1.    #1  
    Well, I think it finally happened. I can get no life out of my touchpad. I was browsing on CM10 with about 85% battery life and it just locked completely. "No problem," I thought to myself, "I'll just reset it." Power-VolDown-Home button and the HP splashscreen appeared, MoBoot let me choose my CyanogenMod install and it started booting into that. I sat it down, came back about 5 minutes later and...

Nothing.

Won't power on at all. It was warm on the back of the TP, but beyond that there was nothing that was different about this boot than any other time that I've reset it.

Pwr-Home for 15sec = Nothing. Pwr-Home for 1min+ = nothing. Pwr & repeatedly clicking 'home' 100's of times = nothing. Pwr-VolDown-Home for 15sec = Nothing. Pwr-VolDown-Home for 1min+ = Nothing. Pwr-VolUp-Home for 15sec = Nothing. Pwr-VolUp-Home for 1min+= Nothing.

Left it plugged in overnight and repeated the above options = nothing.

Left it plugged in for 2 nights with a different HP charger and USB cable = nothing.

Plugged it into my computer, fired up webOS Doctor = Doesn't see the Touchpad. Nothing in attached devices. Nothing.

Searched the forums. Thousands of posts about "don't forget to hold home-volup/down-pwr" and a few of "Doctor it?" but nothing in terms of what to do if neither of those work.

Before I consider it a complete brick, is there anything else to try? I have a second TP and accessories and my USB cable/chargers work fine on that TP, so I don't think this is as simple as a bad charger.

Thanks in advance. I'd love to get it up and running again...but I'm not too optimistic at the moment.
    When you plug it into your PC and press Power + Home do you get a USB error when it tries to install the Novacomm drivers? Of course you need the Novacom software installed on your PC or it may just error out as unknown device. Either way if you do see this connection attempt, then all hope is not lost.

See here:

Revived Touchpad... my story, full instructions...

I hope it's of some help.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    When you plug it into your PC and press Power + Home do you get a USB error when it tries to install the Novacomm drivers? Of course you need the Novacom software installed on your PC or it may just error out as unknown device. Either way if you do see this connection attempt, then all hope is not lost.

See here:

Revived Touchpad... my story, full instructions...

I hope it's of some help.
    Thanks joeytino. I've got Novacom installed. When I plug it into the PC and press power+home, nothing happens. Nothing on the PC side, nothing on the TP. No sign of any connection attempt. I presume that's a bad sign.

Your link is interesting. That said, I can't really justify buying another PC to install Ubantu and go from there. That'll take more time + money than I can justify.... There are levels of 'bricking'; if my only option is to come up with another PC and do all that, I'll just call it a day and accept that I got a good value out of my firesale TP.
    I had the same experience. The dual boot touchpad was well charged but froze in webOS. I rebooted by holding power and pressing the home button until it shutdown - but it never came back on. I search for solutions and believe I have tried them all, including the TP Debrick (which has worked previously). Unfortunately, it gets stuck with the common but unsolved open multi error.

I'd gladly try something new if there are any other solutions that could work.

Thanks!

Dave
    Try the "low power usb charger" method first und "low power boot mode":

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3414837

Don't give up usually a charging without debrick or opening TP is possible - patience is the key.
  6.    #6  
    Time for an update. Short version: TP still not working. Stuck on 'fastboot mode not found' in tpdebrick.

Much longer version:

I tried the low power USB charge for 5 days. Nothing seemed to be different. However, when I plugged the TP into my computer and held pwr-home-voldown for 30 seconds, Windows detected it as a new USB device. Progress. Unfortunately it was a random qualcom qdl mode device...and I couldn't get anything beyond that.

Further reading made me decide it was worth trying tpdebrick. Also, I didn't realize I could run Ubuntu from a USB stick (doesn't need a dedicated computer). D'oh. That made it much easier. Got it booted, downloaded tpdebrick and doctor 3.05 per the instructions here: TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki. Ran tpdebrick and it hung at 'fastboot mode not found.' Damn.

Further reading gave me these instructions for the newest fastboot tool:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

I ran those and everything installed. I think that basically accomplished the same as what was on the revived tp link at Revived Touchpad... my story, full instructions..., which recommended going software center-android-tools-fastboot. Ran tpdebrick again. As it was running through the initial things I saw a message flashby that said "fastboot - lastest version already installed'. Success! Nope. After running through a series of things it did the same thing as previously (from the logs):

Reseting device...
    Requesting Reset...
    Waiting for fastboot mode...
    fastboot mode not found
    Aborted

DAMN! Okay, fine. The instructions at rootwiki say to use the 32 bit of Ubuntu, while the links here recommended 64 bit. I switched to 64 bit Ubuntu, did all the above again. Same result. fastboot mode not found.

I found another thread with a guy who thought that his TP wasn't being seen via USB at all, but a quick check in ubuntu makes me pretty confident that it's there...just with the same QDL as windows showed:

(WHEN TP ATTACHED I GET)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 019: ID 05c6:9008 Qualcomm, Inc. Gobi Wireless Modem (QDL mode) <---THIS ONE!!!
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f9:0100 KeyTronic Corp. Keyboard
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0458:0007 KYE Systems Corp. (Mouse Systems)
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0930:6544 Toshiba Corp. Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 Stick (2GB)

(WHEN DETACHED I GET
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f9:0100 KeyTronic Corp. Keyboard
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0458:0007 KYE Systems Corp. (Mouse Systems)
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0930:6544 Toshiba Corp. Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 Stick (2GB)

So. That's all I've got. I haven't been able to figure out a way past the fastboot mode not found problem. I feel like I'm close...but obviously am still missing something. I *have* learned some about Ubuntu, so it's not a total waste of time. But clearly there's something wrong still. Any help, suggestions, recommendations would be most appreciated!
  7.    #7  
    ...oh, and did I mention how much I appreciate the wisdom of folks on this forum? I haven't posted much, but i have gained much wisdom from reading around here! :-)