Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN_ru View Post
    Yes, before development of android I've tried moboot - it even could boot to menu, boot himself from menu, but couldn't boot webos kernel. Then I saw bootr and stoped to use moboot. I've also tried NFS, but unsuccesfully(I failed to configure it, because after some experiments pre3 didn't want to see my network,even wifi - I had to doctor it).
    NFS using this method? Palm Pre:NFS-Root - freesmartphone.org
    I was able to get this NFS over USBnet to work easily. But it was pretty boring since I didn't have a good image to boot.

Yes, I used basic guide. I want to warn that in order to compile all you have to add new device,compile whole android(for a very long time), compile custom kernel that support android, modify init.rc to boot from pre3 memory. If you still want to do it, I will post instructions, but I think it's better to use prebuilt image and concentrate on touchscreen.
    Okay, thank you. Yes, I saw it takes a lot to compile. Unfortunately that's why I currently stopped. My old Linux box didn't have enough storage left to do a full compile. I have hesitated to add a new Linux partition to my new computer. Lazy of me!

If you can post your init.rc changes, that would be welcome.

I recommend to start from this touchpad driver:ts_srv.c
    Since you're confident in the kernel, I'll see if I can work on compiling and connecting the drivers. That is, "learn how to."

NFS doesn't let to use android without pc, moboot also not works from the box. Maybe you understood me wrong: in instructions above, bootr isn't used, kernel boots from pc.
    Oh, I didn't understand this. I didn't realize you were booting from PC. I had suggested the same for people who are testing (like the USBnet NFS) to minimize flashing and risk to bootloader.
  2.    #62  
    So here is what i will do. I will load your uimage into moboot along with the cwm for touchpad and then i will flash the touchscreen driver for touchpad ics. Then if it works i will add it to the Port.
    That way we can see if it works without wasting too much time on one thing.

i will use your files and i will try the moboot for veer with cwm for touchpad
    Here are the links to the files: moboot for veer https://github.com/xndcn/moboot-for-veer

Think it will work?
    PRE 3 ANDROID WILL BE SUCCESFUL!!!!!
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus;3381294

Since you're confident in the kernel, I'll see if I can work on compiling and connecting the drivers. That is, "learn how to." ;)

[QUOTE=palmpreandroid;3381293
    Yes, this is the driver we need. i thought that we could use the veer driver but veer and pre- uses cy8ctma300.
    Touchpad and Pre3 use the cy8ctma395 touchscreen driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Great, thank you! Have you tried moboot or boot from NFS? (I thought I saw you boot from NFS originally.)

Did you try the generic Cypress drivers for touchscreen with an insmod (if that works)? Can anyone verify these apply to Pre 3? Those worked for the Veer and Touchpad. Look for Android on Veer github (user xndcn) for source. He also wrote code to make gestures. These need to be adjusted for Pre 3 resolution. Perhaps other things too.
    lets try the flashable .zip with the driver for the hp touchpad. if we can get cwm installed
    And for what it's worth, I had done some snooping of different Pre 3 teardown pictures. Was trying to get more ideas on what drivers would be necessary.

Maybe someone else has a better list? Even a block diagram of the hardware? I couldn't find it. Some of this is obvious, but here you go:

CPU and chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon S2 MSM8255
    Power Management: Qualcomm PM8058
    Memory: Elpida B4064B2PD-6D-F LPDDR2 SDRAM (from UK Pre 3... may be different for US variant)
    Wifi: Atheros AR6003 (same as Touchpad?)
    Radio: Qualcomm RTR8605 Intelliceiver with TriQuint TQM7M5013 quadband amplifier

Camera driver details, just from looking at webOS source:
    camsrc-msm driver (GStreamer camera source plugin for MSM)
    qcameralib (user space camera control library)
    kernel-module-gspca-main (GSPCA usb camera driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreandroid View Post
    So here is what i will do. I will load your uimage into moboot along with the cwm for touchpad and then i will flash the touchscreen driver for touchpad ics. Then if it works i will add it to the Port.
    That way we can see if it works without wasting too much time on one thing.

Here are the links to the files: moboot for veer https://github.com/xndcn/moboot-for-veer

Think it will work?
    From looking at xndcn's work, I had convinced myself the touch screen modules need to be modified for different screen resolution. Is that not the case?

And also for moboot, as Nikolay said, I don't think it works out of the box. Minimally I believe the address values need to be changed. You can see this change in xndcn's code on moboot-for-veer. What the location should be for the 3, I don't know.

You're welcome to try. But I'm pretty sure you will destroy your boot partition if incorrect, making your Pre 3 a very nice paperweight.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreandroid
    Yes, this is the driver we need. i thought that we could use the veer driver but veer and pre- uses cy8ctma300.
    Touchpad and Pre3 use the cy8ctma395 touchscreen driver.
    As far as I know, pre has CY8MRLN, veer and pre3 has cy8ctma300, touchpad has cy8ctma395.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreandroid
    I forgot to mention that moboot, that I've tried unsuccesfully, was moboot for veer. Also, I can't understand reasons to use cwm. I don't know if touchpad driver will work because I've tried ics driver - it failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus
    If you can post your init.rc changes, that would be welcome.
    init.rc - i've copied changes to mount system.ext3 and data.ext3 from touchpad's init.rc. Also, I've added logcat output.
  7.    #67  
    As far as I know, pre has CY8MRLN, veer and pre3 has cy8ctma300, touchpad has cy8ctma395.
    If the Pre3 has cy8ctma300 then if we run the ARC S ROM then we just need the other drivers.
  8.    #68  
    The ARC S ROM has drivers for the Qualcomm Snapdragon S2 MSM8255, and the Adreno 205, and the cy8ctma300. That is basically what we need to be able to run android. Then we can work on getting wifi, bluetooth, and gsm.
    whatever comes of this I would LOVE to have a mod for android on the pre3 to prolong the lifespan of my device ...16gb version so there is room for it ...bring it on, fellahs !!
    How is this project going ?
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoTakeOut1 View Post
    if you want to test see post #56. So far NIN has booted android, got buttons working and has the display working no touch. Right now we are working on Touch support. You can test, if you want. Once you shut phone down after test you will still be running webos. This uImage is for testing
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoTakeOut1 View Post
    To be more frank about it: looks like NIN's still at it. He did a bit of work getting Play Store to work I see. How he did it without a touch screen, I don't know.

Otherwise I don't know who this magical "we" ppa's referring to is.

For my part, I'm trapped in the busy / lazy cycle... Projects for work keeping busy. Then too lazy to work on this when free. Need to set up a new or at least larger Linux partition before I can even start: Boring!

Was looking at this again today though. Nikolay: Does that image and bootr setup require repartitioning to install? Still think I might try USBnet + NFS to test...
    To be more frank about it: looks like NIN's still at it. He did a bit of work getting Play Store to work I see. How he did it without a touch screen, I don't know.
    I'm currently working on android in card project, as I don't know what to do with touchscreen.
    Was looking at this again today though. Nikolay: Does that image and bootr setup require repartitioning to install? Still think I might try USBnet + NFS to test...
    Those instructions don't require repartitioning - you should simple copy two files on proper directory and boot kernel directly into pre3's memory(as in usbnet+nfs method). Bootr isn't used, but it also don't require repartitioning.
    That pre3's kernel will not work with nfs - ramdisk is built in. If you want, I will post nfs+usbnet instructions later.
    I'm currently working on android in card project, as I don't know what to do with touchscreen.

Those instructions don't require repartitioning - you should simple copy two files on proper directory and boot kernel directly into pre3's memory(as in usbnet+nfs method). Bootr isn't used, but it also don't require repartitioning.
    That pre3's kernel will not work with nfs - ramdisk is built in. If you want, I will post nfs+usbnet instructions later.
    Yes, I was taking apart your files to make the ramdisk image. But I see, I can go your way.

I have read a little on compiling the touch driver. It's all new to me. But I did just see an Android dev volunteering for the Pre on another thread. I invited him here and will try to track him down. Maybe the driver is easy work for him.
    Count me in if you need a tester.

Pre 3 AT&T 16gb

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    If you get it running as a card, then well, hell, it could be run on anything, right?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i was just about to post a question about this. but glad someone is already starting work on it. i hope good things come from this endeavor
    hey can I help I would love to have android on my pre so I can beat HP future
    android device :-)
    Any news , has this project been aborted.
    Not aborted, per se. Think NIN is the only one with real experience here and he's still grinding away. Just checked in on the thread on the .ru forums last night. His focus is still on the carded version of Android.

As for me, that pesky job that pays my rent has been keeping me too busy elsewhere. The fellow who had pinged the Android for Pre thread never responded by thread or PM. Really would help if someone with solid Android ROM experience and knowledge of the webOS architecture were interested.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast