webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > ALPHA: Jellybean Android 4.2 for the HP TouchPad.
ALPHA: Jellybean Android 4.2 for the HP TouchPad.
  Reply
Like Tree2Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01/17/2013, 03:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
smooth3006's Avatar
 
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Android runs pretty well on TP, some builds works great. Also, Android extends TP functionality. And at last, you cant have webOS on Nexus7.
oh really?

smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 03:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
smooth3006's Avatar
 
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Well people shouldn't automatically assume that just because the version number is higher it is in some way "better". It's not unheard of for software to remove features or introduce new bugs in later versions. (E.g. Windows ME vs Windows 98)

I'm not really getting your argument. Is there something wrong with the thread as is?
ill admit on my nexus 7 android 4.2 is laggy and i do not like it as much as 4.1.2.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 04:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 489
Ok...let me clarify...this is a whole newly compiled build...it is not based on ANY previous builds....it is completely self standing. to that end, no drivers, or hardware acceleration have yet to be implemented from previous builds. This is Pre-Alpha, that means it is virtually brand new and most likely the drivers will be transfered in the future. but it may not because this is not based on CM10, it is it's own compiled version of 4.2 based on AOKP open source code. So all the drivers will have to be built from scratch.
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 05:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
Ok...let me clarify...this is a whole newly compiled build...it is not based on ANY previous builds....it is completely self standing. to that end, no drivers, or hardware acceleration have yet to be implemented from previous builds. This is Pre-Alpha, that means it is virtually brand new and most likely the drivers will be transfered in the future. but it may not because this is not based on CM10, it is it's own compiled version of 4.2 based on AOKP open source code. So all the drivers will have to be built from scratch.
how about on threads like this then with new roms for android users that you at least link back to your older thread(s) for android version(s) you know works best for people who just want something that "just works".

just to avoid confusion simply because we have 2 divides of people who visit the android subsection on webosnations.

1) proper geeks that want to try the latest and greatest.
2) "normal" users who just want to install android and expect everything to work.

compound that with the fact within webosnations its a safe bet to guess your posts here are likely "most read" for info on android on the touchpad and the first to get read when doing a search on site, i just think your info on full or near to fully working android builds should get a mention with posts like this.

as gmman stated, higher number doesnt mean "best" but thats only common sense to some, theres still bound to be a high % of people who wont think that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Well people shouldn't automatically assume that just because the version number is higher it is in some way "better". It's not unheard of for software to remove features or introduce new bugs in later versions. (E.g. Windows ME vs Windows 98)

I'm not really getting your argument. Is there something wrong with the thread as is?
my argument is minor, basically what i said just above your quote, posts like this just need a mention of android builds that do actually work so people dont immedialy get the wrong idea and blindly install things they assume is going to work better for them in the long run.

do a search for "android jellybean" on webosnations and ALL the top posts are ones from Ventus, proper newbies are likely to just click the topmost one and blindly install whatever they find first.

i dont think im being a complete *** to just ask if all his posts can somehow be identified/filtered/named better, its why i asked if we needed another thread, give it time and well have several more threads for "new" builds? how does joe touchpad android user find the "right" set of roms hes after? its a similar issue i had looking for cm9/10 allwinner based roms for my chineese knockof tablets, the info is scattered all over the place in multiple places with several obsolete posts on multiple sites that cause issues down the line, with no "clear" place seemingly having all the right info at hand.

maybe a new "main/hub" thread we can get stickied that points to his other threads (or anyone elses if their current and up to date), for both stable/useable roms, bleeding edge testing roms and anything else that may arrive. There arent any stickies in the android subsection here, its likely hard for anyone new or even old to tell good info from bad/obsolete etc, theres a LOT to read through.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 05:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 489
Ok, I understand. Would you like me to properly edit it in then too my posts for clarification?
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 05:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 489
Updated
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 05:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
Updated
legend, cheers

still think you should get a main sticky for the android section tho for past/present/future posts, yours are the only ones that are current/up to date.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 05:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 489
Thank you that's very nice to say, I mean I just post for the sake of helping the community I really don't deserve that kind of accolade lol
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 06:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
patapoof's Avatar
 
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
Thank you that's very nice to say, I mean I just post for the sake of helping the community I really don't deserve that kind of accolade lol
go get yourself a bag of jellybeans...

cm9 on touchpad works really well and I have it on there to get my ip cameras to show ...their apps are mature and run well ..I wish there were such apps for touchpad & pre3 obviating the need for android

android mods for touchpad will extend the device's longevity...

so far, no such hope for the pre3 that I have seen...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 08:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 489
Everybody wishes we had that lol but we will in time.
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 01:01 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
i never understood the point of putting android that barely works on a webos device. if you want an android tablet get a nexus 7. their cheap and work out of the box.
But you can understand point of putting barely operational open webOS on Android device?
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 02:28 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
But you can understand point of putting barely operational open webOS on Android device?
what "should" open wenOS be installed on then?
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 02:42 AM   #33 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 489
Id'e say anything that is a nexus device also...guys keep it on track lol. Has anyone tried this yet?
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 12:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
 
HelloNNNewman's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,798
@OP.... The files you posted have been removed. The site you took them only allows a link to that original thread and not for a direct download mirror. Thanks
__________________



Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 01:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
what "should" open wenOS be installed on then?
it's not about webOS vs Android, I was talking about point of installing alpha builds on devices. If we are thrilled about pre alpha open webOS ports to Nexus, why would we question point of installing pre alpha Android builds on webOS devices?
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 01:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
yeah, really. That is open webOS.
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 01:35 PM   #37 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 489
Updated
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 01:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 489
Just so you guys know, im currently in the progress of getting said permission to do so im on IRC chat with one of them
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 02:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Ventus221's Avatar
 
Posts: 489
I'm talking with one of them finally and I will have an awnser tongiht.
__________________
Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Ventus221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 05:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
it's not about webOS vs Android, I was talking about point of installing alpha builds on devices. If we are thrilled about pre alpha open webOS ports to Nexus, why would we question point of installing pre alpha Android builds on webOS devices?
in the case of "being thrilled about pre-alpha open webOS" this should be obvious as it has no "native" device to install onto, so im not sure why its target device(s) are in question, it HAS to be android or whatever other devices are open enough to stuff open webOS into, we simply cant use a webOS device for it, as there are none to speak of and likely never will be any time soon(tm).
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0