Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By GMMan
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Hi,

I am planning to sell my HP TouchPad. Most buyers are expecting to have Android installed on it before I sell it to them. I had Android but uninstalled it to clear my data. Then I did a secure full erase in webOS and then did the webOS doctor to completely reset my TouchPad. Now when I power it on, it asks me to select the language, country, accept terms and conditions and then sign in or create a new account. Basically my Touchpad is reset to factory condition and is not set up yet.

Here is the issue. I want to copy those Android cminstall files to the Touchpad so that I can run ACMEInstaller2 and install Android on it. I dont want to sign in with my account or create a new account to setup webOS. Is there a way to do it? I see so many used Touchpads being sold and most of them mention that Android is installed already. Not sure how they are doing it...

Any help is greatly appreciated...
    Go into USB Recovery mode and boot from the installer ramdisk. Mount /dev/mapper/media-store to /media/internal, and use WOSQI to copy over the files. Then unmount, reboot back into USB Recovery mode, and run ACMEInstaller.

You know Linux commands, don't you? And lol, people expecting to get Android when buying a TouchPad. It's a webOS device, not an Android device.
    Sriman likes this.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Go into USB Recovery mode and boot from the installer ramdisk. Mount /dev/mapper/media-store to /media/internal, and use WOSQI to copy over the files. Then unmount, reboot back into USB Recovery mode, and run ACMEInstaller.

You know Linux commands, don't you? And lol, people expecting to get Android when buying a TouchPad. It's a webOS device, not an Android device.
    Thanks for your response GMMan. I know how to put the device into recovery mode... Couldnt find a way to boot from installer ramdisk even though I searched for it... I am not very familiar with Linux commands and dont know how to do the mount, map, unmount etc.. Had used Unix 12-14 years ago and dont remember much of that now... Would greatly appreciate step by step instructions... Thanks for your help...
    1. Download the files needed to install Android. Check around the forums for links to get them.
    2. Get webOS Doctor and extract installer ramdisk. See this post and follow steps 1 to 4.
    3. Put TouchPad in USB Recovery Mode: Hold Volume+ when turning on the TP.
    4. Open up a command prompt, and cd to the location where you extracted the ramdisk.
    5. Type this:
      Code:
      location\to\novacom.exe boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage
      where "location\to\novacom.exe" is the full path to novacom.exe. It's typically at C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom.exe on Windows. If you have the webOS SDK installed, just type "novacom" and it should work, providing PATH is set up to look in the right places. See here for more info on membooting.
    6. When the prompt returns and you see the HP logo on the TP's screen, shell in to the device with either WOSQI or novacom (you should know how to do that). WOSQI is easier, since you'll be using it later.
    7. Type at the device prompt:
      Code:
      mount /dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal
    8. Using WOSQI transfer the files over to the correct locations. There is a send file option in one of the menus. When you send the file do not append the file name to the destination field. Otherwise a new directory that is the same as the file name will be created, and the actual file saved under that directory.
    9. Type at the device prompt:
      Code:
      umount /media/internal
      and then:
      Code:
      tellbootie recovery
      You are already in USB Recovery mode, so load ACMEInstaller with the memboot command above, with necessary adjustments, and then follow whatever Android installation guide you're using.
    Sriman likes this.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    1. Download the files needed to install Android. Check around the forums for links to get them.
    2. Get webOS Doctor and extract installer ramdisk. See this post and follow steps 1 to 4.
    3. Put TouchPad in USB Recovery Mode: Hold Volume+ when turning on the TP.
    4. Open up a command prompt, and cd to the location where you extracted the ramdisk.
    5. Type this:
      Code:
      location\to\novacom.exe boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage
      where "location\to\novacom.exe" is the full path to novacom.exe. It's typically at C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom.exe on Windows. If you have the webOS SDK installed, just type "novacom" and it should work, providing PATH is set up to look in the right places. See here for more info on membooting.
    6. When the prompt returns and you see the HP logo on the TP's screen, shell in to the device with either WOSQI or novacom (you should know how to do that). WOSQI is easier, since you'll be using it later.
    7. Type at the device prompt:
      Code:
      mount /dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal
    8. Using WOSQI transfer the files over to the correct locations. There is a send file option in one of the menus. When you send the file do not append the file name to the destination field. Otherwise a new directory that is the same as the file name will be created, and the actual file saved under that directory.
    9. Type at the device prompt:
      Code:
      umount /media/internal
      and then:
      Code:
      tellbootie recovery
      You are already in USB Recovery mode, so load ACMEInstaller with the memboot command above, with necessary adjustments, and then follow whatever Android installation guide you're using.
    You sir, are a scholar... Thanks a lot.. Worked like a charm....
    would you please elaborate on, Using WOSQI transfer the files over to the correct locations.
    I don't know the proper locations as i have installed Android to HP touch pad through the cminstall file method.
    Pretend on Windows you have a F:\ drive. If you are putting a file "file.bin" in the F:\ drive, then under webOS it would be in /media/internal/file.bin. Follow that logic.

(to proper forum)
    We know a lot of you aren't interested in Android, let alone considering installing it on your precious TouchPad. That's fine, this guide isn't for you. There are plenty of TouchPad owners who are and they have plenty of legitimate reasons to do so.To see what all the fuss is about widgets, or merely for the novelty factor of installing a second operating system on a TouchPad, there are reasons to do it.