Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by machbaba View Post
    It is strange that in the Settings - Network Operators, it does how carrier name China Unicom correctly.

But in notification area, just No Service, although connection is working fine.
    machbaba:

I will look in the code and see if I can see any reason. It would help if you could send me some radio debugging logs. The easy way is to use the app "aLogcat". In settings, pick the radio buffer, verbose level, and time thread format. Save a log or two, zip, and send by PM.

John
    But in notification area, just No Service, although connection is working fine.
    Checked the code and it looks like the name in the notification area comes from the System Operator name recorded on the SIM card. From other's experience, we know that Android seems to have some problems with older SIMs. WebOS works OK with these same SIMs. You might want to get a replacement SIM from China Unicom. Ask for the newer format 3G 'USIM'.

John
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 08/28/2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Note about older SIMs
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    Checked the code and it looks like the name in the notification area comes from the System Operator name recorded on the SIM card. From other's experience, we know that Android seems to have some problems with older SIMs. WebOS works OK with these same SIMs. You might want to get a replacement SIM from China Unicom. Ask for the newer format 3G 'USIM'.

John
    Hello,

I've tried 2 different USIM, same symptom.

log attached.

Thank you for your time looking into this.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    log attached
    I am not sure anything here explains your 'No Service' indication. Here is what it does say:

• [AT+COPS=] Requests operators and finds China Unicom OK. The response indicates 'manual' mode. The operator looks like it is trying to manually select "HSPA:11" which is standard HSPA (HSUPA/HSDPA). My 4G (AT&T) sets 'automatic' selection mode and usually finds "HSPAP:15" which is HSPA+.
    • [AT+CGREG?] Requests the GPRS network registration status. It Indicates you are on your home network and it is enabled. The reported technology is UTRAN w/HSDPA and HSUPA.
    • [AT*ERINFO?] Requests the network type. The response indicates HSDPA. I am suprised the response is not HSPA+ since China Unicom supports HSPA+.
    • [AT+CGEQNEG=1] Requests the 3G quality of service profile. It indicates your maximum download speed is 7.424 Mbps and your maximum upload speed is 2.048 Mbps. This is consistent with HSDPA. HSPA+ on the 4G has a maximum download speed of 21 Mbps and a maximum upload speed of 5.76 Mbps.

I am not sure if this is related to your SIM or your local reception limitations.

John
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 08/29/2012 at 10:04 PM.
    patiently waiting for an updated cm9 build with the fixes. dev is probably swamped with cm10 stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejayr View Post
    patiently waiting for an updated cm9 build with the fixes. dev is probably swamped with cm10 stuff
    +1

A fourth release of CM9 specifically for the TouchPad 4G (4g_alpha3) is now available.

Download here: 4g_alpha3

Features added since 4g_alpha2:

• All CM9 merges as of 09/04/2012
    • These include: headphone detection and switch, wake-lock, backuptool
    • James Sullin's touchscreen touch pressure patch
    • Minimum CPU speed set to 384 MHz (helps prevent power on reboots)
    • Get Neighboring Cell Ids functionality added to MBM RIL
    • Ericsson NITZ time reporting disabled (caused RIL freezes - AT timeout errors)
    • Increased log file sizes for debugging
    • Improved/corrected network type handling and indications to match the 4G's capabilities:

Code:
    GSM/GPRS: max d/l 85.6 kbps, max u/l 42.8 kbps, symbol "G"
    EDGE Evol: max d/l 1,894 kbps, max u/l 947 kbps, symbol "E"
    WCDMA (UMTS): max d/l 384 kbps, max u/l 384 kbps, symbol "3G"
    HSDPA: max d/l 14,400 kbps, max u/l 384 kbps, symbol "H"
    HSDPA+HSUPA: max d/l 14,400 kbps, max u/l 5,760 kbps, symbol "H"
    HSPA Evol: max d/l 21,000 kbps, max u/l 5,760 kbps, symbol "H+"
    There are detailed FAQs/Notes here: TouchPad 4G Release

As for all alpha releases, testing has been limited. Any feedback on issues will be appreciated in this forum.

John
    Confirmed H+ symbol on 4g_alpha3 here, Vodafone 850MHz Australia.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Installed and played around for 1 day, this version much more stable. No reboots so far.

Thanks a lot developers!!!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Installed alpha3 yesterday night, no reboot, functioning fine. Great work guys!
    Hey all,

Can anybody tell me if there's a way to get the AT&T Communication Manager for android installed (or where to find the apk)?

I installed the Alpha 3 CM9 and it seems to work very well but I'd like to be able to get accurate data usage w/o using the website.- if it's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Can anybody tell me if there's a way to get the AT&T Communication Manager for android installed (or where to find the apk)?

I installed the Alpha 3 CM9 and it seems to work very well but I'd like to be able to get accurate data usage w/o using the website.- if it's possible.
    There's a free myAT&T app in Google Play that provides usage info, including data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    There's a free myAT&T app in Google Play that provides usage info, including data.
    Thanks. Problem is that I'm just using prepaid data and I can't see a way to login w/o an AT&T regular account.
    Thanks. Problem is that I'm just using prepaid data and I can't see a way to login w/o an AT&T regular account.
    Just curious, but which prepaid data plan are you using from AT&T?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikecl View Post
    Just curious, but which prepaid data plan are you using from AT&T?
    This:

DataConnect Pass offers prepaid data plan packages for use while traveling, vacationing, or on the go.

No Long-Term Contract
    Plans are active for 30 days or until depleted.
    Plans automatically renew every 30 days for domestic data plans, unless you cancel. International plans do not automatically renew.
    Plans can be cancelled at any time.

Domestic DataConnect Pass Plans Cost
    DataConnect Month Pass 250MB $14.99
    DataConnect Month Pass 3GB $30.00
    DataConnect Month Pass 5GB $50.00
    Well, have to report, with Alpha 3, it is all fine without putting in the SIM card, once SIM card is inserted, system reboots every 5 to 10 minutes. Tried 2 different SIM with China Unicom.

The same SIM is fine with WebOS, rock solid, so hardware problem is excluded.
    Well, have to report, with Alpha 3, it is all fine without putting in the SIM card, once SIM card is inserted, system reboots every 5 to 10 minutes. Tried 2 different SIM with China Unicom.
    Hi machbaba: Sorry to hear about your reboot issue. On 9 Sept. you reported having no reboots for a full day when you first installed 4g_alpha3. Did this just start to happen? Did anything else change?

I will look at the code and see if it could be related to China Unicom's manual network setting mode and somehow related to the 'No Service' / SIM issues you were having. Also, you might send me new radio logs. I might be able to see some differences from the 4g_alpha2 logs you sent previously that would help figure out why this could be happening.

I think this problem may be specific to China Unicom. If anyone else is having a similar problem on another network, please let me know.

John
    The AT&T Smart WiFi app may work for you. It is for managing WiFi, but does report your cellular useage.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    The AT&T Smart WiFi app may work for you. It is for managing WiFi, but does report your cellular useage.

John
    Thanks for the reply. The wifi app reports a number but I couldn't tell you where it comes from - it isn't a reflection of my usage. Actually, the stock data usage report in 'Settings' is accurate insofar as the android usage - it just doesn't show the total of all usage of my account (including weOS).

I've found two ATTApnWidget.apk versions but I can't get either of them to install ("X Application Not Installed"). I also tried copying them to the /system folder and rebooting but no joy.
    Thanks for the reply. The wifi app reports a number but I couldn't tell you where it comes from - it isn't a reflection of my usage.
    Interesting. On my TouchPad, the wifi app reports exactly the same usage number as when I log into my AT&T account. But I do have a regular account.
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast