Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    ... not quite to the dark side (iPad), but rather added CM9 to my TouchPad. I am not as technically savvy as most, so I shied away from creating the dual-boot, even though the instructions seemed pretty straightforward. But the growing annoyance of the daily reboot, I figured if I was going to do a full system backup and restore I may as well add Android.

The process was straightforward and luckily, I didn't have any problems. I have an Android phone (HTC Thunderbolt, still running GingerBread), so some of the operations are familiar (but Ice Cream Sandwich seems a cleaner interface and better suited to tablets). I've used it less than a day, but early thoughts:

True multi-tasking with WebOS is still the main strength of WebOS. Its a shame the only app that really takes advantage of this is Glimpse, but even flicking in between apps is faster and neater on the WebOS TP.

The WebOS browser is nice in that it defaults to a full version of web sites versus the mobile version. I hate mobile versions and have since my very first "feature" phone and later BlackBerry. Its a ten inch screen, show the darn page the way it looks on my 11" laptop screen!!!

The WebOS default showing Flash enable sites is a slight advantage. ICS allows Flash and you have can control the use of Flash. Limiting Flash on the Android TP and the browser is way faster than on the WebOS TP. Even with Flash enabled the Android version is a bit faster. But the major advantage... you can use third-party browsers (eg Dolphin, and now with ICS Chrome. This should be a growing benefit as web sites that work only with specific browsers (eg frontrowsports). I could ocasionally watch streaming games on the WebOS TP, but many times it would crash and say "unsupported browser").

Access to apps. I have relatively few needs with the tablet, so I probably could have gotten by with the apps available on the WebOS TP, but there are a few apps for work that are clearly missing. For example, collab apps like Webex screams out for tablet use... you go to most meetings and folks pull out their iPads so they can work on email and other activities while the web meeting is happening on the other. The Webex app on the Android phone is great (even tells you who is peaking) but the screen is small and you can't easily see presentation slides. using the TP to do such calls will be a big productivity gain. To be fair... the current version of CM9 won't allow you to use Webex since the camera doesn't seem to work, but I am pretty sure that problem will be resolved sooner than a Webex app appears on WebOS. Then add in all the less important apps... NetFlix just seems to work without a hitch. I don't have HBOGo anymore, but I suspect it works on the CM9 TP without a hitch (it worked on the WebOS... but intermittent problems). One odd thing... no PvZ on either platform. :-)

Customization/personalization. I am someone that likes things that just work. So the WebOS version is fine with me. Heck, the iPAD is that in spades... it just works. And I am actually a bit overwhelmed with the different launchers, wallpapers, themes, and widgets available on the Android TP. I am still noodling to get it just the way I like it. But I can easily see how those that like to noodle would like the Android approach. just looking at all of the great screen captures people have done to make their Android tablet (or phone) "theirs" is almost inspiring. Hopefully I land on something that is both clean and unique.

So what's better? Neither. Or both. The debate on "which tool" is better always seems pointless to me... since who uses and how is always different. And in this case, I get to use both. Sorry for the ramble.
    Re: "Sorry for the ramble."

It's not a ramble. Actually, you made some good points. I too, have stayed with WebOS without installing Android. Much for the same reason...I just want things to work. Eventually, I may install ICS, especially if I have to Doctor, but that hasn't happened yet. I think the only reason I would dual boot would be to take advantage of some Android-only apps.

For now, I purchased a $50 Android tablet that lets me run the apps I like (IP Cam Viewer & a police & fire scanner app). I'm not really an "app hound". I only have a handful installed on each. The rest of my family members are a different story. Their TP's have screen after screen of apps.

Approx how long did it take you to install ICS?
    Soorma likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by UbuntuIsGreat View Post

I probably took much longer than most since I made sure to understand and follow each step. I also watched a YouTube and read two web pages of instructions before starting. But even then, it took less than an hour. You basically download a few files (some zipped, some not) onto your PC, you connect your TP to your PC, you transfer the files over to the TP, and you run the install. Once the install starts you hold your breath as the OS is compiled and the script occasionally stops for a few minutes at places but the videos and instructions are very complete. What is a nice surprise is how responsive the touch screen is and how well the HW works. Even the auto correct seems to be a bit better on the Android (though I think I prefer the WebOS keyboard).
    just for some random info to a few posters above: you dont have to wait for a doctoring of your device before you may wish to test out android, just use the excelent app "Tailor" and you can resize your touchpads partition and add a partition required by CM9 without losign anything you have right now, provided you have the space ofc, it doesnt destroy anything (provided nothing out of the ordinary happens, struck by lightning, dropped into a bowl of soup, full loss of battery power etc) if you have room.

Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing

pretty much all the pre-install partition instructions (faffing with terminal commands etc) for CM7/9 can be ignored, and in their place, use tailor to get the desired results, instead you just have to know how to use tailor and read its documentation fully.

if you dont know or cant get it in your head how to operate Tailor, then yeah best to stick to the long winded and well documented methods, but if you can do it, its miles faster, removing android and getting back your space to webOS is equally as easy.
    I have duel booted, was not that hard and I have to say works great for me. Use webOS for a lot of things but can do the CM-9 when need the apps i want to use. Also dont lose the wi-fi connection with CM-9 like i do sometimes with webOS
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i only like 2 things about cm9. the superior web browser, and more options when it comes to apps. webOS still has superior multitasking, and just the whole ui is vastly superior in every aspect compared to android. its a real shame webOs died the way it did and wont ever see mass market usage, b/c it was really ahead of its time in some aspects.

ps. if anyone is having issues with cm9 web browser displaying mobile versions of sites, try dolphin hd https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yBrowser&hl=en there is a setting in dolhpin to allow display full websites by default.
    <thread moved>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I'm glad people are moving on. Nothing of OUR Palm is left, except for webOS. I hope it survives and I have my Pre3 and TouchPad at the ready but if people want to move on, I am glad for their choices. I hope you like CM9 as much as I do (dual-boot though, I really enjoy webOS too).
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by UbuntuIsGreat View Post

It's not a ramble. Actually, you made some good points. I too, have stayed with WebOS without installing Android. Much for the same reason...I just want things to work. Eventually, I may install ICS, especially if I have to Doctor, but that hasn't happened yet. I think the only reason I would dual boot would be to take advantage of some Android-only apps.

For now, I purchased a $50 Android tablet that lets me run the apps I like (IP Cam Viewer & a police & fire scanner app). I'm not really an "app hound". I only have a handful installed on each. The rest of my family members are a different story. Their TP's have screen after screen of apps.

UbuntulsGreat, it is not very hard at all to dual-boot Android. You should do it for max usage of your TP!
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    I've been dual booting since the first cm7 and can't go back to webos now because the slow speed is really annoying. I really do hope that when the open source version of webos goes live it has some major speed enhancements and it is made available to touchpad owners.
    Touchpad Handbrake Video Settings:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html

My collection of backgrounds for WebOS:
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Wallpapers/
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for moving this thread to the correct place. A couple of things I have found since making the move:

Really happy that using the TouchStone still works great for recharging. In fact, I like that some limited "Exhibition" continues to work; once on the TouchStone, a simple digital clock appears and since its in my bedroom, I like that the clock numbers are both larger and dims to a comfortable level... with the WebOS it always seemed too bright (I am sure there was a setting that allowed me to dim... just never thought to look).

Love having Android notifications. I haven't succeeded in getting the notifications to turn off between selected hours so I manually turn off the sound when I go to bed.

I was a bit overwhelmed with the launchers, tried the stock one, then GO Launcher, then ADW, and I have seemed to have landed on Apex. I really like using the email inbox widget that shows my last two emails in the inbox. Also using a weather widget with clock. And an active wallwaper with colored lines running through ona simple patterned background. I may play with more personalized look, maybe with one of my own photos as a background. But not much of a noodler, and I like the current look. I have multiple screens, with apps grouped (eg games, social media, main screen). I have seen screenshots where people have labled their screens, which is something I'd really like to figure out and do.

Battery life. I thought the TouchPad with WebOS was trailing iPad. The Android version trails even farther behind. I know the aforementioned live wallpaper contributes to the fast battery discharge, and I know I should go to a static wallpaper. But so far re-charging daily hasn't been a hassle (i do so for my HTC Thunderbolt anyway).

Keyboards. I miss the WebOS keyboard. I did have early problems with WebOS autocorrect, and the Android autocorrect is way better. WebOS keyboard has a better layout (number keys across the top, arrow keys, dedicated keyboard key that helps when entering log-in info). Of the things I miss most, oddly its the dedicated keyboard key. I may take a look at some of the alternatives (Swiftkey, Hackers). You can hit a down arrow that takes the keyboard away but prefer one that allows you to close AND open the keyboard.

Apps. When I used WebOS I convinced myself that the apps offered satisfied my needs. Now that I have an Android tablet, I see how wrong I was. Still areas where apps are missing or need to be improved (more stable), but access to the apps via Play Store is growing in importance as a difference and benefit.

Multitasking. Still THE strong advantage of WebOS. Miss flipping cards, and Glimpse is by far the coolest WebOS app to show off trie multi-tasking. Opening and closing apps seems like a step back.

Camera. Hope they someday figure out a fix. Even though the TouchPad's hardware is limited (front facing camera only) it would be great to get the camera working for collab applications. Funny thing... you'd be amazed how many parents I see using their iPads to film their kids' basketball games. Who'd have thunk?
    When people say that Android does true multitasking, i ran into a problem the other day that shows it does not.
    I was writing a comment in facebook when i wanted to check some info. So i backgrounded the app and open the browser to do a query. when i came back to the facebook app, it went back to the main comment screen erasing what i had written so far. That was something i will miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrusuelas View Post
    Thanks for moving this thread to the correct place. A couple of things I have found since making the move:

Keyboards. I miss the WebOS keyboard. I did have early problems with WebOS autocorrect, and the Android autocorrect is way better. WebOS keyboard has a better layout (number keys across the top, arrow keys, dedicated keyboard key that helps when entering log-in info). Of the things I miss most, oddly its the dedicated keyboard key. I may take a look at some of the alternatives (Swiftkey, Hackers). You can hit a down arrow that takes the keyboard away but prefer one that allows you to close AND open the keyboard.
    With Hacker's Keyboard: enable permanent notification in settings. This will let you open the keyboard whenever you want.

If you open the keyboard while on the homescreen and start typing, it opens up the search app.

Screenshot: http://db.tt/ikCEjYkU
  14.    #14  
    One other improvement that I just noticed... I don't seem to have the light bleed on the edge that I used to.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I'm so used to the faults of the TP that I can't even think of what I am missing. Not very needy when it comes to using a tablet. Never played with an ipad or Android tablet. Now that I installed CM9, all I can think of installing are the same apps from webOS. Zinio is nicer but I can't even install Zite!!

I need to use it more and give Dolphin a try. If I played games I'm sure I would appreciate CM9 more. What are some other apps I should try?
    Last edited by hangten10; 09/23/2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Since I installed CM9, I have not booted back into webOS. Sorry, but the lure of a populated app store is too great. That and netflix... catching up on old movies and star treks...

if only I could get live streaming from speed2.com working...
    After read the title, came in my mind: "50 Shades Of Grey"!

I have 5 Androdevices and; after all, I continue loving webOS.

So, I gonna leave the Touchpad free of Android... change the devices, change the versions but the source is the same, something that I really don't like...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Pulse News is probably your best Zite replacement. It is actually a bit better actually. I went back to webOS and wish Pulse was available. But Zite does work.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    just for some random info to a few posters above: you dont have to wait for a doctoring of your device before you may wish to test out android, just use the excelent app "Tailor" and you can resize your touchpads partition and add a partition required by CM9 without losign anything you have right now, provided you have the space ofc, it doesnt destroy anything (<i>provided nothing out of the ordinary happens, struck by lightning, dropped into a bowl of soup, full loss of battery power etc</i>) if you have room.<br />
    <br />
    Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing<br />
    <br />
    pretty much all the pre-install partition instructions (<i>faffing with terminal commands etc</i>) for CM7/9 can be ignored, and in their place, use tailor to get the desired results, instead you just have to know how to use tailor and read its documentation fully.<br />
    <br />
    if you dont know or cant get it in your head how to operate Tailor, then yeah best to stick to the long winded and well documented methods, but if you can do it, its miles faster, removing android and getting back your space to webOS is equally as easy.
    The CM9 installer does a correct repartitioning for you, no need for Tailor.

Tailor is still the best way to remove those partitions.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Pulse News is probably your best Zite replacement. It is actually a bit better actually. I went back to webOS and wish Pulse was available. But Zite does work.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm of the opposite opinion. I used Pulse News on my old 7 inch Android tablet and thought it was great. Begged and pleaded with them to make a webOS version for the TouchPad. That didn't happen and their website version doesn't work that well on the TouchPad either. I am a little jaded with them. I will admit that.

I started using Zite in webOS and completely forgot about Pulse. Pulse allows you to configure which individual feeds you want to see. It is like a very visual RSS reader. Problem is that what you configure is all you get. Zite has you pick categories. It then grabs stories from multiple sites based on the category. I was able to discover news sources on Zite that I would have never known existed if I had only used Pulse. If you don't like the news coming from a particular site in Zite, you can unlike them. I think Zite's interface is cleaner also.

That being said, when I recently switched back to an Android phone, the first thing I downloaded was Pulse. I used it for a few minutes, then decided to download Zite. Been using it on the phone ever since. Darn shame that Zite doesn't work with CM9 on the TouchPad. However, it is no biggie to me. I can still boot into webOS and us it there.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast