webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Pre 3 Android Port
Pre 3 Android Port
Like Tree20Likes

Old 01/27/2013, 12:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmpreandroid View Post
There was a chinese DEV who worked on getting android on the pre- . I will try to get in touch with him and see if he can help with this project.
if you mean the chroid project from chomper then that was android within webOS, which is likely what the newer post regarding a russian dev has based his work on, which also runs also within webos (imho a better option since ACL will never happen).

if it is chompers work your thinking of, i think he abandoned it, i think he said it was only a proof of concept and hed hoped others would make use of it and carry it farther, tho this was quite some time ago as well.
Old 01/27/2013, 12:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
those android devices were specifically chosen for their openness and ease of porting too, and yes android can run on a webos device, but only the touchpad has had success, mostly again because there were manufacturer touchpad devices with their own versions of android pre-installed that leaked out.
Not just the touchpad, the touchpad is the only one whose project isn't dead yet. The pre-, Pre2, Veer, touchpad, even some treo's have had efforts to port android to them, why not we add the pre3 to that list.
palmpreandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 12:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
To all the DEV's working on this project or who would like to work on this project:
We have two options:
-Start from scratch by using the AOSP
-Modify the ARC S ROM and get drivers(most important touchscreen)
then its mostly android devs your hoping to gather, best finding ore of them on xda developers, rootzwiki etc and find several of the many hp pre3 android posts and giving your input there, tho most of those threads are from 2011.
Thanked By: palmpreandroid
Old 01/27/2013, 12:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
why not we add the pre3 to that list.
if you can find the drivers you need then your in luck, without them tho your as stuck as the various other devs that tried and also got stuck in 2011 onwards.
Old 01/27/2013, 12:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
if you mean the chroid project from chomper then that was android within webOS, which is likely what the newer post regarding a russian dev has based his work on, which also runs also within webos (imho a better option since ACL will never happen).

if it is chompers work your thinking of, i think he abandoned it, i think he said it was only a proof of concept and hed hoped others would make use of it and carry it farther, tho this was quite some time ago as well.
No,no I am talking about a dual-boot android OS on a pre-. The project is dead now. I don't want to run in chroid I want an actual OS with dual-boot. Here is the link to what i am talking about: http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...droid-pre.html
Old 01/27/2013, 12:22 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
if you can find the drivers you need then your in luck, without them tho your as stuck as the various other devs that tried and also got stuck in 2011 onwards.
That is why i am going to get some devs on rootzwiki to help out with this project. When i say all of us need to work together i mean everyone with a phone with similar specs, android devs, webos devs, and pre 3 owners.
Old 01/27/2013, 04:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Alright, lets get this project orginized.

Work for Devs
-android devs
-get kernels
-get drivers
- make the basic changes to the OS(Android 4.0 ICS)
-webos devs
-load cwm onto the phone
- load moboot onto the phone
- look for drivers in webos
Work for non devs
-wait
-donate
- test some previews and provide feedback once they are released
-Keep this project alive
-get some devs you know to help out
Old 01/27/2013, 04:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

All right it is now up to the webos devs to get the cwm loaded on the phone. I am now heading to rootzwiki to get some android devs to get started on the ROM.
Old 01/28/2013, 07:55 AM   #29 (permalink)

This is the strangest thread I've seen in a long time on here. Not sure if this has been asked already but why would we want android on our Pre3's? Most people if they've got a Pre3 it's because they love webOS enough that they would buy a phone even though it has no chance of support from official channels. Maybe I'm alone here but I'm more interested in the other way around. (ie. the work that's being done porting openwebOS to Nexus and other devices).

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gizmo21, sledge007 and T-Pad like this.
Old 01/28/2013, 10:02 AM   #30 (permalink)

I'd love to have android on my Pre 3 in the cards or dual boot, I love WebOS but it just doesn't have enough apps for my needs.
Having the the best of both worlds would be cool.
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by palmpreandroid likes this.
Old 01/28/2013, 11:58 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
This is the strangest thread I've seen in a long time on here. Not sure if this has been asked already but why would we want android on our Pre3's? Most people if they've got a Pre3 it's because they love webOS enough that they would buy a phone even though it has no chance of support from official channels. Maybe I'm alone here but I'm more interested in the other way around. (ie. the work that's being done porting openwebOS to Nexus and other devices).
Cause webos was good, until hp killed it. We could port IOS but it would be about 10 years of hard work. besides IOS sucks anyway. We want to revive the Pre 3 the way they revived the hp veer. They didnt have to revive the touchpad they just had to keep it alive before it died.
Old 01/28/2013, 12:01 PM   #32 (permalink)

All right Webos devs will work on moboot and cwm and android devs on rootzwiki will make the rom
If you are a webos DEV and would like to help message me.
Old 01/28/2013, 12:05 PM   #33 (permalink)

To all webos DEV'S:
The touchpad is pretty much a big pre 3 and the veer is a small one. The experia arc s is just a phone with similar specs. Maybe wecould use novacom and acme installer to get moboot and cwm installed.
Heading to Rootzwiki to get some devs to start on the rom
Old 01/28/2013, 01:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

I'm scratching my head here....if it were as simple as "all the android devs gotta do is X" and "all the webOS devs gotta do is Y"....I'm sure it would be done by now. If you want an Android phone that badly....go pick one up.....sign a contract, get a second job, save some money, check the second hand ads.... Whatever it takes..

Good luck at xda....if you come off the wrong way over there, they will eat you alive....no joke.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 02:26 PM   #35 (permalink)

Yeah, this is not a real-time strategy game where you just issue commands and people start hacking away. I've seen enough of these types of threads (including my own) start and end the same way for people trying to will openwebOS onto other devices.

Now, someone showing actual progress they've made and WORK they've done would certainly be worth talking about and could inspire others to join in. Unfortunately, all I see here is speculation.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Liked by gizmo21 likes this.
Old 01/29/2013, 08:22 PM   #36 (permalink)

Good to know you guys want to port Android to Pre3. I have been waiting for it for a long time.

The best Android porting to Palm/HP device I know is Android-on-veer.
- Dual boot
- Good performance
- Physical keyboard is working
- Touch screen is working

I suggest you can contact xndcn to kick start the project.

Project website
Android-on-veer

Video
Tiny Droid: Installing Android on the HP Veer (Video) | Pocketnow
Tenchi-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 12:45 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
I can only speak for myself, but the main reason I have a Pre3 is actually the form factor, I love touchscreen portrait sliders with a physical qwerty keyboard. Now I'm not saying I don't love webOS, on the contrary, I do and I think it's was the best mobile OS out there had HP (or Leo actually) not killed it!

But we got to a point now were you cannot use your phone or tablet except for calling, sending sms, emails and browsing (even that is becoming difficult these days). The lack of apps is simply frustrating!

This is the main reason I installed CM9 on my TP, when it was on webOS, I just used it for emails, browsing and playing Angry Birds (which weren't getting any updates anymore) and that's it, there was nothing much I could do with it! Same goes with my Pre3 now!

After I installed CM9, it really felt like I unlocked Pandora's Box out of the TP! It felt like all this potential was burried in there and now I unlocked it all! There's no limit as to what you can do with the TP now (compared to other tablets)!

So because I love the form factor of my Pre3, I would love to be able to install android on it because I would unlock Pandora's Box out of it! I've been looking for an android replacement for my Pre3 but I cannot find one, all of them are slates with no physical keyboard :S

Again, I'm not saying android is better than webOS, I do love webOS more than android and more than any mobile OS out there, but it's the lack of apps which is the problem!
mschumacher69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus and palmpreandroid like this.
Old 01/30/2013, 08:28 AM   #38 (permalink)

I totally understand - and if there were a port that is up to the level that CM9 was on my Touchpad, I would try it out too. These situations are very different though. Just thinking about the devices out there... the Touchpad ended up in the hands of a lot of people with the intention of hacking on it due to the firesale. The Pre3 has a vastly different story. It would be great for the Pre3 to have the same kind of army behind it hacking away but I just don't think it's there... and not to mention on a Pre3 there are cellular radios to make work on top of everything else that had to be done to get the Touchpad port to work. I didn't mean to be a debbie downer, but my expectations are low and having a CDMA Pre3 they are even lower for Android.

What is the state of the Veer-droid? Did they get everything working in it?

Old 01/30/2013, 05:49 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi-Man View Post
Good to know you guys want to port Android to Pre3. I have been waiting for it for a long time.

The best Android porting to Palm/HP device I know is Android-on-veer.
- Dual boot
- Good performance
- Physical keyboard is working
- Touch screen is working

I suggest you can contact xndcn to kick start the project.

Project website
Android-on-veer

Video
Tiny Droid: Installing Android on the HP Veer (Video) | Pocketnow
Yeah! This is the Chinese DEV i was talking about. Well, I have already sent him an email requesting some help.
Old 01/31/2013, 10:15 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumacher69 View Post
I can only speak for myself, but the main reason I have a Pre3 is actually the form factor...
You speak for me too, mostly.

For my typical use, I still like webOS for Synergy, Just Type (especially useful on a device with a physical keyboard!) and gestures/multitasking. But having played with a Nexus 7, I think Duarte's special sauce is creeping into Android enough that I might have tried that for my new toy this year. It has neat shiny things. I like to try new shiny things.

But nope, the final deciding factor was total frustration with the hardware offerings on Android. The Pre 3 hits the sweet spot, so I stuck with webOS.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, porting, pre 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0