Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Hello,

I am trying to change the location of the weather to Orlando, FL, however the app cannot find the location in the Search under Preferences for Weather. How do I change the Los Angeles, California default to Orlando, FL ?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by fljoemon View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to change the location of the weather to Orlando, FL, however the app cannot find the location in the Search under Preferences for Weather. How do I change the Los Angeles, California default to Orlando, FL ?
    The Weather and city search service the app uses seems to be unavailable at to moment. Try doing the search again later.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Should be fun in the morning when wife looks at the weather temp and says .. Wow it is only 56 degrees honey .. while it is 80 degrees outside and 90% humidity :-)

@Wayne .. Thanks for the quick response! I really like this app!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by fljoemon View Post
    Should be fun in the morning when wife looks at the weather temp and says .. Wow it is only 56 degrees honey .. while it is 80 degrees outside and 90% humidity :-)

@Wayne .. Thanks for the quick response! I really like this app!
    Don't worry, the app checks the weather once an hour. If it can't connect to the service it'll display an error message. It probably grabbed the weather right before the service went down.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Reducing the brightness in the app works apparently by using darker colors but not by actually reducing the brightness of the backlight. Sitting right beside of my bed I still feel that my touchpad is illuminating the room to much. Is there a way/patch to automatically reduce the brightness of the backlight of the device after the app starts?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by konus View Post
    Reducing the brightness in the app works apparently by using darker colors but not by actually reducing the brightness of the backlight. Sitting right beside of my bed I still feel that my touchpad is illuminating the room to much. Is there a way/patch to automatically reduce the brightness of the backlight of the device after the app starts?
    There's no way for a 3rd Party app to control the brightness of the backlight, at least not with any method that would still allow the app to be sold in the App Catalog. You'll need to manually adjust the brightness. For me the default minimum brightness was still too bright, but I found a patch in Preware that reduced the minimum possible brightness (Reduce Minimum Brightness). The only problem with that patch is that the brightness slider in the device menu can't use the lower settings. You have to use the brightness slider in "Screen & Lock".
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    There's no way for a 3rd Party app to control the brightness of the backlight, at least not with any method that would still allow the app to be sold in the App Catalog.
    I was expecting that answer
    You'll need to manually adjust the brightness. For me the default minimum brightness was still too bright, but I found a patch in Preware that reduced the minimum possible brightness (Reduce Minimum Brightness). The only problem with that patch is that the brightness slider in the device menu can't use the lower settings. You have to use the brightness slider in "Screen & Lock".
    Yes, that is the way I am using it at the moment too. Going tho "Screen & Lock" is actually somewhat painful.
    But I just stumbled over a posting with a patch for the brightness slider in the device menu. I am amazed about this great community and looking forward to try this. This would still be no automatic, but I think it would be an major improvement.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    at last I have found a good alarm clock for my TouchPad!

1 problem though; it is 20 deg F with frost out here in Wisconsin, and Simple Clock thinks it is 51deg and is going to get up to the 80's! It doesn't seem to have the location right, and I can't find where to adjust it. Other apps display correct weather.

any fixes for this?

thanks again for the app!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    at last I have found a good alarm clock for my TouchPad!

1 problem though; it is 20 deg F with frost out here in Wisconsin, and Simple Clock thinks it is 51deg and is going to get up to the 80's! It doesn't seem to have the location right, and I can't find where to adjust it. Other apps display correct weather.

any fixes for this?

thanks again for the app!
    You need to change your location in 'Preferences'. Launch SimpleClock in normal app mode and tap the application name at the top left.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    You need to change your location in 'Preferences'. Launch SimpleClock in normal app mode and tap the application name at the top left.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    OOPS! Thanks- don't know how I missed it.
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    I'm getting a message that application cannot connect to the internet to get the current emperature, yet my WIFI is working perfectly. Is was working before and I've tried several weather locations.

On a related note - why do you only check the weather once an hour? This defeats the purpose of showing outside temperature. I would expect it to be accurate within 5 minutes.

Thanks,
    Ray
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by grc.chap View Post
    I'm getting a message that application cannot connect to the internet to get the current emperature, yet my WIFI is working perfectly. Is was working before and I've tried several weather locations.

On a related note - why do you only check the weather once an hour? This defeats the purpose of showing outside temperature. I would expect it to be accurate within 5 minutes.

Thanks,
    Ray
    The weather service the app uses goes down once in a while, probably for maintenance. Just try again in an hour or so.

The hourly weather update schedule is suggested by the weather service. Since it is a free service, I try not to do anything that they may not like. FYI, no online weather service is accurate to 5 minutes. Even weather.com, if you search their knowledge base, say they update their current conditions every 20 minutes. Accuweather.com's faq states that their data is updated every hour.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Great App. I didn't realize this thread was out here, and I just put a review for the app on in the catalog. In the review I stated a few issues I was having, as I did not know how else to note them. I can edit the review to remove them, just let me know. One of the comments I noted was regarding the brightness, which after reading this thread, it appears that there is nothing that can be done. I am curious about the brightness level that the Kindle app uses. With that app, the brightness can become lower than the default. http://www.precentral.net/reduce-min...hpad-webos-3-0

Here is my full review:

I have had this app for a few weeks now and overall I think it is good. I am having a few issues though.

When the alarm goes off in Exhibition mode while on the Touchstone, it does not allow me to hit “Snooze” as tapping it does not get a response. I have to take it off the Touchstone, get it out of Exhibition mode and run the app to turn off the alarm. This just started happening recently, so I am not sure what is wrong. Before this started happening, it would only allow me to hit “Snooze” twice while in Exhibition mode as after that the alarm would not go off again. I really would like to figure out how to fix this.

Also, I love that I can control the brightness, as I want it as dim as possible. It would be great if the brightness could go even lower. The Kindle app brightness slider brings the brightness down below what the Touchpad main slider does.

I am not sure if this is possible or not: Is there a way to add “Black Screen” or “Complete Darkness” as an option? I always keep my Touchpad on the Touchstone at night, and I prefer not to have any light in the room. It would be perfect if the screen could be completely black while the app is running in exhibition mode, and when the alarm goes off the screen turns bright and large Snooze Button appears. I realize that I can hit the power button while on the Touchstone to get the screen off, but when the alarm goes off, I have to unlock the screen and then choose an option.

I purchased this app because the default alarm clock is very inconsistent. So far, this app has always gone off and the only issues I have experienced I think I can live with.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Squatting Hen; 11/16/2011 at 02:49 PM.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Great App. I didn't realize this thread was out here, and I just put a review for the app on in the catalog. In the review I stated a few issues I was having, as I did not know how else to note them. I can edit the review to remove them, just let me know. One of the comments I noted was regarding the brightness, which after reading this thread, it appears that there is nothing that can be done. I am curious about the brightness level that the Kindle app uses. With that app, the brightness can become lower than the default. http://www.precentral.net/reduce-min...hpad-webos-3-0
    The Kindle app is an HP app. First party apps can access certain functions of the device that 3rd party apps are not allowed, the ability to control the backlight is one of them.

When the alarm goes off in Exhibition mode while on the Touchstone, it does not allow me to hit “Snooze” as tapping it does not get a response. I have to take it off the Touchstone, get it out of Exhibition mode and run the app to turn off the alarm. This just started happening recently, so I am not sure what is wrong. Before this started happening, it would only allow me to hit “Snooze” twice while in Exhibition mode as after that the alarm would not go off again. I really would like to figure out how to fix this.
    The touch response while the Touchpad is in Exhibition mode is always a little slower. I guess that in Exhibition mode the TP probably runs a little slower, so the charging can be faster. Even so, SimpleClock should still respond to tapping on the Snooze Button though you may have to tap it a few times. If it won't respond to tapping at all, you may need to reboot to the device.
    Last edited by wayne@angrygoat; 11/16/2011 at 05:29 PM.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Thanks. I didn't realize the Kindle app was an HP app...seems odd. I will try rebooting again and play around with it. The response was there, it is just recently it started doing it.
    Thanks again.
  16.    #36  
    Thanks. I didn't realize the Kindle app was an HP app...seems odd.
    Not really, a Kindle app is really important so HP did it themselves (with Amazon's blessing) to make sure that it's available.
    I will try rebooting again and play around with it. The response was there, it is just recently it started doing it.
    Thanks again.
    You probably just experienced one of those moments when the Touchpad just "pauses" and won't respond to touches at all.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    For reducing the brightness even further down then the system allows it like the kindle app does, you can use this patch.
    I want to use my TouchPad and dock to replace my cloc radio, issue is system volume...

Can you have alarm volumes independent of TouchPad volume? I think its possible if your app is hybrid or a PDK app.

If I set the volume low I still may want a loud alarm, or vice versa. If I'm playing music before I go to sleep, I don't want a full blast full volume alarm going off in the morning.

Even better, if the alarm volume could be independent of the mute button (not sure this is possible).
    Kookaroo, the Roku remote for webOS
    Amtrak Commuter, Check your Train schedule
    GPortal Google shortcuts for Google Plus, Google Voice, Google Tasks and other Google Services
    SiteStatus and SiteStatusPro website monitoring tools for webOS
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcimino View Post
    I want to use my TouchPad and dock to replace my cloc radio, issue is system volume...

Can you have alarm volumes independent of TouchPad volume? I think its possible if your app is hybrid or a PDK app.

If I set the volume low I still may want a loud alarm, or vice versa. If I'm playing music before I go to sleep, I don't want a full blast full volume alarm going off in the morning.

Even better, if the alarm volume could be independent of the mute button (not sure this is possible).
    The alarm volume is already independent of the mute button.

However, system volume control is not possible with 3rd party apps, even using the PDK. All system functions are accessed through system services, and 3rd party apps are not allowed to use certain services, volume being one of them. (I have a PDK audio player app and I've looked for volume control).

The audio samples can be quieter than the system volume by lowering the volume of the samples themselves, but the volume is still bound by the system volume.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Maybe in the near future there will be a way to get that dimmer down a bit more and have a dedicated volume...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast