webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Moving up from Touchpad to Touchpad 4G
Moving up from Touchpad to Touchpad 4G

Old 11/26/2012, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have a Touchpad and I am dual booting on it between WebOS and CM9. (If there were just a Kindle client on webOS I would stay 100% on WebOS).

Right now I am managing with a Novatel MiFi to provide Internet Connectivity (Wif Fi is restricted at work) and I have a Bluetooth GPS on the car for navigation.

My question is: Would it be worthwile to upgrade to the Touchpad 4G and replace these external add ons?
Sometimes it takes a few minutes for the GPS to get a good lock. I like the fact that I can control and share connectivity with the MIFI.

How would it be like on the 4G? Is its GPS always connected, that I won't have to wait for a gps lock? Would I be able to control the amount of data I use direct from the Touchpad?

I would like to read your opinion on these issues.

Thanks
pepebuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure about Android + the 4G TP (isn't there a kindle app)

Does the 4G even have a GPS?

Pardon my lack of knowledge at the moment, but I do know that there is an app to monitor data use. (Netstat)
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

AFAIK, indeed there is a GPS on the 4G, at least according to gsmarena
Old 11/26/2012, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post
AFAIK, indeed there is a GPS on the 4G, at least according to gsmarena
Yes, the GPS works well on the TouchPad 4G. For the initial fix it can take a few minutes. However, after that, it gets a lock within a few seconds (presuming you are outside and can receive GPS signals). It is particularly nice if you are running Android GPS apps.

For more on the HP TouchPad 4G:
John
NewbyJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Kindle app is still in WebOS catalog. Still using it once in a while.

GPS works fine on 4g, as said only initial lock takes a while.
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

First, there is a Kindle app for webOS and I use it almost everyday but it does not have the capability to receive newspapers/magazine/blogs like a real Kindle.

I also have a 4G TouchPad with an AT&T sim and I find the speeds to be excellent. I don't know how to monitor data while in Android, but there is an app in webOS that tracks data and gives you visual warnings in the notifcation area at various usage intervals. Also loading LunaCE will break the data tracking app but there is a post in the forums that discusses how to fix the app to work again in LunaCE.

I do not think the GPS is always connected becuase when I open an app that uses the GPS it usually takes 30 to 45 seconds fully lock in.

Finally I have yet to make 4G and the camera work together in Android. There is a build with 4G support but is based on the official Cyanogenmod which does not have camera support do to a feature freeze. There is also an unofficial build of Cyanodenmod that supports the camera, but no one has added 4G support to that build yet.
yorxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

the OP is not in the US, which means the kindle app won't be in the app catalogue as the " beta" was only ever out in the US and Canada I believe. There are ways to get it of course, but not via their official catalogue.

I have a 4G and love it - use it constantly, decent speeds and the GPS is very handy. I have the CM9 build with 4G support on mine which works well. Also allows you to send texts direct from the device, as well as use whatsapp natively.

I'm also running LucaCE now and haven't run into any problems. I'd say if you can find one for a decent price its well worth picking up. Bear in mind unlocking is a bit of a nightmare (took me 2 months to find a way to do mine) but if you're on AT&T anyway you'll be fine.
Old 11/28/2012, 03:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
the OP is not in the US, which means the kindle app won't be in the app catalogue as the " beta" was only ever out in the US and Canada I believe. There are ways to get it of course, but not via their official catalogue.
It is in the New Zealand catalog, not sure about countries in Europe though.

Just occurred to me that you can look this up in the Preware catalog.
It mentions the following countries: US, AU, CA, HK, SG, NZ. Oddly enough no countries in Europe, but as said there are other ways to get it (e.g. try Preware).

Last edited by renater; 11/28/2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Added countries
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 04:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Funny think, I'd swear I wrote "Waze" and not "Kindle". Maybe it was the time of the post. Is any one working on a Waze client for WebOS?

JP

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0