webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > To Update or Not To Update?
To Update or Not To Update?

Old 11/15/2012, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

To Update or Not To Update ? That is the question.

I recently bought a HP TouchPad 16gb on eBay. I have now had it 2 days and I`m really amazed at both WEBOS and CM9. Both are working GREAT. When I`m booted to CM9 I get a message saying some software needs updating. The update is: CM-9-20121111-nightly-tenderloin.zip Do I really need to update? Everything is working just fine. HBO GO / Netflix / Amazon App Store / etc.

I read somewhere on the net before I received my TP that updates can some times cause problems. I know nothing about rooting tablets. Would the update be an automatic install?

Thanks for any info.

TankDonovan
tankdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just updated to the November 11th nightly. The process goes smoothly, and when it reboots after flashing, all my apps and home screen icons appear within a few minutes. I trust in the nightly (actually ~ once every 2 weeks) builds. That is of course until they fail me...

still no camera...

FWIW, I use goo manager
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
I just updated to the November 11th nightly. The process goes smoothly, and when it reboots after flashing, all my apps and home screen icons appear within a few minutes. I trust in the nightly (actually ~ once every 2 weeks) builds. That is of course until they fail me...

still no camera...

FWIW, I use goo manager
.Thanks, Mtiberio

the build I now have is cm-9-20120903-tenderloin.

So all I have to do is just hit download and it does an auto install?

Do you know what the new build does/adds?

Thanks

TankDonovan
Old 11/15/2012, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just upgraded with the goo manager app.. everything was completely automatic. I don't know anything about rooting, I just followed rev Kyles YouTube video originally. He said to use goo manager and so that's what I do lol
Anyway I don't know what's new, but nothing seems to be broken.
jemh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Again I really don't know anything but I found this while trying to figure out what the update did.

CM9 Nightlies Changelog - Tenderloin

Its the change log for each nightly build.. including the current one
Old 11/15/2012, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemh View Post
Again I really don't know anything but I found this while trying to figure out what the update did.

CM9 Nightlies Changelog - Tenderloin

Its the change log for each nightly build.. including the current one
Now that info is as clear as mud. LOL

Thanks for the info. I`ll probably update later on today.

I can say one thing I really like the TP and the dual boot[so far]. The best of both worlds. But, I have read some nightmare stories here about problems with the dual-boot. Maybe I`ll stay luckey.

TankDonovan
Old 11/15/2012, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

cm10 is nearly the new cm9!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11/16/2012, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdonovan View Post
Now that info is as clear as mud. LOL

Thanks for the info. I`ll probably update later on today.

I can say one thing I really like the TP and the dual boot[so far]. The best of both worlds. But, I have read some nightmare stories here about problems with the dual-boot. Maybe I`ll stay luckey.

TankDonovan

Haha I felt the same. Didn't have a clue what I was reading.

Good luck with your update. If you haven't heard of revkylejr (I think that's his username). His website and YouTube videos are great. Very informative and easy to understand. Geared specifically for the HP touchpad aka tenderloin.
Old 11/17/2012, 06:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

CM9 has working camera preview. CM10 is also very stable if clean install. Search android forum for posts on each
I don't use camera much and play with android for fun, so have switched to CM10. I always default boot to webOS for charging, and webOS is my main use for tp. But I am using cm10 for longer when I do switch to it. With google releasing 4.2 source code recently we will have CM10 updated from 4.1 to 4.2 soon.

My android phone is froyo 2.2.1 and only purchased 1 year ago with 2 year warranty and has never had manufacture update and I ,don't expect to have update. I am amazed how cyanomod community and individual devs can produce stable latest build of android for a device that was not designed to run it and create / hack working kernel drivers.

Last edited by Firepower; 11/17/2012 at 07:11 AM.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think I've royally screwed up. I had a perfectly fine working version of CM9 going, and I decided to play around with goo manager. Well, I must have done something wrong. Now, all I get is a boot TWRP fail. It says checking uimage...Invalid Magic.

I was thinking about doing a clean install of CM10. Is there a way to fix my issue, and if not, where do I get the ACMEUninstaller? It's not at any of the links I go to now.
bcumings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cm9, touchpad 16gb, update available

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0