Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello folks, it's been a while since my last time here... Recently I decided I wanted a functioning tablet worth using. I still have my dear old TouchPad and I remember that there were people who managed to install Android on it. Sadly, however, all of the old links and pages I've found don't work anymore, to the point that I can't even start trying to do it myself: can't find a working link to download Novacom, for example, and almost all the other things needed. Is there anyone who can help me, or should I just forget about this idea?
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    I would also suggest having a look at the XDA webpages too. There is an active forum for the TP and Android up to 6. Many still prefer 4.4.4 builds as these are generally the most stable and allow you to share the internal SD card so flicking between webOS & Android means you still have all your music/videos/docs available to both OS's. Later Android's separate the SD card and ringfence so you would have to manually mount the webOS partition
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    I would also suggest having a look at the XDA webpages too. There is an active forum for the TP and Android up to 6. Many still prefer 4.4.4 builds as these are generally the most stable and allow you to share the internal SD card so flicking between webOS & Android means you still have all your music/videos/docs available to both OS's. Later Android's separate the SD card and ringfence so you would have to manually mount the webOS partition
    That's what I did. I bought a used TP and did a complete data reset with TPtoolbox (I didn't want to have two operating systems). Then I followed the steps on XDA webpages and installed Android 4.4.4 on the touchpad and now I have a fine working Android-TP for about 50,- Ä!

Of course I still have my other original webos-TP cause I don't wanna lose my beloved webos
    The Android 4.4 that TouchpadToolbox installs is much harder on the battery, I've noticed. While a TP running WebOS can sit idle but on for 72 hours or more, the same TP running Android 4.4 is dead in a day... and sometimes to the point of having to nurse the battery back to life. Any experiences with the later versions battery management? Would jumping from 4.4 to 5 or 6 be helpful or detrimental to the battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Holst View Post
    The Android 4.4 that TouchpadToolbox installs is much harder on the battery, I've noticed. While a TP running WebOS can sit idle but on for 72 hours or more, the same TP running Android 4.4 is dead in a day... and sometimes to the point of having to nurse the battery back to life. Any experiences with the later versions battery management? Would jumping from 4.4 to 5 or 6 be helpful or detrimental to the battery life?
    In my experience Everolv 6.0.1 is quite good. I have one of if not the latest version, and the standby battery drain is decent. Not perfect, but it won't die in a day, especially with the battery saving features like Doze. If battery drain is something you're worried about, I definitely recommend installing apps like Greenify and ForceDoze to combat that. However, 1 GB of RAM for Android is on the low end, so performance will be subpar. But hey, it's a five year old tablet, and in that context Marshmallow runs quite well. But if you want stability, I think the consensus choice on XDA would be jcsullins' builds. I remember his KitKat and Lollipop builds to be quite stable and not too much of a battery killer, although like I said you'd be missing out on Doze. In the end it goes down to trial and error I think.
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I would be, but I find the conditions to have access to the environment too restrictive for me. Specifically,I don't want to be told "format your drive" at any random time, I haven't got enough time to look for its bugs and write reports about them and I have no idea of how to use Linux commands, since I almost never used any Linux OS and I don't have one.
    Thanks for the articles!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    Alright, I'll take a look at those pages and I'll come back for help if I need. Thanks to everyone who replied!
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
  7.    #8  
    Well, the experiment didn't last long. Something absolutely unexpected happened: I shut down my TouchPad in order to power it up again in Recovery Mode and proceed with the the installation, but it wouldn't switch on. Since its battery was very low, I tried to plug it in, but it didn't work either. It's completely dead, nothing happens no matter what I do/push/plug. What the bloody hell?
    I guess suicide was preferable to being turned to the dark side

Maybe try the trickle charge thing (phone charger / USB port) to bring the battery back up (if that is the problem)
    It's always recommended to have a fully charged battery before embarking on new installs and the like.
    xandros9 likes this.
    I find that the Touchstone is the best/only way to deal with the wiped out battery issue. The home button will do its weak blinky light thing on the Touchstone even when it acts totally dead when plugged in to a trickle charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    Well, the experiment didn't last long. Something absolutely unexpected happened: I shut down my TouchPad in order to power it up again in Recovery Mode and proceed with the the installation, but it wouldn't switch on. Since its battery was very low, I tried to plug it in, but it didn't work either. It's completely dead, nothing happens no matter what I do/push/plug. What the bloody hell?
    Sullins wrote a tool to revive dead touchpads like yours via TPDebrick. It has a high success rate and uses Ubuntu Linux and some apps he wrote to get the blinky home light working. You then leave it on a charger for up to a day and it comes back to life. It's discussed heavily on XDA and Rootzwiki forums in the HP Touchpad section. I tried it on one of my older touchpads but unfortunately it could not go past a certain step due to the flash memory actually being corrupted. Hope that's not the case with yours.
    Sķper

Enviado desde mi Touchpad mediante Tapatalk
    Anymore opinions on running some of the newer Android builds?
    I would be if they would port it to shortloin (Touchpad Go).

Happy with Marshmallow on TP4g, disgusted that no one with the proper skillset will work on an android Kernel for the GO. Just a kernel is all we need. I think even I could do the rest, but asking devs to come up with a working kernel based on the original Topaz 2.2.3 Android, or based on the WebOS shortloin kernel has not garnered any interest.

Heck, I'd pay a developer with the proper skillset $500 - $1000 to create an Android kernel for shortloin!

If we happen to find someone who will do it for that amount, I bet we could set up a donation thread here and raise most of that from donations. Plus, I wouldn't need to shoulder all the cost myself.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Er...
    While it's nice to have the Android option for webOS tablets, for that money, you could just buy an Android tablet. Do you want the kernel for LuneOS? You could get the Nexus 7. You could even get a RaspberryPi 3 with the touch screen accessory...

Or am I missing something? Is there something special about the hardware? The charge coil could probably be transplanted..?
    Or 3 or 4 Android tablets - nice ones too. Can't see spending that much getting Android onto old hardware. It's not a superior experience to newer hardware by any means.
    Er...
    While it's nice to have the Android option for webOS tablets, for that money, you could just buy an Android tablet. Do you want the kernel for LuneOS? You could get the Nexus 7. You could even get a RaspberryPi 3 with the touch screen accessory... Or am I missing something? Is there something special about the hardware? The charge coil could probably be transplanted..?
    Sentimental reasons, mostly.

Actually, after thinking about it, I'd prefer to manage donations, whether by using a paypal acct or just keeping a list of committed donors in a thread here and tallying the amounts up as members here post their promises to pay. Even a kick starter isn't out of the question, prolly be overkill ......

The higher the amount soars to, no matter how long (or how quickly) it soars to an amount that makes a developer (any developer, PLEASE....) interested is fine by me.

Lune OS would be nice but I think for the TP GO, shooting for CM 11, even if along the way we get to CM9 first is the best path forward to start with. This decision should be left to the donors and the developer who eventually commits to take this on. Anything is better than what we have now and once the ball is rolling, who knows how far momentum will take it .....

I'll start off the fund with $200. Let's find out what $$$ amount its gonna take for someone who really knows how to do this for us takes interest! For now if you don't mind, I'd prefer to start in this thread, if warranted, we can start another thread or open up a paypal acct for the donations.

Tally is now up to / at USD $200.

Any takers yet?

TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/28/2016 at 10:44 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    I am in for $200 too.
    I have had the pleasure of buying TP GOs from TTB and support the effort of turning even one of the three I have into a 'modern' Android tablet with CM.

- Thomas

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  18.    #19  
    Goddammit I completely forgot about this and only now that I'm in need of a working tablet I remembered of this thread I had opened here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Holst View Post
    I find that the Touchstone is the best/only way to deal with the wiped out battery issue. The home button will do its weak blinky light thing on the Touchstone even when it acts totally dead when plugged in to a trickle charger.
    Thank you, the TouchStone revived it! So, back at it. Gonna check the XDA pages again and try to start the installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I am in for $200 too.
    I have had the pleasure of buying TP GOs from TTB and support the effort of turning even one of the three I have into a 'modern' Android tablet with CM.

- Thomas

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port
    Thanks Thomas.

Tally $400
    ttb
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast