webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Very Impressed w/CM 10 (After some setbacks)
Very Impressed w/CM 10 (After some setbacks)
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By k4ever
  • 1 Post By k4ever

Old 01/17/2013, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

I decided to totally erase CM9 from my TouchPad (again!) and try out CM10 last month. I originally installed J.C. Sullins 20121204 Experimental version, but have since upgraded twice to 20121216. I've been running it for a month now. I have to say that I am deeply impressed with CM10. It seems to run a lot smoother than CM9. Jelly Bean really feels like a tablet OS versus previous versions of Android. I am not repulsed by it like I was on previous versions. It feels like it belongs on the TouchPad.

Before I go into a lot of detail, I want to first say that my experience at the beginning was not at all smooth. I was about ready to nuke CM10 off of my TouchPad and not look back after struggling with it for three weeks. It was all my fault and I didn't realized it until a few days ago. I've loved the ADWLauncher for some time now. So much so that I purchased ADWLauncher and ADWLauncher EX. I find myself eventually replacing the default home program/launcher on all of my Android devices with ADWLauncher. Right after I installed CM10, I immediately replaced the default launcher, Trebuchet, with ADWLauncher EX. Just as I did with CM9. I maybe spent two whole minutes with Trebuchet. First, I started having problems with the "SD Card" taking too long to load after a reboot which caused issues with widgets and other start-up programs. I found that if I waited a minute after the lock screen first appeared before unlocking the device, this would negate that problem. Then I started having issues with CM10 dumping the default launcher program settings on reboot. It would ask me every time to chose my default launcher (ADWLauncher EX or Trebuchet). Then I started having problems with updating apps. Every time I would reboot, the same apps would have updates. They were mixed in with other app updates so I did not catch it until about two weeks in. I noticed that Flipboard (and at two other apps) had an update every time. I checked the installed version number versus the update version number and they were exactly the same. Uninstalling and re-installing it did not fix the issue. I just turned off automatic updates and started ignoring the notifications. Finally, and this is the most annoying bug of all, if one program stopped working (Sorry but xxxx has stopped working) it would cause a cascade and every program I attempted to open afterwards would not work also. I had to restart the device to fix the issue. I was restarting 2-3 times a days. I thought it was maybe a permissions problem or a cache problem, but that was not the case. I finally figured out what the issue was when I dedicated a few hours to fixing the bug with the default home screen selection. I uninstalled ADWLauncher EX, then by chance, I could not re-install it for a few hours because of a problem with my Internet service. I noticed that during the time ADWLauncher EX was not installed, CM10 was rock solid stable. No "SD Card" loading issues and no cascading application failures. After I was able to reconnect to the Internet, I even noticed that the problem with some apps constantly updating after the tablet was restarted was gone. ADWLauncher EX has a serious bug that effects CM10. I don't know what it is, but I am staying away from it for now. This was not the first time I uninstalled ADWLauncher EX either. I uninstalled and re-installed it at least 5 times before. I cleared the data for the program several times also, before and after a re-install. This was, however, the first time I left it off the tablet and I am glad that I did. It was the cause of all my problems. If I had stuck with the default (Trebuchet), I would have had some more time in the past to enjoy CM10.

What I like about CM10 (jcsullins' versions and Android in general):

- It is a lot smoother than CM9. Application transitions are better. Applications seem to start faster.
- The re-worked notification area seems better suited for a tablet
- The camera and microphone finally work so I can use Skype and Google Voice Search
- There are a lot of applications available (that are not simple website replacements)
- It is stable (if you don't install ADWLauncher EX!)

I don't dislike CM10. I do, however, still really dislike the following things about Android:

- It is not webOS. It is still not as easy to use as webOS. Application switching is not intuitive and feels unnatural when compared to webOS. You can't use gestures to cycle through running apps.
- Some apps still behave as if they were on a phone (cough, cough, Spotify, cough) or were made for phone instead of a tablet. This is getting a lot better. Flipboard and Tapatalk finally updated their apps for screens greater than 7 inches. Tablet apps on Android have not caught up to webOS 3.x yet (which is really sad considering no one is really making apps for webOS 3.x anymore) and are still way, way behind iOS but it is getting better. At least the types of apps I use everyday finally have tablet equivalents on Android.
- You have to install multiple applications (even buy some) to get functionality that is there by default in webOS. I had to purchase an application called Rotate to keep Spotify and some other apps from launching (and staying) in portrait mode even though I had the tablet in landscape mode. Rotate also gives me the ability to lock the screen rotation, which is already a built in feature for webOS. I had to buy a decent keyboard program that is still not as good as the webOS keyboard.
- There are a lot of junk applications and security concerns with Android. If you are not used to Android, be prepared to download at least 4-5 different applications for a specific need before you find one that is somewhat decent. Also watch out for free applications that accesses and sells your contacts and other personal data to companies for a profit. I don't see any reason why a simple game would need access to your contacts but there are many in Android that ask for permission to do just that.
- Almost all of the free applications and many of the paid applications are littered with annoying advertisements. What's even worse is that these ads sometimes pop up in your notification area. Don't play a particular game for a while? Don't worry, an ad will pop up in your notification area begging you to play again. There are ad blocker programs that are suppose to help, but they sometimes cause stability problems with the applications they are blocking the ads from.
- Flash is unstable as heck. I would recommend setting whatever browser you use to "Load Plugins on Demand". I also found that if a flash video starts to garble up you can fix it by pinch zooming in and out a few times.

Despite the issues I have with Android in general, I love CM10. I find myself using it a lot (now that I figured out what was causing it to be unstable). I seriously wished it had gestured app switching like webOS. I also wish there were more tablet apps instead of phone junk. However, the recent addition of Spotify for Tablets, Tapatalk HD, Flipboard for Tablets, and Mozilla Firefox with the Phony plugin has made using Android on the TouchPad quite enjoyable. Google's voice function, Play services, and navigation are also top notch and add much to your experience. I can actually recommend Android on the TouchPad to my family members now.

I'm still rooting for webOS. I'm hoping that open webOS gains traction and actually starts attracting developers again. Until then, with a little help from some apps, CM10 is an excellent substitute. Just stay away from home screen replacements. Besides, Trebuchet isn't half bad.
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jimbode, renater and DaElderGeek like this.
Thanked by DaElderGeek, Semma2
Old 01/17/2013, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I find Hololauncher HD works well on my TP CM10 and I use Hololauncher for my froyo phone.
you can assign menu and shortcuts to gestures, swipe up, swipe down and soft keys etc.

thanks for the review, good to read someone else indeph experince of CM10 on TP , I recently purchased an ainol fire 7" and have installed CM10 Jellybean 4.2.1 on it. Will now try and get open webOS to run on it also.

Last edited by Firepower; 01/17/2013 at 10:53 PM.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmmn, I installed some 12-23-12 nightly version of CM9, mainly to see if I could get an ad-hoc tether going with an iPhone (I could not on cm9 or webOS).
Wondering if you could do better with CM10?
I'm going away in a week and hope to get by with a tablet and phone.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

After just under a week of using Android on both my tablet and phone at the same time, without a break, I'm starting to get Android burn-out. It's mostly due to crappy, buggy apps. Android has a lot of them. Too many. I've had to install and uninstall apps that either did not work as advertised, caused system instabilities, or both.

It is worse on the tablet then it is on the phone. I still have to deal with apps that look alright on my phone but look horrible on a larger screen.

I have given up on Flash on Android. It is just too buggy. Flash on webOS is a lot more stable. Running a browser with Flash on or even on demand in CM 10 causes too many instabilities. I think Flash was causing problems with Netflix' new interface. I also started seeing issues with Spotify. I've completely stop using Firefox for Android and switched back to Dolphin. Dolphin has completely disabled Flash. In order to view sites like Youtube, you can't use desktop as your user agent. You are stuck using Android (the default), which you can tell off the bat that the page is formatted for a phone, iPhone (which is similar to Android), or iPad, which gives you the Tonka toy looking Youtube page that won't go to fullscreen properly.

I hate the way you interface with apps in the OS. I know hate is a strong word but that is how I feel. I've gotten used to it but I don't like it. WebOS is smoother. Most of the apps that try to improve the user experience fall way short and cause more problems then they help. I recommend giving up on trying to make Android behave like webOS and just deal with it. The price you pay for having more apps is it may take one or two extra steps to access them. The price you pay for more functionality is digging through some ugly menus to get to it. You can install an app or two that will seem to make it better. Get luck on that.

I'll wrap this up by saying that if you install Android on your TouchPad looking for a user interface (or experience) similar to or as good as webOS, you are going to be severely disappointed. Save yourself the trouble, especially if webOS already has the apps you want or need. However, if you can deal with the extra steps in doing some things or the occasional app crashing or an incompatibility or two, you will be rewarded with a richer app selection and top notch intergrated services (voice, search, and navigation) that are second to none.

Edit: BTW, I'm still using CM 10 right now which is a testament to how far Android has come. I'm still not as happy but I am to the point where I can accept it as it is.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by k4ever; 01/19/2013 at 02:18 PM.
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 01/19/2013, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

K4ever,

could you possibly see if it could recognize an ad hoc network.
cm9 pogoplug app did one thing for me today that my desktop browsers and ios devices refused to do--it downloaded a few files from someone's macbook (their upload speed was too slow so we circumvented it by using pogoplug software to download)
Old 01/20/2013, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
K4ever,

could you possibly see if it could recognize an ad hoc network.
cm9 pogoplug app did one thing for me today that my desktop browsers and ios devices refused to do--it downloaded a few files from someone's macbook (their upload speed was too slow so we circumvented it by using pogoplug software to download)
If you could walk me through setting up an ad hoc network on Windows 7, I could do it for you tomorrow morning when I have time again.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD
Old 01/20/2013, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Are there any other CM10 users out there? I keep having random apps crashing on startup. I had this on CM9 also. If I swipe the dead app and all of the other previously ran apps away from the recent apps task manager, then the app will run. This kinda defeats the purpose of multitasking. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, how do you fix it?

Old 01/23/2013, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Apparently there is a file permissions issue with CM10 and an issue with the 0.3.5 version of Moboot. I found a CM10 Touchpad thread on XDA Developers that helped out. After flashing jcsullins' version of CWM6 and Moboot 0.3.8, I can now install and play Asphalt 7 and apps are supposed to be more stable. I will test it out extensively this evening.

Old 01/24/2013, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
If you could walk me through setting up an ad hoc network on Windows 7, I could do it for you tomorrow morning when I have time again.

the ad hoc network is set up solely on the touchpad which apparently then can communicate immediately with the ad hoc on the phone (ie the iPhone)

there is an app for android that people used --ZT-180 ad hoc switcher-- but i could not get it to work on cm9 w touchpad or cm9 on kindle fire.
Old 01/25/2013, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
the ad hoc network is set up solely on the touchpad which apparently then can communicate immediately with the ad hoc on the phone (ie the iPhone)

there is an app for android that people used --ZT-180 ad hoc switcher-- but i could not get it to work on cm9 w touchpad or cm9 on kindle fire.
I tried ZT-180 and it did not work. It darn near broke the wifi on my CM10 install.

Old 01/26/2013, 07:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm running CM10. Remember this is an alpha release so you should expect the kind of problems your having.Please report them back to jcsullins so they can get fixed! Overall having CM10 is nice but I mostly use webos still.

First, your flash issues are related to the CM10 build not android per se. Flash seems to work pretty well as long as you double tap the video to start but its still not bug free.

Second, try Nova Launcher. I love it and it runs fine on CM10

Third, check out the CM10 thread for the TP at rootzwiki. You'll get better support there.
peterlemonjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I'm running CM10. Remember this is an alpha release so you should expect the kind of problems your having.Please report them back to jcsullins so they can get fixed! Overall having CM10 is nice but I mostly use webos still.

First, your flash issues are related to the CM10 build not android per se. Flash seems to work pretty well as long as you double tap the video to start but its still not bug free.

Second, try Nova Launcher. I love it and it runs fine on CM10

Third, check out the CM10 thread for the TP at rootzwiki. You'll get better support there.
Thanks! I got some good support from the thread at xda−developers. Helped me to fix almost all of my issues. I've given up on Flash. I subscribe to that thread regularly now. CM10 is working so good that I installed it on my wife's Touchpad also.

Old 01/26/2013, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Oh, and try an ad blocker too. It works great for blocking those annoying ads. I use adaway.
peterlemonjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2014, 05:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

I figured that I would update this..

Well, as everyone here knows, ACL has been a disaster. I had hoped to have Android apps running on webOS' interface (the best of both worlds). However, it seems that PIC and OM want to fleece users instead of achieving this goal. Because of this, I have completely given up on ACL and wish that PIC/OM would just die.

I'm still using Android on my Touchpad. I have become somewhat of an expert at installing and uninstalling Android ROMs. I have tried Evervolv's AOSP and Cyanogenmod ROMs from milaq, jcsullins, and invisiblek. I've tried CM10.1, 10.2, and 11. I've settled with milaq's weekly unofficial CM10.1 ROM as it seems the most stable and offers that most features for me. 10.2 (Android 4.3) and 11 (Android 4.4) are just not stable enough or offer enough working features (Bluetooth, Mic, Camera) for me to consider at this time.

Android on the Touchpad has matured enough for me to be my daily driver. That means that I am now careful about preserving my set-up on it. I backup settings and think long and hard before attempting an upgrade/update.

The things that upset me about Android have been either fixed in the update, fixed by developers, or I've come to live with them. Tablet apps have gotten a lot better on Android. There is now a tablet version of just about every app I use. No more stretched phone apps. I'm back to using ADWLauncher EX. It is rock solid stable now. It looks a lot better than Trebuchet. I turned off the annoying animations so everything just "pops" on the screen. Fast and smooth. The email app and web browsers have gotten a lot better. The email app is on par with webOS' email app. I've finally settle on just using the built in web browser instead of Dolphin, Boat, or Chrome. It seems more stable and I like the default color scheme (who doesn't like all black?).

It's not all roses. I still prefer webOS for app switching, notifications, and battery life. Swiping up is better than hitting the "Recent Apps" buttons and there is no way to cycle between running apps with a simple left or right swipe like with LunaCE. The notification are in some ways better than webOS (full album covers from music) and in some ways worse (can't dismiss some notification separately). The battery drains a lot more quicker than on webOS. However, after re-flashing the A6 firmware it has become manageable.

I'm still a bigger fan of webOS. I hope that LG offers it on a tablet or a phone soon. Until then Android 4.2.2 (CM 10.1) is where it is at right now for me.
Old 01/18/2014, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'd appreciate it if you'd supply a simple guide to installing the newer roms, and just what the difference is in the install procedures .. if i understandi t correctly, it sounds like the newer ones no longer put their stuff in the webos media directory? is that correct? It seems a little bit difficult to figure it out if you haven't been paying attention, and want to go from a CM9 beta to a CM10.1 or CM11...
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2014, 09:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

In the xda touchpad development thread, there is an excellent thread by rolanddeschain79 that can easily get you there. Essentially, its about increasing system partition size in android to 500-600MB for android 4.2+ roms

You can use Tailor for that :-)

Last edited by MudShark22; 01/18/2014 at 09:27 PM.
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2014, 09:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

I use shumash's Schizoid 2.11 all-in-one for my 2nd TP.
Has custom kernel, combines features of cm, aokp, and paranoid android. Last build includes the latest Bluetooth fixes.

Aside from the tailor move, I did everything through the previously installed cwm.

Ask away, I'll see if I can answer.
Old 01/18/2014, 09:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I'd appreciate it if you'd supply a simple guide to installing the newer roms, and just what the difference is in the install procedures .. if i understandi t correctly, it sounds like the newer ones no longer put their stuff in the webos media directory? is that correct? It seems a little bit difficult to figure it out if you haven't been paying attention, and want to go from a CM9 beta to a CM10.1 or CM11...
You can use this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=37965549

You need to use Acmeinstaller5 for a larger partition. Some of the newer ROMs from milaq use the data/media format which is the new directory system for Android. I stay away from those ROMs. Besides, anything above 4.2.2 is a little to unstable for daily use.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0