Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ildanach
  1.    #1  
    Hello folks

Urgent request (to me). I'm travelling in a couple of days and I do not want to bring a laptop to transfer pictures from an SD card to a portable HDD. I would like to use a powered usb hub, OTG cable and SD reader with a portable harddrive. I have all the hardware, and understand the mechanical configurations needed.

BUT I cannot figure out how to get the touchpad to talk to the usb drive that is powered and attached. I've tried the stickmount app and I'm lost!!

REQUEST: Can someone help me to set up the OTG (On the Go) system so I can move pictures from SD Card to HDD through the Touchpad? Please
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You want the TP to read both the SD card and the portable HD?
    In Android KitKat you could try 'Total Commander' + 'USB-Stick Plugin' (free) Apps.
    ('StickMount' works fine here in CM 10.X)
    In webOS use 'USB Flash Mount OTG' but install 'Bourne Again Shell' first..
    If it's a Hard Disc Drive (as opposed to a Solid State Drive) ensure that your power-supply can deliver adequate current.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/20/2014 at 07:21 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you. I have tried to load Bourne... but I am getting a preware error "-1 unable to run command:/usr/bin/curl -s -l...." Memory is fading, but I think this is an old issue and I found a solution for it once. Cannot find it now

As to the total commander solution, everything installed, but not able to read a usb drive through the powered usb hub. Were you able to get your system working?
    Quote Originally Posted by ildanach View Post
    Thank you. I have tried to load Bourne... but I am getting a preware error "-1 unable to run command:/usr/bin/curl -s -l...." Memory is fading, but I think this is an old issue and I found a solution for it once. Cannot find it now

As to the total commander solution, everything installed, but not able to read a usb drive through the powered usb hub. Were you able to get your system working?
    The Preware error is due to the fact that someone stole Preware.org. If you update to the latest version of Preware it will pull from Preware.net instead
  5.    #5  
    Really? Ok, I will do that asap.

That is through novacom, correct? Having troubles with that on windows 8, will be digging out an old laptop
    Quote Originally Posted by ildanach View Post
    Really? Ok, I will do that asap.

That is through novacom, correct? Having troubles with that on windows 8, will be digging out an old laptop
    You can pick up an updated WOSQI here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ytrauvlq...4.5.1.jar?dl=0
    That should get you up & running again with Preware/webOS.
    I have had success with 'StickMount' in CM 10.X and 'USB Flash Mount OTG' in webOS on the TP..
    And with 'USB Stick Plugin' + 'Total Commander' in KitKat - but NOT on a TP, yet! (This was tried on an 'HP 10 Plus' Tablet ~ not a bad machine actually!).

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/21/2014 at 09:42 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  7.    #7  
    Folks, thank you very much!!

Your help on the software side helped me to determine the issue on the hardware side. Everything works. I can now read a 2.5" hdd, a usb flash drive and two sd card readers (if I wish to) at the same time and move data between them. Perfect!

THE SOLUTION
    The hardware issue I had was actually powering the usb hub VIA its native power source.

I suspect it was regulating power direction and stopping the flow back towards the touchpad. To overcome this I used:
    - A Y usb cable to connect to the hub WITHOUT the native power source attached to it.
    - The data side of the Y cable is plugged into the hub
    - The power side of the Y cable is plugged into a usb power source (tested 2.1A battery and a wall socket power source).
    NOTE: The mini usb male plug does not have to be plugged into a device (e.g. hdd) for this to work

With the Total Commander and USB Stick Plugin as suggested, I can read/write to the devices. Brilliant!

Unfortunately I updated my touchpad to kitkat before I figured this out. Now I cannot use the excellent touchpad media player to see my holiday movies (to scrap the crap ones) on the go. Unless you folks know how to get me back there....?
    Remy X and Mutoidi like this.
    Doctor it, dual or triple boot it. Those are the search terms to use on the forums...

Good luck.
    I should go traveling first though!
    Glad it all worked out with KitKat anyway.