webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Android on 4G TouchPad
Android on 4G TouchPad
Like Tree66Likes

Old 06/26/2012, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Welcome to the Android on 4G TouchPad thread.

This thread was started to allow forum users to have one place to get the latest on the 4G TouchPad running Android. A couple of pointers to help keep the thread useful and enjoyable:
  1. Do not start a "Which OS is better debate" Talk to your cat or something else, just don't bring it here.
  2. We're about the 4G TouchPad running Android, but will allow a question or two about the HP 4G Go (unicorn) running Android to keep it interesting.
  3. Make sure to post your Android build when posting questions. AKA "Nightly_6-2-2012" or something like that. Otherwise you'll get a question as a response instead of an answer.
  4. There are not many of us 4G'rs out there and "we are our own IT support". Help each other!

Link to the webOS 4G TouchPad Lounge in case you're here on accident or were "dual boot curious"
LINK

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|

Last edited by twack; 06/26/2012 at 11:22 PM.
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2012, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

News:
23 November 2013
New builds of CyanogenMod CM10 (jellybean) for the TouchPad 4G are available via the download links below. This release restores the 'Data usage' option under Settings -> Wireless & Networks (missing from the earlier releases) and restores support for bluetooth headset audio using A2DP.

Recent builds incorporate a pre-release version of MBM HAL 4.0.0 BETA still under development. See 'Features' below for some of the fixes to the code. In addition, the kernel drivers to support the MBM have all been updated to the most current releases.

There are two versions of each release:
  • One built for the HP TouchPad in native landscape mode (same as prior CM releases)
  • One built for the HP TouchPad in native portrait mode (same as WebOS)

Details on features, installation help, SIMs, SMS setup, etc. are here: Notes: TouchPad 4G Releases

The 02 September 2013 CM10 build releases incorporate all CM10 merges as of 01 September 2013. They also include Dorregaray's sensor patches along with my sensor updates for portrait and landscape orientation; James Sullins' latest WiFi modules (backports-3.10-2), audio HAL, and touchscreen pressure sensitivity; expanded error logging buffers, and additional MBM HAL 4.0.0.0 Beta test patches.

The 02 September 2013 CM9 build releases incorporate all CM9 merges as of 01 September 2013. They also include , Dorregaray's sensor patches along with my sensor updates for portrait and landscape orientation; James Sullins' touchscreen pressure sensitivity; expanded error logging buffers, and additional MBM HAL 4.0.0.0 Beta test patches.

CM10 Notes:
  • There is a known bug where mtp must be turned on to allow proper charging
  • The camera icon may be missing from the launcher drawer
  • You can access the camera with a 'left' swipe from the lock screen
  • Alternatively, you can install the 'Camera Launcher for Nexus 7'app
Sensor Notes:
  • Sensors generally work correctly
  • Sensors may not work correctly in the landscape mode build if the application only works in portrait mode
  • It may work correctly if you force the application to be in landscape mode
  • Smart Compass works in portrait or landscape mode with top of tablet pointed up in portrait orientation
Tethering Notes:
  • Bluetooth tethering does work in these builds
  • Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot does not work (WiFi will hang if you try and you will need to reboot)
  • WiFi Hotspot is still a work in process to be incorporated/fixed in future builds
Battery/Power Notes:
  • These builds incorporate the great battery life mods from the WiFi builds
  • However, the MBM is waking more frequently than it should and is consuming power during sleep
  • This is still a work in process to be incorporated/fixed in future builds
Data Usage fixed.

Email Application:
  • Email has been patched to allow downloading zip and other compressed files
  • For the CM10 builds, Email has been patched to open mail full screen in landscape mode (similar to CM9)
Acknowledgements:
Special thanks to those that made this possible: James Sullins for all his work on CM10 audio libraries and test builds (and supporting everone else developing for the TP), Tomasz Rostanski (Dorregaray) for the camea and sensor (gyroscope) development, gamer765 for testing 4G builds, and the MBM HAL developers. This build would not be possible without their efforts.

Critical! If this is the first time you have installed CM10, you must use ACMEInstaller3. This will increase the size of the system partition as required for CM10. Do not install for the first time using TWRP or CWM. Also, I recommend using the new version CWM 6+ and moboot 3.8

Warning! CM9 cannot be reinstalled over CM10. It has to be restored from a backup. Be sure you have a good working CM9 Nandroid backup before attempting to install and test CM10.

CM9 Downloads CM10 Downloads Support Downloads
The TouchPad 4G F5521gw Mobile Broadband Module (MBM) supports:
Code:
GSM/GPRS: max d/l 85.6 kbps, max u/l 42.8 kbps, symbol "G"
EDGE Evol: max d/l 1,894 kbps, max u/l 947 kbps, symbol "E"
WCDMA (UMTS): max d/l 384 kbps, max u/l 384 kbps, symbol "3G"
HSDPA: max d/l 14,400 kbps, max u/l 384 kbps, symbol "H"
HSDPA+HSUPA: max d/l 14,400 kbps, max u/l 5,760 kbps, symbol "H"
HSPA Evol: max d/l 21,000 kbps, max u/l 5,760 kbps, symbol "H+"
Feedback
These releases include a shell script that will produce log dumps for debugging. To use the script, you need Android Terminal with superuser support (or equivalent) installed. Open the terminal, type 'su' and enter, then type 'aldtf.sh' and enter. The logs will be created in /sdcard/logs (as a compressed file for CM9).

-- John

Last edited by NewbyJE; 11/28/2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Updated for 23 Nov 2013 releases, fix date
NewbyJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by berdinkerdickle, yellowhammer, denom and 6 others like this.
Old 06/26/2012, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

reserved
jcsullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by sanaking, Yellowhammer
Old 06/28/2012, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just reading the good news on the RC1 release. Does anybody know if the 4G build has been updated as well? Also looking for a guide on how to update from an Alpha nightly already installed on a TP to a newer build such as RC1? Mainly how to perform a NANDroid and if the flashing process is the same as a first time install of CM9.

Last edited by yorxs; 06/28/2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Clarified
yorxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

yorxs:

See the FAQs/Notes link in the second post for installation help. It is essentially the same as any other nightly build.

The only significant change in the 'RC1' build is the mic addition and it still has some bugs. Next release of the CM9 4G build will be as soon as the mic is fixed. Two weeks

John
Old 06/28/2012, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

which gapps file is compatible with the latest build?
bulls96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
which gapps file is compatible with the latest build?
See FAQs/Notes for link to goo.im site for the latest gapps. It is the same as any CM9 build - 20120429.
Old 06/29/2012, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

cant wait for RC1-4G build, its coming out in 2 weeks!
ceejayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2012, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just got my 4G. It conveniently has an Android build on it and the boot menu times out quickly into Android. I managed to get it to start in webOS as well. Where do I start with updating to the 4G alpha? Pointers for reading up on the process would be helpful. Any different from the WiFi installs?
jbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2012, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just updated mine. Works well so far. Definitely less signal drops. Thanks for your efforts!

- Sent from my Touchpad 4G CM9 edition using Tapatalk
Old 06/30/2012, 04:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbates View Post
Just got my 4G. It conveniently has an Android build on it and the boot menu times out quickly into Android. I managed to get it to start in webOS as well. Where do I start with updating to the 4G alpha? Pointers for reading up on the process would be helpful. Any different from the WiFi installs?
jbates:

Welcome as a new 4G TouchPad owner.

You can read up here: CM9 on the Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" Guide

There is a companion "Get Started" for WebOS here: New Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide

Links to the 4g_alpha release and FAQs/Notes are here: CyanogenMod 9 - TouchPad 4G Release

Briefly, if the version of Android already installed is CM9:
  1. Download the current 4g_alpha release zip file to a directory on your sdcard.
  2. If not already installed, download current GApps (Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps) to the same directory.
  3. Reboot into your mod program (CWM or TWRP).
  4. If desired, perform a Nandriod backup with with CWM or TWRP.
  5. Install the 4g_alpha and GApps zip files while in CWM or TWRP.
  6. Wipe cache and Dalvik while in CWM or TWRP.
  7. Restart System.
If the version is CM7, you probably should do a clean CM9 install as described in the "Get Started" guide.

John
Old 07/03/2012, 06:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

I cannot buy apps on Google Play with the latest build. Anyone else having problems?

Old 07/03/2012, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I cannot buy apps on Google Play with the latest build. Anyone else having problems?
I do not have this problem.

Did you try flashing the latest gapps (20120429) followed by wipe cache and Dalvik?

Also, make sure you Google account is setup and you are signed in with a valid payment method.

John
Old 07/03/2012, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

When you say flash you mean overwrite? I did install the gaps file again after installing the latest build. Do I do another wipe after that?

Old 07/03/2012, 03:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
When you say flash you mean overwrite? I did install the gaps file again after installing the latest build. Do I do another wipe after that?
Yes, I meant to reinstall. Just in case, you should wipe after installing gapps. If you already did that, then it must be something else.
Old 07/03/2012, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

I just did another dalik and cache wipe and still it won't let me buy

Old 07/03/2012, 09:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I just did another dalik and cache wipe and still it won't let me buy
You might want to try loading Play Store by itself from an apk file.

Video instructions and links are here: Play Store APK

John
Old 07/04/2012, 09:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

I wish I had known the 4g model existed. I totally would have bought this instead.
paulieesther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2012, 02:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

For some reason it won't let me install it. It says a conflicting package w the same name is installed and has conflicting signatures.

Old 07/04/2012, 03:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
For some reason it won't let me install it. It says a conflicting package w the same name is installed and has conflicting signatures
Arghhh!

Try going to Settings/Apps/All/Google Play Store and then clearinging cache, clearing data, uniinstall, etc. Once you have done all you can, then try installing the APK again.

John
Thanked By: bulls96

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0