webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > ALPHA: Jellybean Android 4.2 for the HP TouchPad.
ALPHA: Jellybean Android 4.2 for the HP TouchPad.
  Reply
Like Tree2Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01/16/2013, 03:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 428
Well now were at Android 4.2.1. I love the continued support of our wonderful tablet.

This Build is also UNOFFICIAL!!!

Firstly I now have permission from ewalk4866 and leoisright from the Classic-nerd team to post the links of the versions from the thread... this only applies to me and whoever else gets permission from them.

Secondly, this is a Pre-Alpha and if you remember the original CM10 release then you will understand what rough means.Not!! Based on any previous CM builds. it is based of the Classicnerdrom which is based of off everlov but it is still Android 4.2.[/B] Also Install at your own risk!! I am not responsible for anything that may or may not go wrong.

Remember to all readers and people who wish to use this build is that it IS UNSTABLE and is a PRE ALPHA!!! and has not been properly refined yet so alot of it is still missing or lacking as it is not a direct update from Jcsullins CM10 and as such sense it is a newly complied build it will be considered rough.

How ever if you would like to use a more stable version of Jelly Bean with a fully working camera and mic then look here then look here on my other thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...-touchpad.html


If you would want an android build that is even more stable and very nearly finished and refined to the point of a daily driver then look here: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

Here are the builds for the 4.2 version of Jellybean.

Here is the original link: [ROM] [Classicnerd ICS / Pre Alpha JB 4.2.1] Butta HD [12-30-12] [kernel OC 1.512] - xda-developers

Follow that link for the files where the proper build files can be found.

This is the original post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1472892

The Build: http://www.mediafire.com/?g7bobgi0nuzdo8c#

The Gapps Package: Important you must flash this package as a new Gapps package the Jellybean Pacakage before this thats in 4.1 will not work!!! : http://www.mediafire.com/?aapd3n9wd5asmli

This is what's not working: Sound, Video, hardware acceleration, camera,sd card

This is what is working: Bluetooth, Wifi, haptic feedback

-Note: the wifi is kinda finicky.

DO NOT Post Links to The files as they will be removed from the thread!!!

It's important to note that this is based on Classic Nerd ICS which is based on everlov. This can be installed with ACME installer 3 which is located on my CM10 thread.

PT 2: I will be writing this portion for the JCsullins and Dmarble and will be separate from the Team Classicnerd builds and both will be updated when new updates will be shown.

This build is a 4.2.2 build and includes a few differences including some degree of hardware acceleration yet no bluetooth or camera yet.


Here is the long overdue update for the CM 10/10.1 builds of Jelly Bean for the HP Touch Pad. BE AWARE!! That the CM 10.1 builds of 4.2.2 are very much Pre-Alpha stuff and as such is only available through UNOFFICIAL NIGHTIES SO BE VERY CAUTIOUS WITH THE BUILDS.

Here is the CM 10.1 Unofficial Nightlies: http://goo.im/devs/milaq/tenderloin/cm-10.1 (Just download the latest builds).

(Remember to only use this GAPPS package with the 4.2.2 builds only it WILL NOT work for CM10 only CM10.1)!!!

Gapps for 10.1: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip

Here are the source threads for more help/ discussion on the ongoing projects.

Rootz Wiki: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/40107-rom.../#entry1130356

XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2213825

Remember that the same warnings from above count.
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.

Last edited by Ventus221; 08/18/2013 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Update the thread.
Ventus221 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by bahram likes this.
Thanked by bahram, juanmr2
Old 01/16/2013, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 428
Bump
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,612
why another jb thread when your other ones still active?
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 428
Well that's easy....it's a new version of Android...lol. I mean I understand it's not like a new version like 4.0 to 4.1 but I felt it was still required for this build. I mean 4.2 is a new full build.
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 03:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 428
Well...full in the meaning that we have a rough draft.
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,612
whats the changelog from the fully working previous jellybean to this one.

looks like a pointless update tbh, there isnt a single advantage over the previous fully working version i put on my sister/brother in laws touchpads, the so called new version breaks more things and adds nothing of use the other version couldnt do already, in fact most of the "new" features look cosmetic/animation related or just minor tweaks to the build.prop.

doesnt seem worthy of a version bump tbh or a new thread for a backward "update". Best leaving your other thread as the main thread, it at least has links for a better working setup for new people trying out android who will no doubt want something that fully works rather than partially.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<

Last edited by geekpeter; 01/17/2013 at 07:43 AM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,332
That's where reading and fully understanding the thread before you attempt to do something comes in You're right though, it isn't that much of an "update", but it's still an update.... a different version, and thus, a different thread.

I'll add ALPHA to the title, just so there's no confusion.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,612
could do with a link to his previous thread tbh, for any newbie whos hunting for android on their touchpads his other threads a better place to look as that set of builds in various posts actually fully work, whereas this ones got more not working but has minor changes joe average wont even notice.

its actually hard to pick apart whats actually new features in the list they provide seeing as many of the things listed are cosmetic, non issues or already worked on the previous version anyways.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Fisack23's Avatar
 
Posts: 671
I appreciate the work you are doing on keeping the Touchpad functional with these updates. I also appreciate that you clearly state this is ALPHA, and is not meant for the faint of heart! I'm sticking with CM9 for now (especially since the camera is working), but I look to move up when CM10 is more stable.

Again, thanks!
Fisack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 428
I appreciate the thanks but I only created the thread. The actual work for the cm builds and the classicnerd builds belong to those guys alone. So they deserve the credit haha not me lol
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 01:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
whats the changelog from the fully working previous jellybean to this one.

looks like a pointless update tbh, there isnt a single advantage over the previous fully working version i put on my sister/brother in laws touchpads, the so called new version breaks more things and adds nothing of use the other version couldnt do already, in fact most of the "new" features look cosmetic/animation related or just minor tweaks to the build.prop.

doesnt seem worthy of a version bump tbh or a new thread for a backward "update". Best leaving your other thread as the main thread, it at least has links for a better working setup for new people trying out android who will no doubt want something that fully works rather than partially.
Every time there's a minor version upgrade (minor as in after the first dot in version number) it seems most of the homebrew ROM projects out there restart with new code. It's usually because of a new kernel (I'm guessing) and API level. That means rewriting a lot of the modules so they would work correctly. 4.2 has less new features introduced than 4.1, but it's still a minor version upgrade. Not sure if you can do a comparison to the way Vistaus' first Isis build turned out. It's just the work that has to be done to get the new version running.

Going by your logic, work in progress shouldn't be released because they typically break more stuff before getting better. This thread clearly states itself as alpha, and has the second sentence reminding people this doesn't work very well. Any reasonable person would go for an alternative unless they were interested in testing/developing Android.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,612
technically every single CM build for 10 thats been posted is alpha, users who scout the forums tho want stuff that works, proper tech heads could find the crazy nightly alpha types themselves easily enough, but think of how many dont have a clue and blindly install anything thats posted then come to this very forum to ask questions just because they have a "touchpad".
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/17/2013, 01:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
I appreciate the work you are doing on keeping the Touchpad functional with these updates. I also appreciate that you clearly state this is ALPHA, and is not meant for the faint of heart! I'm sticking with CM9 for now (especially since the camera is working), but I look to move up when CM10 is more stable.

Again, thanks!
Ventus221's older cm10 post has mention of good versions that are just as stable and functional as cm9, the links/files i listed here for someone else who requested some assistance all work perfectly fine, i have those files installed on 2 other family members touchpads and my 2nd spare touchpad and they work just as well as cm9 did.

try here : http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ml#post3369706

the files i mention there will be just as functional and stable as most of the cm9 builds only difference your likely to note (at a glance) tho is a quicker ui when swiping left/right between homescreens.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
smooth3006's Avatar
 
Posts: 855
i never understood the point of putting android that barely works on a webos device. if you want an android tablet get a nexus 7. their cheap and work out of the box.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 02:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 428
I'm personally not going to argue the validity of my post. My point is that it may be Jellybean. But it a build that requires a separate version of Android as it is a separate version it's self so I feel that it makes sense to post a new thread. Every single thread about android is about new and unique builds of the OS, weather or not the fall under CM official or unofficial. The fact that this isn't CM does not change the fact that it is also a new version of Android. And as far as installing CM or buying a Nexus 7, we at the WebOS community like to get the most out of our devices and sure we could buy a new device but I feel what makes the touchpad besides the fact it was the only mainstreamed released WebOS tablet is that it can install different versions of Android and that appeals to the further unique nature of our platform outside the fact that it uses WebOs. It gives our device longevity and it makes it even more unique it can run more than one OS.
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 02:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
technically every single CM build for 10 thats been posted is alpha, users who scout the forums tho want stuff that works, proper tech heads could find the crazy nightly alpha types themselves easily enough, but think of how many dont have a clue and blindly install anything thats posted then come to this very forum to ask questions just because they have a "touchpad".
Attention to reading the post. I hope that most people will bother to read the first post instead of just clicking the link. It says clearly "It has the very bare working meaning Wifi and Bluetooth only." Other people's ignorance is no reason to deprecate a valid thread. And anyway, this isn't even CM, so why not give people alternatives? The same thread can still be used in the future when the ROM moves out of pre-alpha.

BTW, do you know anyone who blindly downloads and installs operating systems with no prior reading? Installing Android isn't like Windows or Linux where it's relatively straightforward. There's a real chance of bricking things if one's not careful.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
I'm personally not going to argue the validity of my post. My point is that it may be Jellybean. But it a build that requires a separate version of Android as it is a separate version it's self so I feel that it makes sense to post a new thread. Every single thread about android is about new and unique builds of the OS, weather or not the fall under CM official or unofficial. The fact that this isn't CM does not change the fact that it is also a new version of Android. And as far as installing CM or buying a Nexus 7, we at the WebOS community like to get the most out of our devices and sure we could buy a new device but I feel what makes the touchpad besides the fact it was the only mainstreamed released WebOS tablet is that it can install different versions of Android and that appeals to the further unique nature of our platform outside the fact that it uses WebOs. It gives our device longevity and it makes it even more unique it can run more than one OS.
no argument about wanting new stuff or several other of your points.

my own opinion tho is that surely no1 wants to blindly install something just because it has a bigger build number, surely you want something that works better than the previous version or does something the previous one did not do, or it fixes issues the previous version had.

again looking at the list of "features" on that alpha i cant see what it actually improves on over the previous version. if theres something it does and im not seeing it then i just need it listed so i can tell, then id be all over it.

a bigger version number tho shouldnt qualify as a reason to use it?

why is this version, alpha or not, better, i think thats my confusion atm.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 02:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,612
/confused
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 02:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Well people shouldn't automatically assume that just because the version number is higher it is in some way "better". It's not unheard of for software to remove features or introduce new bugs in later versions. (E.g. Windows ME vs Windows 98)

I'm not really getting your argument. Is there something wrong with the thread as is?
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 03:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
i never understood the point of putting android that barely works on a webos device. if you want an android tablet get a nexus 7. their cheap and work out of the box.
Android runs pretty well on TP, some builds works great. Also, Android extends TP functionality. And at last, you cant have webOS on Nexus7.
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0