Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chrishw
  1.    #1  
    So i just recently received the hp touchpad from a friend who just acquired an ipad. I was looking online trying to see how i can install android kitkat on it but i cannot seem to get the novacom drivers to install it just seems to say it is installing and 10 hours later no change. can anyone point me in the right direction or show me another way to do it without novacom
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon Boyd View Post
    So i just recently received the hp touchpad from a friend who just acquired an ipad. I was looking online trying to see how i can install android kitkat on it but i cannot seem to get the novacom drivers to install it just seems to say it is installing and 10 hours later no change. can anyone point me in the right direction or show me another way to do it without novacom
    Hi Devon. Glad to see our back

There's a DNS issue on HP's end, where the domain name, under which Novacom drivers at hosted, is not linked to the new server that now hosts the files. So the links will come up dead, even though the file is available. It sounds like you're using the Universal Novacom Installer though, and cannot see the error message directly. Still, same difference. Luckily, you can fix this on your own machine, an get on with the process.

You will be editing the "hosts" file is located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc, and will be adding missing DNS records that HP should have propagated to your ISP's (internet service provider's) DNS servers, but hasn't.

So... Go to "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc"
    ...and if you have Windows XP, right-click the "hosts" file, then click "Properties", the last option on the bottom. When "Properties" open up, uncheck the "read-only" box and click "Apply". Then open Notepad and drag the file into the Notepad window.
    If you have Windows 7, find Notepad on your Start menu and right-click, then click "Run as Administrator", and then drag the "hosts" file into Notepad.

Copy this into the "hosts" file:
    Code:
    23.4.17.24	cdn.downloads.palm.com
    63.80.4.201	downloads.help.palm.com
    140.211.169.161	ipkg.preware.org
    and click "Save". If you're on XP, go back to "Properties" and set the file back to "read-only".

If you are using a Mac or Linux (Ubuntu, etc) computer, the file is still under "/etc/hosts" and you can probably Google for a guide.

If you're using Windows 7 and have a problem saving the file, try also unchecking the "read only" box.

And finally, be sure you are using the correct version of Universal Novacom Installer. There's an x86 (32-bit) and an x64 (64-bit) installer, which one you use depends on your CPU architecture. I you have more than 4 GB of RAM, chances are it's the latter.

If you'll have any more questions, please feel free to ask
    Last edited by Remy X; 12/04/2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Updated the hosts to an older, working IP address
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon Boyd View Post
    Here is a good link for the universal novacom drivers:https://code.google.com/p/universal-...downloads/list
    Pre 2, TouchPad 32
    Quote Originally Posted by GiffordT View Post
    Here is a good link for the universal novacom drivers:https://code.google.com/p/universal-...downloads/list
    Sir, that doesn't address the fact that the problem is on HP's end. Everyone has to update their "hosts" file, even if they are using a "good" link
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Sir, that doesn't address the fact that the problem is on HP's end. Everyone has to update their "hosts" file, even if they are using a "good" link
    I am confused. The novacom drivers are downloaded to your computer to enable the install of Android on the touchpad. What does that have to do with HP?

The "good" link is all that you need. Download and install on the computer, then install Android (hopefully using TPtoolbox) on the touchpad.
    Pre 2, TouchPad 32
    Quote Originally Posted by GiffordT View Post
    I am confused. The novacom drivers are downloaded to your computer to enable the install of Android on the touchpad. What does that have to do with HP?

The "good" link is all that you need. Download and install on the computer, then install Android (hopefully using TPtoolbox) on the touchpad.
    The drivers themselves are not packed inside the installer, they are hosted externally. And HP has messed up, so the server hosting the drivers themselves is not bound to the domain name it should have....

Updating your hosts file will make the downloads work, and UNI would work like it should
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Legend!!!!!

This really save me. Thank you.
    Anyone still having issues with this? I don't get an error but the "installing drivers: Initializing" or "Downloading drivers: Initializing" never goes out. It just doesn't end... Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Menezes View Post
    Anyone still having issues with this? I don't get an error but the "installing drivers: Initializing" or "Downloading drivers: Initializing" never goes out. It just doesn't end... Anyone?
    I've went and updated the listing in my instructions post to a different IP address. Please try it now and see if it will work for you

Code:
    23.4.17.24	cdn.downloads.palm.com
    63.80.4.201	downloads.help.palm.com
    140.211.169.161	ipkg.preware.org
    better late than never...

this link still works- https://github.com/JayCanuck/webos-q...tall-4.6.0.jar