Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jophiel
  1. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
       #1  
    I've been trying to find a KB that's as good as the WebOS one. I think I may have found it with A.I. Type. You can download a free trial from Google Play and it's adjustable to make it look and feel like the WebOS one. It even has a numbers row at the top....

    It's the first Android app I've ever purchased - that's how much I like it (and I have no relationship with the developer)

    Alan
  2. #2  
    is it a good app or a baddie app that wants all your details, full net/websocket access and your firstborn child?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    is it a good app or a baddie app that wants all your details, full net/websocket access and your firstborn child?
    Just record audio (for the voice control) and internet access (for the cloud-based autocomplete, though will do poorer autocomplete offline as well).

    For those who don't trust any keyboard replacement not to log keystrokes and send out over the internet to malicious persons there's the Hacker's Keyboard which doesn't have internet access. I actually use the Hacker's anyway as it's got the most fully-featured set of keys (and as a bonus it's free).

    Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; 07/05/2012 at 10:28 AM.
  4. #4  
    I use Swype Beta. Free for Android but you have to download it via their site while it's still in beta.

    It's not perfect but it's leagues better than the default keyboard or any others I've tried.
    mafu6 likes this.
  5. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    is it a good app or a baddie app that wants all your details, full net/websocket access and your firstborn child?
    Seriously, you really need to understand why they need that information. Swiftkey 3 Tablet is the best keyboard for Android tablets and it needs the access to learn your typing patterns and word choices, so it can better predict words. It's actually a function that people like with Android and was never a part of WebOS, so I guess you automatically don't like it because WebOS never had that capability.
  6. #6  
    He just asked a question, and it is a valid one. Fact is the Google Play store is a wild west show compared to the webOS app catalog or Preware.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  7. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    He just asked a question, and it is a valid one. Fact is the Google Play store is a wild west show compared to the webOS app catalog or Preware.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It wasn't just a question. It was a smarta*@ retort, like he's done many of times here. Fact is that I've used well over a hundred apps on Android and no problems. Plus, have you seen a single posting from somebody here who's downloaded a malicious app? It's only the wild west if you pirate them from third party sources or have a thing for Asian girl apps. There's not any malicious apps in the WebOS or preware app stores because hackers go for the majority, not an OS with an extremely small user base. That's why Windows gets hit on PCs and Linux and Mac don't have the issues they do.

    By the way, Trend micro is the company bringing up malicious apps in Google Play and in the report today they found 17 apps that were malicious. 17 out of 600,000! Today's report also found a malicious app in the Apple marketplace too.

    Fact is, unless you're an ***** or just plain ignorant your not going to download a malicious app from Google Play.
  8. #8  
    I use SlideIT Keyboard, and its great (on both my TP under CM9 and Nook Color under CM7).

    MUCH faster, to Slide/Swype, than to type....
  9. #9  
    True, I use Swype on my phone. Brilliant for the small screen, but not as useful on a tablet, I find.

    Spyke
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    It wasn't just a question. It was a smarta*@ retort, like he's done many of times here. Fact is that I've used well over a hundred apps on Android and no problems. Plus, have you seen a single posting from somebody here who's downloaded a malicious app? It's only the wild west if you pirate them from third party sources or have a thing for Asian girl apps. There's not any malicious apps in the WebOS or preware app stores because hackers go for the majority, not an OS with an extremely small user base. That's why Windows gets hit on PCs and Linux and Mac don't have the issues they do.

    By the way, Trend micro is the company bringing up malicious apps in Google Play and in the report today they found 17 apps that were malicious. 17 out of 600,000! Today's report also found a malicious app in the Apple marketplace too.

    Fact is, unless you're an ***** or just plain ignorant your not going to download a malicious app from Google Play.
    an app doesn't have to destroy your phone or other bad mojo to be a problem app, and a malacious app to me is one that just gives away my or others contact details, as that part is advertised before install, their covered nicely.

    but nm, does a keyboard NEED any access to the net or more? I can understand access to disallow screen turning off or other harmless access. Its the same for a lot of live wallpapers, a LOT want heaps of access apparantly to just animate your background, and no their not downloading an image of the day or something.

    what's malicious to you? Are you fine with a 5min timewaster game wanting your contact details, there are lots of apps that want way way more than they apparantlty NEED access too.

    I'm sure me/others and even you could spend 5 mins sifting through random apps and easily find a load that NEED access to stuff utterly irrelevant to what they are or do, so even if my comment was smart.*** or not its still valid because its not wrong.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    an app doesn't have to destroy your phone or other bad mojo to be a problem app, and a malacious app to me is one that just gives away my or others contact details, as that part is advertised before install, their covered nicely.
    This is FUD. They do not advertise that they 'give away your contact details'.

    What the A I Type app makers actually say is:

    "* It’s safe! A.I.type never collects, analyzes or sends your personal information, passwords, credit card numbers etc."

    and later:

    "Our keyboard DOES NOT COLLECT YOUR SENSITIVE DATA."

    They also note:

    "When the device is offline or Internet connection is too slow, or if you disabled Cloud-based prediction, word suggestions will be generated by the device only."

    So it comes down to trust, as it does with all apps.

    If your comments are not referring to any specific keyboard app, but just to 'Android apps in general', then they're clearly off topic for this thread (and have been discussed to death elsewhere).

    Spyke
  12. P_Yiddy's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    #12  
    I use one called ICS Keyboard Free (or something like that). Not perfect but much better than the stock keyboard and closer to the webOS one.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    This is FUD. They do not advertise that they 'give away your contact details'.

    What the A I Type app makers actually say is:

    "* Itís safe! A.I.type never collects, analyzes or sends your personal information, passwords, credit card numbers etc."

    and later:

    "Our keyboard DOES NOT COLLECT YOUR SENSITIVE DATA."

    They also note:

    "When the device is offline or Internet connection is too slow, or if you disabled Cloud-based prediction, word suggestions will be generated by the device only."

    So it comes down to trust, as it does with all apps.

    If your comments are not referring to any specific keyboard app, but just to 'Android apps in general', then they're clearly off topic for this thread (and have been discussed to death elsewhere).

    Spyke
    off topic yes but my reply was specifically for kalel who said he'd used 100s of apps with no problem, what I'm getting at is that he doesn't know, he's just guessing as a standard app user, you just can't tell from running an app and using it.

    its also wrong to assume it never happens, it does maybe not a lot, but does happen, then add in that google don't rely on app sales for cash, their all about advertising and probably selling/marketing somw of our details, I can say that as I know someone who's job involves trading/selling emails/etc to other firms.

    there's money in it, but yes the bulk may be safe, I just prefer more concrete info.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its also wrong to assume it never happens, it does maybe not a lot, but does happen.
    Yet, although growing, it's still not up there with the malware attacks on Nokia phones, which we never used to be particularly stressed about.

    Take away the proportion that's on the sort of apps you're not likely to be installing, and the proportion on third party download sites, and you're left with a very small chance indeed.

    It happens so rarely that commenting on it frequently like this is FUD, pure and simple.

    Spyke
  15. #15  
    again nothing to do with the app in question here, but in your humble opinion, why or what does the likes of an animated wallpaper for example want and do with say your phone logs or gps location? and if it doesnt need it specifically for its purpose, why does it want it, what does it do with it, because instances like that arent small.

    i can understand say an app wanting net access for ads or similar, but couldnt google have reworded that to "requires direct internet access to google and other advert services" rather than "requires full internet access / can create web sockets".

    personally id rather take a paranoid approach to a device that contains my personal details and details of everyone i know.

    im guessing if my original comment was worded "does this app requires a lot of permissions" instead of "is it a good app or a baddie app that wants all your details, full net/websocket access and your firstborn child?" because tbh their the same, only ones mildly amusing and ones not.

    doesnt mean i didnt make a question, i clearly did, and just because i worded it a little humorously doesnt make my question wrong or bad.

    tbh tho, i honestly dont see a thing wrong with my original post, maybe all android apps have a perfect and harmless reason for all the different access they want and im probably just not funny in my old age, i should probably refrain from adding a question of personal opinion on forums or something, clearly im a bad person and will reflect on my actions.

    ill quit here before my sarcasm level kicks into overdrive.
  16. #16  
    also if interested or not, on android i use "Thumb Keyboard" (which is why i made my comment about permissions on the OP's post, because it wants net/personal info access) until i can find an app that wants less/no access than that app (which i only run on tablet not phone), in fact the bulk of the apps i use on android either have zero access or at least have the decency to only ask for what even a fool like me thinks is a requirement.

    but thats just me.

    EDIT: added my android device incase anyone thought im just a webos ****** (cant say fan boy?) that doesnt use android for anything, my old phones an lg optimus one, doesnt have ICS tho (currently sim'less), tablets just a random 7" device, but the only thing that doesnt work is stuff that insists on larger tablet sized screen resolutions, and yeah im still after a nice keyboard with as few permissions as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geekpeter; 07/06/2012 at 10:54 AM.
  17. #17  
    All about SwiftKey. A couple different themes, excellent prediction, different layouts for landscape and portrait, my favorite so far.
  18. Carini's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    I use Swype Beta. Free for Android but you have to download it via their site while it's still in beta.

    It's not perfect but it's leagues better than the default keyboard or any others I've tried.
    Ha I just got Swype last night after my brother in law showed it to me on his phone. It's great. Practically turns typing into a game.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    tbh tho, i honestly dont see a thing wrong with my original post
    You'll note that I didn't see anything wrong with your original post either. I gave it a serious and considered reply.

    It was your later posts that drifted into FUD.

    Spyke
  20. #20  
    I was using SwiftKey, but I got rid of it; the look just irritated me for some reason...idk maybe I'm just picky. I was so used to the webOS keyboard when I added Android...one of the things I miss is the keyboard. I like voice typing, but I'd give that up for a webOS like keyboard. My two pet peeves are the fact that it has no number row and the sound, it's just grating. Does anyone know of a way to change the keyboard sound for the stock keyboard? I miss the feedback as I type but I had to disable it because it was way too annoying.
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html

Posting Permissions