Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Hello;

Hope you are having a great new year!

Buggy acting when communicating with Rhapsody playlists
    Steps to recreate:

Create a playlist on Rhapsody (15 songs)
    load the playlist into squeezecontrol
    go to Rhapsody and change the playlist (add 15 more songs - now 30)
    Playlist now shows 30 songs
    The correct number of songs show up (30 tracks now instead of 15)
    but only the old tracks load and show.

steps tried to resolve:
    1. switch to another playlist and back - same
    2. close squeezecontrol and reopen - same
    3. Went to Rhapsody and deleted the first 15 songs - same
    4. selected "remove playlist" - playlist now gone from Rhapsody but still showing up in squeezecontrol (?!) and plays the same 15 songs
    5. switched to pandora then back to Rhapsody - playlist now gone
    6. Recreated playlist and loaded -- loads correct.
    7. Added songs to playlist and saved (at Rhapsody)
    8. Switched back to Pandora and back - still not working

I thought that switching to Pandora and back might have been a work around but that is not working now either.

Actually the playlist function in Rhapsody seems completely broken except for the very fist use -- when I choose play playlist - it shows all the songs but seems "stuck" in the old playlist. Then if you choose a song off the screen it wipes the playlist and plays just that song.

Am I confused or something?

Thanks,

Joe
    OK...I do not think it has anything to do with squeezecontrol -- it seems to not be working using the remote control from mysqeezebox.com either.

This used to work (I am sure of it) -- I will try disconnecting etc...and see if that helps.

Otherwise perhaps squeezebox.com has changed and broken something.
  3.    #83  
    From the looks of it the Rhapsody problem definitely looks like a problem with mysqueezebox.com. The way I know is because on the Rhapsody playlist info screen in Squeeze Control, the 'Play Playlist' item has a track count. The title of that item (with the track count) is not generated by Squeeze Control, but comes directly from MySB.

I think MySB maybe caching info it gets from Rhapsody and has a long update interval, probably to cut down their bandwidth requirements. Try waiting a while before checking again to see if anything changes.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by jruder View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth -- don't call it a party mode then - call it a "quit driving users carzy option"!

LOL - I understand what you are saying - still hoping for a simple "default to add song vs replace playlist" option.
    Ok, I've decided to add an option to default to the 'Play Next' command instead of 'Play' when tapping on a playable item. I like this better than an option to default to 'Add'. This way it won't duplicate the action of the add button.

Update: changed my mind, I'm just going to give the user the option to choose either or.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    I think MySB maybe caching info it gets from Rhapsody and has a long update interval, probably to cut down their bandwidth requirements. Try waiting a while before checking again to see if anything changes.
    It seems that I maybe right about this. I checked a playlist I created, then modified yesterday and the changes are now reflected in Squeeze Control.
    Last edited by wayne@angrygoat; 01/16/2011 at 04:24 PM.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by jruder View Post
    Anybody else having problem's saving the playlist? I still cannot do that no matter what I try to do.

I use Rhapsody almost exclusivly and the integration seems close but not quite there.
    Hmm, I just noticed that you can save a playlist of Rhapsody songs if the player is connected to a local Squeezebox server.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  6.    #86  
    Squeeze Control v2.0.4 is now available in the App Catalog, but I suggest waiting for 2.0.5 since there's a bug with the volume controls in 2.0.4 that I discovered after I submitted the app. I tried to pull the submission, but I wasn't in time.

Anyway, here's what's new with 2.0.4

- Added 'Retry' button to 'Connection Error' dialog.
    - Added option to choose an action instead of 'Play' when tapping on a playable item.
    - [Fixed Bug] Volume box no longer flashes after moving the slider in the box.
    - [Fixed Bug] Browsing albums/artists with non-english characters in their names will no longer cause an error on webOS 2.0 devices.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  7.    #87  
    Squeeze Control v2.0.6 is now available in the App Catalog.

- The Back Gesture will now close a menu panel.
    - [Fixed Bug] Darken Background slider now works correctly on the 'Now Playing' screen.
    - [Fixed Bug] Search Panel will no longer push elements in the scene down.
    - [Fixed Bug] The 'View Tags' item in the 'More Info' screen of a song now works.
    - [Fixed Bug] Certain info screens that don't have tappable items but were responding to taps, now correctly ignores them.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Is there a way to buy this application outside of the app cataloge? May by creditcard, paypal or any other moneytransfer solution?

I life in switzerland and Palm/ HP has not yet open the app cataloge for payable apps.

I would love to install the app, because I have serveral squeeze boxes installed at home.
  9.    #89  
    I'm sorry but I only sell through the App catalog.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Hi Wayne,

today I got my new Logitech Receiver to work with a Squeeze Server installed on Synology DS209. It just works like a charm!

Then I downloaded and installed SqueezeControl 2.0.6 - your app fits like a hand in the glove - I like it very much!

However I have some connection problems - While the web interface works absolutely stable, SqueezeControl often looses connection to the server. Then I mostly wait for the timeout or have to manually dis- and reconnect. Then for some operations everything is fine again, but sooner or later the connection hangs and has to be reestablished manually again. (BTW a auto reconnect property/feature could make sense...)

All other problems that I have seem to result from the connection problems, such as hang on loading album information, the "current playing" panel not properly refreshed, the current playlist not being displayed empty (although it definitely is not) etc...

I have no clue where to look at to find the reason for this. The server package for the DS209 is v7.5.3-r31792 of 24th Jan 2011 - this seems not to be much outdated. I also checked the server log, there is no entry at all for th time when a connection gets broken.

Is there anything I can do to improve the situation or to help analyzing the problem ?

Thanx a lot!
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by clanganke View Post
    Hi Wayne,

today I got my new Logitech Receiver to work with a Squeeze Server installed on Synology DS209. It just works like a charm!

Then I downloaded and installed SqueezeControl 2.0.6 - your app fits like a hand in the glove - I like it very much!

However I have some connection problems - While the web interface works absolutely stable, SqueezeControl often looses connection to the server. Then I mostly wait for the timeout or have to manually dis- and reconnect. Then for some operations everything is fine again, but sooner or later the connection hangs and has to be reestablished manually again. (BTW a auto reconnect property/feature could make sense...)

All other problems that I have seem to result from the connection problems, such as hang on loading album information, the "current playing" panel not properly refreshed, the current playlist not being displayed empty (although it definitely is not) etc...

I have no clue where to look at to find the reason for this. The server package for the DS209 is v7.5.3-r31792 of 24th Jan 2011 - this seems not to be much outdated. I also checked the server log, there is no entry at all for th time when a connection gets broken.

Is there anything I can do to improve the situation or to help analyzing the problem ?

Thanx a lot!
    All the problems you describe doesn't sound like a connection problem. If there is an actual connection problem, Squeeze Control usually just drops the connection and you'll get a Connection Broken error.

I sounds more like the DS209 is not powerful enough to run Squeeze Server optimally. Squeeze Control (and Squeezebox Controllers) uses a different method to communicate with the server than the web interface. This method provides a snappier response, but is a bit harder on the server. Try running a test server on an actual computer and see if you encounter the same problems.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Wayne, will Squeeze Control be compatible with the HP TouchPad?
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Wayne, will Squeeze Control be compatible with the HP TouchPad?
    There's not a lot of info on how existing apps will work on the TouchPad yet, so I just don't know if it would work without modifications.

Even if it does work, the existing UI would not be optimal for the bigger form factor and I don't think there's a way to optimize Squeeze Control for both devices.

I am thinking about a separate version specifically designed for the TouchPad, but new framework SDK available to third party developers right now are at best alpha quality and probably a little too early to do any serious development.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    All the problems you describe doesn't sound like a connection problem. If there is an actual connection problem, Squeeze Control usually just drops the connection and you'll get a Connection Broken error.

I sounds more like the DS209 is not powerful enough to run Squeeze Server optimally. Squeeze Control (and Squeezebox Controllers) uses a different method to communicate with the server than the web interface. This method provides a snappier response, but is a bit harder on the server. Try running a test server on an actual computer and see if you encounter the same problems.
    Hi Wayne, thanks for the prompt reply!

You write "If there is an actual connection problem, Squeeze Control usually just drops the connection and you'll get a Connection Broken error." Well that is exactly what happens - this is what I meant with 'waiting for the timeout'.

But I followed your suggestion and tested a win32 server, which has no problem at all. So this at first sight this result proves you right concerning the communication with your app. However, some facts really make me think that my DS209 should not have such an obvious problem at all.

For one, the vendor specifies that this DS is appropriate for running the SqueezeBox Server package, see this page for matching Synology products

Synology Inc. - NEW NAS Experience - Support :: Help Center :: Can I use SqueezeCente...

and the following page for RAM considerations (select 2-bays, DS209)

quote "Based on the Squeezebox Server requirement, it is suggested running Squeezebox Server on Synology DiskStations with RAM size of 256MB and above."

Synology Inc. - NEW NAS Experience - Support :: Download Center

Looking a the box itself when SqueezeBox Server is running and SqueezeBox Control gets Connection broken errors, the values for RAM, CPU and network throughput seem to validate the vendor classification:

When Squeezebox Server is running, the box is using 50% or it RAM constantly - no problems here. So the smaller box with 128MB Ram would have problems, and the vendor recommendation of 256MB is perfectly right.

CPU is hardly reaching 60% when using the web interface (certain functions only) or juping to a new track with either the webinterface or SqueezeControl. With none of the actions like loading the album list or the playlist from within SqueezeControl I can reach 20% CPU. So we are safe here as well,and still the errors occur.

Network traffic receiving is not reaching 2Kb/s when playing a track, and reaches up to 200Kb/s when starting a new track. Using Squeeze Control I reach approx 10Kb/s when reconnecting and viewing the current title, then 600Kb/s for a split of second when querying the current playlist - then connection broken! - then for about 30 secs, network traffic stays at ca 10Kb/s (what is it doing there?),the drops to bottom. Then, reconnecting and requerying the playlist, it is displayed instantly.Then after some 20 secs,the app gets connection broken. Another situation where the connection frequently breaks is when I query the tracks for an album: CPU below 5% and absolutely no peak visible in network traffic.

After all I think that none of the SqueezeControl actions reach any limit of the provided network topology, where both the win32machine and the DS box are connected to the same GB-Switch and connected over a 200 MBit Powerline. As the win32 stuff works perfectly, I think we can assume that this part of the network works well enough. I also get very good down- and upload rates from and to the DS from the windows system - for reading I usually get 20MBytes /s with peaks of 35MBytes/s. So the network traffic works reasonably well.

Having said that all, I seriously doubt that the DS box is overloaded. but I have no clue where to look next...

How would I analyze further concerning those "connection broken" errors?
  15.    #95  
    Hi Wayne, thanks for the prompt reply!

You write "If there is an actual connection problem, Squeeze Control usually just drops the connection and you'll get a Connection Broken error." Well that is exactly what happens - this is what I meant with 'waiting for the timeout'.

But I followed your suggestion and tested a win32 server, which has no problem at all. So this at first sight this result proves you right concerning the communication with your app. However, some facts really make me think that my DS209 should not have such an obvious problem at all.

For one, the vendor specifies that this DS is appropriate for running the SqueezeBox Server package, see this page for matching Synology products

Synology Inc. - NEW NAS Experience - Support :: Help Center :: Can I use SqueezeCente...

and the following page for RAM considerations (select 2-bays, DS209)

quote "Based on the Squeezebox Server requirement, it is suggested running Squeezebox Server on Synology DiskStations with RAM size of 256MB and above."

Synology Inc. - NEW NAS Experience - Support :: Download Center

Looking a the box itself when SqueezeBox Server is running and SqueezeBox Control gets Connection broken errors, the values for RAM, CPU and network throughput seem to validate the vendor classification:

When Squeezebox Server is running, the box is using 50% or it RAM constantly - no problems here. So the smaller box with 128MB Ram would have problems, and the vendor recommendation of 256MB is perfectly right.

CPU is hardly reaching 60% when using the web interface (certain functions only) or juping to a new track with either the webinterface or SqueezeControl. With none of the actions like loading the album list or the playlist from within SqueezeControl I can reach 20% CPU. So we are safe here as well,and still the errors occur.

Network traffic receiving is not reaching 2Kb/s when playing a track, and reaches up to 200Kb/s when starting a new track. Using Squeeze Control I reach approx 10Kb/s when reconnecting and viewing the current title, then 600Kb/s for a split of second when querying the current playlist - then connection broken! - then for about 30 secs, network traffic stays at ca 10Kb/s (what is it doing there?),the drops to bottom. Then, reconnecting and requerying the playlist, it is displayed instantly.Then after some 20 secs,the app gets connection broken. Another situation where the connection frequently breaks is when I query the tracks for an album: CPU below 5% and absolutely no peak visible in network traffic.

After all I think that none of the SqueezeControl actions reach any limit of the provided network topology, where both the win32machine and the DS box are connected to the same GB-Switch and connected over a 200 MBit Powerline. As the win32 stuff works perfectly, I think we can assume that this part of the network works well enough. I also get very good down- and upload rates from and to the DS from the windows system - for reading I usually get 20MBytes /s with peaks of 35MBytes/s. So the network traffic works reasonably well.

Having said that all, I seriously doubt that the DS box is overloaded. but I have no clue where to look next...

How would I analyze further concerning those "connection broken" errors?
    I don't really know the DS box well, but I have read that others have had problems using Squeezebox Server on it on the squeezebox forums.

The DS is not one of the officially supported NAS's so maybe the code is not optimized for the DS's architecture. While you only see SB server using 50% ram, there maybe momentary RAM usage spikes that's much higher but have too short a duration to show up in the usage monitor.

It could also be that the networking stack of the DS is not designed for the usage pattern of the SB server. Maybe certain network buffers are getting overloaded.

I don't know if this would help with your diagnosis, but Squeeze Control internally disconnects and reconnects to the server periodically. This is done because of the networking limitations of the app basically being run in a web browser (that's how all SDK apps work). This disconnect/reconnect process is seamless to the user, but the 'Connection broken' error gets generated when the reconnection fails. If the DS has limits on how quickly a client can drop and then reconnect, this could be the cause of the problems.

Sorry I can't give you any more help, but I just don't know enough about the architecture of SB Server.
    Last edited by wayne@angrygoat; 03/07/2011 at 05:43 PM.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    I don't really know the DS box well, but I have read that others have had problems using Squeezebox Server on it on the squeezebox forums.

The DS is not one of the officially supported NAS's so maybe the code is not optimized for the DS's architecture. While you only see SB server using 50% ram, there maybe momentary RAM usage spikes that's much higher but have too short a duration to show up in the usage monitor.

It could also be that the networking stack of the DS is not designed for the usage pattern of the SB server. Maybe certain network buffers are getting overloaded.

I don't know if this would help with your diagnosis, but Squeeze Control internally disconnects and reconnects to the server periodically. This is done because of the networking limitations of the app basically being run in a web browser (that's how all SDK apps work). This disconnect/reconnect process is seamless to the user, but the 'Connection broken' error gets generated when the reconnection fails. If the DS has limits on how quickly a client can drop and then reconnect, this could be the cause of the problems.

Sorry I can't give you any more help, but I just don't know enough about the architecture of SB Server.
    Yep, I agree that RAM peaks could happen , however I don't see why the process should allocate another 100 MB of RAM if I currently just serve less than 500 tracks in less than 40 albums.

Concerning the architecture of SB server, and especially in conjunction with DS boxes,
    I would be surprised if there was be any reason for a DS specific optimization. A DS runs Linux, so if there was a potential problem with the TCP/IP stack or any other OS component, the same problem should show on native Linux boxes with the similar HW characteristics as well.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $installation$ $package$ $of$ $Squeezebox$-$Server$ $is$ $nothing$ $else$ $than$ $the$ $Linux$ $version$ ($re$)$packaged$ $for$ $the$ $DS$ $package$ $management$ $system$.

The reconnect thing is interesting however, this is a good hint! If that was the reason, it would easily be the cause for all of the issues. Possibly there may be something adjustable in the system, TCP/IP stack or nic config - that I have to ask some Linux guys around. Or I do some good old network sniffing, maybe I see something relevant in the network traffic.

Another question - I just don't know anything about the webOS event model (yet): is all that communication done in a serialized manner, or is it asynchronously sent and answers received, so that a slower server sending the responses in a different order could cause a mess in the receiving app, because it would depend on the 'usual order' of the answers. I just ask because I have seen such problems within other architectures, and it can be a nightmare to pinpoint such problems.
    Hi Wanye,

another thought: I just found out that I can somewhat improve the situation temporarily by pressing "Forget player settings" in the Settings, once the app does display an empty playlist or hangs on requesting tracks of an album. By flushing whatever SqueezeControl stores here, the next query i mostly successful.

Now I wonder what the app stores as player settings. This could possibly give a valuable hint for the error analysis.
  18.    #98  
    Hi Wanye,

another thought: I just found out that I can somewhat improve the situation temporarily by pressing "Forget player settings" in the Settings, once the app does display an empty playlist or hangs on requesting tracks of an album. By flushing whatever SqueezeControl stores here, the next query i mostly successful.

Now I wonder what the app stores as player settings. This could possibly give a valuable hint for the error analysis.
    The 'Forget Player Settings' only affects the background selection for each player. It has nothing to do with the network at all. It stores the color of the background for the player and if it's a custom background, it also stores the file name of the image.

I think what's happening here is that every time you go to preferences, the app automatically goes back to the home screen first. This has the effect of canceling whatever you were doing before and forces you to start over. In the time it takes to go to prefs, pressing the button, returning to home, and re-doing whatever you were doing, the slowdown on the server has probably cleared up.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  19.    #99  
    Another question - I just don't know anything about the webOS event model (yet): is all that communication done in a serialized manner, or is it asynchronously sent and answers received, so that a slower server sending the responses in a different order could cause a mess in the receiving app, because it would depend on the 'usual order' of the answers. I just ask because I have seen such problems within other architectures, and it can be a nightmare to pinpoint such problems.
    webOS SDK apps are javascript programs running in a webkit browser. If you've ever written a non-trivial web app that uses AJAX, you know the basic structure of Squeeze Control. Except that instead of XML, the Squeezebox system communicates using JSON (which makes things simpler). If you really want to know how Squeeze Control communicates with the server, look up 'comet' and specifically the 'cometd' implementation.

All the network communications are done asynchronously, but nothing depends on the order of the returns. Any query that looks for a specific return, have ids associated to them so returns always go back to the correct queries.

Actually what's really a pain about writing this app is that the Squeezebox system is a multiuser environment.

It might be interesting to see if you'll encounter any problems with the linux version of SB Server running on a full computer.

You might also want to post a question on the Squeezebox forums. Don't use the new one that logitech added, use the original one: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  20.    #100  
    In the long run, if you plan on expanding your squeezebox system to more players or want to use 24/96 audio files, I would recommend running SB server on a separate computer.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS