Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By John Steffes
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    At this point in mid-2014 is it worth trying to shoehorn Android onto my HP Touchpad or should I just pick up a vanilla Android tablet and run with it? My concern is how well Android runs on the Touchpad due to the ram limitations but more than anything my concern is battery life. It's starting to finally fade on the Touchpad and I'd hate to waste hours putting a new OS on it just to make things worse on either battery life or performance. Can anybody tell me how well the current Android operates on the Touchpad? Thanks!
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Can't speak for new builds...

But I use the last CM9 nightly (Ice Cream Sandwich), everything works (camera, sounds, flash, music, etc...), yes there are newer build for CM10 (Jelly Bean), and CM 10.x (Kit Kat), but as far as stable goes CM9 works great for me...

Now I leave my HP touchpad running webOS, boot into CM9, use what I want, but when I am done I reboot back into webOS (this I think saves me for the battery and NAND issues other have had)...

I also have some generic NextBook ICS tablets and they are not as fast as the HP Touchpad, now compare to a new flashy Quad core device, the Touchpad will never compare, but it is still a good tablet for the price most of us paid, and is quick enough to work well...

It does not take that long to install, however, you have to make sure you have all the right files to install the moboot, CM build, Google Apps, and I think using the ClockWorkMod recovery is all a must to backup the Android instance...
    jrb363 and geekpeter like this.
    android runs ok for the most part on my touchpad. i have been using cm 10. It's not something i really carry with me and use all the time, just for the reason that it's 9+ inches, but for my occasional use it's fine.

One thing worth mentioning is that installing CM makes the touchpad dual boot. so if you don't like andriod due to battery life or whatever, you can always ignore it and go back to using webos. Or you can switch between the two as often as you want, though considering the touchpad's boot time this could be annoying if done often.
    I am running one of the newer builds and it does everything I need it to do. I suggest you go for it and give it a spin. As said it's not that difficult to do and if you don't like it, it's even easier to remove. There are a few different flavors. I have an Evervolv build on one and CM on the other. The one thing I like about Evervolv is that when you go to reboot it asks if you want to reboot in Android or WebOS. CM does not have that option. ( If it does someone please point me in the right direction.)
    One of my touchpad's runs Shumash's "Schizoid" Kang All in One; some CM, some AOKP, some PA.
    Its time from a fresh install of it though.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    I have ACL and thought that would be enough, but there are some apps that won't work, so I use both ACL & CM 10. I only use CM for a few apps, most everything is in ACL. It takes 4 minutes to switch from CM to webOS, less than 2 to go from webOS to ACL. I haven't noticed any battery or performance issues. CM makes me realize how slow ACL is.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    I still run webos 3.0.5 on all my TPs (some with LunaCE if available).
    I consider installing some recent Android 4.4 in parallel to webos.

For that I will definitely use the new and great TPToolbox provided by the great jcsullins:
    Touchpad Toolbox - xda-developers

I wonder why this is not the hotest topic over here at webosnation too.
    xda seems to be a great place for developer folks ( I registered over there .. )
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    I still run webos 3.0.5 on all my TPs (some with LunaCE if available).
    I consider installing some recent Android 4.4 in parallel to webos.

For that I will definitely use the new and great TPToolbox provided by the great jcsullins:
    Touchpad Toolbox - xda-developers

I wonder why this is not the hotest topic over here at webosnation too.
    xda seems to be a great place for developer folks ( I registered over there .. )
    most who have a working system probably dont want to risk something going wrong and potentially losing their webOS side, esp with todays app restore problem and the cert issue.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    After trying and being so disappointed with the performance and other issues of ACL, I installed Evervolv and am now running android jelly bean with all the apps and performance that I would expect. The install was easier and much quicker than expected.

The Touchpad has again become my daily user and the range of applications and integration with my computers and phone has been a real joy. The 7" android tablet I had been using has taken a backseat to the TP.

Although I still lament the passing of webOS, and being forced to move on to Android phones and other devices, getting back the ability to comfortable use and enjoy my Touchpad has been a pleasure. I have also installed it on my wife's and daughters Touchpads and they too are thrilled with it as well.

So, for what it is worth, I would recommend "shoehorning" on Android and experience again the joy of using your Touchpad.
    Pre 2, TouchPad 32