Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wayne@angrygoat
  1.    #1  
    Important
    After the App Catalog closes for good I will be ceasing support for Squeeze Player. The link here for direct download will still work for now, but no guarantees it remain working indefinitely.
    If you've moved on to Android, I have equivalent app called SB Player. In fact it is what consider the finished version of this app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.sbplayer

(BETA SOFTWARE)

Current version is 0.7.1

Squeeze Player is a software Squeezebox player built for the Touchpad and Pre3, but should work with older devices provided that the device meets certain requirements. This is a continuation of my Squeeze Control Player app, changing it from a PDK app to a hybrid app (plus a lot of bug fixes and internal improvements). This change finally allows the audio to continue playing while the app is in the background.

For the Pre/Pre+/Pre2/Veer
    - webOS 2.1.0 or better
    - the 'HP Maps' app (the one that adds enyo support).
    - The current layout is made to fit the Pre3 and Touchpad only, so the screen will be cutoff at the bottom.

This will NOT work on the Pixi

This app is currently in the beta. I'm releasing it right now because there is a demand for it and it should be stable enough for normal use.The existing design of the app is meant for debugging and does NOT reflect what the final design will be.

Features and limitations
    - Works with a local Squeezebox Server, with preliminary support for MySqueezebox.com. There's currently no way to directly register the app with your MySqueezebox account. You'll first have to connect to a local server and then use a controller(or Squeeze Control) to tell the app to switch to using MySqueezebox.com. After doing this once, you should be able to connect directly the next time.

- Native decoding of FLAC, AAC, ALAC, ogg, mp3, aif, & PCM formats. Your local server will automatically convert all other formats.

- Internet Streams: Only http and Shoutcast protocols are supported, which should be most streams. This includes apps like AccuRadio, Slacker, MP3tunes.

- The free version of Pandora doesn't work. Logitech restricts it from working with software players. The paid version may work but untested, Rhapsody doesn't work.

- Streams using unsupported formats or protocols should still work if the app is connected to a local server.

- Sychronization works, but will never be perfect. A software player on a low power device is just not accurate enough.

Changes in the current version:
    -Added support for replay gain.

This app is available in the App Catalog for the Pre3 and Touchpad. Due to the app review process, the latest version will always be available here first. If you don't want to wait for the latest version to be available in the App Catalog or you have an older device, you can download it here:

Download Current Version

Older versions

This software uses code of Libav licensed under the LGPLv2.1 and its source can be downloaded here
    Last edited by wayne@angrygoat; 10/24/2014 at 04:34 PM.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Babylon6 and gderoiste like this.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Fantastic! It works!
    I now have three Squeezebox players
    just dropped In to say a massive thanks. I cannot wait to see this app completed. Great work sir.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I was able to connect to my Logitech Media Server from my brother's house via my TouchPad's browser and play songs to my TouchPad thanks to Squeeze Player.

For that you need to forward some ports on your router. Here are what I put in it:
    Port number: 3483 (TCP) - Name: LMS Control (for Squeeze Player to work)
    Port number: 3483 (UDP) - Name: LMS Discovery (I don't know its purpose)
    Port number: 9002 (TCP) - Name: LMS Web (for LMS web GUI to work)

So in brief, the squeeze Player stay in the background and I control and manage/see the playlist with the help of the LMS web GUI via the TouchPad browser

One more thing, in the Squeeze Player you need to input the WAN IP in the Server Address field (and not the LAN IP).

Edit: I'm lucky enough to have bought a Synology NAS. Lucky because you can install the LMS on it very easily
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by phil71 View Post
    I was able to connect to my Logitech Media Server from my brother's house via my TouchPad's browser and play songs to my TouchPad thanks to Squeeze Player.

For that you need to forward some ports on your router. Here are what I put in it:
    Port number: 3483 (TCP) - Name: LMS Control (for Squeeze Player to work)
    Port number: 3483 (UDP) - Name: LMS Discovery (I don't know its purpose)
    Port number: 9002 (TCP) - Name: LMS Web (for LMS web GUI to work)

So in brief, the squeeze Player stay in the background and I control and manage/see the playlist with the help of the LMS web GUI via the TouchPad browser

One more thing, in the Squeeze Player you need to input the WAN IP in the Server Address field (and not the LAN IP).

Edit: I'm lucky enough to have bought a Synology NAS. Lucky because you can install the LMS on it very easily
    I'm a little paranoid about opening ports on my router, but since I have a personal web server I run an ssh server on that and I create an ssh tunnel on the phone to the required ports. This way all communication between my phone and my sb server is encrypted.

3483 UDP is currently not required for Squeeze Player to function, that's only used for an app to automatically find a server.

The web UI is not always on 9002. I think the default is 9000.

Update
    I just want to add that auto server discovery will not work remotely anyway, so opening 3483 UDP is pretty much pointless.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by wayne@angrygoat; 12/06/2011 at 06:23 PM.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  6.    #6  
    Incidentally, if you use Squeeze Control XL and would like to control your server remotely, it uses the same port to talk to the server as the web UI

--------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I guess I have to secure that as well.
    Here I come OpenSSH
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by phil71 View Post
    I guess I have to secure that as well.
    Here I come OpenSSH
    If you're running any sort *nix based server, an SSH server is probably already built, you just have to enable it.

On the phone or tablet, after you install OpenSSH through PreWare, you'll also need to install some sort of terminal program to access a command line. I think the only terminal currently available for the TP or Pre3 is to run XTerm on Xecutah.

To create a tunnel:

ssh -L <local port>:<lan address>:<lan port> <username>@<wan address>

For example:

ssh -L 3483:192.168.10.9:3483 music@myhomeserver.com

to create multiple tunnels to different ports or machines, just add more "-L" commands on the same line. Once you hit return, it will prompt you to enter a password. This actually will also log you in to a command shell on your server. Make sure you keep XTerm open for the tunnel to stay alive.

After you create the tunnel, set Squeeze Player's address to "127.0.0.1" ("localhost" would probably work too, but I haven't tried it)
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  9.    #9  
    An easier way to do this would to get a router with a built-in pptp based VPN. Then you can just use the TP's VPN capability securely to connect to your network. Just make sure you download the PPTP VPN app/patch from HP in the App Catalog.

The router I use for this is the CISCO RV042 which goes for ~$160 USD.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    I'll have to try this out on my wife's veer! Thanks!
    This app can't find and resolve my media server. I've checked Windows Firewall and don't see any issues.

But I just bought the Control XL app and love it. Can't wait to give this a shot again in later iterations.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GretelNick View Post
    This app can't find and resolve my media server. I've checked Windows Firewall and don't see any issues.

But I just bought the Control XL app and love it. Can't wait to give this a shot again in later iterations.
    This app does not automatically find the server. You will need to enter the address manually. Make sure you don't add a port to the address. The player connects to the server using a different port than the control app and that port is hardcoded into the app.

--------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    Make sure you don't add a port to the address. The player connects to the server using a different port than the control app and that port is hardcoded into the app.
    Aha, thanks. I was putting in the port AND http:// prefix... so it has connected now, but not playing: Decoder stopped. I'm trying to figure it out, sorry for not being your ideal beta user.

Even so, thrilled with Control XL - worth every penny, and expect the full player app will be, too.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GretelNick View Post
    Aha, thanks. I was putting in the port AND http:// prefix... so it has connected now, but not playing: Decoder stopped. I'm trying to figure it out, sorry for not being your ideal beta user.

Even so, thrilled with Control XL - worth every penny, and expect the full player app will be, too.
    Make sure that you are actually controlling the player app from controller software. It's very easy to forget to select the correct player before trying to play a song.

It says 'Decoder stopped' when the app first connects to the server, that's just part of initialization. When you start playing a song, you will usually see in the Server Messages box a strm-q message or two and then followed by a message that starts with strm-s. That message indicates that the server has requested the player to start playing a song.

If one song doesn't work, try another. Sometimes songs maybe encoded with inaudible errors that hangs up the decoder. It should handle every format that the server will send to the player except for WMA, but WMA should get automatically transcoded by the server to compatible format. On the other hand WMA internet streams will not work at all.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Thanks, big help. Player is up and running and sounding great. Very cool app. Thanks for creating it!
    SqueezePlayer not loading anymore. When I open the app I can See the message "starting plugin" and the circle turns. Then the message "restarting plugin" was shown and the circle goes on and on. Every few seconds "restarting plugin".

Lumberjack prints this message: [2014-11-19 04:06:06] (Squeeze Player) WARNING: Executing pending window params, but no params list found., file:///usr/palm/frameworks/enyo/1.0/framework/build/enyo-build.jsjsjs:$6242$

It worked for me a long time, dont know what happend, please help.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by davodego View Post
    SqueezePlayer not loading anymore. When I open the app I can See the message "starting plugin" and the circle turns. Then the message "restarting plugin" was shown and the circle goes on and on. Every few seconds "restarting plugin".

Lumberjack prints this message: [2014-11-19 04:06:06] (Squeeze Player) WARNING: Executing pending window params, but no params list found., file:///usr/palm/frameworks/enyo/1.0/framework/build/enyo-build.jsjsjs:$6242$

It worked for me a long time, dont know what happend, please help.
    Have you tried rebooting the device? The error message points to something inside the system framework and obviously I haven't changed anything in Squeeze Player for a while now, so I don't think there's anything I can do to help.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Have you tried rebooting the device? The error message points to something inside the system framework and obviously I haven't changed anything in Squeeze Player for a while now, so I don't think there's anything I can do to help.
    No reboot dont fix. Can there be a problem with the jail? Or maybe with the luneos-root partition andnthe jail?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    Sorry, reboot and update to latest version fix it. I only forgot to give squeezeplayer the domain name for the server.
    Thank you for help.