webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Android on 4G TouchPad
Android on 4G TouchPad
Like Tree87Likes

Old 01/05/2013, 04:46 AM   #181 (permalink)

Can anyone please provide me with info..

Please ..........
jeffhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 11:51 AM   #182 (permalink)

Jeff, did you look at the document I told you?
pepebuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 01:49 PM   #183 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhp View Post
Hello
Can someone please provide me with a link or info of the sim card (prepaid) that I will need and works with the 4g touch pad. I only want to do the prepaid or pay as we go sim cards .

Please help

Thanks

Jeff
Straight talk and good2go mobile prepaid SIM cards work if the device is locked to AT&T because they are AT&T MVNO's. You can also use a Go Phone SIM (don't tell the retail associate you want it for a tablet, they will not sell it to you) but you'll be limited to 3G data speeds (not even HSPA+).

If the device is unlocked, any prepaid sim will work. Even T-Mobile USA prepaid SIMs now work with unlocked Touchpad 4G's and T-Mo's SIM's deliver HSPA+ data speeds in metro areas thanks to the 1900 MHz band T-Mo got from AT&T when the merger was denied.

TTB
Liked by berdinkerdickle likes this.
Thanked By: berdinkerdickle
Old 01/05/2013, 02:40 PM   #184 (permalink)

Quote:
Can anyone please provide me with info..

Please ..........
jeffhp:

Although I never tried this personally, James Sullins told me that you can use "lwaactivate" as an APN (instead of "broadband") with the AT&T SIM that comes with the HP TouchPad 4G. If you have no plan activated, this should allow you to connect to https://buyasession.att.com/. From there you can buy a session with AT&T.

Also, the link that pepebuho provided may get you to a SkyDrive login screen rather than directly to the HP TouchPad 4G Releases documentation. Try this one: http://sdrv.ms/LhnY0m.

Let me know if you are able to buy a session using the above and I will add it to the documentation (along with the good info TTB provided).

John
NewbyJE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 05:08 PM   #185 (permalink)

I can't believe this!
I went to my operator to change the SIM for one that might work and.
1. All the SIMS they have is the "new" SIM that ws shown here as a Legacy SIM
2. No, they cannot swap the content of the SIMs (so that I could use the one on the PRE3 with the Touchpad 4G and viceversa)
3. No. they cannot change the phone number assigned to a SIM, (So I could assign the phone number of the SIM on the tablet to the Pre3, use that SIM on the tablet and ask for a new SIM with the Pre3 phone number for the Pre3

Seems like all those operations somehow involve tearing down the phone line and as soon as they do that, the SIM is scratched from the system, they cannot reuse it.

Looks like my only hope is that
1. John can find out how to talk to a legacy SIM
2. Switch carriers. Could be but I have to test if their SIMs are compatible with CM9/CM10
3. Find a way to stop whomever is asking for data service until I can connect/register with the phone network. Somehow that works at the beginning after I reinit/reinstall the system, but not later. What is different then?

JP
Old 01/06/2013, 07:01 PM   #186 (permalink)

Hi John. This log is somewhat remarkable.
I got the com.android.phone error and went into airplane mode for a while (about two or three hours)
Instead of reformatting etc, I switched out of airplane mode. I checked out and the APN was still there and when I tried to activate the mobile network, I did not have any problem.
Maybe as long as I do not have to reboot, there is a possibility to recover from this, and there is a clue about dealing with these Sims

jP
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20130106-1849-logs.tar.zip (179.3 KB, 3 views) Email Attachment
Old 01/07/2013, 12:30 AM   #187 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post
Hi John. This log is somewhat remarkable.
I got the com.android.phone error and went into airplane mode for a while (about two or three hours)
Instead of reformatting etc, I switched out of airplane mode. I checked out and the APN was still there and when I tried to activate the mobile network, I did not have any problem.
Maybe as long as I do not have to reboot, there is a possibility to recover from this, and there is a clue about dealing with these Sims

jP
pepebuho:

Still researching the logs, but they are helpful. The MBM code is eventually switching to 'manual' network selection mode. This happens with the Legacy SIMs, just seems to take a long time.

The values you found in com.android.phone_preferences.xml are written there by the android phone java app when manual mode is selected and they are read from the SIM. Normally, they are blank ("") for 'auto' network selection mode. I am not sure if these values survive a re-boot.

Looking at some other issues online where values are saved by android phone java apps, others have had luck copying com.android.phone_preferences.xml to com.android.phone_preferences.xml.bak and saving it in the same directory. It appears that Android may automatically restore the "bak" file on a restart. Not sure if this will make any difference.

Bummer about your carrier. Not sure why they cannot provision you tablet with a USIM.

I will keep looking into this, but it takes time to try to track down what is happening. And I am not that familiar with all the SIM code. I will also pass on the issue to those working on the Beta MBM HAL.

John
Old 01/07/2013, 04:06 AM   #188 (permalink)

Stock 4g touch pad sim card using buy a session from at&t with the above info from newbyje works perfect !,

One one question. I have another 4g touch pad that is stuck at the firmware screen. When I run webos doctor it starts but will fail at 10 to 12% every time. It will go into the USB icon on the screen but the unit does not allow me to see it in my computer. I have been able to talk with it using some novacom commands. But cannot load any firmware on it.
Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions

Its almost as if the partition tables are messed up.

Help .....
jeffhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 11:08 AM   #189 (permalink)

Quote:
When I run webos doctor it starts but will fail at 10 to 12% every time.
Help .....
Try here for some ideas ... Help Needed...stuck at 12% in WebOS Doctor
Old 01/08/2013, 03:22 PM   #190 (permalink)

Update.

Since starting to apply the airplane mode trick, things have become somewhat manageable. I haven't have to reformat since a day and a half ago.

In the meanwhile about twice I have lost the signal, applied the airport mode for a two to three hours and I have been able to make the touchpad connect back to the network.
I applied the apns-conf.xml file that has the movistar APN included and did the .bak trick on the com.android.phone_preferences.xml file. I have not rebooted the system yet to test if the settings are kept.

So far, things have gone from hopeless to kind of manageable.

JP
Old 01/08/2013, 04:09 PM   #191 (permalink)

switch carrier = easy end =)

hehehehe
ceejayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 07:03 PM   #192 (permalink)

ceejayr,
I might as well do it, but I am rather fond of them (I used to work there several years ago).
Old 01/10/2013, 12:46 PM   #193 (permalink)

I install the latest beta1 build on 4G touchpad, but still reboots after some time. I don't have a plan now, am just using the wifi. I only get 4G when traveling on demand. Two questions:
1. How do I make moboot do a android boot on default, so even if it reboot i get android later
2. Anything i can do to help developers isolate this problem, i am willing to share logs etc here.

Thanks! absolutely great work. just need that final finishing touch
tabletrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 12:56 PM   #194 (permalink)

Download Cyboot from Preware, you can change the default boot OS and time delay for boot also.
yorxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2013, 08:01 PM   #195 (permalink)

John, I'm curious as to what CM10 build you have installed on your own unit - seeing your signature at rootz
"CM10 Unofficial/Official Nightlys with Camera fixes - Always the Latest!'

I'm wanting to take a leap to CM10 now...
Old 01/14/2013, 12:32 AM   #196 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejayr View Post
John, I'm curious as to what CM10 build you have installed on your own unit - seeing your signature at rootz
"CM10 Unofficial/Official Nightlys with Camera fixes - Always the Latest!'

I'm wanting to take a leap to CM10 now...
ceejayr:

Not my signature.

I was waiting for the audio patches to get committed before releasing another CM10 build. However, I am testing a 4G CM10 build with camera patches, gyroscope, etc. and will probably post it soon anyway.

John
Liked by dinlaca and renater like this.
Thanked By: ceejayr
Old 01/16/2013, 07:12 PM   #197 (permalink)

sorry about that john, it looks like I will hold off until you work your magic.
Old 01/16/2013, 09:54 PM   #198 (permalink)

CM9 it is 0429
CM10 is 1011
Old 01/19/2013, 02:20 AM   #199 (permalink)

Success!
If at first you do not succeed, try again.
I went to another branch store of my carrier and they were able to swap the SIMs. I just had to buy one extra sim for the swap to take place but in the end, the SIM of my PRE3 is working on the 4G and viceversa while keeping the phone numbers straight.

Now the 4G is working fine, no crashes, sometimes it reboots when I take it off the dock but things are fine now.

JP
Old 01/19/2013, 11:26 AM   #200 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post
Success!
If at first you do not succeed, try again.
JP
Congratulations! I have not figured out the Legacy SIM issue. It will probably require adding debug code and testing with a problem SIM (which I do not have). Fortunately, the few folks that have had problems have been able to get a USIM.

John

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0