Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 70
Like Tree25Likes
  1. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #41  
    A mindmap application.
    Kindle reading my mag subscriptions.

    Alan
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by mafu6 View Post
    Really...? My webOs alarm clock works fine for individual days and weekends and weekdays and if I need to set it for Tues, Wed, Thur then I set different alarms.... Bit Lazy if you ask me that!
    my "alarm clock" for work etc is mode switcher 2 with a mode to launch the music player in the morning on weekdays and ramp the media volume to max, combined with the patch to auto play music when the music app runs.... nice and simple.
  3. #43  
    Hardly ever boot webOS since installing CM9.

    I can't believe people think Android is less smooth than webOS. I find webOS more laggy tbh. I can be reading a web page using Dolphin in less time than it takes the advanced webOS browser to even boot up.

    Even booting the device takes twice as long in webOS.

    For me webOS was a wonderful start. The OS had real potential but it's been dropped before the potential could be realised. A real shame because the implementation of multitasking in webOS is wonderful. Without apps and support though I can't really carry on with it. I'm not even a big downloader of apps. I mainly browse the web. But even that feels lots less clunky on ICS imo.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by EndOfLevelBoss View Post
    Hardly ever boot webOS since installing CM9.

    I can't believe people think Android is less smooth than webOS. I find webOS more laggy tbh. I can be reading a web page using Dolphin in less time than it takes the advanced webOS browser to even boot up.

    Even booting the device takes twice as long in webOS.

    For me webOS was a wonderful start. The OS had real potential but it's been dropped before the potential could be realised. A real shame because the implementation of multitasking in webOS is wonderful. Without apps and support though I can't really carry on with it. I'm not even a big downloader of apps. I mainly browse the web. But even that feels lots less clunky on ICS imo.
    i understand your opinion regarding boot times (not that it affects me as i rarely turn the touchpad off) but again your another person who slates a whole OS based off your opinion of varying Apps, the performance of Dolphin and ADVB have little to do with how well android or webOS work.

    If an app sucks then its just that, the app sucks, if webOS lagged as bad as you say then every app would be just as terrible and at least imho thats not the case.

    Im also guessing ADVB is a tad slow mostly due to refreshing the mini-pics from our bookmarks, seeing as its the 3rd party Snapshots - websnapr - Website Thumbnails For Your Website providing the updated images, this is a guess seeing as its not that much different to the stock app.

    You could even coutner that android sucks because dolphin hd on my android devices is much slower compared to erm, opera on the same devices, we cant just slate android/webos because of 2 apps that are totally different.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 06/17/2012 at 03:02 PM.
    mafu6 and retroblu like this.
  5. #45  
    I'm not worried about some silly webOS vs Android "Who sucks?" war. But I see it like this:

    When the TP came out and went on sale and everyone was buying them, you had people say how it was a dead OS. My thought was "Well, people mainly browse the web, watch videos, play games and check e-mail and this TP can do that". And it's still true. But with CM9 I can:

    - Do more on the web quicker (Dolphin vs either webOS browser and I don't get the secure site issues)
    - Watch more videos (anything I can view via webOS plus Netflix and Xfinity)
    - Play more games (Does this need explanation?)
    - Have an easier time checking my email (No GMail issues)

    That alone is reason enough to expand my options to include CM9. It takes the very basic reasons I own a tablet and makes them better. Whatever reason makes that true ("That UI is clunky!", "No way, that's just a reskinned app!") isn't really important to me.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i understand your opinion regarding boot times (not that it affects me as i rarely turn the touchpad off) but again your another person who slates a whole OS based off your opinion of varying Apps, the performance of Dolphin and ADVB have little to do with how well android or webOS work.

    If an app sucks then its just that, the app sucks, if webOS lagged as bad as you say then every app would be just as terrible and at least imho thats not the case.

    Im also guessing ADVB is a tad slow mostly due to refreshing the mini-pics from our bookmarks, seeing as its the 3rd party Snapshots - websnapr - Website Thumbnails For Your Website providing the updated images, this is a guess seeing as its not that much different to the stock app.

    You could even coutner that android sucks because dolphin hd on my android devices is much slower compared to erm, opera on the same devices, we cant just slate android/webos because of 2 apps that are totally different.
    Seriously I didn't intend to slate webOS. I mention the browsing apps as examples only because they are what I use most. I have more examples (Facebook app on webOS missing posts, not so on Android - and apps in generally taking several seconds to launch via webOS) and yes they are based on apps but that's because the apps I use define my experience with the device. Personally I find Android much more satisfying in terms of the overall experience.

    This is just my opinion and no offence is intended. I still have a soft spot for webOS truth be told. I just find CM9 gives me more options and suits my needs better.
  7. xezat's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #47  
    I think I've been in webOS actually more than CM9...granted I don't use nightly, I use the Alpha 2 build, but I keep it in webOS largely because I hate the battery life when in CM9 and am afraid of forgetting to charge it when low and having it die on me, which apparently causes a lot of bad issues. Otherwise I just switch to CM9 only to play games or watch Netflix or to access whatever apps webOS doesn't have, I do most of the surfing and writing in webOS otherwise.
  8. #48  
    I initially installed CM9 when I was having WiFi problems with WebOS. I gave it two weeks, and I was back with WebOS and found a fix for my WiFi problems. I boot into CM9 maybe once a week now, but spend most of my time in WebOS. The main reasons I prefer WebOS are:
    1) Battery life.
    2) Cardview.
    3) I was able to "buy" about $75 worth of games for free between the $50 credit from HP and the free newsletter applications. I don't want to spend that kind of money to get the equivalent applications on CM9.
    4) Most of the free apps on CM9 are phone based and pretty much suck on the tablet. There are lots of good TouchPad supported free applications with WebOS.
    5) Preware and all that it implies.

    Other comments:
    1) I really don't think the boot time of WebOS is that much more than CM9. If you count the time it takes CM9 to validate the SD card and enable the network, it's not that much quicker.
    2) I do like having multiple application catalogs (Play and Amazon) to get applications. I just wish the Tablet selection was better.
    3) I'm overclocking my TouchPad to 1.7G with WebOS and don't experience any lag. Even at this high clock speed, I'm getting much better battery life.
    mafu6 likes this.
  9. noseph's Avatar
    Posts
    727 Posts
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    #49  
    At what point did this become an us against them thread?
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

    Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

    Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

    Twitter: @noseph47
    Jophiel likes this.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by EndOfLevelBoss View Post
    Seriously I didn't intend to slate webOS. I mention the browsing apps as examples only because they are what I use most. I have more examples (Facebook app on webOS missing posts, not so on Android - and apps in generally taking several seconds to launch via webOS) and yes they are based on apps but that's because the apps I use define my experience with the device. Personally I find Android much more satisfying in terms of the overall experience.

    This is just my opinion and no offence is intended. I still have a soft spot for webOS truth be told. I just find CM9 gives me more options and suits my needs better.
    I said its something we all shouldn't do, I for one do the same when thinking of my shiney ps vita, awesome hardware but because it has far FAR less than ios, android and even webos I find I also like you have to compare it to what I use as well and I find the vita "rubbish" as well, hell I only got netflix for it by using a dirty workaround euro users have to do, beyond that I never use it either.

    is it bad tho, app/game wise I'd have to say yes, if it had all it needed tho it would be good, same as if webos had the same love android has apps wise.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    At what point did this become an us against them thread?
    to be fair the thread title kinda implies/encourages it from the get go.
  12. #52  
    to be fair the thread title kinda implies/encourages it from the get go.
    I agree.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  13. noseph's Avatar
    Posts
    727 Posts
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    #53  
    So you are trolling an Android on TouchPad sub forum!
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

    Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

    Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

    Twitter: @noseph47
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    So you are trolling an Android on TouchPad sub forum!
    if you mean me, then no, im replying to a few comments directed about webOS apparantly sucking, which just happens to be in an android subforum of webos, which is why i dont comment in the android forums when i see the same there.
  15. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    if you mean me, then no, im replying to a few comments directed about webOS apparantly sucking, which just happens to be in an android subforum of webos, which is why i dont comment in the android forums when i see the same there.
    I'm too lazy to look back again but I don't remember anyone saying WebOS sucked. I have seen people saying the apps, app selection, ecosystem, updates, and browser suck but not so much the OS itself. Unfortunately, a mobile OS is only as good as it's ecosystem and WebOS has been abandoned by all the pertinent apps(facebook, kindle, many games that never got a majority of the updates like Angry Birds).

    I will say that WebOS was slow and laggy when I bought the Touchpad, which contributed to all the reviews of that the OS was half baked and why the sales sucked. The later updates should have been in place at the beginning and the reviews would have lauded WebOS as a good system.

    I love WebOS as a mobile OS for a tablet but hardly any apps, especially when you count how many have never been updated, and no hardware coming out means that WebOS is dead, ca-put, and will never be a player in the mobile market. Android and IOS are kings, with Windows and Blackberry picking up the remaining scraps, until Windows catches on. There's not enough room for 5 operating systems. I doubt there's enough for 4 and RIM is the next to fall. WebOS is the OS with all the potential and it was given that designation for a long, long time but the OS never was anything more than that....potential.
  16.    #56  
    Its been interesting to read all the comments in this thread since I did the OP.

    To clarify, I dont think that WebOS sucked AT ALL, for the 9+ months that I was using it on my TP, and neither does my family/friends that bought them during the Firesale at $149 (for a 32GB unit).

    I miss the swipes, gestures, and cards etc, that I had in 3.05 (with Preware n/patches installed etc).

    But as others have pointed out, the ecosystem supporting the OS is even more important than the OS itself.

    And I already had purchased TONS of apps etc, for both my Galaxy S phone, and CM7 Nook Color, and they (unfortunately) make all the difference in the world for my Tablet experience (given that I can download/update them onto my CM9 TP, without repaying for them again).

    Want to have a separate browser dedicated to reading the NYTimes? Check....

    Want a Email App that allows you to log into your work MS Exchange server, without forcing you set a PIN on your Tablet? Check.....

    Want a fully updated, downloadable map GPS program that cost me $3 with 1Yr of Map updates (not the $50 that NDrive tried to charge), that can use my Bluetooth GPS module? Check....

    Want the SNAPPIEST/Best Browser for your TP? Its definitely not the Built-In Browser, and not even Advanced Browser (which IS better than the stock TP browser). Which one is it? Well, you get to choose between the CM9 Browser, or Dolphin Browser HD, and Google Chrome for ICS, all of which are FREE. (Paying for Advanced Browser, just to get Tabs, SUCKS. Cards dont work as a medium for conveniently opening multiple browser windows, and switching easily between them).

    CM9 on TP is *NOT* perfect yet (hence the nightlies), and is NOT for the faint of heart to install (ie, the 1st install, on a virgin TP), but if you are a bit techy, its doable the 1st time, and subsequent updates go really smoothly.

    Since I did the install that weekend last month, I have only booted into WebOS for Skype video calls, which still isnt 100% on CM9 on the TP.

    Everything else, I can simply do more/better/faster/cheaper under CM9.

    WebOS has/had great POTENTIAL as an OS, but there's potential and then there's reality.....

    And the joke goes as follows:

    Little kid goes to his dad and asks him, "Dad, whats the difference between Potential and Reality?"

    Dad thinks for a few seconds and says to him "Go ask your mother if she would sleep with the mailman, for $1 Million".

    Kid is surprised, but does as his father says. His mother acts a bit surprised, but replies "For $1 Million, yea I would do it".

    Kid goes back, and reports this to his dad.

    Dad then says to him "Go ask your sister if she would sleep with the neighbor, for $1 Million".

    Kid is surprised, but does as his father says. His sister acts a bit surprised, but replies "For $1 Million, yea I would do it".

    Kid goes back, and reports this to his dad.

    Dad says "Son, that is the difference between Potential and Reality. Potentially we have $2 Million.... In REALITY, we have two SLUTS."

    Ah, the potential........

    :-)
  17. #57  
    I personally didn't see a single review of the touchpad/webos being slow or other issues until well after leo pulled the plug, that's what killed it rather than some reviews not many would have read in time.

    I personally think there's enough room for anything as long as its good, don't know about others but I'm not going to use something I don't like just because that's all there is available, which is why my android tablet and ps vita are in a drawer unused.

    its unfortunate that some have various issues and feel they need android or ios for better results but there's still many who don't suffer the same issues, the bad experiences of some doesn't mean webos performs bad for all, and I still feels that comparing totally different apps on different platforms is no way to judge a whole OS.
  18. T-Pad's Avatar
    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    #58  
    I rarely use CM9, but if I do I notice the advantage in browser speed (Opera Mobile) is amazing compared to webOS' browsers (at least for my browsing habits). If only webOS had a faster browser - reading my favorite sites takes much more time (me waiting for the page to load/render) than using an Android browser. Unfortunately the live stream of my favorite TV network does not work with webOS anymore although it is Flash based.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  19. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #59  
    WebOS itself is very good now (mostly - stil one or two niggles). But it is the apps that make or break it for me. There are things I cannot do easily (or at all) in WebOS which I can do in CM9. I can live with the lack of true multi-tasking. But I cannot live with the lack of productivity.

    Alan
  20. #60  
    I always wonder why opera decided not to bring their browser to webos. You would think for the last place browser on pc it would be worth it to them for name recognition. Was it really that difficult or something else?

    Anyways with webos not having the ability choose default browser it would get annoying pretty fast to have to use two browsers.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions