webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Pre 3 Android Port
Pre 3 Android Port
Like Tree21Likes

Old 01/26/2013, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am not a highly skilled developer but i hope to be well known for my efforts on porting android to our pre3's.
Since the touchpad and pre 3 have the same boot loader it should be easy to get android. The touchpad has a dual boot system set up through moboot 0.35. We could put the pre3 into a recovery mode and use novacom drivers to communicate with it. We have a pretty good chance of porting android to pre3 if we all can keep this thread alive and help out a bit with some things. The drivers aren't the main problem we get some help from the devs working on rooms for the sony arc s.

Work for all the DEVS:
- Work on finding some way to load moboot and cwm on to the pre3
-Get all the drivers together
-get us all the kernels required

Work for everyone who is not a dev:
-donate generously to the devs
-support this project
-Keep this thread alive by replying
-Use your old pre 3 to test some stuff for us

REMEMBER that if we all work together in these tasks we have a high chance of getting an android port.
palmpreandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmpreandroid View Post
I am not a highly skilled developer but i hope to be well known for my efforts on porting android to our pre3's.
Since the touchpad and pre 3 have the same boot loader it should be easy to get android. The touchpad has a dual boot system set up through moboot 0.35. We could put the pre3 into a recovery mode and use novacom drivers to communicate with it. We have a pretty good chance of porting android to pre3 if we all can keep this thread alive and help out a bit with some things. The drivers aren't the main problem we get some help from the devs working on rooms for the sony arc s.

Work for all the DEVS:
- Work on finding some way to load moboot and cwm on to the pre3
-Get all the drivers together
-get us all the kernels required

Work for everyone who is not a dev:
-donate generously to the devs
-support this project
-Keep this thread alive by replying
-Use your old pre 3 to test some stuff for us

REMEMBER that if we all work together in these tasks we have a high chance of getting an android port.
Thanks - il'll do my best!
flutterkup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well we all have cm9 on our touchpads and we all know how to use acme installer and novacom so I think that if someone uses the same instructions to get cm7 in touchpad but don’t go any further than installing cwm. Do this at your own risk. It is unlikely something is screwed up but just in case if you brick it just doctor it . But REMEMBER do this at your own risk.
Old 01/26/2013, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

So you're going to be the Guinea pig and tell us how it works out for you? Is that what I'm hearing?
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

<thread moved>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

this is already happening on YouTube

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/27/2013 at 04:21 AM. Reason: removed dead link
sadyalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadyalberto View Post
this is already happening on YouTube
Can you please post the link to the video? I want to see how far the progress is.
Old 01/27/2013, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

In case you are talking about that video where a DEV was running cm7 in chroid, that is not what i am trying to accomplish. He was running the OS in an application. I am trying to get us an entire OS installed through some flashable recovery.
Old 01/27/2013, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

So before we start to work on drivers, I will research a bit and see if i can find some way to load CWM or TWRP recovery onto the phone. We dont need drivers right now cause we can get some help from the DEVs making ROMs for the experira arc s from sony. The ARC S has the samse cpu\gpu\amount of ram so they can help.
Old 01/27/2013, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think i know how we can get CWM. if we were already on a rooted android phone we would go to the ROM manager app and install CWM so, maybe we can install ACL (that app that lets you run APK's on webos)inwebos and then find the ROM manager .APK and run it and install CWM and get started on the ROM itself.
Old 01/27/2013, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

there are about 350 views but only about 10 post to this thread. Keep replying posting and telling others we need this to get some views from the good DEVs.
Old 01/27/2013, 10:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

you should probably close this thread and instead use 1 of the many android<>pre3 threads out there already, talk of needing a "rooted" phone or acl are pretty defunct as the pre3 doesnt need any of those things and doesnt rely on any android related homebrew prerequisites.

The pre3 is just as open as the touchpad, the main reason the pre3 doesnt have a handy cyanogen/android port already just like the touchpad is because the touchpad had "native" android devices in the wild which likely got aquired by android tech heads who did their magic and got all the device/driver related information they needed.

Unfortunatly the pre3 has no such shortcuts to aquire as there are/were no android variants to disassemble so just like the "normal" touchpads everything is closed source propriety and its that much harder for anything to be produced for the pre3.

You need more than just a similar set of drivers robbed from other devices, theres far more to ports than just comparing the cpu types of 2 devices and assuming bits from 1 will work on another. Thats like saying an old Amiga500, a Sega megadrive and some old Mac's could "easily" port each others native OS just because they all had the exact same motorola 680x0 chipsets. Unfortunatly theres vastly more work required than that.
Old 01/27/2013, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Don't let some one telling you how hard something might be keep you from doing it palmpreandroid.

You've got lots of supporters, myself included.
edxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
Don't let some one telling you how hard something might be keep you from doing it palmpreandroid.

You've got lots of supporters, myself included.
sorry to sound "mean" or the likes but his intent is all fine and such but so far it sounds liek he only has a rudimentary plan, then his later posts spiral into needing the "never going to happen" ACL to "root" the pre3 (which isnt required), standard android methods to flash a cwm bootloader isnt whats required or even the main problem.

installing cwm probably isnt even the hardest thing to do, and anyone out there with even a little more knowledge than my pathetic small understanding, correct me if im wrong here but im guessing its still an issue of closed source drivers for the pre3 and only this issue is the reason why there was not a cm7/9/10 for the pre3 released along with the touchpad.

there are numerous threads on the xda developers site (since 2011) regarding the pre3 and android and none of them have come to fruition, likely down to the driver issue, the pre3 just didnt get the lucky break the touchpad had with having a native android hardware release in the wild to dissect.
Old 01/27/2013, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
you should probably close this thread and instead use 1 of the many android<>pre3 threads out there already, talk of needing a "rooted" phone or acl are pretty defunct as the pre3 doesnt need any of those things and doesnt rely on any android related homebrew prerequisites.

The pre3 is just as open as the touchpad, the main reason the pre3 doesnt have a handy cyanogen/android port already just like the touchpad is because the touchpad had "native" android devices in the wild which likely got aquired by android tech heads who did their magic and got all the device/driver related information they needed.

Unfortunatly the pre3 has no such shortcuts to aquire as there are/were no android variants to disassemble so just like the "normal" touchpads everything is closed source propriety and its that much harder for anything to be produced for the pre3.

You need more than just a similar set of drivers robbed from other devices, theres far more to ports than just comparing the cpu types of 2 devices and assuming bits from 1 will work on another. Thats like saying an old Amiga500, a Sega megadrive and some old Mac's could "easily" port each others native OS just because they all had the exact same motorola 680x0 chipsets. Unfortunatly theres vastly more work required than that.
Well, i am not saying it will be easy and i understand that just cause it has the same chipset it will work. I am trying to say that we need to keep this thread alive and get some more devs to help. It is not only the devs that will help everyone can help in one way or another. I am just saying that instead of everyone in a race to see who can get android fastest with the best ROM. I just want everyone to help with this project. BECAUSE IF WE ALL WORK TOGETHER IT WILL BE EASIER!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01/27/2013, 11:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
sorry to sound "mean" or the likes but his intent is all fine and such but so far it sounds liek he only has a rudimentary plan, then his later posts spiral into needing the "never going to happen" ACL to "root" the pre3 (which isnt required), standard android methods to flash a cwm bootloader isnt whats required or even the main problem.

installing cwm probably isnt even the hardest thing to do, and anyone out there with even a little more knowledge than my pathetic small understanding, correct me if im wrong here but im guessing its still an issue of closed source drivers for the pre3 and only this issue is the reason why there was not a cm7/9/10 for the pre3 released along with the touchpad.

there are numerous threads on the xda developers site (since 2011) regarding the pre3 and android and none of them have come to fruition, likely down to the driver issue, the pre3 just didnt get the lucky break the touchpad had with having a native android hardware release in the wild to dissect.
I know that CWM isn't the hardest thing to do. I just think that we should find a way to flash .zip's before we make the actual ROM. because what if we make the ROM only to find out that there is no way to flash it.
All the others could find some drivers and could get some DEV's to help code the rest it is just that you said there are numerous threads on XDA but the reason none of those projects were successful is because they did not work together.

WE MUST PROCEED TOGETHER IN OUR WORK IF WE WANT TO BE SUCCESSFUL
Old 01/27/2013, 11:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

If they can run webos on android devices than we can run android on a webos device
Old 01/27/2013, 11:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

There was a chinese DEV who worked on getting android on the pre- . I will try to get in touch with him and see if he can help with this project.
Old 01/27/2013, 12:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmpreandroid View Post
If they can run webos on android devices than we can run android on a webos device
those android devices were specifically chosen for their openness and ease of porting too, and yes android can run on a webos device, but only the touchpad has had success, mostly again because there were manufacturer touchpad devices with their own versions of android pre-installed that leaked out.
Old 01/27/2013, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

To all the DEV's working on this project or who would like to work on this project:
We have two options:
-Start from scratch by using the AOSP
-Modify the ARC S ROM and get drivers(most important touchscreen)

Tags
android, porting, pre 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0