AndroidChroot v1.0.0 (beta)
    System Requirements: webOS 2.x, Pre3
    Description: run android inside card
    Screenshots:

Sources:
    https://github.com/nizovn/AndroidChroot
    https://github.com/nizovn/android_device_hp-palm_rib
    Installation:
    To begin, there are some comments, which you should consider before you start installing AndroidChroot on your HP Pre3.
    • This will void the warranty.
    • This is a beta release of the software. This means that you may encounter various errors. You are responsible, if something goes wrong.
    • This version of Android CyanogenMod 7.

1. Download necessary files.
    Download and install the Palm Novacom on your computer. You can download it by installing the webOS SDK. This package runs on Windows, OS X or Linux. You can also use Universal Novacom Installer to install Novacom.
    Novacom is needed for a trial boot on the Pre3 with the Android kernel. If you are sure it is working correctly (you have tested it before), you can skip this step and install the bootloader (bootr-nofob) or replace the stock kernel (not recommended).

Download root.tar.gz, data.tar.gz, system.tar.gz, uImage.android(or UberKernel version uImage.android, but you need uberkernel ipk installed), files.sh and com.nizovn.androidchroot_1.0.0_all.ipk
    Update: changed root.tar.gz and system.tar.gz for hw keyboard support, by ananimus(post #58).

2. Create files and copy them to the Pre 3.
    AndroidChroot needs 5 files to work correctly being :
    root.ext3, system.ext3, data.ext3, cache.ext3, swap.ext3 ( which isn't actually an ext3 file).

Please note these commands are to be executed in Linux (either native or via VirtualBox or Cygwin (not tested yet)).

These files can be created by executing the following commands in the folder where you placed all the files:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x files.sh
    sudo ./files.sh
    You can adjust the file sizes in files.sh, if you want.

In case you don’t have a Linux machine available, you could also do these steps on your Pre 3, but it will be a bit slower. You can connect with Novaterm and execute the following:
    Code:
    ./files.sh
    NOTE: Due to the small size of RAM in the Pre 3 (380MB) it's necessary to use a swap file. Since continuous use of Android will heavily rely on the swap file which is stored in the flash memory, this can drastically reduce the life-time of your flash memory, because flash memory has a limited number of write cycles and these will get used up rather quickly this way.

If you want to install gapps, then follow the steps in under 4.

In case you created the files on your PC, you need to copy all the files from the “out”-folder on your PC to the Pre 3's /media/internal/AndroidChroot directory.
    It is also necessary to create a folder called “sdcard” in /media/internal/AndroidChroot. This is used by many programs in Android and using this folder you can easily transfer files between webOS and Android. You will also need a folder called “root” in /media/internal/AndroidChroot

3. Install and run android.

Install the ipk-file using WebOSQuickInstall or Preware and reboot your Pre3 into recovery mode by restarting the phone and holding the “volume up” button until you see the big USB symbol on the screen.

In the terminal/command line, navigate to the directory containing Novacom (when not accessible from current directory) and make sure to have uImage.android in the same folder and run:
    Code:
    novacom boot mem:// < uImage.android
    After the Pre 3 booted, you can start the AndroidChroot app.
    WARNING: Android will only work with this kernel. Since this method for safety reasons does not contain anything that can affect the webOS boot process, after you reboot, the Pre 3 will use stock (or maybe custom, if you've replaced it) kernel again and AndroidChroot will not be able to run. If you have tested AndroidChroot and you decided to install the Android kernel on your Pre 3, then you can set up a dual-boot with bootr-nofob(see step #7) or replace the stock kernel (not recommended).
    The first boot can take very long, be patient.
    4. Installing Google Apps (gapps)
    Download gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip and put in a folder with the archives.
    Download gapps.sh, put it in the same folder and run it.
    5. Using AndroidChroot.
    To start Android, launch the AndroidChroot app and press the “Start Android && Start Client”-button. A new card (client) will appear and it will boot Android. The Up Gesture is equivalent to screen lock in Android. The client can be safely thrown off, you can open it again in AndroidChroot.
    The Back gesture corresponds to pressing the back button, the Forward gesture to the home button.
    To turn off Android, go to the AndroidChroot app and press «Send Shutdown», which corresponds to pressing the power button in Android. In the client, the reboot menu will appear, then select to “turn off” (or reboot).
    Unfortunately, not all of the code responsible for wifi was removed. Therefore, when selecting flight mode, wifi will turn off irreversibly. Be careful and avoid accidentally turning on this mode.
    When working in android, do not close the AndroidChroot card, because most likely your Pre3 will run out of RAM, so you will not be able to shutdown Android, because AndroidChroot will refuse to launch.
    For convenience, you can set the screen off timeout in Android settings to “maximum” and disable the lock screen (strongly recommended). If the screen turns off, then minimize/maximize the client app and make a Back gesture (see video — screen turned off while loading Opera).
    When you run demanding applications, be prepared for the fact that the Pre 3 will be very slow and may stop responding to actions - you then have to wait patiently until it unfreezes.
    6. Removing AndroidChroot.
    AndroidChroot can be removed as any normal application, but be prepared that the removal process may hang. In this case, restart your Pre 3.
    7. Set up a dual-boot with bootr-nofob
    Download bootr-nofob-master.zip and put it under /media/internals/AndroidChroot, put uImage.android in the same folder.
    Execute in novaterm:
    Code:
    cd /media/internal/AndroidChroot
    cp uImage.android /boot/uImage.Android
    mkdir tmp
    unzip bootr-nofob-master.zip -d tmp
    cp -rf tmp/bootr-nofob-master /boot/bootr
    sh /boot/bootr/bin/install.sh install
    mount -o remount,rw /boot
    cp /boot/sbin/init.webos.bootr /boot/sbin/init.android.bootr
    rm -fr tmp
    Uninstall bootr:
    Code:
    sh /boot/bootr/bin/install.sh uninstall
    NOTE: if you installed uberkernel, you will need to uninstall bootr and uberkernel in the same order as installed them(they both do backups). For example: install UK->install bootr->uninstall bootr->uninstall UK.
    Additional notes:
    1. It is also possible to enable tablet UI(for android onscreen buttons) by replacing system.ext3/framework/framework-res.apk with framework-res.apk and system.ext3/app/SystemUI.apk with SystemUI.apk.
    2. If you want to install apps requiring root access, then mount system.ext3 and under xbin directory run:
    Code:
    chown root:root ./*
    chmod 6755 ./*
    Video demonstration:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyBJW3VGZ4A[/YT]
    If you are so much impressed by AndroidChroot, and want to donate, you can do it HERE.(but I can not guarantee that I will be able to improve AndroidChroot).
    Useful projects whose source greatly helped writing this app:
    Main Page - WebOS Internals
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro..._hp_tenderloin
    https://github.com/xndcn/veer-touchpanel-driver
    https://github.com/pakesson/ParallelDroid
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NIN_ru; 09/04/2014 at 05:56 AM. Reason: added bootr info
    Wow, Nikolay! This is nothing less than amazing. Very nice work! I know you've put a lot of time into this. Thank you for taking the time to post it here.

Do you also have some more comments about it? For example, places where devs here or from XDA might focus, or things you know don't work, etc? Besides the fact that it's slow because of the need to run in swap, of course.

Some of your comments are that you do not recommend botting fully with bootr. Why is that? If booting directly in, does it still run in swap?

Also, GDocs is giving an error on system.tar.gz, file not found after file size warning. (Edit: Nevermind. Available now.)
    Last edited by ananimus; 02/10/2014 at 03:54 PM.
    Wow, just wow. I still remember back in the days where there was a Pre Android port that worked tethering the info via USB. Great work!!

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk Pro
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    This... is.... Amazing! Wow!

ananimus, Palmiga and MAMISHO like this.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for comments.
    All things are not working, except wifi, gapps. This mean no sound, gps, rotation, keyboard, camera, hw acceleration. But i think keyboard and gps maybe not very hard to solve. One fact: if you launch camera app(just in curiosity), screen will rotate to "tablet" orientation, and it seems to be irreversible.
    Good places to start(relatively simple) are keyboard, uberkernel support, and maybe touchpad support.
    Difficult, but profitable target is to upgrade to cm9 for hw acceleration.
    I recommend to use bootr(first kernel - stock, second - modified), and do not recommend just to replace stock kernel with uimage.android(to reduce risk of unpredictable errors).
    [Bitter comment about ACL goes here.]
    Nikolay, what a great achievement! An excellent start with all your hard work and, I assume long hours. I'll have to try it out. Thanks.
    Hi Nikolay, great work! Any chance this could be "easily" ported to the Veer too? The Veer is my daily driver and would happily run Android apps on it.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  9.    #9  
    veer is armv6, so it's necessary to recompile whole android. On my old computer it will be VERY long. On my new computer it will be fast, but i need to install build environment from scratch(download android, install toolchain). So, i think it's rational to setup build enviroment on fast computer for cm9(both armv6 and armv7) and to port it. It's also needs a lot of time, so i don't know when i will try it.(but if you want you can compile cm7 just replacing armv7 with armv6).
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN_ru View Post
    veer is armv6, so it's necessary to recompile whole android. On my old computer it will be VERY long. On my new computer it will be fast, but i need to install build environment from scratch(download android, install toolchain). So, i think it's rational to setup build enviroment on fast computer for cm9(both armv6 and armv7) and to port it. It's also needs a lot of time, so i don't know when i will try it.(but if you want you can compile cm7 just replacing armv7 with armv6).
    *cough* Pre 2*cough*

but i will try on Pre3-testing device first - thx for supporting the community
    Actually Veer is armv7, with a Qualcomm MSM7230, you're thinking Pixi, that's armv6 with the MSM7227.
    Actually Veer is ARMv7 too! It uses the MSM7230, see Snapdragon (system on chip) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Pixi is ARMv6! That's why I was asking, since it's ARMv7 as well and the same generation chipset as the Pre3 I thought it might be pretty straight forward? I just have no clue where to start... Any hints would be great! If needed I might be able to assist in getting some additional calculation power for you on some remote machines that allows compilation a lot quicker as well
    Last edited by Herrie; 02/11/2014 at 06:54 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    legendary effort, ranks high along with chompers effort on the touchpad, really am amazed with what 1 man or small groups can achieve on obscure devices/operating systems which arent seen as popular by the masses.

+1 and then some, really would be amazing if your plan for cm9 and other improvements is achievable.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Great stuff. Awesome! Will try it, if I find some spare time to invest.
  15.    #15  
    OK, I was totally wrong about veer.
    While compiling veer kernel with android configs, one problem appeared - file lowmemorykiller.c doesn't want to compile. It seems that Palm replaced oomkilladj with oom_adj, but ignored android files. So, I see 2 logical ways to solve it. First - manually change oomkilladj to signal->oom_adj, and second - to use lowmemorykiller.c from pre3 sources. I think it's better to use first kernel. If you have unnecessary veer and want to try AndroidChroot, then follow the instruction, just with these files:
    com.nizovn.androidchroot_1.0.0_veer.ipk
    uImage.veer_modified
    uImage.veer_pre3(use it only if first kernel doesn't work)
    I will see pre2 sources later(maybe tomorrow).
    OK, I was totally wrong about veer.
    While compiling veer kernel with android configs, one problem appeared - file lowmemorykiller.c doesn't want to compile. It seems that Palm replaced oomkilladj with oom_adj, but ignored android files. So, I see 2 logical ways to solve it. First - manually change oomkilladj to signal->oom_adj, and second - to use lowmemorykiller.c from pre3 sources. I think it's better to use first kernel. If you have unnecessary veer and want to try AndroidChroot, then follow the instruction, just with these files:
    com.nizovn.androidchroot_1.0.0_veer.ipk
    uImage.veer_modified
    uImage.veer_pre3(use it only if first kernel doesn't work)
    I will see pre2 sources later(maybe tomorrow).
    Amazing stuff! Will try later today or early tomorrow! In case you need any help with a development environment that's quicker, let me know, might be able to work something out for you

Is the bootr-nofob step required? Seems that it doesn't support the Veer currently. Adding it seems fairly easy though
    [edit]
    Updated bootr-nofob for the Veer and TP Go! Will try and see if I can get the author to update GitHub as well based on the PRPRPR $I$ $made$ $for$ $this$. $Updated$ $code$ $including$ $Veer$ $and$ $TP$ $Go$ $support$ $can$ $be$ $found$ $at$ https://github.com/Herrie82/bootr-nofob for now
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Herrie; 02/11/2014 at 03:51 PM.
    Proximity likes this.
    NIN_ru: any possibility of source codes being made available? I'm thinking it wouldn't be very difficult to add a webOS system bus interface somewhere (that code is pretty simple, really), and then interfacing to webOS components might be a lot easier.

Sadly, none of my Pre3's or Veer work.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    This is so fu$%§ing amazing!!!
    Thank you so much. A dream comes true.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    NIN_ru: any possibility of source codes being made available? I'm thinking it wouldn't be very difficult to add a webOS system bus interface somewhere (that code is pretty simple, really), and then interfacing to webOS components might be a lot easier.

Sadly, none of my Pre3's or Veer work.
    https://github.com/nizovn/AndroidChroot
    https://github.com/nizovn/android_device_hp-palm_rib
    cool
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    ananimus and Rnp like this.
    awesome... !!!!!!
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast