Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mattmers
  1.    #1  
    wanted to upgrade WebOS to android last night. used "install CM the easy way tutorial" from link. that's when the nightmare begins.

[ROM GUIDE] How to install Android 4.2 and 4.3 Builds on the HP TouchPad Edited 10/7/13 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

PREFACE
    before the install i had uberkernel and WebOS 3.05 running.

INSTALLING CM10
    downloaded files and followed instructions in the link. got the double penguin screen and text started scrolling. then it stops and i get this message:

unable to resize filesystem, resizefat failed. aborting! please reboot (see attached pic)

i did the power/home button reset and tried again. was able to get back into webos. now there's an issue with novacom where it doesn't see the touchpad.

UNINSTALLING CM10
    i wiped the touchpad using the webos full erase option. after maybe 10 attempts (due to device not connected error) i was able to get the ACMEUninstaller to work (no idea how, just kept hammering the same cmd line) and a whole bunch of lines scrolled (wasn't able to tell what it was doing because the lines scrolled way too fast) and then the TP got reset.

REINSTALLING CM10
    then i tried ACMEInstaller3 again and it still doesn't recognize (TP is in safety restart mode, with the giant USB logo after holding down the volume up key). then maybe after 11 tries, it goes through (i think) but instead of the double penguin screen, it just shows the hp logo and gets stuck there. DEVMODE is on the entire time and the folder cminstall is in the root TP folder.

GAVE UP - TRIED TO GO BACK TO UBERKERNAL WEBOS
    tried to install preware again and go back to what i had. problem is, webosquickinstaller 4.5 is telling me it can't detect the touchpad. after clicking retry several times, a screen comes on in the app asking for devmode password. i never set one on the TP and after just hitting ok with an empty password field, it tells me it can't access novacom because of wrong password or the TP isn't connected. LOL. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling novacom several times (using the version on that tutorial page and from the webosquickinstaller program). i also did the same thing for java. i'm on win 7 64bit. no dice.

now it's back to webos 3.05 with no preware. i can transfer files normally using the normal usb mode, so it's not the cable or usb port. i tried webos doctor that came in the novacom zip i got from the tutorial site, but the reset fails...

what is going on???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have no clue about what is going on with your touchpad.
    What I would do if I were you is to run webOS doctor. Start the doctor on your pc and then connect the touchpad at the proper time (you have to put touchpad webOS into the safety USB mode which has that big white USB icon on the front of the touchpad and then connect it).

Once you've got webOS completely re-installed, you can go into devmode and get preware like you did before. Then look for a webos app called Tailor in Preware. Tailor has a thread on webos nation that you can google to see what it does and how to use it and you can ask questions from experts. For a simple answer--it helps you see what happened when you resized your partitions and will help you recover back to the starting point.
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals

Here you will find info and links on how to properly recover your device.
    Also, once you do have preware reinstalled, it would not hurt to install the 'remove android' package from preware then check with Tailor to reclaim the partition space.

At that juncture, you would be safe to try android install again.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  4.    #4  
    i didn't manually resize any partitions. as far as i know, you don't have to manually do that to install CM10 right?

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I have no clue about what is going on with your touchpad.
    What I would do if I were you is to run webOS doctor. Start the doctor on your pc and then connect the touchpad at the proper time (you have to put touchpad webOS into the safety USB mode which has that big white USB icon on the front of the touchpad and then connect it).

Once you've got webOS completely re-installed, you can go into devmode and get preware like you did before. Then look for a webos app called Tailor in Preware. Tailor has a thread on webos nation that you can google to see what it does and how to use it and you can ask questions from experts. For a simple answer--it helps you see what happened when you resized your partitions and will help you recover back to the starting point.
    Yes the program you ran to install CM10 has to resize the partitions to make room for itself. In your first post, you said the error message was:
    "unable to resize filesystem, resizefat failed. aborting! please reboot (see attached pic) "
    probably the webos side of things was too full? the CM installer neds to chop down your webOS partition size to make room for 2-3 android partitions. (System/Data and Cache i think) my first guess is that you just ran out of free space and it all went pear shaped from then on.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  7.    #7  
    thanks for all the help guys. not sure what it was. i used my laptop the second time and webos doctor worked. was able to install preware again. BUT couldn't execute ACMEInstaller3. so i switched back to my desktop and things installed. so weird.

android is amazing! everything moves so much faster...especially web browsing. i downloaded adobe flash player for android 4.0 and using boat browser to watch streaming video that requires flash. is this the best way about it?
    weird, at least it works now. for browsing use whatever works best for you, if you have any issues viewing flash stuff remember even tho android is 1 version ahead of webOS 11.x instead of 10.x, there are no more mobile updates to flash only for desktops so even an android browser may not view some stuff until the day (if ever) more sites use html5 over flash.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by vassilixxx View Post
    wanted to upgrade WebOS to android last night. used "install CM the easy way tutorial" from link. that's when the nightmare begins.
    Upgrade? Thats quite a claim.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Grabber5.0, Mutoidi and renater like this.
    thanks for all the help guys. not sure what it was. i used my laptop the second time and webos doctor worked. was able to install preware again. BUT couldn't execute ACMEInstaller3. so i switched back to my desktop and things installed. so weird.

android is amazing! everything moves so much faster...especially web browsing. i downloaded adobe flash player for android 4.0 and using boat browser to watch streaming video that requires flash. is this the best way about it?
    Don't mean to bust your bubble, but CM10 is far from amazing. Its acceptable, given the situation. If CM10 is running faster than your webOS install, something is totally borked on your TouchPad. That being said, flash on CM is horribly buggy since Adobe stop supporting it. Running flash accounted for almost all of my browser crashes on Android. Flash on Android also has weird artifacts in the videos and sometimes won't go to full screen correctly. If you want to view flash, webOS is more stable. Absolutely zero crashes running flash for me in webOS. If you continue to use Android your best bet is to uninstall flash and set your browser's user agent to iPad. That will force sites to use HTML5, which is a lot more stable (do not as capable yet) than flash in Android.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities