webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Cyanagen Mod 9 killed my Touchpad!
Cyanagen Mod 9 killed my Touchpad!
Like Tree6Likes

Old 11/04/2012, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm after some help!
I have recently installed the cyanagen mod 9 android on my TP, I'm not great with computers but followed the instructions on the wiki page that i downloaded the files from

it worked for a day or so but since then the battery shows that it is completely drained. i can charge it from the plug using the HP charger that it came with and it starts. as soon as i unplug the TP the display shows zero charge and shuts down.

I can then only use the TP if I'm near a socket.

Icant plug it into my computer to change anything as the charge doesn't hold and it wont charge from the computer.

It sometimes gives me a boot option but i cant select anything and it boots to android.

It now wont start or give me any options on booting and i'm stuck with a shiny bit of black plastic!

Id appreciate any tips or ways out of this as its going out the window shortly!!
bes78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should be able to use the volume control buttons to navigate in the bootloader.
Good luck!
oholika is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/04/2012, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah as Oholika has said, When you get to the bootloader, Use the volume rocker until "boot webos" is highlighted then use the Home button (middle bottom of screen) to select to boot webos...Hopefully your TP should charge
con500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bes78 View Post
I'm after some help!
I have recently installed the cyanagen mod 9 android on my TP, I'm not great with computers but followed the instructions on the wiki page that i downloaded the files from

it worked for a day or so but since then the battery shows that it is completely drained. i can charge it from the plug using the HP charger that it came with and it starts. as soon as i unplug the TP the display shows zero charge and shuts down.

I can then only use the TP if I'm near a socket.

Icant plug it into my computer to change anything as the charge doesn't hold and it wont charge from the computer.

It sometimes gives me a boot option but i cant select anything and it boots to android.

It now wont start or give me any options on booting and i'm stuck with a shiny bit of black plastic!

Id appreciate any tips or ways out of this as its going out the window shortly!!
This was the way I lost my 3rd NOOK Color. I had to get the first two replaced because of screen malfunctions while reading outside. I just gave up on Android. I find it useless
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

ever sense i installed cm9 a while back the camera never has worked in webOS despite doctoring.... The disclaimers were there for a reason i guess
Old 11/04/2012, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

To be fair, in a real sense it killed them all.
astark is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/04/2012, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
ever sense i installed cm9 a while back the camera never has worked in webOS despite doctoring.... The disclaimers were there for a reason i guess
And then there's the guy whose magnetometer died (no screen rotation)...

I mean this is discouraging. Thanks for the warning i guess...I'm not gonna even bother trying Android now, not worth it. The Android users will just have to live with code tested on Windows in Chrome
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

A lot of people have had this happen. Including myself. It might just need a little more power to be able to get booted. I agree with everyone else in that you should get it into the boot loader and then get back to WebOS to charge up.

I don't think that CM9 has all the coding for power management. WebOs will shutdown after it reaches a certain non-zero battery state. CM9 however, can run you battery all the way down to zero. As such, if you get it back up and running, I wouldn't leave it in CM9 overnight and if you get low on your battery switch back to WebOS to charge it up. This has kept me from repeating the dead touchpad scenario again.
Lab_R4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by con500 and Wayne White2 like this.
Old 11/05/2012, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

cm9 has done nothing to my touchpad

vote for me for president

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

CM9 ain't touchin' my pad...
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

I haven't done cm9 yet (am on 7), but these issues don't deter me, tho I'm surprised a fix hasn't come yet. Vote for Jill stein for president, not me:-)
(Sales prices always less than ebay)
sanaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 10:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

CM9 has worked fine for me. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.
Old 11/05/2012, 10:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Weird, I guess I shouldn't've posted here, now my parents webOS touchpad won't charge! (I think I put cm9 on it, but its not been booted in forever, so def not the issue) I'm giving it the dual treatment now (touchstone+charger) few minutes so far no avail, I'll try other things tho I suppose
Old 11/05/2012, 11:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

I think that you might be one of the lucky few without no problem with CM9 on your device, a lot more people have reported problems with the installation and after that as well. More stories has surfaced(in the internet) about the charging problem with the TouchPad, don't know of the reason for that happening but it probably might have to do with software issue. It's sad because I always wanted to install Android on my TouchPad(it would definitely be more useful), but hearing these problems with the no charge.....Thank-You I will pass
Old 11/05/2012, 11:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

HP had to be aware of this problem of the dying touchpads due to full discharge. It seems to happen whether android (cm7-9) is installed or not, since it occurs on webos also. I mean surely some of the HP test models (pre release) would have have suffered the same fate (post TP release) but guess any product recall would have been pretty embarasing, to an already "critical Industry flop" (I don't agree) for HP. Maybe there's more to the bargain basement pricing than meets the eye lol...Also it doesn't seem to be a few random incidents either...This issue is widespread over the www. I am guessing here that those of us not "YET" affected have been cautious and not allowed the TP to fully drain very often.

I am more convinced it to be a software issue of not seeing or reading the battery chip correctly after a deep discharge, which then results in either a TP unable to gather enough juice to properly enter bootie to allow battery and software to communicate or a TP with the Question mark=brick..

However I did read of one guy who had the ? Mark on a fully charged battery, which also makes me wonder if it is a completely different issue. Perhaps this may be due to using non OEM chargers/cables

Ok now am confusing myself Pay no mind, am just musing things over

Last edited by con500; 11/06/2012 at 02:23 PM.
con500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 02:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

My TP has been good about shutting itself down. These days I usually keep it on the charger, but before I used to run it down all the time. Works every time.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by con500 likes this.
Old 11/06/2012, 03:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

just fwiw, but my parents did come back to life. The double-charging didn't seem to be helping so i just totally unplugged it, but next thing I knew, it was starting up and then i plugged it back in and it was charging normally. Weird. No complaint tho!
I'm glad con said it's not a CM issue,
Dr. Battery isn't optimized for the touchpad right? Even otherwise it might provide some interesting insight.. (err, mainly only in situations where the battery actually was charged i suppose, or if there was a way to get the app to log usage over time.. the calibration would be nice too, hmm..)
Old 11/06/2012, 12:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanaking View Post
just fwiw, but my parents did come back to life. The double-charging didn't seem to be helping so i just totally unplugged it, but next thing I knew, it was starting up and then i plugged it back in and it was charging normally. Weird. No complaint tho!
I'm glad con said it's not a CM issue,
Dr. Battery isn't optimized for the touchpad right? Even otherwise it might provide some interesting insight.. (err, mainly only in situations where the battery actually was charged i suppose, or if there was a way to get the app to log usage over time.. the calibration would be nice too, hmm..)
Dr Battery works fine on 2.x and 3.x devices, it just can't do the battery calibration part due to some change in something (can't remember specifically, but it has been posted about in the Dr Battery thread). So you can still check battery health and what not.

A couple things with CM, first most of the "issues" I've heard of are from people that weren't properly heading all warnings to begin with (for example, letting the device run all the way down in CM9, setting default boot to CM9, etc).

On all of our TP's right after installing CM9, the boot menu was set to default boot to webOS and boot wait time to 45 seconds. When we are not actively using CM9 we reboot back to webOS same deal with charging (unless we are still actively using CM9). So far, so good, this does remind me I need to charge my dev pad and shut it off from webOS since I finally put CM9 on my daily 32 gig.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2012, 03:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

A couple things with CM, first most of the "issues" I've heard of are from people that weren't properly heading all warnings to begin with (for example, letting the device run all the way down in CM9, setting default boot to CM9, etc).
This needed to be stated.

Also, you can look on the Touchpad Forum Page, and previous pages going back a year with the same issue dealing with webOS only touchpads having this issue.

It's not a CM issue. Also all android work is for those who understand and can deal with it's alpha status.
LinuxKoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2012, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
This needed to be stated.

Also, you can look on the Touchpad Forum Page, and previous pages going back a year with the same issue dealing with webOS only touchpads having this issue.

It's not a CM issue. Also all android work is for those who understand and can deal with it's alpha status.
I have seen far more claims of it with people using a CM build, I do agree I have seen people having the issue in webOS only devices

Either way I still think there is more too it as I just booted a Veer last night that hasn't been charged in a long while and it booted to 100% battery, same with my dev TouchPad that doesn't get used much.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0