Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I've stuck loyally with WebOS on my TP, and really I'm still very happy with it. I always figured I'd add Android dual-boot if I ever had a need for it, and now I do: I want to use the TP with my Chromecast.

Obviously I'm coming late to this party, and while there are lots of instructions around on how to install Android on TP, it's hard to figure out what's the most up-to-date version. I don't want to follow some out-of-date instructions and install an antique version, nor do I want to inadvertently become part of the bleeding edge with the very latest flaky experimental build.

From what I've read, it seems like there isn't one preferred version. More like there's a lot of different versions with slightly different pros and cons. I'd like it if all the TP hardware worked, and I'd like to have all the latest and greatest Android features, but if it comes down to a trade-off I'd rather start out with something more stable and usable. Most people seem to be installing the later versions as updates to an earlier Android install, so I'm not even sure which versions are ok for a first-time install.

So my basic question is: For someone like me, installing Android for the first time on a clean WebOS 3.05 TP, what version of Android should I install? CM9? CM10? CM10.1? Something else? A recommended link would be appreciated.

What sort of backup should be done on WebOS before installing Android? (just in case)
    Last edited by Semma2; 11/04/2013 at 12:10 PM.
    MartinH@webos and dweiums like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I've stuck loyally with WebOS on my TP, and really I'm still very happy with it. I always figured I'd add Android dual-boot if I ever had a need for it, and now I do: I want to use the TP with my Chromecast.

Obviously I'm coming late to this party, and while there are lots of instructions around on how to install Android on TP, it's hard to figure out what's the most up-to-date version. I don't want to follow some out-of-date instructions and install an antique version, nor do I want to inadvertently become part of the bleeding edge with the very latest flaky experimental build.

From what I've read, it seems like there isn't one preferred version. More like there's a lot of different versions with slightly different pros and cons. I'd like it if all the TP hardware worked, and I'd like to have all the late t and greatest Android features, but if it comes down to a trade-off I'd rather start out with something more stable and usable. Most people seem to be installing the later versions as updates to an earlier Android install, so I'm not even sure which versions are ok for a first-time install.

So my basic question is: For someone like me, installing Android for the first time on a clean WebOS 3.05 TP, what version of Android should I install? CM9? CM10? CM10.1? Something else? A recommended link would be appreciated.

What sort of backup should be done on WebOS before installing Android? (just in case)
    I use CM9, works well, once CM10 is stable enough I would move to that, but have not heard if everything works 100% yet..

Download CM9 from here:

CyanogenMod Downloads

Download GAPPS for CM7/9/10 from here:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps

Here is the Mirror Link (Direct Link did not work for me) for GAPPS for CM9:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=22979706399755108

Seems ACMEINSTALLER3 and MOBOOT 0.3.8 are no longer hosted on goo.im?

Older version of Moboot 0.3.5 here:

http://moboot.googlecode.com/files/moboot_0.3.5.zip

Need those to install CM9, Google for those parts?

FYI Assume anything that go wrong will go wrong and backup your device (I recommend using Rod's Make file backup procedure), I had CM7 (installed via ACMEINSTALLER2, which caused issues, so I had to backup CM7, use ACMEUNINSTALLER, reinstall CM7 via ACMEINSTALLER3, then restore my backup of CM7, then upgrade to nightly CM9, been there for a while. I did not have any issues with webOS, but YMMV.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 11/04/2013 at 07:47 PM.
    I have CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and it does everything I could want. CM10 sounds tempting, but I'll admit to not knowing how to upgrade.

I know my CM9 has flash, and that it is not part of stock Jelly Bean. Camera is funky on my CM9 build, but who uses the camera on a tablet anyway? Skype kinda works because of this. I can IM over all the carriers, play poker, NETFLIX, have weather, watch my fios, remote control my roku, etc, etc, etc. You are right for wanting to install a useful, but less intuitive OS on your hardware. Biggest issue is you will occasionally run into an app that doesn't like the fact that the tablet is rooted (part of this who process) and/or doesn't like that it can't really id the hardware. I tried to get speed tv app to work, but it never would...
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    HP TouchPad gets unofficial Android 4.2 update with working Bluetooth - Liliputing

Take a look at that.... it'll get you closer to the current... thing is Android 4.2.2 Jelly bean can and does run on it, with camera and bluetooth now.

(refers to article, that has been kept up to date: How to install Android 4.0 or later on the HP TouchPad (CyanogenMod) - Liliputing)

Bluetooth and camera took the longest... so you aren't really that late to the party.

Make sure you have the newest Webos (3.0.5) BEFORE you do this tho.... I did it all on 3.0.4, then webos updated one night and I was stuck with hp logo boot looping till the battery died..... There is a way out of that, but it was an act of love to get it back -- and if you have no experiencing flashing android it takes a bit more time to get there.

The basic outline is below, but refer to the links above for all the details. If what is below sounds like a foreign language to you, find some forums or friends that are good at android flashing.... and following directions...

1. Make sure Java is installed on your computer.
    2. Install Palm Novacom driver
    3. Downoad ACMEINstaller 3, Moboot, ClockworkMod and optionally gApps
    4. Place ACMEInstaller 3 in the same directory as your Novacom files
    5. Connect your HP TouchPad to your computer and enable USB mass storage mode
    6. Copy remaining files to your TouchPad
    7. Reboot your TouchPad
    8. Press and hold the volume button
    9. Open a command terminal and navigate to the Novacom directory
    10. Run ACMEInstaller 3
    11. (Optional) Install additional packages
    eve160450 likes this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Ok, so at least the procedure seems to have remained pretty consistent from the descriptions I've read and watched on Youtube.

Unfortunately most of the file download links seem to go to goo.im, which returns File Not Found for almost all of them.

I found this link: [ROM GUIDE] How to install Android 4.2 and 4.3 Builds on the HP TouchPad - xda-developers

which suggests one of these packages:

CyanogenMod Installation Package Downloads:

A] CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean (CM10-2013/10/19)cminstall package Download:
    Note! This one folder now contains all 4.zips files needed to install Android!

(this one I downloaded, and it has the following 4 files:
    moboot_0.3.5.zip
    update-cm-10-20130418-EXPERIMENTAL-tenderloin-FOR_LIMITED_TESTING_ONLY_CAM.zip
    update-CWM6_tenderloin-20121215.zip
    update-gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip)

B] CyanogenMod 10.1 Jelly Bean (CM10.1-20130808)cminstall package Download:
    Note: Partial Bluetooth Support, use CM9/10 for full support (Test Build)

C] CyanogenMod 9 Ice Cream Sandwich (CM9-2013/07/14)cminstall package Download:

D] CyanogenMod 7 Gingerbread (CM7Alpha3.5) cminstall package Download:

I'm guessing that the first one is a more stable version of CM10, and the 2nd one is the one referred to by gfdos.sys that has Bluetooth support?

Do I need that ClockworkMod thing too?
    Last edited by Semma2; 11/05/2013 at 01:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Download GAPPS for CM9 from here:

Gapps - CyanogenMod
    Wow, that page does not make it easy to figure out what to download for TP!
    Wow, that page does not make it easy to figure out what to download for TP!
    Sorry updated post with direct link...
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I have used CM7,9, and 10. I am still using webOS over those for now.

The only thing I missed from CM7 was playing Worms on it. It would bug out in higher versions.

CM10 is nice than 9 but less stable. I have installed 10 and never reverted back.

I thought ACL would make things nicer in webOS for apps, but it really has not panned out how I expected it.

I stayed with webOS due to the fact I could run multiple PDF files and run my D&D game from the tablet, but now there is a new PDF app in android called iAnnotate that does multiple PDF as tabs.

So It looks like I will be moving no now from webOS. It sucks because it is still a far better OS than Android of iOS, but if the functionality cannot keep up with the changing world.

My main device now is my Moto X. I may jump to a tablet version of it if Motorola ever makes one like the Moto X or get a Surface 2 tablet and ditch my laptop as well.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    So it seems like ClockworkMod is an optional addition to the Android install that lets you later boot into a Recovery Mode where you can easily back/resttore/update your Android installation from the device menu. Is that right? Can anyone confirm that?
    So it seems like ClockworkMod is an optional addition to the Android install that lets you later boot into a Recovery Mode where you can easily back/resttore/update your Android installation from the device menu. Is that right? Can anyone confirm that?
    As part of the CM9 (at least the version I am on), includes CWM5.x as part of the OS (how it does nightly updates, although I would say we are now monthly updates now?), however, if you install the additional CWM you can have it as a boot option as part of Moboot...
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Okay..... let me boil it down a little for you from what I've learned (self taught here)

the Touchpad boots from a file called webos.img

The path to Android on our devices, replaces the default booting to webos.img, and uses moboot as a menu that then will boot to different .img files.

Webos
    Android
    clockwork mod or TWRP (recovery modes for android)

ACMEInstaller, basically gets android to work on our device by taking part of the internal (virtual SD) storage on the touchpad and creates a "filesystem" for android files to be stored in, and even mounts the same internal storage inside android, so you can save files from webos or android into the "internal" storage and see it from either.

by running either clockwork mod recovery, or TWRP(team win recovery) you can make backups of your android install, and/or install different updates (or Roms) to the "filesystem" that was setup by ACMEInstaller.
    Clockwork mod and TWRP are recovery programs and are android tools -- they are here because our device is running a copy of android similar to how android only devices do -- its all done with partitioning..... and in a way similar to running linux and windows from the same pc.

The "limitation" here is only one version of android at a time -- devs who were working on this contemplated making it possible to run say CM7 and CM9 at the same time, but it got complicated, and basically left it at one version of android at a time -- less complexity -- less chance of messing up your precious touchpad.....
    There where times when the newer versions of android were not yet stable.... now CM10.1 (Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2) runs well on touchpad, so there is really not a reason not to run that.... in the early days there were some things that wouldn't work .... like for example: camera, bluetooth, wifi, etc... and you had to choose -- stay in older version of android where more things work, or push forward just because you can.

Like i said earlier, you may feel late to the party, but you don't have to worry about those sort of decisions for now.... we will see if the super cool devs decide to try and bring Android 4.4 Kit Kat to the touchpad, there may be some of that while they work out the bugs.

Sorry if the above was too much/or not technical enough.... just trying to convey 2 years of trial and error playing with all this without getting super geeky.

All of that being said.... To answer your question, Clockwork Mod (or TWRP) is an optional recovery, but WHY you really need and want it is because once you have used ACMEInstaller 3 to get android on to your touchpad you can use Clockwork Mod (or TWRP) to backup, and upgrade the version of android on your device when a new version comes out, the same way as on any other android device.... you don't need to use ACMEInstaller again, you don't have to do it over a cable. You can download the updated rom, and go into recovery mode, MAKE A BACKUP.....THIS IS IMPORTANT -- this way if the update fails you can go back to your previous working android, then install the new version.
    Last edited by gfdos.sys; 11/05/2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfdos.sys View Post
    now CM10.1 (Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2) runs well on touchpad, so there is really not a reason not to run that.... in the early days there were some things that wouldn't work .... like for example: camera, bluetooth, wifi, etc... and you had to choose
    Thanks!
    Is there any list / documentation of items that do not work on TP with CM10.1?
    Is this list longer or similar to what is not working on TP with CM9?

Thanks, Martin - still running latest and greatest HP webOS 3.0.5 (with some lunaCE suggar).
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Thanks!
    Is there any list / documentation of items that do not work on TP with CM10.1?
    Is this list longer or similar to what is not working on TP with CM9?

Thanks, Martin - still running latest and greatest HP webOS 3.0.5 (with some lunaCE suggar).
    Sorry, there are no lists of limitations. A list means a lot of work. There is no wiki for it.
    And. CM9 is official support by CyanogenMod on their Page, but CM10.x is only unofficial available.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Thanks gfdos.sys, that helps clarify things when put together with all the other stuff I'm reading. That's a good overview.

So the file "update-CWM6_tenderloin-20121215.zip" in the package I listed above is probably ClockWorkMod 6, right?

So does anybody have an actual functiong link to the latest stable version of 10.1 that has all of the latest hardware fixes working?

How important is it to have the version of Google Apps corresponding to the CM version I install?
    So the file "update-CWM6_tenderloin-20121215.zip" in the package I listed above is probably ClockWorkMod 6, right?
    Yes, correct.

I can't provide you with a suggestion for or link to a version to pick, but I'd like to recommend RolandDeschain79's youtube channel to you (and anybody who is new to the whole Android on Touchpad thing). He's making great videos about installing Android on the Touchpad. You may want to check some of his older videos first as he covers many different things and doesn't show the basics over and over again in every video. But his descriptions are very, very clear and were very helpful to me. He also provides links to his threads at xda-delveopers where you can find all descriptions in a written form aswell.

I installed Android a year ago first time, wasn't interested in it for very long and only recently updated to a newer version. I went ahead and installed one of the latest Evervolve (Android 4.3) versions a few weeks ago based on one of RolandDeschain79's videos. While the version I have is very stable, there seem to be problems in the latest versions (haven't bothered updating yet), so I can't really recommend it atm. Also bluetooth isn't working yet. What I do want to recommend doing though is going 10/10.x straight away. It's way better than CM9 imho.

Btw, using ClockWorkMod you can very easily make complete backups of your Android installations (including settings, apps and so on). So don't be afraid to pick a 'wrong' version of Android and having a hard time correcting that error. Just go ahead and try a few different 10/10.x builds. Make a backup between removing / installing and if some version isn't what you expected, just restore one that worked better for you. It's really convenient. (It's also all covered in RolandDeschain79's youtube channel).

What I always missed in Android was gestures. Having to constantly aim for one of the three buttons annoyed really annoyed me. But I found a nice app that helps create webOS gesture feeling in Android. It's called 'GMD Gesture Control'. You'll need the paid version though to create your own gestures. I set it up to have gestures for the 'recent apps list', home, and even a gesture to swipe back! Always missed that in webOS on the touchpad. Obviously, you have to be a bit imaginative as there's no real gesture area on the tp and gesture detection is not quite as snappy as in webOS, but it definately makes Android way more userfriendly in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    It's getting clearer all the time, thanks to the valuable posts here. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Still researching...

So the hardware support issues to watch for in the different versions of CM are:

- sound (essential, but seems to be solved and stable in all current releases?)

- microphone (supported in most recent releases, but may still be an issue in some?)

- camera (supported in some recent releases, but there are still issues with some apps?)

- hardware accelerated video (supported in some recent releases, but not entirely stable?)

- internal gyroscope (supported in a few recent releases?)

- Bluetooth (working in CM9 and CM10, not in CM10.1 or CM10.2, was one experimental 10.1build with Bluetooth, but hasn't been updated since August)

- Battery issues: many CM versions have suffered from accelerated battery drain, putting the TP in danger of running out of power and bricking.

Any corrections? Anything else?

Wow, it's hard to find a decent build! There are many different builds with different pros and cons, and most of the links are outdated and/or broken. There doesn't seem to be one solid source that's maintained up to date. Even the official Cyanogenmod forums and posts contain confusing and outdated information and broken links. Update: The one I think I'm going with is listed in my post below.

As for gapps, there seems to both Full and Light versions floating around (Light = fewer apps?). From what I've read it sounds like there was a major change between Android 4.2 and 4.3, so if you install 4.3 (CM10.2), you need new gapps.
    Last edited by Semma2; 11/06/2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    All of those were problems at some time....

The only 2 you may still see in newer rom builds are the camera, and bluetooth not working.

This is because the fixes are specific to our device and "relatively recent" fixes.... in terms of the touchpad "relatively recent" means within the last 6 months.

I tend to stick personally with the jcscullins releases, as they tend to be the most stable in my experience, but as we discussed earlier, there is nothing wrong with backing that up ("nandroid backup") with clockwork mod or TWRP and then trying some of the other roms that are out there -- I recommend looking for ones that have android 4.2.2 (CM10.1) at the minimum if you want a likely hood that the camera and bluetooth fixes may be in there.

Other than than the CM7 stuff was very stable..... the CM9 development halted a bit as people started to focus on CM10, and I never looked back to see if everything was ever resolved in CM9.... so for me its either CM7 or CM10.1..... and CM7 seems so dated now.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I'm thinking of going with this one: cm-10-20131019-UNOFFICIAL-tenderloin , which is CM10 with all the known fixes as of Oct. 19. See this thread: [ROM GUIDE] How to install Jcsullins CM10/CM10.1 Unofficial Builds Edited 10/26/13 - Page 338 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki .

I already have Palm Novacom installed for use with WebOSQuckInstall, so the complete file set I need for installation will be:

ACMEInstaller3: http://fs1.d-h.st/download/00033/eFr/ACMEInstaller3 (or from inside http://d-h.st/wIR)
    moboot 0.3.5: moboot_0.3.5.zip (from inside http://d-h.st/wIR)
    Clockworkmod 6: update-CWM6_tenderloin-20121215.zip (from inside http://d-h.st/wIR)
    Cyanogen CM10 (Android 4.1.1) 2013-10-19 with all fixes: cm-10-20131019-UNOFFICIAL-tenderloin
    gapps for CM10: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip (or from inside http://d-h.st/wIR)

I'd like to go straight to CM10.1 (Android 4.2) or CM10.2 (Android 4.3), but all the builds seem to be experimental and missing some items (like Bluetooth).

My only concern is that I hope I will be able to load the latest Chromecast-enabled apps on Android 4.1 (going back to my original purpose in post #1).
    Last edited by Semma2; 11/07/2013 at 09:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    A few more questions:

1. From what I've read it seems like there isn't any way to do a full backup/restore of a working WebOS system. The HP cloud Backup saves and restore some things like the official apps (but not the app data). The Preware Save/Restore utility can save a few other things. Beyond that, the advice seems to be to write down your settings and take screen snapshots to remember what apps you had (good grief!). Does anyone know of a better way?

2. Does the TP need to have Developer Mode enabled before starting the Android install? Some sources say to do this, others don't mention it.

3. Does the CM10 file need to have a specific name format in order for the installer to recognize it? Some sources have suggested that renaming is necessary in some cases, but again it's not clear.
    A few more questions:

1. From what I've read it seems like there isn't any way to do a full backup/restore of a working WebOS system. The HP cloud Backup saves and restore some things like the official apps (but not the app data). The Preware Save/Restore utility can save a few other things. Beyond that, the advice seems to be to write down your settings and take screen snapshots to remember what apps you had (good grief!). Does anyone know of a better way?

2. Does the TP need to have Developer Mode enabled before starting the Android install? Some sources say to do this, others don't mention it.

3. Does the CM10 file need to have a specific name format in order for the installer to recognize it? Some sources have suggested that renaming is necessary in some cases, but again it's not clear.
    Once of the best Rod's meta doctor application has a full backup option, will back up the entire webOS partitions... (YMMV)

No you do not have to have the device in developer mode.

I recall you must have an update- in front of the name?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast