Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by clamdee View Post
    Fantastic app! I could not find an app that was anywhere close to being as refined as this one for my Touchpad.

Ars there any plans on working in the ability to use feeds that have videos in them? I have many photos feeding to my Touchpad but I would love the ability to add in an occasional video as well.

YouTube and Video have RSS feeds and I tried both of my personal feeds but neither worked :-(
    Sorry, there are no plans related to videos at this time.
    Last edited by appsotutely; 10/04/2011 at 06:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    It appears that Slide RSS continues to cycle through the photo feeds even when the TouchPad display is turned off while sitting in the Touchstone charger. It always displays the last photo briefly when it wakes up, but then jumps way ahead in the sequence (I have it set to follow the sequence and not randomize). I assume that the photos are cached locally so that it isn't wasting internet bandwidth fetching them all the time while the display is off, but I would prefer it to continue where it left off on the last displayed photo. Is it possible for Slide RSS to detect when the screen is off and suspend the display cycle until it turns on again?

I mentioned that I previously used the very useful FrameChannel service to combine multiple text and photo RSS feeds into one photo RSS stream for my Kodak wifi photo frame. Unfortunately FrameChannel is now defunct. There is a guy trying to start up a homebrew replacement at FrameAlbum (beta) - A FrameChannel service replacement. It's still in beta test, and so far he only has photo RSS feeds from a few sources working. Still, worth checking out once in a while to see how far he's gotten. He has a blog (linked from the site) with progress reports, and you can sign up for the beta test on his site.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    It appears that Slide RSS continues to cycle through the photo feeds even when the TouchPad display is turned off while sitting in the Touchstone charger. It always displays the last photo briefly when it wakes up, but then jumps way ahead in the sequence (I have it set to follow the sequence and not randomize). I assume that the photos are cached locally so that it isn't wasting internet bandwidth fetching them all the time while the display is off, but I would prefer it to continue where it left off on the last displayed photo. Is it possible for Slide RSS to detect when the screen is off and suspend the display cycle until it turns on again?
    This is an interesting use case I had not noticed before. Turning it off when not on the Touchstone (even while running Exhibition from the preferences app) does not display the same behavior. We'll look into stopping the timer in this case as well. The RSS photos are indeed cached locally and are only updated with either a manual or an automatic refresh (according to your preference).

Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I mentioned that I previously used the very useful FrameChannel service to combine multiple text and photo RSS feeds into one photo RSS stream for my Kodak wifi photo frame. Unfortunately FrameChannel is now defunct. There is a guy trying to start up a homebrew replacement at FrameAlbum (beta) - A FrameChannel service replacement. It's still in beta test, and so far he only has photo RSS feeds from a few sources working. Still, worth checking out once in a while to see how far he's gotten. He has a blog (linked from the site) with progress reports, and you can sign up for the beta test on his site.
    FrameChannel was indeed useful and was one of the original services that was supported by Slide RSS. We'll keep an eye on FrameAlbum and see how it progresses.
    A couple of problems/requests:

First off, the big problem keeping me from really enjoying SlideRSS: Exhibition stops after 10-15 minutes! Whether on the touchstone or not, after some amount of time, the screen just goes black (the notification bar is still there). It's not frozen, as I can touch and change things as if a photo were on display, but there isn't...and I can't swipe to change to a photo. I'm not sure if there is some sort of incompatible photo on my touchpad...but I don't think so because it happens after about the same amount of time each time. Any ideas?

I'm also having the problem where after I leave exhibition mode, and go back in, it defaults to using the clock instead of SlideRSS. I've tried "close on exit" on and off and I get the same behavior.

Now for a couple of requests. I think it's been mentioned a few other times, and it sounds like no one has found a solution yet, but it'd be really nice to get rid of the top status bar during exhibition mode, and make it full screen.

For both slideshow and exhibition, two options other than center, zoom and stretch would be nice. One is an option like zoom that fills the screen, but accounts for portrait or landscape photos depending on the orientation. If I'm in landscape mode, I don't mind the slight cutoff on the landscape photo edges to fill the screen, but I don't want portrait photos zoomed in so much...most are framed in a way that you lose a lot of the point, plus it becomes quite grainy. So if you can either read the orientation tag, or recognize that it's in another orientation, just fit to the screen without zooming.

Another option would be a pan and scan like a lot of slideshows have. Perhaps user configurable as to how much to zoom in on each photo. This would also solve some of the orientation issue above. I don't always like it as it can be cheesy, but maybe just for the variety it would be cool.

Also, I think it's been mentioned before, but selecting which albums to show in slideshow/exhibition.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by olevelo View Post
    A couple of problems/requests:

First off, the big problem keeping me from really enjoying SlideRSS: Exhibition stops after 10-15 minutes! Whether on the touchstone or not, after some amount of time, the screen just goes black (the notification bar is still there). It's not frozen, as I can touch and change things as if a photo were on display, but there isn't...and I can't swipe to change to a photo. I'm not sure if there is some sort of incompatible photo on my touchpad...but I don't think so because it happens after about the same amount of time each time. Any ideas?

I'm also having the problem where after I leave exhibition mode, and go back in, it defaults to using the clock instead of SlideRSS. I've tried "close on exit" on and off and I get the same behavior.
    That's a bit strange and not something we've heard about to this point. Do you have auto-updating turned on for every 15 minutes? This could add/remove photos from the stream and this probably wasn't taken into account for while the slideshow was already running. If not, then please turn on all the titling features (picture count, picture title, and feed title) and see if you can detect any common thread for when the issue happens. You can always send us an email as well if you're comfortable helping with us more detailed debugging.

Now for a couple of requests. I think it's been mentioned a few other times, and it sounds like no one has found a solution yet, but it'd be really nice to get rid of the top status bar during exhibition mode, and make it full screen.
    This is beyond the app's control, but if an intrepid patcher finds a way to make it happen, it should happen for all Exhibition apps. Alternatively, instead of the Exhibition slideshow mode, you can use the main app's slideshow mode, which can go fullscreen and can be set to block the screen timeout.

For both slideshow and exhibition, two options other than center, zoom and stretch would be nice. One is an option like zoom that fills the screen, but accounts for portrait or landscape photos depending on the orientation. If I'm in landscape mode, I don't mind the slight cutoff on the landscape photo edges to fill the screen, but I don't want portrait photos zoomed in so much...most are framed in a way that you lose a lot of the point, plus it becomes quite grainy. So if you can either read the orientation tag, or recognize that it's in another orientation, just fit to the screen without zooming.

Another option would be a pan and scan like a lot of slideshows have. Perhaps user configurable as to how much to zoom in on each photo. This would also solve some of the orientation issue above. I don't always like it as it can be cheesy, but maybe just for the variety it would be cool.
    Thank you for the suggestions. We'll pass these along to the development team.

Also, I think it's been mentioned before, but selecting which albums to show in slideshow/exhibition.
    You do have this option. In Exhibition, you can go to the Exhibition Preferences and pick from All (enabled feeds) or a single specific feed. In the main app, tap any particular feed to show just that feed, or enable the feeds you want to show and then tap the All feed to show only those enabled feeds. If you're requesting an alternate, less indirect method to multi-select albums, then yes, we're looking into that.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have auto-update turned on, so that's not the problem. I have all of the titling stuff turned off, so I'll try turning that on and see what's going on.

For the album selection, I was talking about the ability to select multiple albums. Now that I think about it, another thing that would be nice is to be able to browse thumbnails of the albums...basically make it a fully featured photo browsing app that could replace the built-in app. Or if there was a way to browse the "downloaded" synced photos from Picasa (or wherever) in the builtin photo browser.
  7.    #67  
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have auto-update turned on, so that's not the problem. I have all of the titling stuff turned off, so I'll try turning that on and see what's going on.

For the album selection, I was talking about the ability to select multiple albums. Now that I think about it, another thing that would be nice is to be able to browse thumbnails of the albums...basically make it a fully featured photo browsing app that could replace the built-in app. Or if there was a way to browse the "downloaded" synced photos from Picasa (or wherever) in the builtin photo browser.
    You can browse the thumbnails for each album by tapping on the stats at the left or the right of each feed to popup the context menu and tap on "Set Playlist".
    OK, I figured out the problem. It's because I had auto-rotate wallpaper set to 15 minutes. So on the hour, and at 15, 30 and 45 past, it would freeze. I turned that off and now it works fine. Except I liked rotating the wallpaper! So it's still a no-win.
  9.    #69  
    OK, I figured out the problem. It's because I had auto-rotate wallpaper set to 15 minutes. So on the hour, and at 15, 30 and 45 past, it would freeze. I turned that off and now it works fine. Except I liked rotating the wallpaper! So it's still a no-win.
    That's definitely a buggy interaction between those two features. Thanks for identifying a couple of issues for us to look at. We should be able to issue a fix by next week.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I'm having a problem where Slide RSS is not working in exhibition mode, in that it just shows a grey background.
    I have added feeds of photos back in Slide RSS itself...and I can start a slideshow in this mode...however in exhibition mode this does not display.

Reading through this forum I have seen a reference to "exhibition preferences". I'm guessing this is a place where I can select what photo albums I want to show? Unfortunately I cannot find "exhibition preferences" for Slide RSS...have tried tapping/dragging/touching everything in sight! The top left arrow only lets me choose other options lke the clock...

I've also tried googling this and searching precentral...and the help....but I'm stuck!

Any ideas why I've only got grey showing for slide rss in exhibition mode?
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    Hi,
    I'm having a problem where Slide RSS is not working in exhibition mode, in that it just shows a grey background.
    I have added feeds of photos back in Slide RSS itself...and I can start a slideshow in this mode...however in exhibition mode this does not display.

Any ideas why I've only got grey showing for slide rss in exhibition mode?
    For the grey showing while in Exhibition Mode, do you happen to have either auto-updating or wallpaper-switching turned on for really short intervals? If you have either enabled currently, can you disable both and try again. Olevelo just helped identify a bug with Wallpaper switching interfering with Exhibition Mode and there's a similar bug when feeds update and remove some photos. If it's either of these bugs, they are being worked on already and a fix will be out shortly. Also, from the main app's Preferences, can you turn on any of the titling options: "Show Picture Count", "Show Picture Title", and "Show Feed Title", and then confirm if at least these titles show up at the top of the grey screen when you're in Exhibition Mode.

While in Exhibition Mode with Slide RSS loaded, if you tap on the screen, do you get anything at all on the screen? When you first load up Slide RSS while in Exhibition Mode, does it go through its startup animation?

Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    Reading through this forum I have seen a reference to "exhibition preferences". I'm guessing this is a place where I can select what photo albums I want to show? Unfortunately I cannot find "exhibition preferences" for Slide RSS...have tried tapping/dragging/touching everything in sight! The top left arrow only lets me choose other options lke the clock...

I've also tried googling this and searching precentral...and the help....but I'm stuck!
    The "Exhibition Preferences" are reached by tapping the screen (a single tap anywhere other than on the topbar) to put the slideshow into Pause mode which should show the current picture and two icons in the bottom corners: a popup menu button on the bottom left and a play button on the bottom right. Tapping the popup menu button on the bottom left will show the menu that includes "Exhibition Settings".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    For the grey showing while in Exhibition Mode, do you happen to have either auto-updating or wallpaper-switching turned on for really short intervals? .
    Thanks so much for the great support..I'm pretty sure I had turned on auto updating at a very small interval...anyway I just deleted/reinstalled app and it worked straightaway with auto updating off. I Can now also pause the app etc in exhibition mode, where previously it did nothing. Thanks for the tip!
    Something I would like to see is the ability to rearrange photos within a feed. I am a photographer looking to show images on my TP but need to be able to arrange them in a certain order. A simple drag to reorder photos feature would be great. Thanks.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by materas View Post
    Something I would like to see is the ability to rearrange photos within a feed. I am a photographer looking to show images on my TP but need to be able to arrange them in a certain order. A simple drag to reorder photos feature would be great. Thanks.
    Thanks for the suggestion! We'll look into it.
    Just downloaded the new update, and it looks like it's working great now! Wallpaper changes don't stop the exhibition slideshow. And it seems to be resuming the slideshow when I put it on the touchstone now, so that's good! It's a bit funky, in that it shows 2-3 pictures really quickly before settling down, but not a big deal...I can live with that as long as I don't have to tell it to play each time I set it down. I had to set it to "do not close on exit" or whatever the setting is. I assume I'll probably have to reselect it after a reboot, but again, hopefully that won't be too often.

Thanks for the quick turnaround!
  16.    #76  
    Just downloaded the new update, and it looks like it's working great now! Wallpaper changes don't stop the exhibition slideshow. And it seems to be resuming the slideshow when I put it on the touchstone now, so that's good! It's a bit funky, in that it shows 2-3 pictures really quickly before settling down, but not a big deal...I can live with that as long as I don't have to tell it to play each time I set it down. I had to set it to "do not close on exit" or whatever the setting is. I assume I'll probably have to reselect it after a reboot, but again, hopefully that won't be too often.

Thanks for the quick turnaround!
    We're happy to hear it's working properly for you now and thank you for bringing the issue to light, so that we could fix it!
    Another option would be a pan and scan like a lot of slideshows have. Perhaps user configurable as to how much to zoom in on each photo.
    If adding a preference option to center, zoom or stretch each photo adds too much overhead for smooth operation, perhaps a future enhancement to add preferences to individual folders could work.

I have a lot of landscape scenes which are almost at the touchpad resolution, but have a gap at the top or bottom or both. Streching them does not make a noticible difference to the photo, but fills out the screen nicely.

Other photos which would look distorted by stretching could be in their own folders.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    If adding a preference option to center, zoom or stretch each photo adds too much overhead for smooth operation, perhaps a future enhancement to add preferences to individual folders could work.

I have a lot of landscape scenes which are almost at the touchpad resolution, but have a gap at the top or bottom or both. Streching them does not make a noticible difference to the photo, but fills out the screen nicely.

Other photos which would look distorted by stretching could be in their own folders.
    Thank you for the suggestion. We'll take a look at it.
    I live in Belgium where HP prevents users even from seeing "Paid" applications, and when I try through the web I finally get "there is no payment system to allow you to do that"... I have paypal, visa, amex and whatever you want... How can I source (paid) this application ?
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by yvanvanwelden View Post
    I live in Belgium where HP prevents users even from seeing "Paid" applications, and when I try through the web I finally get "there is no payment system to allow you to do that"... I have paypal, visa, amex and whatever you want... How can I source (paid) this application ?
    If you know how to homebrew, you might look into Impostah
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast