    3) Each picture directory contains roughly 200-300 pictures, with an average size of 2-3 Mo. As I was in a hurry I tried disabling some local folders before the scan was complete and it seems that it results in a update endless stuck loop (symbols after each directory are still moving but nothing more happen after several hours). Is it possible to have a "verbose" or "details" button, to see what is Slide RSS doing in order to see if it's stuck or not ?

    Thanks for this neat little application !
    Thanks for the suggestions! We'll take a look and see what's feasible for us to add.
  10. #90  
    Hi... Thank you for the great app, but since I upgraded my webOS to 2.2.4, I have been experiencing the same problem with local folders highlighted by others above: The app scans local folders endlessly and cannot seem to read the image files. I hope you can fix this.

    Happy new year!
  11. #91  
    Hello,

    Still assessing Slide RSS to display local folders.
    Here are a few more issues I have found:

    1) If no Wifi connection is present, Slide RSS will refuse to add Local folders (!)

    2) If Wifi connection dropped during scanning of Local folders. Scanning will freeze. Exiting Slide RSS and relaunching will then cause to freeze on the startup screen. Only a Luna restart will allow to get past the startup screen and to delete all feeds and to re-add Local folders (and so to rescan...).

    3) Disabling folders doesn't prevent them to be scanned (I have a lot of cover images in my music folders which I don't want to be scanned).

    4) A buggy 0 byte image cause the whole scanning process to freeze.

    I wanted to use Slide RSS for displaying my big collection of pictures (>5000) in Exhibition mode. So far I'm runnning into a lot of problems that I'm debugging little by little.

    Regards,
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by osmanmia View Post
    Hi... Thank you for the great app, but since I upgraded my webOS to 2.2.4, I have been experiencing the same problem with local folders highlighted by others above: The app scans local folders endlessly and cannot seem to read the image files. I hope you can fix this.

    Happy new year!
    So the correct way to stop the endless scanning is to completely close the app by tossing away the main card and swiping away the notification (and if you have the app running in Exhibition Mode, you need to switch away to something else there as well). You should never need to Luna Restart to get Slide RSS to start up cleanly. If you do, please detail the steps (either here or via email). Please also note the number of local albums and local photos that you have and their average size per photo.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
    Hello,

    Still assessing Slide RSS to display local folders.
    Here are a few more issues I have found:

    1) If no Wifi connection is present, Slide RSS will refuse to add Local folders (!)

    2) If Wifi connection dropped during scanning of Local folders. Scanning will freeze. Exiting Slide RSS and relaunching will then cause to freeze on the startup screen. Only a Luna restart will allow to get past the startup screen and to delete all feeds and to re-add Local folders (and so to rescan...).

    3) Disabling folders doesn't prevent them to be scanned (I have a lot of cover images in my music folders which I don't want to be scanned).

    4) A buggy 0 byte image cause the whole scanning process to freeze.

    I wanted to use Slide RSS for displaying my big collection of pictures (>5000) in Exhibition mode. So far I'm runnning into a lot of problems that I'm debugging little by little.

    Regards,
    1) This is correct. The app was originally designed only for RSS feeds which require some internet connectivity. Unfortunately, separating local file scanning from remote updating is not currently on the roadmap.

    2) Please see my above response to osmanmia for details on properly exiting Slide RSS so that you won't require a Luna Restart.

    3) Disabling particular albums will prevent them from being rescanned. However, deleting them will not, as all albums not already in the list are picked up, so if you want to block activity for a particular album, let it be recognized, then disable it. You can drag the folders you want to see up to the top and leave the ones that you don't want to see disabled and towards the bottom of the list. There isn't currently a way to block off certain directories as the media on your device is indexed by webOS and not by our app. We're looking into some filtering options but you shouldn't expect any quick fixes.

    4) 0 bytes images are particularly troublesome and to the extent that you can, you should remove them from your device. On the TouchPad, if you enable Synergy photo accounts, this can be a pretty severe problem if the Synergy account does not setup properly. Those photos (and accompanying thumbnails) are saved into a "hidden" folder named ".photosApp".

    Slide RSS will also have difficulty with photos that have either the "#" or the "?", but should notify you if it finds any of them. If you find any other issues, please continue to let us know and we'll incorporate as many changes/fixes as are feasible. We recently submitted version 1.4.4 which will include several RSS downloading bugfixes, mainly due to some detailed user feedback. Also coming in the version 1.4.4 will be a new Pan & Zoom transition for fans of the "Ken Burns" effect ...
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    1) This is correct. The app was originally designed only for RSS feeds which require some internet connectivity. Unfortunately, separating local file scanning from remote updating is not currently on the roadmap.
    I humbly request that you think about separating them in the future.
    Indeed we may not always have internet connexion everywhere we go (that is the point of having a light tablet) but we may have to add/delete pictures even without internet connexion.
    It also seem _very_ strange that losing the internet connexion during scanning of local folders freeze everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    2) Please see my above response to osmanmia for details on properly exiting Slide RSS so that you won't require a Luna Restart.
    I used your method and I ran again into the issue today (frozen startup screen). I'll try to find a reproductible setup. I'm not sure if it's completely frozen or if it is doing background scan though.

    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    3) Disabling particular albums will prevent them from being rescanned. However, deleting them will not, as all albums not already in the list are picked up, so if you want to block activity for a particular album, let it be recognized, then disable it. You can drag the folders you want to see up to the top and leave the ones that you don't want to see disabled and towards the bottom of the list. There isn't currently a way to block off certain directories as the media on your device is indexed by webOS and not by our app. We're looking into some filtering options but you shouldn't expect any quick fixes.
    Please also consider the approach that I have previously proposed (selectable hierarchical tree of directory). I have currently a lot of covers in my music directories and all these directories appear in Slide RSS wich make it very difficult to read.

    Today I managed to scan my whole directory by removing one directory with 4000 small pictures.
    With this big directory, the scan doesn't even start (or I am not patient enough). It seems that before scanning all the pictures (i.e. when all the circles are animated but before seeing the number of scanned pictures increasing), Slide RSS is reading again all the pictures. Because the greater the number of pictures, the longer I have to wait before the actual scan.

    I ran into another bug also: when all the folders are correctly scanned (i.e. each one can be tapped on to display the pictures), I quit Slide RSS and launch it again. Now some directories are back at 0% scan, some at 100% scan, and some at roughly 50% scan. I haven't managed to rescan the missing pictures except by deleting everything and adding everything again (but next time I launched RSS, I will randomly lose directories).

    Can you add an option to rescan individual directories ? It will help a lot.

    Thank you for having taken the time to answer me !

    Best regards,

    P.S.: my current collection have 2+25+285+110+71+332+26+7+322+200+11 pictures
    Last edited by SaintGermain; 01/03/2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: mimssing info
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
    I humbly request that you think about separating them in the future.
    Indeed we may not always have internet connexion everywhere we go (that is the point of having a light tablet) but we may have to add/delete pictures even without internet connexion.
    It also seem _very_ strange that losing the internet connexion during scanning of local folders freeze everything.
    It's on the list of known bugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
    I used your method and I ran again into the issue today (frozen startup screen). I'll try to find a reproductible setup. I'm not sure if it's completely frozen or if it is doing background scan though.

    Please also consider the approach that I have previously proposed (selectable hierarchical tree of directory). I have currently a lot of covers in my music directories and all these directories appear in Slide RSS wich make it very difficult to read.
    This would be a nice feature, but webOS has no built-in widget to handle this functionality. Some form of this type of functionality would be more likely to make it into Slide Master (the local photos-focused app) first. If that code turns out to be highly portable, it might make its way back into Slide RSS.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
    Today I managed to scan my whole directory by removing one directory with 4000 small pictures.
    With this big directory, the scan doesn't even start (or I am not patient enough). It seems that before scanning all the pictures (i.e. when all the circles are animated but before seeing the number of scanned pictures increasing), Slide RSS is reading again all the pictures. Because the greater the number of pictures, the longer I have to wait before the actual scan.
    Slide Master has a more optimized version of local file scanning, so if you only wish to handle local photos, it's the better choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
    I ran into another bug also: when all the folders are correctly scanned (i.e. each one can be tapped on to display the pictures), I quit Slide RSS and launch it again. Now some directories are back at 0% scan, some at 100% scan, and some at roughly 50% scan. I haven't managed to rescan the missing pictures except by deleting everything and adding everything again (but next time I launched RSS, I will randomly lose directories).
    The screen update turns out to be slightly ahead of the complete processing. Every update is handled asynchronously, so with several hundred photos, it turns out that saving the data takes a bit of time (and it takes longer on the TouchPad than on phone devices, despite the raw processor advantage). For your case, even after the list appears to be fully populated, please allow the app sufficient time to fully save all of the data. Just allow Slide RSS to run in the background while you handle something else. Although it's frustrating, this initial load is the most time-consuming part as the app must identify your photos' dimensions as well. Refreshing (the button in the bottom right, which handles adds/deletes of photos in existing albums) will take significantly less time.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
    Can you add an option to rescan individual directories ? It will help a lot.

    Thank you for having taken the time to answer me !

    Best regards,

    P.S.: my current collection have 2+25+285+110+71+332+26+7+322+200+11 pictures
    What is the average size of your photos? Have they been resized?
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    This would be a nice feature, but webOS has no built-in widget to handle this functionality. Some form of this type of functionality would be more likely to make it into Slide Master (the local photos-focused app) first. If that code turns out to be highly portable, it might make its way back into Slide RSS.
    Ok no problem. The most important IMHO is to improve first the scanning. The rest can wait.

    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    Slide Master has a more optimized version of local file scanning, so if you only wish to handle local photos, it's the better choice.
    I wanted to "play" with RSS feeds, but I wanted first to display local folders. As I like to support helpful developpers, I spent some time debugging the Local folders scanning first ! ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    The screen update turns out to be slightly ahead of the complete processing. Every update is handled asynchronously, so with several hundred photos, it turns out that saving the data takes a bit of time (and it takes longer on the TouchPad than on phone devices, despite the raw processor advantage). For your case, even after the list appears to be fully populated, please allow the app sufficient time to fully save all of the data. Just allow Slide RSS to run in the background while you handle something else. Although it's frustrating, this initial load is the most time-consuming part as the app must identify your photos' dimensions as well. Refreshing (the button in the bottom right, which handles adds/deletes of photos in existing albums) will take significantly less time.
    Ok, I'll let it rest then.

    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    What is the average size of your photos? Have they been resized?
    They are all between 500 ko and 2 Mo. Most of them are the pictures taken from my compact camera (i.e. not resized).

    Regards,
  16. #96  
    i get abtitle but a bg x for an image.
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by dagher2@hotmail.com View Post
    i get abtitle but a bg x for an image.
    This indicates that a picture can't be found. Is this a photo from an RSS feed or from a local folder? Was a refresh going on when this happened?
  18. Semma2's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #98  
    I've been experimenting with a new NAS with DLNA server that I got over the holidays, and I've realized that there's a bit of a hole in my available apps. The NAS would make a good photo server, in that it has plenty of storage space, and it runs at pretty low power (12 watts) so it can be left on all the time. It would seem to make a good match with the TouchPad in Exhibit mode as a photo source. I normally use SlideRSS as my Exhibit-mode photo display app, but unfortunately SlideRSS doesn't support DLNA photo streaming, and the TouchPad can't access network shared drives directly. The available DLNA client apps for the TouchPad (BHome and UPnP AV PLayer) support slide shows from a DLNA photo stream, but their implementation is a rudimentary afterthought compared to SlideRSS (e.g., no timing or transition control), and they don't support Exhibit mode at all. The NAS itself has a slide show web interface, but with limitations similar to the DLNA clients, and the web slide show page is much more cluttered with browser controls.

    So what's the chances that SlideRSS could borrow some code somewhere to become a DLNA photo streaming client? Or should I badger the DLNA client app developers instead to improve their slide show players and add Exhibit mode? Or look for a WebOS hack to support network file shares and try to get it working with SlideRSS?
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I've been experimenting with a new NAS with DLNA server that I got over the holidays, and I've realized that there's a bit of a hole in my available apps. The NAS would make a good photo server, in that it has plenty of storage space, and it runs at pretty low power (12 watts) so it can be left on all the time. It would seem to make a good match with the TouchPad in Exhibit mode as a photo source. I normally use SlideRSS as my Exhibit-mode photo display app, but unfortunately SlideRSS doesn't support DLNA photo streaming, and the TouchPad can't access network shared drives directly. The available DLNA client apps for the TouchPad (BHome and UPnP AV PLayer) support slide shows from a DLNA photo stream, but their implementation is a rudimentary afterthought compared to SlideRSS (e.g., no timing or transition control), and they don't support Exhibit mode at all. The NAS itself has a slide show web interface, but with limitations similar to the DLNA clients, and the web slide show page is much more cluttered with browser controls.

    So what's the chances that SlideRSS could borrow some code somewhere to become a DLNA photo streaming client? Or should I badger the DLNA client app developers instead to improve their slide show players and add Exhibit mode? Or look for a WebOS hack to support network file shares and try to get it working with SlideRSS?
    There's no streaming support in SlideRSS and that's not likely to change. All photos used in the app wind up on the device, including the photos from the RSS feeds.

    We could look into DLNA streaming, but that would be in the interest of a new separate app.

    Hacking support for network shares will only help if you are also able to force the webOS Media Indexer to see and index the media on those network shares.
  20. Semma2's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #100  
    Following up on my suggestion above, I notice that the BHome DLNA client has just been updated to add Exhibit mode for photos. It's not very flexible so far - the only options are the transition time and full-screen, and you can't change the default wood-grain background.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions