webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Pre 3 Android Port
Pre 3 Android Port
Like Tree21Likes

Old 02/09/2013, 09:32 AM   #41 (permalink)

ok, i have started to collect drivers and inorporate it into the rom. so far i have the cpu, gpu, chipset driverrs from the ARC S, I think that i may be able to use the pre's driver, if not, please correct me., and ight now i am hunting for the wifi drivers. If you know where to find the rest of the drivers, send me a pm
palmpreandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2013, 07:05 PM   #42 (permalink)

Sources and instructions on compiling are welcome. Want to try this myself, just have zero experience compiling anything for Android.

Might I suggest targeting boot from NFS (over USB) is a good way to start? This is how they did it for the Pre, though it also never took off. android-on-pre - Android on Palm Pre - Google Project Hosting

I tried the above link on my old Pre minus with success. Nice way to do testing of drivers, I think. 1) Doesn't waste ROM flashes. 2) No risk of damaging the file system (that I know of). 3) Still natively running, so can see real performance.

Really, if someone can point to a ...For Dummies guide to compiling Android test kernels for webOS devices, as well as how these Android, Pre and Veer folks put together and modified Android drivers from existing devices, I'd love to tinker to see what fits. As it stands I think I suffer from too much stupid.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2013, 07:14 PM   #43 (permalink)

And as for using the Arc S as a potential start, I had been thinking similarly. Display settings would need some adjusting for the different resolutions though. 480x800 (Pre 3) vs. 480x854 (Arc S).

Source for the basic Cypress touchscreen driver is available on the Veer project. Again, resolution adjustments needed. My best guess is the Pre 3 is also Cypress (?). xndcn used that generic driver. I think it's only single touch, but it does support gesture areas.

Very smartly put to use on the Veer attempt! Emulates webOS gestures and converts them to Android actions (back, home, etc). I'd have prefer Swipe Up = multitasking pane.

Hints on implementing the keyboard, including keymaps, probably also match the Veer's (?).

Edit: And I'm not so sure about using things from the Pre 1 or 2. They of course changed to Qualcomm chipsets for the Veer and Pre 3. So I was sticking to those two devices and Android Scorpion devices when I hunted for info.

Last edited by ananimus; 02/09/2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02/09/2013, 07:24 PM   #44 (permalink)

Sorry for spamming. Can this thread be moved to Android on webOS forum? That's where the rest of the Androidification chatter is.
Old 02/09/2013, 07:39 PM   #45 (permalink)

<thread moved>
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by palmpreandroid likes this.
Thanked by ananimus, palmpreandroid
Old 02/10/2013, 01:41 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
And as for using the Arc S as a potential start, I had been thinking similarly. Display settings would need some adjusting for the different resolutions though. 480x800 (Pre 3) vs. 480x854 (Arc S).

Source for the basic Cypress touchscreen driver is available on the Veer project. Again, resolution adjustments needed. My best guess is the Pre 3 is also Cypress (?). xndcn used that generic driver. I think it's only single touch, but it does support gesture areas.

Very smartly put to use on the Veer attempt! Emulates webOS gestures and converts them to Android actions (back, home, etc). I'd have prefer Swipe Up = multitasking pane.

Hints on implementing the keyboard, including keymaps, probably also match the Veer's (?).

Edit: And I'm not so sure about using things from the Pre 1 or 2. They of course changed to Qualcomm chipsets for the Veer and Pre 3. So I was sticking to those two devices and Android Scorpion devices when I hunted for info.
Looks like you could help, making the ROM. If you find any drivers PM me. The only basic things we need to run android is kernal,chipset,cpu,touchscreen, and gpu. I do not want to use NFS. Because even if you mess up the file system there are ways to fix
Old 02/10/2013, 03:53 PM   #47 (permalink)

Yes, there are ways to fix it. But when asking people to help with alpha testing, they're more likely to help if there's small risk. If they may have to Doctor, or worse, corrupt their boot image, that's a lot to ask. If it can be shown to work in NFS, I'm sure someone with experience would be interested in adapting moboot again.

And unfortunately no, I'm not much help at building a ROM. I'm curious to learn. Do you know how to build the filesystem and kernel images for unknown hardware? Having pieces of source is one thing. Knowing what to do with them is another...

Also, I stand corrected about the touch panel. If I understand Translate, Nikolay tried the Veer/Touchpad drivers when he was doing his first attempt with the Pre 3 (before going to the chroot method). It sounds like it didn't work. I don't know if he was using the generic Cypress driver or something else though.

He's probably one of the best people to discuss this with. NIN on webos-forums.ru. He's just started looking at it again this week, but has still not posted any instruction or source info. I'm sure his experience would be helpful.
Old 02/24/2013, 03:07 PM   #48 (permalink)

Okay, need help. Trying to contact non. Someone get me his email.xndnc is no longer a dev.
Old 02/26/2013, 03:39 PM   #49 (permalink)

Sorry to keep everyone waiting to hear how far ive got. Okay i am trying to cantact NIN, as he can answer some very important questions for me. I was going to get XDNC's help but unfortunatly he is no longer developing roms and drivers, BUT he still has all of the veer drivers on git. Still working on the ROM.
Old 02/27/2013, 08:40 PM   #50 (permalink)

Perhaps you can post about some of what you've done so far and what you've tried. Certainly some of the devs here might be able to give some tips as you go. With enough details perhaps myself and others may even lend a hand with compiling and troubleshooting.

Also, it looks like my PM back to you isn't sending. But here's the old article about the Pre minus with video and forum link: http://www.webosnation.com/android-d...d-pre-hardware

Think the video is with dual-boot, not NFS boot. When I tried the NFS it was decent but very crashy.

Best of luck.
Old 02/28/2013, 07:56 AM   #51 (permalink)

Thanks for the update.
Tenchi-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 02:33 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmpreandroid View Post
Okay i am trying to cantact NIN, as he can answer some very important questions for me.
You can ask your questions. I will be happy to help.
NIN_ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 06:07 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN_ru View Post
You can ask your questions. I will be happy to help.
Great, now that you are here i can ask some important questions.
I'll send you a PM with some questions later. I am guessing that you installed the moboot and cwm from the touchpad or maybe the veer and then installed a Experia ARC S ROM. Am i Correct?

Good luck with your android in a card project.
Thanks
Old 02/28/2013, 09:33 PM   #54 (permalink)

You are welcome to discuss here as well! I'm sure other people (like me) are interested to hear the details.

Nikolay, for your Pre 3 effort, did you compile from source?
Liked by sledge007 and Garrett92C like this.
Old 03/01/2013, 03:29 PM   #55 (permalink)

Nikolay,
can you please send me a complete install guide with everything you did to install android.
Okay, so in your pics i saw that you were able to accses the launcher in GB but were on the lockscreen in ICS.
So i am thinking that ICS has no touch support. You said that you wanted to get JB but iam just going to get ICS and hopefully some other devs will make a JB update
Old 03/01/2013, 04:11 PM   #56 (permalink)

I used bootloader "bootr", which already supports pre3, but I don't recommend to use it because in this state it's impossible to shutdown android correctly, so you will have boot loop. You can see bootr's video, created by it's developer here: Android on Pre3 - Usable only as Clock... - YouTube .
I've compiled android from source, with minimal necessary device tree(if you want, I will share it).
Maybe you want to see working android, then follow this steps:
Don't forget to make backup.
Copy attached "system.ext3" and "data.ext3" on "build" directory on pre3 card(/media/internal/build). In novaterm, type "tellbootie recover" to put pre3 in bootie mode and type "novacom boot mem:// < uImage.Android", where "uImage.Android" attached. You will see booting android and in first boot you will be able to press keys(but don't try power key) - android will load browser. In futher boots it will be impossible because of screen lock. Hope it will be usefull for you.
Attachments:
system.ext3 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B39_...it?usp=sharing
data.ext3 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B39_...it?usp=sharing
uImage.Android https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B39_...it?usp=sharing

UPD:I failed to get touchscreen working(I'm not experienced in drivers), but maybe have some ideas.
Old 03/02/2013, 01:00 AM   #57 (permalink)

Great, thank you! Have you tried moboot or boot from NFS? (I thought I saw you boot from NFS originally.)

This is my first try for compiling Android. But a great weekend project! If you have source that would help. And you just used the basic Android guide for compiling?

Quote:
failed to get touchscreen working(I'm not experienced in drivers), but maybe have some ideas.
Did you try the generic Cypress drivers for touchscreen with an insmod (if that works)? Can anyone verify these apply to Pre 3? Those worked for the Veer and Touchpad. Look for Android on Veer github (user xndcn) for source. He also wrote code to make gestures. These need to be adjusted for Pre 3 resolution. Perhaps other things too.
Old 03/02/2013, 10:33 AM   #58 (permalink)

ananimus is correct. we cannot use bootr unless we make some changes to make it stable, which im not going to do so lets just use moboot or nfs.
Old 03/02/2013, 11:17 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Great, thank you! Have you tried moboot or boot from NFS? (I thought I saw you boot from NFS originally.)
Yes, before development of android I've tried moboot - it even could boot to menu, boot himself from menu, but couldn't boot webos kernel. Then I saw bootr and stoped to use moboot. I've also tried NFS, but unsuccesfully(I failed to configure it, because after some experiments pre3 didn't want to see my network,even wifi - I had to doctor it).

Quote:
And you just used the basic Android guide for compiling?
Yes, I used basic guide. I want to warn that in order to compile all you have to add new device,compile whole android(for a very long time), compile custom kernel that support android, modify init.rc to boot from pre3 memory. If you still want to do it, I will post instructions, but I think it's better to use prebuilt image and concentrate on touchscreen.

Quote:
Did you try the generic Cypress drivers for touchscreen with an insmod (if that works)? Can anyone verify these apply to Pre 3? Those worked for the Veer and Touchpad. Look for Android on Veer github (user xndcn) for source. He also wrote code to make gestures. These need to be adjusted for Pre 3 resolution. Perhaps other things too.
I don't know a lot about drivers, but this is my thoughts:
Because of my kernel can boot both webos and android, and touchscreen works in webos, I think that driver is working properly(gets data and reports it to kernel), but kernel don't create input device in android. Cyanogenmod touchpad team and xndcn solved this problem by userspace driver, so you will need to do the same.
You can compare veer, pre3, touchpad touchscreen realisation here(search for word "cy8ctma"):
veer
pre3
touchpad
You will see that touchscreen data is available by spi on veer and by uart on touchpad and pre3. So I think xndcn's userspace driver is completely useless for pre3, while touchpad seems to be similar(pre3 has /dev/ctp_uart too).
I recommend to start from this touchpad driver:ts_srv.c
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmpreandroid
ananimus is correct. we cannot use bootr unless we make some changes to make it stable, which im not going to do so lets just use moboot or nfs.
NFS doesn't let to use android without pc, moboot also not works from the box. Maybe you understood me wrong: in instructions above, bootr isn't used, kernel boots from pc.

Last edited by NIN_ru; 03/02/2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03/02/2013, 12:04 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
I recommend to start from this touchpad driver:ts_srv.c
Yes, this is the driver we need. i thought that we could use the veer driver but veer and pre- uses cy8ctma300.
Touchpad and Pre3 use the cy8ctma395 touchscreen driver.

Tags
android, porting, pre 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0