Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 504
Like Tree95Likes
  1. #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    I created new CM10 builds for the HP TouchPad 4G that correct the bluetooth A2DP problem. With these builds I was able to verify that audio works on a bluetooth headset.

    I had some problems with my repo and was not able to spend much time testing these builds. I will do so before I post new versions at the start of this thread, but here are links if you would like to test these in the meantime (native landscape and portrait mode versions):


    John
    PS. Did not fix the camera rotation for portrait mode yet, looking into it ....
    Thanks John - your update is working on my 4g.
  2. #342  
    News:
    23 November 2013 Release

    New builds of CyanogenMod CM10 (jellybean) for the TouchPad 4G are available via the second posting on this thread ( Android on 4G TouchPad ). This release restores the 'Data usage' option under Settings -> Wireless & Networks (missing from the earlier releases) and restores support for bluetooth headset audio using A2DP (broken in the previous release).

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    John
    pepebuho, sanaking and renater like this.
  3. #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    News:
    23 November 2013 Release

    New builds of CyanogenMod CM10 (jellybean) for the TouchPad 4G are available via the second posting on this thread ( Android on 4G TouchPad ). This release restores the 'Data usage' option under Settings -> Wireless & Networks (missing from the earlier releases) and restores support for bluetooth headset audio using A2DP (broken in the previous release).

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    John
    Thanks John!
    I have been using the new build for several days now and it rocks
    Data usage is shown quite well, I still have to test A2DP. Tomorrow will do.

    JP
  4. #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    These two items in the second post of this threadshould be dated 23 Nov 2013, not 23 Sep 2013.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #345  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    These two items in the second post of this threadshould be dated 23 Nov 2013, not 23 Sep 2013.

    -- Rod
    Rod:

    Thanks. Missed when cutting and pasting. Fixed now

    John
  6. #346  
    Is there going to be a 10.1 or 10.2 for the 4g touchpad?
  7. #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by charley1g View Post
    Is there going to be a 10.1 or 10.2 for the 4g touchpad?
    Hi charlie1g:

    I am concentrating on the last few items on my wish list for CM10 (WiFi HotSpot and battery drain). I hope to have these done near the end of the year. The current builds of CM10 for the TP 4G are pretty stable and this is a good thing. Early builds for CD10+ are likely to not be as stable initially. I have been tracking CM10+ development and there is some progress on updating the kernel for the HP TP to 3.4+. I am hoping that this gets done, because what I would really like to do next is go straight to CM11 (Android 4.4) with a newer kernel. Bottom line, yes but it will probably be early next year.

    John
    marknyack likes this.
  8. #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    Hi charlie1g:

    I am concentrating on the last few items on my wish list for CM10 (WiFi HotSpot and battery drain). I hope to have these done near the end of the year. The current builds of CM10 for the TP 4G are pretty stable and this is a good thing. Early builds for CD10+ are likely to not be as stable initially. I have been tracking CM10+ development and there is some progress on updating the kernel for the HP TP to 3.4+. I am hoping that this gets done, because what I would really like to do next is go straight to CM11 (Android 4.4) with a newer kernel. Bottom line, yes but it will probably be early next year.

    John
    I strongly support your position of stabilisation on the current CM10 touchpad versions, including integration of jcsullins bluetooth changes (if that has not been done already) before moving to a new unstable CM release.

    There's very few apps which work on 4.4 but not on 4.1, so it makes no sense to risk destabilising the touchpad versions just for the sake of running KitKat.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  9. #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There's very few apps which work on 4.4 but not on 4.1, so it makes no sense to risk destabilising the touchpad versions just for the sake of running KitKat.
    -- Rod
    Rod, you are right, there are 'issues' moving forward.

    My CM10 (Android 4.1) builds have a working bluetooth stack. CM10.1 (Android 4.2) introduced a new bluetooth stack (bluedroid) that replaces the former stack (BlueZ). Jcsullins modified the HP tenderloin device and kernel repos to incorporate this new stack and work with the Android framework in CM10.1, CM10.2 (Android 4.3), and CM 11 (Android 4.4).

    A bigger issue with moving to CM10.2 and CM11 is that these CyanogenMod builds are using the 'data media' storage scheme implemented for newer Android devices. Instead of having a "data" partition with your apps and a separate "sdcard" partition for storage, these are now combined into a single, very large data partition. Inside /data is a folder (/data/media) that contains all of the contents of your internal sdcard. You may have heard about folks wiping their 'sdcard' with these new builds, since old recoveries, etc. would wipe the entire /data partition which includes the sdcard data (under /data/media). Moving to this storage scheme also requires you to resize partitions (such as by using Tailor in webOS) and will affect your TP operation under WebOS. Not for the faint hearted.

    These are some of the things I will need to address in moving forward with the 4G builds.

    John
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 12/13/2013 at 12:10 AM.
  10. #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    Hi charlie1g:

    I am concentrating on the last few items on my wish list for CM10 (WiFi HotSpot and battery drain). I hope to have these done near the end of the year. The current builds of CM10 for the TP 4G are pretty stable and this is a good thing. Early builds for CD10+ are likely to not be as stable initially. I have been tracking CM10+ development and there is some progress on updating the kernel for the HP TP to 3.4+. I am hoping that this gets done, because what I would really like to do next is go straight to CM11 (Android 4.4) with a newer kernel. Bottom line, yes but it will probably be early next year.

    John
    John,
    Thanks for the info. It's a great Idea to go straight to 4.4. I want to thank you for your work On the 4g & making the touchpad a great and very useful experience.

    Charley
    Mutoidi likes this.
  11. #351  
    Hi All:

    I can finally report success in getting the portable WiFi hotspot working. Whew!

    I need to clean up the build (remove a lot of debugging stuff) and do some testing to be sure I did not break anything else; however, I should have new CM10 builds for the HP TouchPad 4G ready for you to test in a couple of days.

    John
  12. #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    Rod, you are right, there are 'issues' moving forward.

    My CM10 (Android 4.1) builds have a working bluetooth stack. CM10.1 (Android 4.2) introduced a new bluetooth stack (bluedroid) that replaces the former stack (BlueZ). Jcsullins modified the HP tenderloin device and kernel repos to incorporate this new stack and work with the Android framework in CM10.1, CM10.2 (Android 4.3), and CM 11 (Android 4.4).

    A bigger issue with moving to CM10.2 and CM11 is that these CyanogenMod builds are using the 'data media' storage scheme implemented for newer Android devices. Instead of having a "data" partition with your apps and a separate "sdcard" partition for storage, these are now combined into a single, very large data partition. Inside /data is a folder (/data/media) that contains all of the contents of your internal sdcard. You may have heard about folks wiping their 'sdcard' with these new builds, since old recoveries, etc. would wipe the entire /data partition which includes the sdcard data (under /data/media). Moving to this storage scheme also requires you to resize partitions (such as by using Tailor in webOS) and will affect your TP operation under WebOS. Not for the faint hearted.

    These are some of the things I will need to address in moving forward with the 4G builds.

    John
    One of the things that I really like that was introduced in Android 4.2 is user accounts on the tablet versions. I have recently added CM10.1 to my vanilla TP32 so my daughters can have their own accounts on the device. It stores only one copy of the shared app and their individual settings (mostly game progress). That for me is a compelling reason to move beyond 4.1.

    About the datamedia system, I think there has been a move to update to KitKat without changing the partitioning scheme for just the reasons you have stated.
    Handspring Visor -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre Plus -> Developer Day Pre 2
    32Gb Touchpad, 32Gb Touchpad 4G w/ CM10 onboard
    Pre 3 waiting in the wings for a good reason to switch
  13. #353  
    I am still testing the trail build, but it seems to be working pretty well. There may be some hangups between Bluetooth Tethering and portable Wi-Fi hotspot that I am still debugging. However, I think it is ready to get out there for others to test before I add it to the 'released' builds at the beginning of the thread.

    In addition to a functional 'portable WiFi hotspot' option under Settings -> Wireless & Networks->More…->Tethering and portable hotspot, this release includes a built-in version of the kernel WiFi driver back-ported from the Linux 3.10 kernel with much enhanced WiFi subsystem startup times. Also corrected is a potential multiple reboot problem introduced with the 23 November 2013 releases.

    If you are willing to test, you can download the test build here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...tenderloin.zip.

    You should not have any problems flashing it over the previous CM10 build. I am not sure what may be in your /data/misc/wifi directory. If you have problems, you might try deleting this directory and rebooting to re-establish the file templates. Before you do so, you may want to backup 'wpa_supplicant.conf' so you do not loose your Wi-Fi connection password cache.

    John
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 01/07/2014 at 11:41 PM.
  14. #354  
    Hi John

    Talking about stability, i have some worries.

    First, It is my experience with the current build 10-MBM-L-20131123-4g_beta_4-tenderloin to have frequent reboots, sometimes once a day, sometimes several times a day.

    Also, I have noticed sometimes while it reboots, the 4G starts rebooting, and before getting to the circle animation logo, it reboots itself again, then the second time the reboot catches. It does not happen always, but often enough to be noticeable. I remember it happening also the first time I flashed the update.

    Lastly, I cannot quantify it, but I have noticed that the mounting time for the "SDCARD" is taking longer as time goes by. Maybe the system is fscking it or something, but I nowadays, on my 4G it takes about two to three minutes aprox for the "SDCARD" to be available.
  15. #355  
    Hi pepebuho:
    First, It is my experience with the current build 10-MBM-L-20131123-4g_beta_4-tenderloin to have frequent reboots, sometimes once a day, sometimes several times a day.
    Occasional reboots can occur and seem to be related to the MBM HAL layer interaction with the pechi kernel driver. I am trying to resolve the issues, but it is tricky. My experience varies from one re-boot per day to one every three or four days at best. The new version may give you fewer re-boots. Ultimately, I hope moving to a 3.x kernel will help solve this issue.

    Also, I have noticed sometimes while it reboots, the 4G starts rebooting, and before getting to the circle animation logo, it reboots itself again, then the second time the reboot catches. It does not happen always, but often enough to be noticeable. I remember it happening also the first time I flashed the update.
    Yes, this is a problem where super user is trying to provide permissions to applications before the boot is ready. I accidentally introduced this in the last build when turning on Data Usage requirements in the kernel. It has been fixed in this latest build.

    Lastly, I cannot quantify it, but I have noticed that the mounting time for the "SDCARD" is taking longer as time goes by. Maybe the system is fscking it or something, but I nowadays, on my 4G it takes about two to three minutes aprox for the "SDCARD" to be available.
    The time required for the dosfsck is directly related to the amount of data in the data partition. Mine is pretty full and it typically takes ~1.5 minutes. Three minutes sounds a little long, but not totally unexpected.

    John
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 01/07/2014 at 11:42 PM.
  16. #356  
    Hi jbates:
    One of the things that I really like that was introduced in Android 4.2 is user accounts on the tablet versions. ... That for me is a compelling reason to move beyond 4.1.
    Much progress is being made on the 3.x kernel for the HP TP (tenderloin). As soon as I get this latest CM10 build tested and 'formally' released, and assuming users do not have problems with the build (which will take priority), I plan to start trying to build a TP 4G version of KitKat with the 3.x kernel. It will have user accounts. Not sure if I will have many problems porting the MBM HAL. If not, early builds may be available in a few weeks. Initially, they may be missing some of the features in the CM10 builds (ex. Bluetooth and Camera are not yet working correctly in KitKat). On the other hand, the newer kernel may take care of other problems.

    About the datamedia system, I think there has been a move to update to KitKat without changing the partitioning scheme for just the reasons you have stated.
    Actually, it now (last few days) appears that all the other developers of KitKat for tenderloin are moving to data/media because of problems being encountered if they do not. However, other folks are working on ways to make the transition (and going back) easier and less problematic. Hopefully this will get done by the time I am ready to release a KitKat build and I will try to put together a good guide for Android on 4G TouchPad users.

    John
  17. #357  
    Hi All:

    I am not planning on continuing to create Android ICS (CM9) builds for the HP TP 4G, unless there is enough interest in updated CM9 builds that incorporate portable Wi-Fi hotspot. Please let me know if you really would like to see an update ...

    John
  18. #358  
    Installed the 20140104 beta tonight (1/7). Loaded and seems to be working all right. Will let you know if there are issues. It didn't restart/reboot back to HP and then menu as before. Seems to load pretty fast. Appreciate the updates for my 4G.

    1/8 edit/add: this beta has been pretty stable today - went to Webos to check a couple things - rebooted into Android without reboots/false starts. Seems to react better when opening apps and pages in browser.
    Last edited by marknyack; 01/08/2014 at 09:15 PM.
  19. #359  
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    Hi pepebuho:


    Occasional reboots can occur and seem to be related to the MBM HAL layer interaction with the pechi kernel driver. I am trying to resolve the issues, but it is tricky. My experience varies from one re-boot per day to one every three or four days at best. The new version may give you fewer re-boots. Ultimately, I hope moving to a 3.x kernel will help solve this issue.

    Thanks! Is there any way we could help you? Log data, version testing?
  20. FullReverse's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    #360  
    I've been anxiously following the development from xda on getting kit kat and the 3.X kernels working on our TPs. I've tried out JCSullins' CM10.1 3.0 kernel ROM, flintman's Evervolv 4.0.0p1 3.4 kernel ROM, and invisblek's CM11 3.4 kernel ROM.

    I think I've followed all directions to partition storage and applied /data/media recovery, but in all cases witnessed WiFi radio unable to properly enable, landscape orientation reversal, and at worst erratic automatic random touch events resulting in soft-boot loops (this last one only JCSullins' ROM only for some reason).

    I'm not necessarily looking to for our MBM HAL HW to be working in any of those ROMs, but am surprised that the rest of the experience isn't parity with normal WiFi-only TP models/users (isn't the HW practically the same save for the Ericsson cellular HW?).

    So I was wondering if I was the only 4g user who has tried out these alpha 3.X ROMs and whether or not any of you (or NewbyJE himself) has seen any success?

    Keep up the fantastic work NewbyJE! Assuming there is additional development required on the kernel side to get compatibility for our models, I'm rooting for you and am eager to see what's next.

Posting Permissions