Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    The 'Forget Player Settings' only affects the background selection for each player. It has nothing to do with the network at all. It stores the color of the background for the player and if it's a custom background, it also stores the file name of the image.

I think what's happening here is that every time you go to preferences, the app automatically goes back to the home screen first. This has the effect of canceling whatever you were doing before and forces you to start over. In the time it takes to go to prefs, pressing the button, returning to home, and re-doing whatever you were doing, the slowdown on the server has probably cleared up.
    ah didn't mean that it has a direct impact on network settings. Thought it could delete something cached that would otherwise not be re-requested on the next try. But yes, going to preferences without pressing that Forget-Button has the same effect.

However, if it was only waiting for the slowdown on the server to clear up, as you name it, I tried that already with waiting without doing anything for a minute - and that did not work out. This cancelling of earlier requests seems to have an impact.
    webOS SDK apps are javascript programs running in a webkit browser. If you've ever written a non-trivial web app that uses AJAX, you know the basic structure of Squeeze Control. Except that instead of XML, the Squeezebox system communicates using JSON (which makes things simpler). If you really want to know how Squeeze Control communicates with the server, look up 'comet' and specifically the 'cometd' implementation.

All the network communications are done asynchronously, but nothing depends on the order of the returns. Any query that looks for a specific return, have ids associated to them so returns always go back to the correct queries.

Actually what's really a pain about writing this app is that the Squeezebox system is a multiuser environment.

It might be interesting to see if you'll encounter any problems with the linux version of SB Server running on a full computer.

You might also want to post a question on the Squeezebox forums. Don't use the new one that logitech added, use the original one: Squeezebox : Community : Forums
    Ah understood. Of course also the app itself must make sure that it does not create any interference between workflows, otherwise the communication may be as much safe as possible concerning side effects and it won't help. But surely you have had that in mind.
    It might be interesting to see if you'll encounter any problems with the linux version of SB Server running on a full computer.

You might also want to post a question on the Squeezebox forums. Don't use the new one that logitech added, use the original one: Squeezebox : Community : Forums
    Agreed, however I doubt that I can do this in a reasonable timeframe, as I am not that familiar with Linux, so it would cost me quite some time to do that. I think I would also first have to figure out what distro they use in the DSes, and better use the same distro version to have a comparable reference.

And I will definitely have a look at the forum!

Wanye, thank you very much for your explanations. I have to say that I am kind of a bit depressed about this problem, as I bought this NAS for exactly that purpose of serving my music - hmm, possibly should better have buyed a netgear box... I see your point in recommending to use a real computer to serve this thing, but I still won't give up because all results so far look as if the DS box is not overloaded at all concerning the hardware. I bet on a software issue concerning the network communication, may it be nic config or driver issues. Yet I have to do some network sniffering - if there really is an overload on the interface (what I still somewhat can't believe), it has to show up there.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by clanganke View Post
    Ah understood. Of course also the app itself must make sure that it does not create any interference between workflows, otherwise the communication may be as much safe as possible concerning side effects and it won't help.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

As to having things in mind as I wrote the app.... There really wasn't too much planning involved when it came to the networking side of the app. It was more trial and error.

Basically what I did was capture the communication between a SB Controller and a server, figure out what it all meant using whatever documentation I could find, emulate it in the app, banged on the app until it broke, figure out the problem, and then fix it.

The only thing that I was mindful of was the fact that player and/or server settings and status could be changed by another user, so I made sure the app doesn't depend on things staying the same on the server/player.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

As to having things in mind as I wrote the app.... There really wasn't too much planning involved when it came to the networking side of the app. It was more trial and error.

Basically what I did was capture the communication between a SB Controller and a server, figure out what it all meant using whatever documentation I could find, emulate it in the app, banged on the app until it broke, figure out the problem, and then fix it.

The only thing that I was mindful of was the fact that player and/or server settings and status could be changed by another user, so I made sure the app doesn't depend on things staying the same on the server/player.
    From your writing I understand that the communication is considered to be safe concerning the order of incoming responses - you wrote "but nothing depends on the order of the returns. Any query that looks for a specific return, have ids associated to them so returns always go back to the correct queries.".

My remark was just due a thought on that having properly separated data transactions will just not be enough, if the app creates dependencies between different kinds of transactions, may it be by using global variables etc. or rely on the state of a GUI control. Such dependencies may be hard to find and easy to overlook, and I once learned that the hard way.
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by clanganke View Post
    From your writing I understand that the communication is considered to be safe concerning the order of incoming responses - you wrote "but nothing depends on the order of the returns. Any query that looks for a specific return, have ids associated to them so returns always go back to the correct queries.".

My remark was just due a thought on that having properly separated data transactions will just not be enough, if the app creates dependencies between different kinds of transactions, may it be by using global variables etc. or rely on the state of a GUI control. Such dependencies may be hard to find and easy to overlook, and I once learned that the hard way.
    Well, the messages that Squeeze Control exchanges with the server don't really have any dependencies on each other. Even processes the seem to require multiple steps, eg. signing in to mysqueezebox, are only that way to gather the information needed. If the required information is already known, only the final message is necessary to perform the command. The only thing that must happen in a certain order is the initial handshake and connection with the server. After that the commands are pretty much atomic.

I think that any network messaging system especially one that needs to operate over the internet pretty much needs to have the same atomicity in its messages.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Album art does not seem to be showing up on my pre minus when music plays or during browsing. All my mp3s have the album art imbedded as well as in the folder for each album. Also, I am doing this over my internal network.

It does show when I am in front of the computer running sqeezeplay.

Running:
    squeezebox 7.5.4 r32150
    squeezeplay
    windows 7 64bit sp1

EDIT: Also, noticed on the squeeze control home screen the icons for my apps and app gallery are missing. Is this normal?
    Last edited by Defiler; 03/24/2011 at 01:30 PM.
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiler View Post
    Album art does not seem to be showing up on my pre minus when music plays or during browsing. All my mp3s have the album art imbedded as well as in the folder for each album. Also, I am doing this over my internal network.

It does show when I am in front of the computer running sqeezeplay.

Running:
    squeezebox 7.5.4 r32150
    squeezeplay
    windows 7 64bit sp1

EDIT: Also, noticed on the squeeze control home screen the icons for my apps and app gallery are missing. Is this normal?
    No, it's not normal. Have you tried restarting the server? Does the icons/artwork show up in Squeezeplay? The official server version is still 7.5.3, so I haven't tried 7.5.4 yet and that might be the problem.

I don't test the app against beta versions of Squeezebox Server.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Tried restarting the server many times. Yes the artwork shows in Squeezeplay. Wasn't aware of 7.5.3 being the current stable release. I will try installing that and see if it works. Thanks for the help.
    FWIW - it works fine for me running 7.5.4.
    Not to throw stones, but 7.5.3 has caused a lot of problems for users, and "stable" may not be the right adjective to use.
    K. Uninstalled 7.5.4 and installed 7.5.3. Same exact symptoms. I even uninstalled/installed the Control app from my pre.

Noticed something else...When I select My Music and it takes me to the artists, albums, etc. list. None of those have Icons either. When I browse and do everything from SqueezePlay, all icons show properly.

BUT, in My Apps, all the icons show properly in the Control app as well as squeezeplay.
    Wayne, would you rather have me go through a more official support channel instead of this thread?
  13.    #113  
    Wayne, would you rather have me go through a more official support channel instead of this thread?
    This is the official support thread for the app, or you can email me.

Can you try something for me? Access the Squeezebox Server's web interface on your phone and browse the albums. Does the cover art show up?

Also try this:
    1. Open the server's web interface on any computer other than the one it's installed on and go to an album with cover art.
    2. Right click on the picture.
    3. For Firefox select 'View Image'. For Chrome & Safari select 'Open Image in New Tab'. For Internet Explorer select properties.
    4. In Firefox, Safari, or Chrome this will open the image on a new blank page, note the address of the image from the address bar. In Internet Explorer this will open a dialog box and there should be a field stating the address of the image.
    5. Type the address of the image into the browser on your phone.

You should be able to see the image in your phone's browser. If it doesn't show up then problem lies outside of app.
    Last edited by wayne@angrygoat; 03/28/2011 at 05:04 PM.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Can you try something for me? Access the Squeezebox Server's web interface on your phone and browse the albums. Does the cover art show up?
    Yes. All icons and cover art show.

Also try this:
    1. Open the server's web interface on any computer other than the one it's installed on and go to an album with cover art.
    2. Right click on the picture.
    3. For Firefox select 'View Image'. For Chrome & Safari select 'Open Image in New Tab'. For Internet Explorer select properties.
    4. In Firefox, Safari, or Chrome this will open the image on a new blank page, note the address of the image from the address bar. In Internet Explorer this will open a dialog box and there should be a field stating the address of the image.
    5. Type the address of the image into the browser on your phone.

You should be able to see the image in your phone's browser. If it doesn't show up then problem lies outside of app.
    The image shows in the phones browser.
  15.    #115  
    Have you tried rebooting the phone?
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Have you tried rebooting the phone?
    Just tried. Even pulled the battery. Same results.
  17.    #117  
    Hmm... strange. So the app works, and all the menus work, but no images.

Do you just see a blank square next to the text?

Is there anything special about how your wifi access point/router connects to your network, proxies, etc.?

Do you have any homebrew patches on your phone, especially anything that deals with images?
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  18.    #118  
    BUT, in My Apps, all the icons show properly in the Control app as well as squeezeplay.
    This is probably because most of those icon images are pulled from directly mysqueezebox.com. So the problem maybe that your server can't serve images to the app.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Hmm... strange. So the app works, and all the menus work, but no images.

Do you just see a blank square next to the text?

Is there anything special about how your wifi access point/router connects to your network, proxies, etc.?

Do you have any homebrew patches on your phone, especially anything that deals with images?
    Here are some screen captures. Nothing special on my wireless. Just WPA2 security. Let me try turning security off and see if that helps. BRB

EDIT: Turning security off led to the same results.

Looking at the patches I have installed...

UberKernel 1.4.5-158
    GNU Patch 2.5.9-4
    Homebrew JSJSJS $Service$ $Framework$ $1$.$0$
    Lsdiff 0.3.1-1
    FileMgr 2.0.3
    Add additional default event length times
    Add bing and Yahoo
    Add IMDB
    Additional Contact Labels
    Advanced Configuration for App Launcher
    Alarm Daily Options
    Battery Percent and Icon
    Character Counter
    Confirm Delete
    Enable Dialpad Vibration
    Enable Vibration (calculator)
    Enter Key for New Line
    Glass Effect
    Hide Music Player App
    Just Charge by default
    Match State to Area Code
    Move Popup in emails
    Really Silent Ringer switch mute
    Reduce drag radius 15px
    Show WiFi SSID
    smiley face in symbol box
    Snooze duration selection
    timestamps clean
    unthrottle download manager
    video downloads (youtube)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Defiler; 03/30/2011 at 09:31 AM.
  20.    #120  
    None of the patches look like something that would cause this problem.

When you use a streaming service like Pandora, does the cover art show up on the 'Now Playing' screen?

Also, if you are only connected to mysqueezebox.com, does the My Apps and App gallery icons show up? Make sure you have a player connected to mysb before you try this. You can switch a player to mysb by enabling the connection to both your server and mysb and then tapping the Music Source item on the Home screen.

Do you have any sort of 3rd party firewall software on your server computer? Maybe it's somehow blocking incoming connections for images from certain devices?
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS