webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Android: To dual boot or not..that is the question
Android: To dual boot or not..that is the question

Old 11/03/2012, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've been considering installing Android on my TP but remain unsure on what the most stable/reliable version is at the moment. I'd appreciate any wisdom on this along with the possible drawbacks to doing so would be. Thanks!

Last edited by FormFactor; 11/03/2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: correction to punctuation
FormFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

I recomend CM9 as it is very stable and the last of the missing features, camera support, is now working. CM10 is still in alpha and I'm not sure if anyone is doing any significant work on the project anymore. Unfortunatly CM9 went into a feature freeze before the camera was working, so I do not recomend the offical nightly builds, but an unofficial build from dorreygary which can be found here:

Goo.im Downloads - Downloading cm-9-20120926-UNOFFICIAL-cam-preview7-tenderloin.zip

I also recomend this guide for getting started:

HP Touchpad: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki

Finally you should post Android questions here as you will get better answers:

http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
yorxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

No issues, use the latest nightly build. you will be stunned how a set of hackers are able to pull this off which a mighty corporation HP cannot do ... keeping the touchpad alive and thriving
tabletrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 05:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

<thread moved>
Old 11/05/2012, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

said it before, I'll say it again, there is no going back once you dual boot. that is except to delete apps, patches and data in your webos rom to make more room on the device.

seriously, while webos has wonderful multi-tasking and running apps (card) interface, the lack of apps is abysmal, and I'll put up with the single tasking and crude (by webos standards) background process control in CM9. I don't really use the camera on my tablet, so the latest nightly build is fine (and quite stable) for me. xda-developers has a bunch of roms out there. someone has a card interface running, and someone else has multi-tasking running. Once they are together, android will not be missing anything...
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabletrus View Post
No issues, use the latest nightly build. you will be stunned how a set of hackers are able to pull this off which a mighty corporation HP cannot do ... keeping the touchpad alive and thriving
since when were HP responsible for making android for the touchpad?
Old 11/05/2012, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
said it before, I'll say it again, there is no going back once you dual boot. that is except to delete apps, patches and data in your webos rom to make more room on the device.

seriously, while webos has wonderful multi-tasking and running apps (card) interface, the lack of apps is abysmal, and I'll put up with the single tasking and crude (by webos standards) background process control in CM9. I don't really use the camera on my tablet, so the latest nightly build is fine (and quite stable) for me. xda-developers has a bunch of roms out there. someone has a card interface running, and someone else has multi-tasking running. Once they are together, android will not be missing anything...
nice, which android apps do you reccomend as "must have"?
Old 11/05/2012, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't find a need to switch to Android. I've tried Android (on a phone), and find myself going back to webOS frequently. The only thing preventing me from using my TP more is the lack of WiFi in the building I'm staying in (and they don't allow routers either). I'm not interested in getting the latest and most popular apps. I held out on Angry Birds until after the hubub died down. I find Android apps to be rife with advertising and paymium junk. It's like taking my money once isn't enough that they want to do it over and over again. And then I have to buy the apps again if I want it on a different platform. That's lame.

I create programs, and therefore am less dependant on consuming them. I'm reading an ebook on Mojo apps right now in preparation for an upcoming app. (Check my Twitter feed.) I find the openness of webOS aid development, and I get real tools to use. (On Android if you type a command that's not found it says "access denied". What is that supposed to mean?) Plus being able to change code on-device is handy.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post

I hadn't thought of it till you mentioned it but just how much room do CM7 & 9 take up when installed?
FormFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

It really depends on your needs and uses. Most of my productivity usage is spent in webOS, my time wasting usage is spent in CM9 on a few extra apps that don't exist on webOS. CM9 is nice to have, but default boot is set to webOS.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 12:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

just looking to play a few games, and watch netflix and hbo go, is CM9 a go for me?? or should I stick to my laptop, lol
ac921ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac921ol View Post
just looking to play a few games, and watch netflix and hbo go, is CM9 a go for me?? or should I stick to my laptop, lol
I would say it is.... I finally did it mainly for the adam carolla sports app (weekly football picks with prizes)

Let the wife play with it, and she got hooked on a couple time killer free games so I installed on the other daily use TPs. I now also have HBO Go, Xfinity, and ESPN apps installed.

Follow the instructions and install is easy and quick. I personally recommend setting up default boot to webOS to hopefully avoid the battery drain issue some folks have seen.

I will confirm that Android does seem to drain the battery much quicker than webOS (this was told to me when I first installed by Ryan that writes some of the front page articles). Also android reports a different available battery percentage than webOS. So just a couple things to keep an eye on, but overall it's cake and the reboot isn't too painful. The wife (being less into tech than me) hasn't had any problems with hers as well.

The other thing I did for both of us, was to setup new gmail account for the app store and overall CM9 use. This was mainly to minimize any potential spam stuff going to our main e-mails while messing around and learning the day to day use of Android.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/06/2012, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I would say it is.... I finally did it mainly for the adam carolla sports app (weekly football picks with prizes)

Let the wife play with it, and she got hooked on a couple time killer free games so I installed on the other daily use TPs. I now also have HBO Go, Xfinity, and ESPN apps installed.

I appreciate the input, Ill look in to it, if my preware is fully operational (meaning i didnt do the emergerncy patch remover before updating to 3.0.5 so I run in to muffle issues and the tap ripple and a few other ones) will this affect me installing CM9???
ac921ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Shouldn't have any affect on CM9 that I can think of.

If you go into Preware, update your installed package list, then run EPR (Emergency Patch Recovery) and it will clear up the issues you have then just reinstall patches.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0