Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
  1.    #1  
    Me, its been over a week now....

The nightly builds are making excellent progress, and are 99% stable.

The big thing for me, believe it or not, is the ability to have a browser that I can dedicate to reading the NY Times, and can easily clear the cookies on, without disrupting my normal browser settings..

And of courses all the Apps Apps Apps.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Last week I needed to boot into webOS to uninstall most of the apps to free up space. Before that it has been months.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    5 minutes ago.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    mafu6, fxspec06 and T-Pad like this.
    still my main devices tbh, uninstalled android and just got a cheap 50ish quid chineese 7" knockoff which tbh runs fine, but the more I've use android the more I dislike it, it just feels a colossal pain to use and most of the flashy widget/homescreen stuff looks nice but serves little serious use.

add to that, that the ui/feel of their apps look ghastly, the only ones that look ok are the ones that disregard the host UI in favor of their own custom setup.

after a lot of using the bigger app archive I can live with what I have tbh, there isn't much or anything I'd say is a MUST have that I'd want android to replace webos, lets be real here for most its netflix and tons of average/malware infested games that attract them.

mostly...
    The camera and the Mic need to work and videos need to be a little smoother in android and if that happens....
    Great question and same for me loading last week to free up space deleting apps on webOS I no longer use. Actually, when it comes to webOS I mostly use for Simple Bible Pro where I have subscriptions and nothing compares on the Android. I like Simple Bible Pro so much I even asked the developer to look into porting his app to Android, but that may be complicated and I can always switch to webOS on Sunday.

Sadly, I'm not missing too much of webOS apps wise (not that we have much to miss) and it keeps me on CM9 more often now. Android ICS sucks and if Open Mobile ever arrives to webOS...I can rely on it for better interfacing and Android for app options. Till then I'm kinda stuck and using Android. Sorli...
    I rarely use Android unless there is a specific app I want to use. Browsing is better on Android but I rarely browse on a tablet. I use it as a kindle app, check my google reader feeds, read news, etc. Mostly consuming, rarely interactive or creative activities that I find are still much more efficient on a real pc. And games. For those activities webOS has apps that suit my needs. But mostly I enjoy using webOS so much more. Android is clunky and non-intuitive. The only advantage it has for me is the app catalog, obviously. I kept my tablet in Android for two weeks, trying to force myself to use it so I would get used to it and could be sure my preferences weren't just biases because of what I was familiar with. Nope. And the battery life is abysmal on Android. I can literally leave my webOS tp untouched for days without worrying about charging it. On Android, I get a little over a day of standby and then it shuts down. And I have talk and voice off, bluetooth off but wifi on. Same as with webOS.

So..... I guess my long winded and opinionated answer to your question is that I have it booted in webOS now and rarely boot into Android anymore despite my initial interest and excitement about Android. I still update Android hoping for major improvements but they haven't been sufficient to sway me yet.
    honestly surprised when some say webOS browser lacks compared to androids offerings, sure they may have more options, bells, whistles and gimmicks but i dont see any real functional difference in general day to day use, at least on the webpages i visit.

many suggest the browser is faster on android than webos as well but again in my normal use of both devices/os's i see little difference, while some sites or benchmark tests may show webos lacking it cant be that big of a deal if i dont notice the slightest difference while sat using each, they both feel the same to me, even on a different device.

as with intron above, i have tried to find a use for my android install when i had it and my new cheapo 7" android tablet but i just cant find a big use for it over my webos/touchpad, it WAS just netflix that made me go back to android, but i have that on my ps vita anyways if desperate, that or nwo he novelty factor has waned slightly ic an just do without until im back on the PC.
    I noticed a big difference between the speed of the Android browsers over the webOS one (stock or advanced). I respect anyone whose browsing habits lead them to not see it or care about it but it was very noticeable to me.

I last booted into webOS about a week and change ago to check out a Pandora-style app someone said was very nice. It IS very nice but I doubt I'll boot into webOS just for that on a regular basis. I also look a look at the app store but didn't see anything new I was interested in. Before that, it had probably been a couple months since I booted into webOS.
    Probably not what you're looking for, but... about ten minutes ago.

I almost never boot Android. Like Sorli said, I also have found an excellent Bible app (BibleZ Pro), and even though Olive Tree has a fancy app for Android, it's so laggy it's unusable. Since that and Music Player (Remix) and Facebook are mainly what I use my tablet for, I just stick with what works well.

The only thing I might boot it for is to use Evernote. That at least gives me offline access to my notes.

But I must, must, must have multitasking--on my phone and on my tablet. I love the cards and the fact that I can let YouTube load while I'm using other apps.

Anyway, my two cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    honestly surprised when some say webOS browser lacks compared to androids offerings, sure they may have more options, bells, whistles and gimmicks but i dont see any real functional difference in general day to day use, at least on the webpages i visit.

many suggest the browser is faster on android than webos as well but again in my normal use of both devices/os's i see little difference, while some sites or benchmark tests may show webos lacking it cant be that big of a deal if i dont notice the slightest difference while sat using each, they both feel the same to me, even on a different device.

as with intron above, i have tried to find a use for my android install when i had it and my new cheapo 7" android tablet but i just cant find a big use for it over my webos/touchpad, it WAS just netflix that made me go back to android, but i have that on my ps vita anyways if desperate, that or nwo he novelty factor has waned slightly ic an just do without until im back on the PC.
    I think that you are right - if I am looking at one card and browsing the internet I think that the stock webOS browser does a very good job, at least as well as any android browser I have tried. But I often do a google search and then open a bunch of results in background tabs and then look through them one at a time without going back to the google results. Its very easy to do, for example, in firefox for android. But the stock browser on webOS doesn't like to load up pages in the background and sometimes sort of greys out the page you are looking at if you try to open a link in a new card. The card thing would work (instead of tabs) and I would be fine with the webOS browser if I could open in background cards, and if the browser dealt with that better. If I was just browsing within one card then I think you are right, there is no appreciable difference between the android browsers and the webos one that I can tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    I think that you are right - if I am looking at one card and browsing the internet I think that the stock webOS browser does a very good job, at least as well as any android browser I have tried. But I often do a google search and then open a bunch of results in background tabs and then look through them one at a time without going back to the google results. Its very easy to do, for example, in firefox for android. But the stock browser on webOS doesn't like to load up pages in the background and sometimes sort of greys out the page you are looking at if you try to open a link in a new card. The card thing would work (instead of tabs) and I would be fine with the webOS browser if I could open in background cards, and if the browser dealt with that better. If I was just browsing within one card then I think you are right, there is no appreciable difference between the android browsers and the webos one that I can tell.
    I do this all the time in webOS with Advanced Browser, pretty sure the issue is in the way the background cards get handled by Luna.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I do this all the time in webOS with Advanced Browser, pretty sure the issue is in the way the background cards get handled by Luna.
    True, AB is much much better - although there is just a slight hesitation between when you open something in a background tab and when it will let you have control back. But I definitely use AB all the time now. But it doesn't "feel" quite as fluid as FF on Android. Still, a damn good option though.
    OldSkoolVWLover and geekpeter like this.
    A couple months...while CM9 is far from perfect, it's a bit better IMO than webOS, at least from a web browsing and apps POV. PDF viewing for example just murders what webOS can do, the Kindle app is better, I like the default browser better (and Opera, Dolphin, Chrome are all available as options).

webOS looks better IMO, and I miss synergy a bit, but not as much as I though.
    I use webOS all the time. It stood me well 2 weeks ago to do a large email project with jpg attachment when I was out of town. It stood me also to transfer recordings onto it. I don't bother with cm9, looked at over Christmas for a friend and then dropped it. A month or so ago got a cheap Kindle Fire on a fluke and use it for netflix and TheDailyShow, not much else, not even reading as I think the Kindle Keyboard is a class act and so much easier on the eyes.

Work got me an Ipad3. Not sure yet how to capitalize on this.
    Months ago. I haven't booted into it since I first installed Android.
    Nechasin#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Months ago. I haven't booted into it since I first installed Android.
    Lots of people keeps telling me to install Android on the HP TouchPad, if I criticize WebOS for the lack of apps on the HP Catalog. But, every time that I think that I have to go through a convoluted install process of grab-drop files here and there....kinda makes me want to not install the CM9 program on my tablet. I think that, those devs of that program could made things a bit easier to install like "Preware" or something, that could easily make me want to install CM9 on my TouchPad. The only time that I seen CM9(on how it looks like) is on YouTube videos, looks like it performs a bit better than the WebOS itself. The demo videos, shows that TouchPad meant to run android not the WebOS software than HP decided to install on the device. For me, looks like the Android system has a very nice user-interface something that no-one can deny, however its not as productive as WebOS with the multitasking cards metaphor. I never been an Android fan(per se) but, I always liked the way with the widgets on the homescreen......Hoping that WebOS adopts some of that concept but without the hassles that the android tries to handle them, just a few widgets like weather, facebook, notes, pandora and things like that.

Anyhow, going back to the OP topic at hand........I'm always logged into WebOS system all the time, but I barely have my tablet turned on(anyways) because of its uselessness of what WebOS has become compared to the competition in terms of features. The only time, that I pulled the HP TouchPad tablet out of the original box was to browse the web a bit(on my couch) while I was watching TV about last week. Anything else, it just kind of sits on the box(sad/lonely collecting dust).....waiting to see the (uncertain) future promise of WebOS Open Source with those stupid people from HP(even hate the word HP).
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Sad to say, but a few days... and likely to stay that way... no one hats that more than I.

Android is coming a long way from my first android tablet, and a tablet is worthless without APPS... I'll boot webOS from time to time I suppose, just to see if any apps update, but ugly-yet-functional beats out the empty shell of the webOS app store. And the CM9 build is snap pier, with no turning-circle-of-doom keeping me waiting (yes I over clocked)

And before the hate streams in... yes, 90% of what I do I could do in webOS, and I will have to switch to use Skype. But if android does everything but video, and then more, why would I boot webOS at all until I need video?

Oh, and the native reader app for webOS epub books is not good compared to android readers, but I do think the kindle beta app is sexier on webOS, if slightly less functional.
    for me a more appropriate question is when did i last boot to android? I am in webos 99% of the time. Whenever i do go into Android, I find myself hating the interface more and more.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    geekpeter likes this.
    I installed CM9 last weekend and am pretty impressed with it but I still keep booting into webos on a daily basis.

CM9 advantages - lots of apps, I particularly like the google stuff like maps/nav/GPS, google street maps work smooth and great. Webos just has maptoolPro for GPS nav and I could never get street maps to work correctly. I also like that all browser sessions are remembered (stock, Chrome beta, Opera mini).

CM9 disadvantages - memory management/instability - you definitely need a good Ram optimizer and kill app utility. Apps have crashed back to the icons several times and a few auto reboot crashes probably due to low memory.

Webos advantages - stability, multitasking and the cards are just too cool and provide a much more enjoyable time on your TP. HD videos (some with very high bitrates) play very smooth over my home network ala Kalemsoft compared to Androids MX player. In fact Kalemsoft and Apollo Pandora app are all I need to keep me happy in the media department.

Webos disadvantages - lack of apps which really isn't a problem for me yet.

Synchron
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast