Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Very nice job on this app. I downloaded it a few days ago. Installation and set up took about a minute and a half, and it works like a charm.
    The updates for this and Pronto Dial were pleasant surprises this morning.
    Keep up the great work!
    Hello;

Thank you for a very neat piece of software!

For whatever reason I cannot get a playlist to save - it gets to the point of asking for the name then just never goes past that screen. I have tried pressing OK and pressing return.

I am using Rhapsody and version 2.01.

I have exited the app and disconected / reconnected.

The only way back is to press cancel...

Any thoughts?

Joe
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Wow, I'm excited to get home later on and try this out. Looks amazing!!
    Hello;

Anybody else having problem's saving the playlist? I still cannot do that no matter what I try to do.

I use Rhapsody almost exclusivly and the integration seems close but not quite there.

I will continue to play around with it - perhaps it is just my lack of experience using the app.

What I am looking for is a quick easy way for people (like at a party) to browse songs and add them to the play list, it would be nice if I could stop them from wiping the playlist out on accident. Then I would really like to save the play list from the app.

I am trying to avoid buying a ipad just to use as a jukebox control!

Thank you,

Joe
    Here is a click by click of what I am doing to play/add music.
    Is it REALLY supposed to be this cumbersome or am I missing something.
    Attached to a boom via mysqueeze.com
    Turn on
    clear playlist
    click home
    click my apps
    click Rhapsody
    Search:Artists:bon jovi : press OK
    choose bon jovi:singles:wanted dead or alive
    press the little plus button next to it - it says adding song
    song title shows at time, no music however.
    press play icon
    song start playing
    Now, I would like to add another song, say even another bon jovi (just pretend you WANT to here two in a row!)
    swipe back until you get to the song you want - press th little plus button.
    When done with him to get back to search you have to keep back swiping, then type in say DIO (goin with the rock thing here)
    pick some songs.
    Now if you press a song instead of the plus it WIPES OUT YOUR ENTIRE PLAYLIST without asking -- at a party this is useless. Is there a setting I can set to change this?

But anyway...lets say you want to save this list --
    1. press and hold the current playlist
    2. choose save playlist
    3. type in a name
    4. press ok
    5. screen acts like it takes the tap, but stil shows OK and Cancel
    6. press enter - puts me back in the text field.

Nothing I do lets me past this except cancel, including back swiping.

Also, is there a way to jump back to search without having to go all the way back?

Thank you in advance!

Joe
  6.    #67  
    The playing/adding songs behavior you describe is the standard behavior of the squeezebox system (more specifically the squeezebox server or mysqueezebox.com) If you've ever used the squeezebox controller, it basically has the same behavior, except that the plus button would bring up a menu instead of directly adding the song.

The simplest way to explain why Squeeze Control doesn't stray too far from how the Squeezebox Controller works is because I want to ensure this app would work across all the different hardware and software options without having to customize it for everything that the squeezebox system can do (the underlying reason is a little more complicated). For most part you can think of Squeeze Control as an additional layer of controls over the standard squeezebox controls.

So to answer your question, no there is no way change the standard behavior of how Squeeze Control handles playing or adding songs.

I have thought about creating some sort of jukebox/party mode that not only changes song adding/playing behavior, but also locking out certain settings and menu selections. However since a squeezebox system can have multiple players that may or may not be synchronized to each other and many varied sources of music, implementing a jukebox mode is a little more complicated than it sounds. Anyway such a mode is a low priority right now, full webOS 2.0 integration will be the next big thing I need to deal with.

Ok, saving a playlist consisting of streaming sources does seem to have a problem, but I'm not sure it is a problem with app or the squeezebox system itself. In the past I have found that the system has problems with saving streams as favorites, so this could be related to that. I'll take a look into it, but I'm currently not in a position to do so, so it will have to wait until after the new year.

I don't use Rhapsody, but doing multiple searches in Rhapsody does sound like a pain. Unfortunately the app doesn't have any control over that. The way the menu navigation is structured is determined by the server. The app just displays whatever the server gives it. Try complaining at the Logitech Squeezebox forums, maybe you can get them to do something about it.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Thanks Wayne;

As a programmer I understand and appreciate everything you are dealing with!
    So, 2 questions:

1. are you saying the it behaves different/better if I am just streaming my local music from a local squeezebox server? I would/will need to setup a different computer to test that as my primary machine hooks up over a VPN and my squeezebox cannot see it due to a different IP network.

2. I tried Napster - also, the same behavior - however, also noticed that I cannot add a single song to a playlist - it adds ALL of them from whatever playlist or song list I am looking at. It then set the current song pointer at the top of the list:

IE:

clear playlist
    backswipe
    napster
    napster playlists
    by genere
    Electronica
    open a playlist
    If I choose a single song it loads the entire list and just sets the current song to the choosen song
    If I just click the little + it says
    "To play next...and the name of the song"
    But the song does not start - if you go to the play list it has again added the entire list.

Is this a bug on the apps part, my boombox, mysqueezeserver, or napster?

Wow...I thought debugging MY code was a PITA -- try dealing with that many different parts!!

I am really trying to get a decent solution for this before NYE, if that means setting up a server I will have to get crackin!

One point of interest, the little squeeze controller has a party mode in it if I remember correctly (I got my boss one for Christmas last year - have not used it much however).

Thank you in advance,

Joe
  8.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by jruder View Post
    1. are you saying the it behaves different/better if I am just streaming my local music from a local squeezebox server? I would/will need to setup a different computer to test that as my primary machine hooks up over a VPN and my squeezebox cannot see it due to a different IP network.
    Depends on what you mean by better. The adding/playing song behavior is the same no matter if you are using MySB or a local server, but the app may be a bit snappier since it won't have to go as far to talk to the server (the squeezebox architecture requires a lot of client/server communication).
    With respect to saving playlists, I guess I never tried it before when using only MySB(never even thought about it). In fact I'm not even sure if it's possible since the MySB website doesn't give you anyway of managing playlists. You can however save favorites. So what you maybe able to do is create a playlist within Rhapsody and save that as a favorite for easy access. If you are using a local server, you can definitely save playlists consisting of locally stored music and with the server setup correctly to integrate with mysb, you may even be able to save playlists that have internet streamed music, but I don't think I've tested that before.

Ok, just checked the squeezeplay software player on a PC and it doesn't give you an option to save a playlist when connected to only mysb.

2. I tried Napster - also, the same behavior - however, also noticed that I cannot add a single song to a playlist - it adds ALL of them from whatever playlist or song list I am looking at. It then set the current song pointer at the top of the list:
    With a player connected to a local server, you can actually control if selecting a single song will automatically add the entire album or not (it's a preference on the server that is set per player). If you then switch the player to mysb, that preference stays with the player on mysb. However they neglected to add that preference selection to the mysb website. So what the sb controller does (and what the ui on the players do) is to send a slightly different command for selecting a song when using mysb. This command would only play a single song. I know I already accounted for this problem a few versions back, by checking if the player is connected to mysb or not and sending the appropriate command. However, I haven't tried it on a player that has never connected to a local server before. Since you're the second person to report this behavior, I'm gonna have to factory reset my Boom and see what the heck is going on.

One point of interest, the little squeeze controller has a party mode in it if I remember correctly (I got my boss one for Christmas last year - have not used it much however).
    You sure about that? I've got two of those, I've never noticed any sort of jukebox mode.

If you do go the local server route, check my website for step-by-step instructions on how to use setup the app with a local server.

If you don't mind using a PC as a controller, you can try this software:
    Dr Lovegrove's Moose house
    It has a party/jukebox mode, but it's windows only.

Wow...I thought debugging MY code was a PITA -- try dealing with that many different parts!!
    You have no idea. <rant_begin> The PITA part is actually not what you think. The SB system is completely server centric be it mysb or a local server. Pretty much all of the menus you navigate in the app is sent from the server. The server sends the menu text, urls for the icons, the type of item (radio button, checkbox, etc.), and the command to send when the item is selected. The app (and the sb controller) is basically a terminal for the server. So supporting different types of players and services is theoretically pretty straight forward. However, the structure of the menu/control data sent to the client is really inconsistent. There's a lot of stuff in there that doesn't seem to be used or may only be use by certain players and most menu items have multiple commands associated with them with no consistent way of telling which command I'm supposed to use. Some parts are just plain broken (you actually see the word 'fix' a lot in the data set). I'm basically just making an educated guess to which command I'm supposed to send based to the existence of certain fields in the data set. This works most of the time, but there are exceptions that I have to hardcode to make work. And to top it all off the structure changes with every new version of the server. That's why when you upgrade the server version, you're always prompted to upgrade the firmware of your sb controller and your players. This is why I dare not stray too far from the standard command behavior for fear that it may cause unforseen consequences.<rant_end>
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Hello;

Concerning the party mode, yes I am sure -- however a search on the logitech wiki turned up the following:

"Playlist and Party Mode have been removed from Squeezebox Server version 7.4 because of conflicts with the new press-to-play behavior. This is an unfortunate regression but this feature never emerged from beta status and we're hoping to do a much better baked solution in future releases, hopefully as early as 7.5"

Soooo...that is that for now!

I will try connecting each of my players up to a local server and setting the option that way -- I will report back here on the success of that.

I just bought a *slightly* damaged boom at bestbuy for 50.00 yesterday -- it hooks right up and works great in the system. I now have 2 booms and a squeezebox radio -- everything seems to work very well. I am impressed on what a good job it does of staying synced!

Thanks and have a great holiday...

Joe

ps thanks for the moose tip -- I will check it out.
    Update:
    --OK, that was quick!

1. Mysqueezebox.com has a option on the general page called play only selected song "Play other songs in album" section - choosing that fixes the "playlist replacement problem"
    2. Sorta workaround for accessing/saving playlist from Rhapsody - if you go to Rhapsody it keeps a list of the last 50 or so tracks you have played and you can add them to a new play list from there - cumbersome due to having to add 1 by 1 but at least better than nothing!

Concerning the "party mode" why could you not have a option to just disable letting somebody choose a song unless they click on the plus? Or just substitute that action for the other? It would seem like that would all be happening pre sending anything from the app so it should not affect compatibility issues (from what incredibly little I understand of how it works)

It is truly annoying to have a playlist (that you can't save) be wiped out by just clicking .25 inch to the left of where you meant!

Anyway -- just wanted to update the other things.

Joe
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm being dense- I just started using SC 2.0.... how do I switch control from one player to another?
    Seems like a easy question doesn't it? I had not tried to do it as I just had all my players synced.

Click on the little icon between the volume and the rewind controls (the one where you would change the repeat/shuffle mode)

it has a option for choosing the player you are controlling.

This will also let you chnage the player background (I assume to make it more obvious which one you are controlling?)

--Joe
  13.    #74  
    Sure I can pretty easily add an option to disable playing a song by tapping the song title, but that's not really all there is to a full fledged party/jukebox mode.
    I would rather introduce a party mode as a fully fleshed out option instead of building it up piece by piece.

For a real party mode, I would probably also need to disable access to preferences, sync controls, and any other option settings. Maybe even limit player switching. Basically you'd want to give guests just enough access to play songs, but not enough to mess things up. However since a lot of the settings are accessed through the menus returned from the server, it means that I'll have to parse the menus to selectively remove items.

For anybody else upgrading from SC 1.X, please read the help. There's a section specifically for upgraders.
    Last edited by wayne@angrygoat; 12/25/2010 at 08:49 AM.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  14.    #75  
    1. Mysqueezebox.com has a option on the general page called play only selected song "Play other songs in album" section - choosing that fixes the "playlist replacement problem"
    Wow, thanks! I never noticed that setting on the MySB website. I wonder if it was always there. You have probably saved me a ton of unnecessary debugging.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  15.    #76  
    This will also let you chnage the player background (I assume to make it more obvious which one you are controlling?)
    Yes that's exactly the reason why. Also this was requested by a user early on in v1.x, but the interface design of the older version would have made it a lot more difficult to do changeable and custom backgrounds.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    Sure I can pretty easily add an option to disable playing a song by tapping the song title, but that's not really all there is to a full fledged party/jukebox mode.
    I would rather introduce a party mode as a fully fleshed out option instead of building it up piece by piece.
    Just my 2 cents worth -- don't call it a party mode then - call it a "quit driving users carzy option"!

LOL - I understand what you are saying - still hoping for a simple "default to add song vs replace playlist" option.

Have a great new year BTW!
  17.    #78  
    Squeeze Control v2.0.3 is now available in the App Catalog.

- Added the option to lock the display orientation on the 'Home' screen's title menu panel.
    - Added the option to also lock the image viewer orientation when the app orientation is locked.
    - When the player menu is open, it will now resize correctly on any screen when the display orientation changes.
    - The title menu of the 'Current Playlist' will no longer display an option to save the playlist if it is not available for the current player.
    - When exiting the 'My Apps' screen before loading has finished, the items from the 'My Apps' screen will no longer be added to the 'Home' screen.
    - An error stating "Cannot call method 'replace' of undefined" should no longer occur.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
  18.    #79  
    Just my 2 cents worth -- don't call it a party mode then - call it a "quit driving users carzy option"!

LOL - I understand what you are saying - still hoping for a simple "default to add song vs replace playlist" option.

Have a great new year BTW!
    I thought about it and you're probably right. I'll look into adding an option to make adding a song the default action for a tap.

New Year to you too.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Wanye,
    You make me happier than my wife ever could.
    Thanks for your continued support!

BOb