Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By ryancell
  • 1 Post By ryancell
  1.    #1  
    I am a launch day webOS supporter of the HP Touchpad and paid full retail for the 32gb device. I have a box of palm pre's, pixi, veer, frankenpre 2 also. I LOVED webOS and what it was anticipated to become, but I had to have a device that was a bigger screen and current apps. I currently own a Nexus 6 and love it. I haven't touched a webOS device other than for a few minutes to miss what could have been. Then I go back to my android device and make due with it and its influences its gained from webOS over the years.

Now that my life is more busy and I have 3 kids I don't have time to do all the tinkering I once did with webOS device and don't find them as efficient as I once did. My Touchpad has a dual boot webOS with CM9 on it and its pretty dated feeling vs kit kat or lollipop android builds.

I was thinking of using the Touchpad Toolbox by jcsullins that I read about and clearing out webOS & CM9 and doing a clean install of a Lollipop 5.0.x build with Nightlies so I can make my Touchpad operate alongside my phone so they share the same settings/apps (what I wanted for my touchpad and palm phones).

I would just installed Lollipop alongside webOS, but from what I am reading it seems easiest to do a clean wipe and just install Lollipop.

Has anyone here tried Lollipop builds yet? I was reading up on these 2 builds but don't know which to go with. I seem to ean towards the CM 12.0..

-[NIGHTLY] [Lollipop] [5.0] CyanogenMod 12.0 nightlies [3.0 kernel] by milaq
    or
    -Evervolv | 5.0.0p1 [AOSP 5.0] [3.4 kernel] [PREVIEW] With /data/media by flintman

Anyone have any success stories to share on this method of installing Lollipop?

I will miss webOS for what it was, but as far as booting it up and using it, it actually only hurts my mind thinking of what it should have been...Lollipop would at least make me use my device again I think....Please share your input.

Thanks
    <thread moved>

Lollipop has so many issues baked into the full release for Android devices that I'd personally wait and go with a much more stable build of KitKat.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  3.    #3  
    I like lollipop on my nexus 6. With a new 5.1 update coming soon, I hoped to try it on the touchpad. Just trying to figure how to migrate to lollipop and keep dual boot rather than ditch webOS completely.
    It sounds like CM12 is not really ready for the Touchpad yet, so I'd stick with CM11 for now.
    It is possible to triple boot webOS, Android and LuneOS. This would give you past and future webOS with Android. If you are really done with Legacy, you could dual boot with LuneOS and see if the new webOS will develop to do what you want.
  6.    #6  
    Grabber5.0- From what I've read its only got a few bugs so far and on its way to a stable build once google does the next incremental update. I don't use the touchpad daily, so it would be a fun tinker toy. I could always try lollipop and if I have any major issues, I could flash to cm11.

Preemptive- I had a post about a triple boot awhile ago that has about 5 pages of discussion on this topic. It appear its possible and some users have already done it with webOS, Android & LuneOS. Its something that would be fun to consider for sure.
  7.    #7  
    An update. I have a 32gb tp and I used tptoolbox and resized the webOS volume to be about 10gb and kept it intact so I was happy. I used the remaining space to install cm12 and it runs great I think. With future updates it should only get better. I'm very please to go from cm9 to cm12. Now I will probably get more use of the tablet and still have webOS for my nostalgic reasons. I'd like to install luneOS too but at this point I don't want to push my luck and screw something up.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Go with the Evervolv Lollipop ROM. It is working superbly...

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  9.    #9  
    I went with milaqs version being it is nightly with cm12. Wasn't familiar with evervolv. Would love to try out but having the ROM all setup to my liking already, I'd hate to start over on a new version. What's the difference of evervolv?
    Last edited by ryancell; 02/22/2015 at 07:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    I've just moved back to 4.4.4 as I got fed up not having my music and movies available of the SD card. Lollipop devs have decided to not mount this 'external' webOS partition.

Having a 64GB TP I have the space (mostly) but didn't fancy doubling up on everything. At least in 4.4.4 the partition is mounted so the data can be shared.

Overall though I found Lollipop CM12 stable and fluid. Just not for me until the extra partition can be mounted easily by default.
    I've been playing with the Evervolv Lollipop nightlies. It works pretty well with just a few issues:

An error pops up once in a while reporting Google voice search has stopped
    Bluetooth can't see my headset for some reason
    Battery life is bad - was at a full 100% charge when I turned off the screen and went to bed, had dropped to 77% when I woke up. Thats pretty bad compared to webOS on the TP - that would stay in the 90's for quite awhile when not in use.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    .. having my music and movies available of the SD card.

Having a 64GB TP ...
    Hmm ?
    What do you mean here by SD card? The 64GB TP has no SD card slot - right ?

Regards, Martin - owning 2* TP 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Hmm ?
    What do you mean here by SD card? The 64GB TP has no SD card slot - right ?

Regards, Martin - owning 2* TP 64GB
    SD Card is just the name given to that shared partition - think of it as a virtual SD card that you can use to exchange files between the operating systems.
  14.    #14  
    Per my other post, an update is I was able to find the tools to allow me to keep webOSand install cm12 lollipop and then I got greedy and installed LuneOS also. Now I am set!
    normsland likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    SD Card is just the name given to that shared partition - think of it as a virtual SD card that you can use to exchange files between the operating systems.
    So is it the case that you can make an 'SD card' partition that can be read by all the installed OSs?

This would be very useful - certainly for sharing space and not having to duplicate files.
    I'm pretty happy with the Evervolv Lollipop build. Well, about as happy as I'm going to be without webOS...
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  17.    #17  
    I almost tried evervolv but went with milaqs version since it was cm12. I hate when I use my touchpad and I am on android and try to do the swipe up gesture and others by habit.
    There are ways to add gestures to android though. I tried a few different apps designed for the task because I couldn't stand android without gestures. I ended up with 'Gesture Navigation', an addon to the xposed framework that I am very pleased with. Now I prefer using android on the touchpad over webOS because I can swipe to go back without pushing a back button that is often in different places.

I set it up with four simple edge detect gestures:
    • swipe left (bottom): back
    • swipe right (bottom): list of last used apps
    • swipe up (bottom): homescreen
    • swipe right (left edge): last used app (to switch between two apps)

I added another xposed module called 'Ultimate Dynamic Navbar' to hide the 'navbar' (the thing with those android buttons on it) while being able to unhide it with a simpe swipe from the bottom left corner. Reason being there are some apps that don't interact well with gestures on the edges of the screen for the simple reason that they are designed with their own set of swipe gestures.

So the above tool isn't a perfect replacement for a real gesture area, but it makes android a lot more user friendly imo.
    Sadly, xposed doesn't work on Lollipop, and the alpha for Lollipop doesn't work on TouchPad :-S

I suppose it would be nice if someone wrote a real Luna-classic-webOS style launcher for Android, but all the copies I've seen were cheap imitations.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: