Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes
    Just uploaded Alpha 2.

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing Touchpad4G

There's only one TP4G specific change - inverting of the accelerometer z-axis,
    which you probably won't notice unless you play certain games.

However, this does incorporate all of the changes to the regular wifi version included
    in the 7/7 nightly -- wifi, mic, audio, gfx, charging, etc.
    ceejayr likes this.
    downloading alpha2. will provide feedback soon
    running smoothly. everything that is supposed to work is working.

antutu = 5700+ at 1.5GHz
    battery drain during sleep 100-150 range, better than 200-280 i was getting from alpha2
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    Arghhh!

Try going to Settings/Apps/All/Google Play Store and then clearinging cache, clearing data, uniinstall, etc. Once you have done all you can, then try installing the APK again.

John
    That worked. Thanks a lot man.

- Sent from my Touchpad 4G CM9 edition using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    JC -- I'm about 8 time zones away from my TP4G at the moment so I can't flash this to verify, but does this support the built-in 4G chip? If not, will it ever be supported by CM9/CMX?

On a sidenote -- does this image include your 7/09 headset fix?

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by stangri View Post
    Does this support the built-in 4G chip? If not, will it ever be supported by CM9/CMX? Does this image include your 7/09 headset fix?
    1. Yes, it does support the built-in 3G+/GPS modem.
    2. See 1, already is support for CM9.
    3. No, it is based on the standard CM9 build as of 07 July.

Please see the FAQs/Notes for additional details: CyanogenMod 9 - TouchPad 4G Release

John
    I installed this yesterday, put in the APN information for AT&T in the notes, and was up and running in twenty minutes or so. Works very well.

Thanks to JC and everyone else for making this work. I'll be taking the TP to England this weekend and trying this out (TP is unlocked - came that way). High hopes for further success.

K
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsullins View Post
    Just uploaded Alpha 2.

However, this does incorporate all of the changes to the regular wifi version included
    Is this build compatible with your 07/09 headset fix zip-file?
    Quote Originally Posted by stangri View Post
    Is this build compatible with your 07/09 headset fix zip-file?
    No, it's not.

The headset fix will be in the next alpha.
    ceejayr likes this.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsullins View Post
    Just uploaded Alpha 2.

Does anyone know if this build supports the Sierra Wireless LTE module? And, if so, just for data, or for data + voice calls?

Thanks in advance for any info on the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    Does anyone know if this build supports the Sierra Wireless LTE module? And, if so, just for data, or for data + voice calls?
    No, this build uses a modified version of the MBM Hardware Abstration Layer for ICS which was orginally written by ST-Ericsson for their Mobile Broadband Modules (MBM HAL ALPHA 4.0.0). Their HAL does not support voice calls. The standard TouchPad 4G uses the Ericsson f5521gw module.

I believe there is Android HAL code out there for the Sierra modules, but someone would need to find it and know enough to modify it for the TouchPad 4G. Possible, but not necessarily a trivial task.

I do not know if Sierra is like ST-Ericsson, which refuses to release programming documentation to 'end users', but it is a challenge to fix issues in the HAL without programming documentation.

John

Note: If someone wants to send me a TochPad 4G with a Sierra modem installed, I might be willing to try.
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 07/16/2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added offer
    I have CM9 installed on an unlocked 4G. Upgraded the initial CM9 I had running a couple of days ago, right before I left to come to England. I bought a data-only SIM card for the Three network and swapped it for my AT&T SIM, and it came up right away - in webOS. I was able to register with the Three network through CM9, but I had to hunt down the APN information to get the data connection to work. All you need is the provider address or the APN slot, unless you want to be able to send text messages, which I don't.

The settings I found to work came from here:

G1 3 (three) APN settings.

If I'm not supposed to post a link, I apologize. It's easy to find the information though Google.

So far CM9 works well, except:

1) Battery usage seems to be higher than for webOS. I can get about seven hours of continuous usage out of the TP under webOS, but I'm only getting a little over five (it looks like - I haven't run it down yet) from CM9. Idle power usage looks to be about 3 percent per hour, maybe a little more.

2) The only real glitch I've found with my TP so far is with charging. At home I have a Touchstone charger, and it works fine. On my trip I brought the wall unit and a cable, and I can charge up the TP just fine with CM9 running, but when I unplug the cable the TP restarts. This happened twice today. I'll charge it overnight and see if it happens again, but I expect that it will.

Is there a fix for this? I haven't searched for one yet, but I will. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I worry that something weird is happening with the hardware somehow. I didn't have this problem with CM7 or CM9 on my WiFi TP.

K
    If someone wants to send me a TochPad 4G with a Sierra modem installed, I might be willing to try.
    1). This is doable. I have three Sierra's on their way to me. Do you want to buy a TP 4G with a Sierra LTE module installed or to just borrow one long enough to so you can modify the Sierra HAL to work with the TP4G Alpha? Either way may be doable.

2). Any progress on getting ICS to run on a Touchpad GO 7"? This device uses the same two modem modules installed, the Ericsson or the Sierra however, like the Touchpad 4G, the majority of these devices come with the Ericsson. Problem getting Android to install and run on the Touchpad GO 7" model is the OS kernels are different than the kernel in the TP 4G.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    1). This is doable. I have three Sierra's on their way to me. Do you want to buy a TP 4G with a Sierra LTE module installed or to just borrow one long enough to so you can modify the Sierra HAL to work with the TP4G Alpha? Either way may be doable.
    Well, I did make the offer so here are a few issues to consider:

1. Since your post about the Sierra modem not supporting voice calls, I have less interest in spending too much time trying to get it to work. Faster is nicer, but I am pretty pleased with the speed of HSPA+ and AT&T has not turned LTE on in the Seattle area.
    2. Does WebOS support the Sierra modem natively? If so, this could be helpful for implementing and debugging in Andriod.
    3. Although unhappy about Ericsson not releasing programming documentation to end users, I do have to thank them for making the ICS MBM HAL code available through SourceForge. To my knowledge there is no equivalent Sierra release. I did find a version of the Sierra HAL code online, but it is bare bones (no GPS, voice, etc.). Sierra's site does indicate: "Sierra Wireless provides the software packages for Android. It includes USB drivers for the basic module communication, RIL (Radio Interface Layer) and GPS HAL (GPS Hardware Abstract Layer) to translate wireless and positioning Android commands into embedded module commands." I do not know if they would release them to an 'end user' or not.
    4. Debugging could be an issue. The Ericsson MBM HAL worked right off the bat once other fixes were made to the kernel. These fixes should be the same or similar for the Sierra. Fortunately, the major bugs after getting the Ericsson modem to work did not take too much time to fix (addressed in alpha1). However, there are a few, less critical issues that are taking a long time to trace down, particularly without documentation of the manufacturer specific AT command codes. I do not know if these would be available from Sierra.
    5. Finally, there is limited (but enthusiastic) interest. A little over 100 folks have downloaded the TP4G CM9 release from James Sullin's download site. I would guess less than a dozen folks are willing to take their 4G TPs apart and add the Sierra card. Even if I did get a working release, someone would have to take over incorporating advances in CM9/CM10 into future Sierra specific releases.

I will contact Sierra and see if they are willing to provide me their Android software package and documentation. If not, I think this is a no go. Otherwise, we might be able to work something out.

John
    Well, I did make the offer so here are a few issues to consider:

1. Since your post about the Sierra modem not supporting voice calls, I have less interest in spending too much time trying to get it to work. Faster is nicer, but I am pretty pleased with the speed of HSPA+ and AT&T has not turned LTE on in the Seattle area. I have since been told by others that I am jumping to conclusions, the modules I tested may actually support voice, it just needs to be enabled. I have seen this situation previously on Huawei devices, and successfully enabled voice on them, but I had a lot of help from the dc unlocker folks plus Huawei has sold a lot of hardware so there's a lot of interest out there. As you allude to, there is no official Sierra HAL for ICS , "yet" other than the one you found. That's a stopper for me. You have more knowledge than I do and may have better results.
    2. Does WebOS support the Sierra modem natively? If so, this could be helpful for implementing and debugging in Andriod. Yes, code to detect and initilize the Sierra is in the TIL, beginning with WebOS 3.0 and later however I was stupid and didn't save the sierra flasher for webOS from my Touchpad GO before I used the meta doctor to move to 3.04 from 3.03, so I don't have the sierra modem flashing file used in WebOS, only have the flasher for the ericsson, and thus the only way i can presently doctor my devices with sierra modules in them is to create a meta doctor with modem flashing disabled. After doctoring, the Sierra's work just fine using default TIL included with webOS 3.0.0 + BTW - the webOS modem flasher for the sierra I have been desparately seeking since my act of stupidity is named: one of two filenames, either one will do - opalumtsfw-sierra.tar OR topazumtsfw-sierra.tar - the contents of both files are identical, the different filenames are for use on a Touchpad GO (opal) and a Touchpad 4G (topaz) respectively. - IF ANYONE HAS EITHER OF THESE FILES AND FIND IT TO BE LARGER THAN 0 bytes PLEASE PM ME.
    3. Although unhappy about Ericsson not releasing programming documentation to end users, I do have to thank them for making the ICS MBM HAL code available through SourceForge. To my knowledge there is no equivalent Sierra release. I did find a version of the Sierra HAL code online, but it is bare bones (no GPS, voice, etc.). Sierra's site does indicate: "Sierra Wireless provides the software packages for Android. It includes USB drivers for the basic module communication, RIL (Radio Interface Layer) and GPS HAL (GPS Hardware Abstract Layer) to translate wireless and positioning Android commands into embedded module commands." I do not know if they would release them to an 'end user' or not. It wouldn't hurt to ask them
    4. Debugging could be an issue. The Ericsson MBM HAL worked right off the bat once other fixes were made to the kernel. These fixes should be the same or similar for the Sierra. Fortunately, the major bugs after getting the Ericsson modem to work did not take too much time to fix (addressed in alpha1). However, there are a few, less critical issues that are taking a long time to trace down, particularly without documentation of the manufacturer specific AT command codes. I do not know if these would be available from Sierra. It wouldn't hurt to ask them
    5. Finally, there is limited (but enthusiastic) interest. A little over 100 folks have downloaded the TP4G CM9 release from James Sullin's download site. I would guess less than a dozen folks are willing to take their 4G TPs apart and add the Sierra card. Even if I did get a working release, someone would have to take over incorporating advances in CM9/CM10 into future Sierra specific releases.
    I will contact Sierra and see if they are willing to provide me their Android software package and documentation. If not, I think this is a no go. Otherwise, we might be able to work something out.
    PLEASE ASK THEM ABOUT VOICE CAPABILITIES OF THE MC7700.MC7710 MODULES (MC7700 US BANDS, MC7710 EU Bands). The three Sierra modules I have on the way to me from China are unlocked devices and if these are actually voice capable LTE modules, maybe I will get lucky and it will be enabled out of the box on them.

John
    John, One final thing, Thank You so much for all you have done to help our community! I know the TP 4G Android effort may not have a very large user base , or potential, however those of us who are downloading and using it really appreciate your efforts!

TTB

EDIT: JUST FOUND THIS: You'll understand more of what it means than I do right now. Will read through it later when I can.
    http://mycusthelp.net/SIERRAWIRELESS...NMASKFD&aid=44
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 07/28/2012 at 04:34 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Got my first irreversible crash past night. My tp died, showing only the usb symbol, i could not get it to boot. Had to doctor and my android boot is gone :'(

-- Sent from my 4G Touchpad using Communities
    reporting in to say my TP4G is working fine on latest alpha for almost 2 weeks, no big issues whatsoever, just some minor hiccups. lowest battery sleep drain recorded is 71mA = about 1 -1.5% per hour, not bad considering the cellular radio is always on, i think i can get it lower if i close some of these background apps.

still very grateful to JCSullins.
    TTB:
    I can look this weekend re: sierra files in my opal tar.gz

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    John, One final thing, Thank You so much for all you have done to help our community! I know the TP 4G Android effort may not have a very large user base , or potential, however those of us who are downloading and using it really appreciate your efforts!

TTB

EDIT: JUST FOUND THIS: You'll understand more of what it means than I do right now. Will read through it later when I can.
    Sierra Wireless - Support Center
    Just curious, but has this been merged into the CM9 nightly? Or will there need to be separate builds for 4G each time?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikecl View Post
    Just curious, but has this been merged into the CM9 nightly? Or will there need to be separate builds for 4G each time?
    Just like for WebOS, the 4G version of the Android operating system requires a separate build. It is not really possible to 'merge' with a non 4G build. Although a separate nightly could be built, CM9 is pretty stable and significant changes only occur over a period of a few weeks. So far, a new 4G release every 2 to 4 weeks has kept up pretty well. I expect this will continue for CM9 and eventully for CM10 soon after the wifi version of CM10 is released.

John
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast