Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
Results 221 to 240 of 240
Like Tree34Likes
  1. #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    a lot of "android builds" actually modify very little, think of the patches we have thanks to preware, we can do allsorts with a small patch (were pretty spoiled and lucky when compared to android tbh), the same things on android tend to require either (if lucky) a change to build.prop or need a whole new build to be flashed.

    with regards to wifi, i think i'd read some issues were fixed by changing a simple build.prop value to a higher number which sucked more battery but had some useful benefit.

    there are numerous sites that have supposed usedful changes to build.prop which may or may not be of use depending on the version of android and whos build it is, could be worth a try tho.

    heres just a few.

    build.prop tweaks for all !!!! - xda-developers
    How to Tweak Your Samsung Galaxy S3's Performance with These "Build.prop" Android Hacks Samsung GS3 softModder
    Build.prop Performance Tweaks - Updated 04.14.2012 - Android Forums

    bound to be far better sites with better explanations but most have the same "tweaks" even if the explanations given are different/wrong/inaccurate.

    there are other simple tweaks which supposedly "speed" things up such as the windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec setting (depending on what you read that ones not worth setting above 60-90).

    Examining build.prop tweaks for Android ICS: A comprehensive guide (Part 1) | Jeff Mixon
    part1 and 2 are/were worth a good read as well.
    geekpeter, thanks! I applied the wifi tweak, rebooted, cleared my cache and Davlik cache. I haven't noticed a major improvement but it is nice to see someone realize that the problem is real and offer a solution. Usually don't get much but bickering and ignoring that problems exist from other Android users who show up here. I have some additional problems with USB mass storage (not working), a bug with the task manager, and a bug with Spotify autostarting after a reboot that I have posted in Rootzwiki for help.

    CM10.1 is very nice. Way better than CM7-10. It actually feels like a tablet OS (finally!). Definitely a step in the right direction if I'm every going to feel comfortable leaving webOS on my Touchpad. It is also very stable despite the few bugs I found. Only wish it had gestures like LunaCE and a decent keyboard app that didn't make me want to chuck it across the room (I'm using A.I. Type themed to look like the webOS keyboard with the popup on keypress turned off).
    Last edited by k4ever; 08/28/2013 at 01:56 PM.
  2. #222  
    the version of CM10 i use is from just before crimbo 2012, so im not sure if newer builds have MTP as well as normal USB Mass storage but i'd heard its best to disable MTP if present, maybe turn off USB debugging temporarily to see if that has any effect

    Also if running a windows machine and you often plug/unplug various different devices in the same port(s) you can enter device manager and select then press delete on yor USB hub's, deleting them but not removing drivers, which can sometimes force some misbehaving usb devices to behave again (ive had several old usb2 HDD's and some cameras require this on a laptop and pc)

    I know some "proper" android devices are trying to forgo regular mass storage in favor of MTP which imho sucks as its never worked for me once so far.

    if the device does unfortunatly show up as an MTP device on your winblows device manager, you can "update driver" and try manually changing the driver to "usb mass storage", and see if winblows and android play ball.

    dunno your details exactly but tbh it could be allsorts on either side of that usb cable.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3. #223  
    I installed Schizoid JB 4.2.2 (dated 8/21). It's pretty good but not without issues. However, quite usable but not as stable as the ICS alpha I had for over a year.

    Anyway, I have stupid questions.

    I had somehow disabled/hid the tablet bar (the notification/clock bar) at the bottom of the screen so it's no longer visible. I looked everywhere and cannot figure out how to get it back. The tablet bar I'm referring to is what's mentioned in this link just to be clear: android - Hide Tablet system bar - Stack Overflow

    I don't see the 3-dot for settings/config in most of my apps so I can't mess with the settings. How do I make them appear? Again, I looked everywhere and can't find a way to do it.

    I see this floating circular notification bubble overlaid on top of the screen. It's supposed to be unobtrusive and tucked away to the very left so you only see a portion of the bubble unless you drag it to full view. How do I disable/hide this?

    I'm running Nova Launcher Prime if that makes a difference.

    Thanks!
  4. #224  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I installed Schizoid JB 4.2.2 (dated 8/21). It's pretty good but not without issues. However, quite usable but not as stable as the ICS alpha I had for over a year.

    Anyway, I have stupid questions.

    I had somehow disabled/hid the tablet bar (the notification/clock bar) at the bottom of the screen so it's no longer visible. I looked everywhere and cannot figure out how to get it back. The tablet bar I'm referring to is what's mentioned in this link just to be clear: android - Hide Tablet system bar - Stack Overflow

    I don't see the 3-dot for settings/config in most of my apps so I can't mess with the settings. How do I make them appear? Again, I looked everywhere and can't find a way to do it.

    I see this floating circular notification bubble overlaid on top of the screen. It's supposed to be unobtrusive and tucked away to the very left so you only see a portion of the bubble unless you drag it to full view. How do I disable/hide this?

    I'm running Nova Launcher Prime if that makes a difference.

    Thanks!
    Maybe your running the newish "expanded desktop" mode some android setups are sporting, in which case hold your power buttin for the menu that pops up and deselect expanded desktop, i would imagine if using newer roms that the expanded desktop is the more likely cause of your missing status bar.

    if not the above then you can try removing that launcher and using another to see if the issue was/is with the launcher, and if its not the launchers fault did you maybe mess with your devices DPI setting, if its set to a high one it may think your device is a phone with hardware keys so would hide the bar, if its set to phablet or tablet you typically get your bar back.

    160 is default dpi for touchpad in tablet mode.
    240 ish is around what most call phablet default (any device i use as phablet such as a large phone i use 213)
    320 is typically "phone" size

    check /system/build.prop with a file manager then just edit the file and look for ro.sf.lcd_density=, make sure before saving that the text editor the file manager opens saves the file with linux formatting instead of winblows.

    hmm beyond that i can think of anything else off he top of my head atm, maybe rule out any of the above first.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  5. #225  
    I should've read the first page of the JB thread on XDA

    Says:

    What doesn't [work]
    Bluetooth
    Navigation bar hybrid settings in Tablet mode don't work (Use phablet or phone interface mode to set them, then switch back to tablet)

    I think the ICS alpha I've had prior to JB was a lot more stable. Well, will get better with time I suppose
  6. #226  
    i have a dumb question:
    it seems the android half of my touchpad only allocated about 1.5 gb of memory to the storage of apps, which means i'm always getting insufficient storage notices and having trouble downloading more apps. is this because of the cyanogen installation, or is this just an android thing? is there a way for me to allocate more storage space for apps?
  7. #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spliff View Post
    i have a dumb question:
    it seems the android half of my touchpad only allocated about 1.5 gb of memory to the storage of apps, which means i'm always getting insufficient storage notices and having trouble downloading more apps. is this because of the cyanogen installation, or is this just an android thing? is there a way for me to allocate more storage space for apps?
    goto settings/apps, and click apps that are rather large, if you now "move to sd-card" the app will be moved to the webOS partition, thus freeing the android partition space and still letting you use your app perfectly fine.

    the webOS partition is considered an external SD-Card by android/CM, which is just as well or there would be far too many seperate partitions sucking space for themselves.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Spaceman Spliff likes this.
  8. #228  
  9. #229  
    After installing 10.2 with JB 4.3, the installed apps can't be moved to emulated sd card. Is enlarging the media size the only way to have more apps in this version?
  10. #230  
    it would be simpler to choose a cm build that can move rather than create an insane sized android only partition.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  11. #231  
    guess i have to reflash the cwm and stay with 4.2.2.
  12. #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFF Stough View Post
    guess i have to reflash the cwm and stay with 4.2.2.
    I think what geekpeter is saying is that it may just be an issue with the particular build of CM 10.2 (JB 4.3) you're using, not with that version of android as a whole. Try flashing a more recent build of CM 10.2 if available, or else try a slightly older one.
  13. #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
    i flashed with jscullins 10.1 dated 08/08. But I can't seem to get flash to work reliably. I went onto Adobe site, downloaded the latest for Android mobile. Is that the right one? Then I clicked install or open.

    Youtube vids show ok on Stock browser and the dolphin browser from the amazon store.
    But The Daily show or clicking on videos on nbc news only shows a green arrow in the middle of where the video should be. Clicking the green arrow gives me a black box. (nbcnews at least gives audio but no picture).

    I have gotten netflix to work. Camera works also. I signed out of amazon store and apparently it is now tied to all the apps because none of them work now. I did not install google store because all i need is netflix and a browser that does flash.

    Ironically, dead Playbook works better with flash, has an adblocker too and is more responsive to taps.
  14. #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAdvisors View Post
    I think what geekpeter is saying is that it may just be an issue with the particular build of CM 10.2 (JB 4.3) you're using, not with that version of android as a whole. Try flashing a more recent build of CM 10.2 if available, or else try a slightly older one.
    Thanks for the attention, I understand what Geekpeter is pointing at. So last night I just rolled back to CM10.1 with JB 4.2.2. Gladly I still have the backup stored in my hackmac.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  15. #235  
    It's been a long time since anyone added anything to this thread but being a sticky thread, it really needs an update for people coming here interested in CM10 or later.

    I've been running CM9 for a long time and finally decided to make the move to CM 10. I ultimately made the move to CM11 since many were talking about great results with it. I used the TPToolBox utility and I can't believe how much easier than it was when I installed CM9. I previously dual-booted but since it's been eons since I actually booted into WebOS, I decided to do the "Complete Data Reset" first, which wipes out the WebOS and prior Android installs and lets you start clean, and then chose not to reinstall WebOS. After than I followed the instructions for installing Android and it was a piece of cake.

    I did use Nandroid to backup my CM9 install first, but I haven't bothered to try and restore the app data since the only apps whose data I cared about seem to have it on the cloud anyway.

    The TPToolKit can be used to install many different Android versions. I installed CyanogenMod 11 by Jcsullins. CM11 is working really well other than occasionally the sound gets a little funny. It seems to correct itself in a minute or two though so I'm not to concerned. I haven't tested everything and I've only been running it a day so it's possible I'll find problems, but I couldn't be more pleased with how easy the installation was.

    Edit: Re-reading my own post, I just realized I installed CM11 vs CM10 which I was after. I didn't even think about it when I did it. I was upgrading from 9 and didn't even pay attention to the fact that was jumping two releases. Sheesh... I need to lay off the Bloody Mary's in the morning. In any event, I edited my comments above to be more clear and I'm leaving the comment in this thread since there's no sticky for CM11/KitKat anyway and there's really no reason *not* to go to CM11 if you're going to do an Android install.
    Last edited by ALuckyGuy; 02/06/2015 at 10:06 AM.
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by ALuckyGuy View Post
    It's been a long time since anyone added anything to this thread but being a sticky thread, it really needs an update for people coming here interested in CM10 or later.

    I've been running CM9 for a long time and finally decided to make the move to CM 10. I ultimately made the move to CM11 since many were talking about great results with it. I used the TPToolBox utility and I can't believe how much easier than it was when I installed CM9. I previously dual-booted but since it's been eons since I actually booted into WebOS, I decided to do the "Complete Data Reset" first, which wipes out the WebOS and prior Android installs and lets you start clean, and then chose not to reinstall WebOS. After than I followed the instructions for installing Android and it was a piece of cake.

    I did use Nandroid to backup my CM9 install first, but I haven't bothered to try and restore the app data since the only apps whose data I cared about seem to have it on the cloud anyway.

    The TPToolKit can be used to install many different Android versions. I installed CyanogenMod 11 by Jcsullins. CM11 is working really well other than occasionally the sound gets a little funny. It seems to correct itself in a minute or two though so I'm not to concerned. I haven't tested everything and I've only been running it a day so it's possible I'll find problems, but I couldn't be more pleased with how easy the installation was.

    Edit: Re-reading my own post, I just realized I installed CM11 vs CM10 which I was after. I didn't even think about it when I did it. I was upgrading from 9 and didn't even pay attention to the fact that was jumping two releases. Sheesh... I need to lay off the Bloody Mary's in the morning. In any event, I edited my comments above to be more clear and I'm leaving the comment in this thread since there's no sticky for CM11/KitKat anyway and there's really no reason *not* to go to CM11 if you're going to do an Android install.
    I have been trying to get android on my tp with no luck. When I download the 3 files needed from numerous sites it tells me they are not compatible. Can you please point me to a set of working files to get this tp working again. Would love to get CM11 working thank you in advance
  17. #237  
    HI

    I haven't been on this board for quite a while and I need some direction on how to safely and properly upgrade to CM10. I bought an original TP and successfully changed it over to Android. I kept updating the cyangenmod files but now I went to see if there was anything posted recently and the last "tenderloin" was dated 09/2013 which is what I have installed now. So I guess the most logical progression is to upgrade.

    Can someone direct me to the easiest to follow procedures to remove CM9 and replace it with CM10. The original sticky on this board had really great step by step instructions on how to install but I cant seem to find the same easy to use steps for CM10.

    Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

    Thank you
  18. #238  
    Can you clarify what you want to do? You said safely upgrade, but then said remove cm9 and install cm10. Do you want to keep the data you have or wipe it and start over? Also do you still have and want to keep webOS on it? I recently got a TP that had cm9 or cm10 on it, and I used TouchPad Toolbox to wipe the device and install the cm11, which is pretty stable on it, using the instructions in the xda thread. I believe I had to download the cm11 image using a link from that thread, or it might have been a different thread for cm11.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  19. #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Can you clarify what you want to do? You said safely upgrade, but then said remove cm9 and install cm10. Do you want to keep the data you have or wipe it and start over? Also do you still have and want to keep webOS on it? I recently got a TP that had cm9 or cm10 on it, and I used TouchPad Toolbox to wipe the device and install the cm11, which is pretty stable on it, using the instructions in the xda thread. I believe I had to download the cm11 image using a link from that thread, or it might have been a different thread for cm11.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Thanks for the reply. I believe that I want to eliminate as much WebOS as I can so I can free up more memory. I only have a 16g model. I want to be able to put on the most stable but also most up to date Android as well. So I want the best of both worlds there. After posting I did find a thread that was made by jscullins? for CM11 using TPtoolbox. What I have read seems to be pretty easy to follow.
  20. #240  
    That is what I used. It was very easy. I think I might have followed along with a YouTube video showing the process.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Posting Permissions