webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Selling up :-(. . How to erase.
Selling up :-(. . How to erase.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 2 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman

Old 12/10/2012, 02:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Well .

This seems to be it finally. I am selling but want to clear the touchpad so that there is no personal information left.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have cm9 dual booted and would like to leave that on for the next lucky owner.

Ta in advance.

Paul
kremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Follow the directions in the following article and then perform a 'secure erase'. I would run the Doctor after that just to make triple sure.

How to uninstall Android from your TouchPad | webOS Nation

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

this would be so spooky if your one of the 3 ppl I ebay'd (and amazon'd) touchpads from last night

doctoring / full erase to defaults is the easy method ofc.

Last edited by geekpeter; 12/10/2012 at 04:05 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kremmen likes this.
Old 12/10/2012, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do a secure erase from webOS, and then use whatever Android recovery you're using to delete user data and cache.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kremmen and geekpeter like this.
Thanked By: kremmen
Old 12/10/2012, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Do a secure erase from webOS, and then use whatever Android recovery you're using to delete user data and cache.
Thanks to you and the other replies.

To boil this down to a simple thing ( as I am ).

I am assuming that if I do a secure erase from webOS this will not remove Android?

Assuming that to be correct I then need to look to CM9 and find the option to delete user data and cache (in settings I hope )

Paul
Old 12/10/2012, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

A secure erase for certain doesn't remove the Android partition, as not even Doctor removes it. And there isn't much chance for the bootloader to get overwritten since on-device wipes don't reinstall any part of the operating system. But... if you have patches and custom kernels, etc. on webOS, make sure to get rid of those first before erasing so the next owner don't get any troubles trying to use homebrews.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/10/2012, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I believe you need to uninstall Android first to remove that partition (someone correct me if I'm wrong - it's been a while), then you would want to secure erase and Doctor as I mentioned.

Old 12/10/2012, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I believe you need to uninstall Android first to remove that partition (someone correct me if I'm wrong - it's been a while), then you would want to secure erase and Doctor as I mentioned.
Though the OP doesn't want to remove Android?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremmen View Post
I have cm9 dual booted and would like to leave that on for the next lucky owner.
Old 12/10/2012, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
DOH... I read and reread the OP and that didn't sink in at all. LOL Thanks for pointing it out! duh.

Old 12/10/2012, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
A secure erase for certain doesn't remove the Android partition, as not even Doctor removes it. And there isn't much chance for the bootloader to get overwritten since on-device wipes don't reinstall any part of the operating system. But... if you have patches and custom kernels, etc. on webOS, make sure to get rid of those first before erasing so the next owner don't get any troubles trying to use homebrews.
Ok.
Looks like I am getting there. Umm how exactly should I remove custom kernals ?

Paul
Old 12/10/2012, 03:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you have installed an custom kernals (ie: warthog, uberkernal, etc...) you can uninstall them through Preware/installed apps

Thanked By: kremmen
Old 12/11/2012, 07:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
for someone paranoid about leaving personal info somewhere tho its still viable perhaps to just have tailor destroy the partition then just recreate it and install a fresh android install.

easier than remembering to delete a, b, c, x, y, z and at least you know its 100% sorted.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0