Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree25Likes
    First we had to deal with all the the android phone lovers coming and telling us how much webos sucks, and by extension we suck for still using webos, they went away and now its touchpad cm something time.

I have never tried it and never will because first I don't use my touchpad that much as I am just not a tablet guy and second I have no interest in android.

I prefer if this was just a webos forum to help the most dedicated among us solve the problems and survive this debacle.

Anyways what's to do when the blog does a pretty good job promoting other platforms (probly get banned but don't care)

So to me, you bought a touchpad for cheap or maybe once loved webos, but you've discovered the goodies over at android, why not spend some money and show your support for android by buying a real android tablet instead of bashing webos.

We know the shortcoming of webos, trust me
    Believe it or not I recently switched back to my old Pre after using an EVO 3D for several months. I couldn't be happier. I don't have all the apps that I had on the EVO, but the usability is much better. My goal was just to update the Pre to webOS 2.1 and try it out for a day but now I have no desire to go back just yet. I installed CM7 and CM9 on the TouchPad several times only to uninstall them and come back to webOS. The only thing worth while in Android is the app ecosystem. That's about it. I believe most folks here know that. Not saying that its wrong, but take away the apps and all you have left is a crappy schizophrenic frustrating OS. There is a reason why besides all that Google and its partners have done to push Android along, Apple by itself is beating them in the tablet space and holding its own in the phone arena.

After switching back to the Pre I had an interesting conversation with my 16 year old daughter who is an avid Android user. She has an EVO 3D also and her experience with the phone is a lot rosier than mine. She complained that the Pre's keyboard was too small yet the on screen keys on the EVO 3D are smaller, at least I can type on the Pre with my fingernails. I complained that doing simple tasks in Android were tedious yet she saw no issue with hitting some extra buttons or performing the rituals she had to do just to do things webOS does with a swipe. She complained about my Pre taking forever to boot up, yet I don't have to reboot it nearly as much as she has had to reboot her Android phone. She has no problem with rebooting when she has an issue. Ironically, last night she was using my TouchPad in webOS and it had to be rebooted for a network issue and she complained about that. I think it comes down to Android users being comfortable enough with Android to make up excuses for the weird things you have to do with it and webOS users being comfortable enough with webOS to make up for the lack of apps on it. However, like the previous poster I'm getting tired of hearing Android folks complain about webOS on a webOS fan site. You folks need to find something else productive to do and if Android was so good why didn't you just pay extra for a real Android tablet? Usually if something is worthwhile you spend a little more on it.

BTW, I just woke up and typing on the Pre is a breeze (compared to the EVO 3D) so I apologize if this post is a little long winded and all over the map. Time for some coffee.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    So to me, you bought a touchpad for cheap or maybe once loved webos, but you've discovered the goodies over at android, why not spend some money and show your support for android by buying a real android tablet instead of bashing webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    You folks need to find something else productive to do and if Android was so good why didn't you just pay extra for a real Android tablet? Usually if something is worthwhile you spend a little more on it.
    Because most people aren't really soldiers in some silly OS war. They're not worried about "supporting the platform". They just want something that works well for them for an affordable price. I couldn't care less if I'm using webOS, Android or iOS as long as it works for me and adding Android to my TP cost me absolutely nothing but a little time. If someone gave me a free iPad or the option to install iOS on my Touchpad, I'd probably be using that as well.
    Last edited by Jophiel; 06/19/2012 at 02:56 PM.
    its the condescending attitude of some of the new android users that bothers me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    Because most people aren't really soldiers in some silly OS war. They're not worried about "supporting the platform". They just want something that works well for them for an affordable price. I couldn't care less if I'm using webOS, Android or iOS as long as it works for me and adding Android to my TP cost me absolutely nothing but a little time. If someone gave me a free iPad or the option to install iOS on my Touchpad, I'd probably be using that as well.
    Exactly! Nobody is trying to damage webOS here. We're actually trying to help people by discussing the benefits of the Android route.

If a couple of people read this and end up wiping the dust off their TouchPads, installing CM9 and finding it useful that's a good thing. Personally I have gotten a lot more use out of this tablet since installing it and there must be others that would have a similar experience.

Why don't I buy an Android tablet? Because the TouchPad is a pretty damn good one. I've no need to buy another.
    Anyone who is satisfied with webOS should stick with it but people who've found themselves not using their TouchPad much have little to lose by giving CM9 a shot.
    noseph likes this.
    The title of the thread says: android is so good and webOS is so bad I don't even bother to boot into webos anymore, you too?
    For webOS read webOS Quickinstall. :-)
    <<thread cleansed>>

NOTE:
    Members:
    Please keep the posts on-topic and remember that this site is a webOS support site first and foremost. This forum was added as a place to discuss the Android on TouchPad topic and get assistance with questions. Off-topic/flame posts will be deleted.

Thanks for your understanding!
    -webOS Nations Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    You assume there were any great hurdles, I found installing CM9 on my TP to be painless.
    Couldn't agree more......ridiculously easy, IF you read/follow/understand the instructions. I rarely use Android, but I do have the option should I decide there's something I want/need.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    ... this thread has run it's course.... <thread closed>
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234