Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Wayne, you are awesome. I was going to ask for "swipe to change categories" but you beat me to it.

I came across an issue unrelated to the update: I had to doctor, and it appears that the database didn't fully survive the doctor (I did not use save/restore or anything like that... I just restored my apps from scratch).

Oddly enough, everything seems to work perfectly and all of my categories were retained, except when I try to delete a contact from a category, I get the error "Database error: no such table: contacts_view". This began immediately after I doctored. Is there a way to fix it without removing and reinstalling the app?
  2.    #22  
    contacts_view is a virtual table that the app uses internally. Somehow the actual data tables survived the doctoring, but the rest of the structure didn't. There's no way to fix this without a reinstall.

I do plan on having a backup to Google Docs feature in a later version but for right now there's nothing that can help you. Unless you know how to manually manipulate SQL databases.
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    It means that you've made changes to that contact. You need to update the contact in Pronto. To do that go to the View All Contacts screen and add the contact again. Adding the contact again in the main list will update it too, but that of course will make an extra entry of that contact.
    I have the same issue (SMS goes to unknown), but I know it doesn't happen just when a contact is updated... for example, my wife is one that it happens to all the time, and I haven't updated my contact info for her in months.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapiualuta View Post
    I have the same issue (SMS goes to unknown), but I know it doesn't happen just when a contact is updated... for example, my wife is one that it happens to all the time, and I haven't updated my contact info for her in months.
    This doesn't just include changes that you've made on the phone, but also any changes that was synced to the phone from an external source like Facebook including changes to person's profile picture.

This is related to how Pronto launches the messenger app. Pronto launches the messenger app directly into the conversation list instead of a new message screen like some other quick dial apps. It does this by giving the messenger app an id number associated to a phone number instead of the phone number itself. When I implemented this feature, I had no idea how sensitive this id number is to changes in a contact's profile. I'll add the option to open the new message screen instead of the conversation list in an upcoming version.

Hopefully Palm will let third party apps auto sync contacts in a future update, then this won't be a problem anymore.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
  5.    #25  
    Pronto Dial v1.3.0 is now available.

New features:
    - Selectable background colors for categories.
    - Hide categories from the main view.
    - App launch button for the web browser.
    - Double tap a contact to auto dial, regardless of Auto Dial setting in Preferences.
    - Option to start the Messenger app in the New Message screen instead of the Conversation List when you tap the SMS button.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Hi AngryGoat,

It would be really nice if there were an easier way to toggle delete mode - maybe a button somewhere on the screen. Would this be a possibility for a future release?
    Thanks,
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I have an app called Quick Dialer and I'm in the process of evaluating Communicate Lite.

What are the advantages of Pronto Dial compared to those apps? Do you have a "Pronto Dial vs the competition" feature comparison page?

Yes, Pronto doesn't use the Contacts system to store anything, unlike Super Contacts. It stores everything in it's own database. This is also why Universal Search won't work on the categories

To Update the data in Pronto you can just add the contact again. This will update every instance of the contact. There's also a View All Contacts screen where adding a contact just updates without adding a new entry.
    So Palm didn't create a contacts service where a 3rd party app could just store some sort of record ID for each contact and then retrieve the contact data using that ID whenever it is needed?
    Pronto Dial allows categories which is a big plus for me.

I also have Photo Dial, which is handy for the contacts I call most often, just tap their picture.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I have an app called Quick Dialer and I'm in the process of evaluating Communicate Lite.

What are the advantages of Pronto Dial compared to those apps? Do you have a "Pronto Dial vs the competition" feature comparison page?
    There's no comparison page, but there's a lot of speed dialers and I haven't tried all of them. Besides, I find that the design and function of the UI maybe more important than just having all the features. I'd recommend downloading the free trial version of Pronto Dial. It's feature limited, but it should give you a good idea of the how the full app works.

Update: With respect to Communicate, the two apps are pretty similar feature wise. Communicate has predefined SMS messages (which I plan to add to Pronto later). Pronto has shortcut keys for category switching. Those are pretty much the only difference feature wise. The biggest difference between the two is UI design and functionality. Other than that Pronto launches faster and I think Pronto's implementation of swiping to switch categories is better

Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    So Palm didn't create a contacts service where a 3rd party app could just store some sort of record ID for each contact and then retrieve the contact data using that ID whenever it is needed?
    Nope, there's an id associated with each contact, but 3rd party apps are not allowed to retrieve contact info without user intervention.
    Last edited by wayne@angrygoat; 08/19/2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: More info
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Hi AngryGoat,

It would be really nice if there were an easier way to toggle delete mode - maybe a button somewhere on the screen. Would this be a possibility for a future release?
    Thanks,
    There just isn't any space left in the interface for a delete button. There's a little space left and right of the header, but I already have plans for that area.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Maybe put it in the preferences to allow it to replace one of the app launch buttons?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Maybe put it in the preferences to allow it to replace one of the app launch buttons?
    I'm not sure if it really belongs there, but I'll think about it.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    There's no comparison page, but there's a lot of speed dialers and I haven't tried all of them. Besides, I find that the design and function of the UI maybe more important than just having all the features. I'd recommend downloading the free trial version of Pronto Dial. It's feature limited, but it should give you a good idea of the how the full app works.

Update: With respect to Communicate, the two apps are pretty similar feature wise. Communicate has predefined SMS messages (which I plan to add to Pronto later). Pronto has shortcut keys for category switching. Those are pretty much the only difference feature wise. The biggest difference between the two is UI design and functionality. Other than that Pronto launches faster and I think Pronto's implementation of swiping to switch categories is better
    It launches much, much faster and seems like it does everything faster. I'm glad I just had the trial version of Communicate. After playing around with the trial version of Pronto Dial, I got the full version. This works much better than the others I've tried. Thank you!

Nope, there's an id associated with each contact, but 3rd party apps are not allowed to retrieve contact info without user intervention.
    That would probably be a security hole for apps to troll through and spam everyone in your contact list. I suppose they could always have an 'authorized app' table where if the app wanted to use the contact services, the user would have to enable it and that would generate a unique key so the 3rd party app could use the contacts directly. Hopefully something like that appears in future versions of the OS. Oh well.

Thanks for the great app!
  14. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    There just isn't any space left in the interface for a delete button. There's a little space left and right of the header, but I already have plans for that area.
    Ooooh do tell..

Great app by the way!
    I need to get to ten posts, so I wanted to take the opportunity to thank all the devs and all the other knowledgeable and helpful people of the Palm community. You guys rock!
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vij View Post
    Ooooh do tell..

Great app by the way!
    Nothing fancy, just a button and an indicator...
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Pronto is a great app. I use it every day.

One question. Would it be possible to add some darker color options for the categories and a white font? I like the look of the dark themes on my pre.

Thanks for considering.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by 577359 View Post
    One question. Would it be possible to add some darker color options for the categories and a white font? I like the look of the dark themes on my pre.
    Yes, darker colors is definitely on the menu for an upcoming update.

It wasn't part of the original plan, but most of the lighter colors turned out to be a little more effeminate than I liked. So now I need to balance that out with some darker (manlier) colors
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Yes, darker colors is definitely on the menu for an upcoming update.

It wasn't part of the original plan, but most of the lighter colors turned out to be a little more effeminate than I liked. So now I need to balance that out with some darker (manlier) colors
    Please consider supporting the Palm Dark theme just like it looks in Preware ...

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Please consider supporting the Palm Dark theme just like it looks in Preware ...

-- Rod
    ^This
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast