Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes
    Veer doesn't work yet it seems. It opens the card, screen is black and reboots the Veer (with 2.2.4 webOS on it). Should I use 2.1.2 instead? Tried with both kernels, same result.

Seems like bootr-nofob needs some further patching for the Veer screen resolution. I'll work on that as well
    Attached Files Attached Files
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Updated bootr-nofob for the Veer and TP Go! Will try and see if I can get the author to update GitHub as well based on the PRPRPR $I$ $made$ $for$ $this$. $Updated$ $code$ $including$ $Veer$ $and$ $TP$ $Go$ $support$ $can$ $be$ $found$ $at$ https://github.com/Herrie82/bootr-nofob for now
    Great work!
    Please try it again with this init.rc(in root.ext3, to enable logging). Log file logcat.txt will be in system.ext3.
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN_ru View Post
    Great work!
    Please try it again with this init.rc(in root.ext3, to enable logging). Log file logcat.txt will be in system.ext3.
    Thanks! Will do when home! How to put this init.rc in root.ext3? And how to get logcat.txt from system.ext3?

Bootr doesn't work properly due to Veer 320*400 resolution (Pre (2) has 320*480). Trying to find out how to fix that now
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4.    #24  
    How to put this init.rc in root.ext3? And how to get logcat.txt from system.ext3?
    Code:
    cd /media/internal/AndroidChroot
    mount root.ext3 root
    mv root/init.rc root/init.rc.bak
    mv init.rc root/init.rc
    umount root
    Code:
    cd /media/internal/AndroidChroot
    mount system.ext3 root
    cp root/logcat.txt ./
    umount root
    eKeith likes this.
    Regarding to the installation instructions, can you clarify a few things?

1. Is bootr required or optional?
    2. "Copy all files from the folder «out» to the pre3's /media/internal/AndroidChroot directory." Do they need to be copied or can they be moved (they're quite big and Veer only has 8GB in total)? It might be good to include this in the sh-script so it's automated? As well as the
    "Create a folder /media/internal/AndroidChroot/sdcard" and "/media/internal/AndroidChroot/root" folder.

3. The correct command should be
    Code:
    novacom boot mem:// < uImage.android
  6.    #26  
    1. Is bootr required or optional?
    It's required if you want to run android kernel without computer.(you can use moboot for veer instead).
    2. "Copy all files from the folder «out» to the pre3's /media/internal/AndroidChroot directory." Do they need to be copied or can they be moved (they're quite big and Veer only has 8GB in total)? It might be good to include this in the sh-script so it's automated? As well as the
    "Create a folder /media/internal/AndroidChroot/sdcard" and "/media/internal/AndroidChroot/root" folder.
    Scripts files.sh and gapps.sh are supposed to run on computer(for speeding up) and then just copy resulted files to phone.
    3. The correct command should be
    Code:
    novacom boot mem:// < uImage.android
    Thanks, i will edit post.
    eKeith likes this.
    this is impressive.

one motivated person is accomplishing more alone, than a company which had already solicited pre sales cash.

is there any way this community can pitch in to make this REALLY work WELL, and finally slam the door on the phony salesman *cough*acl*cough* that's had his virtual foot in our door for too long?

let's stop waiting for a ghost ship to come in and all start rowing instead. i have a veer and Pre2 avail for testing if i can help at all.
    Rnp and geekpeter like this.
    It's required if you want to run android kernel without computer.(you can use moboot for veer instead).

Scripts files.sh and gapps.sh are supposed to run on computer(for speeding up) and then just copy resulted files to phone.

Thanks, i will edit post.
    Ah OK thanks for clarification, I was running these on device and it was a bit slow indeed.

This would only work for *nix users (or using VirtualBox/cygwin I guess). I use Windows most of the time, hence I did it on-device. I'm happy to rewrite the installation instructions so they're more clear if needed
  9.    #29  
    This would only work for *nix users.
    Yes, i just don't know how to use ext3 filesystem and mount command on Windows.
    I'm happy to rewrite the installation instructions so they're more clear if needed
    Yes, i see that it's necessary. Probably it's very hard to correctly understand what i wrote.
    Yes, i just don't know how to use ext3 filesystem and mount command on Windows.

Yes, i see that it's necessary. Probably it's very hard to correctly understand what i wrote.
    It's OK, I managed to get things done more or less Just some small clarifications might help I'll try and see if I can rewrite it a bit so it's clearer I'll contact you by PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    this is impressive.

one motivated person is accomplishing more alone, than a company which had already solicited pre sales cash.

is there any way this community can pitch in to make this REALLY work WELL, and finally slam the door on the phony salesman *cough*acl*cough* that's had his virtual foot in our door for too long?

let's stop waiting for a ghost ship to come in and all start rowing instead. i have a veer and Pre2 avail for testing if i can help at all.
    There is a donation link in the first post:
    (Pre3) AndroidChroot - run android inside webOS

I assume this could work on Open webOS / Ports, so perhaps a device with more memory or a card slot would work even better. I find it odd that most Pre3s had 8Gb when the Pre2 had 16.

Oh, and I guess this technique (might be a lot of work) could work on the TP with 32 or even 64Gb...?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/12/2014 at 10:24 AM.
    ananimus likes this.
    NIN_ru: nice work i not test it, because me Pre3 have broken glass and after big rain is still moist, but i try revive it, sometime again work but only for some hour

Herrie: thx for changes in bootr-nofob, merged also i now added gfx files for Veer to github, but i don't have Veer... can you please test it ? and maybe is need add in bootr.sh/pong_fb() for SDV line for correcting FB pong
    NIN_ru likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k3dar View Post
    NIN_ru: nice work i not test it, because me Pre3 have broken glass and after big rain is still moist, but i try revive it, sometime again work but only for some hour

Herrie: thx for changes in bootr-nofob, merged also i now added gfx files for Veer to github, but i don't have Veer... can you please test it ? and maybe is need add in bootr.sh/pong_fb() for SDV line for correcting FB pong
    Thanks! Will test it when home! Out of curiosity, how do you edit the GFX files? I saw I could unzip them, but then I didn't know how to proceed
    Thanks! Will test it when home! Out of curiosity, how do you edit the GFX files? I saw I could unzip them, but then I didn't know how to proceed
    Looks like it works
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ananimus and eKeith like this.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    This is just fraking glorious!!!
    Great work NIN_ru!
    And Great follow-up work guys!
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    There is a donation link in the first post:
    (Pre3) AndroidChroot - run android inside webOS

I assume this could work on Open webOS / Ports, so perhaps a device with more memory or a card slot would work even better. I find it odd that most Pre3s had 8Gb when the Pre2 had 16.

Oh, and I guess this technique (might be a lot of work) could work on the TP with 32 or even 64Gb...?
    It's the RAM and not the storage that's the memory issue as I understand it. Slow because it (smartly) runs in swap (storage) so that it doesn't collapse the Pre 3.

Interesting if folks can help make this run in dual boot mode instead though. That is, resident in physical memory and safely separate from webOS, a la Touchpad or the old Pre project.

For the Touchpad, dual boot's of course solved. But iirc, TP and Pre 3 have similar architecture? So maybe some of the chroot effort can be copied there too for a card version?

Anyway, I'll just put some money in the bucket and leave the coding to the experts.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    *cough* Pre 2*cough*
    OK, I was totally wrong about veer.
    If you have unnecessary veer and want to try AndroidChroot, then follow the instruction, just with these files:
    I will see pre2 sources later(maybe tomorrow).
    I have a small stack of spare Pre2's, and would like to keep my spare fresh-in-its-box Pre3 for future use.
    So once you have the Pre2 stuff, I will be sure to test !
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    How much storage is required to install AndroidChroot?
    There is only 900MB left on my Pre3.
  19.    #39  
    For the Touchpad, dual boot's of course solved. But iirc, TP and Pre 3 have similar architecture? So maybe some of the chroot effort can be copied there too for a card version?
    I think it will be possible.
    I have a small stack of spare Pre2's, and would like to keep my spare fresh-in-its-box Pre3 for future use.
    So once you have the Pre2 stuff, I will be sure to test !
    I've tried pre2 sources, but it seems that its kernel is old and sources doesn't have android patch.

k3dar: Thanks for your work too. Bootr-nofob and your video with android on pre3 attempt were very inspiring. Maybe you know what to do with pre2 kernel, as in Android on palm pre2, I success. just pre kernel is used.
    How much storage is required to install AndroidChroot?
    1.6GB, by default.
    Not sure how much work would be involved, but I have occasionally wondered if it would be possible to start with a patched kernel for one of our devices, and then move those kernels up in version until something breaks.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast