Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    WebOS 98% of the time (prefer the interface)

CM9 2% (to watch netflix)
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    cyberprashant likes this.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    I boot into webOS EVERYDAY i use it far more than Android... actually tbh I only use android to play social games like words with friends, draw something. Everything else I use is avaliable on webOS and runs alot better.

I cant wait for Open webOS, I hope it gets the support and development it needs!
    The road to success is always under construction
    Quote Originally Posted by mafu6 View Post
    I boot into webOS EVERYDAY i use it far more than Android... actually tbh I only use android to play social games like words with friends, draw something. Everything else I use is avaliable on webOS and runs alot better.

I cant wait for Open webOS, I hope it gets the support and development it needs!
    +1, I only boot into android to play Max Payne.

Draw Something was/is about the only app I "play"....and I'm starting to lose interest, mostly because it's a PITA to boot up just for that. I've tried some other games....just not a tablet/phone gamer, really. I might play any given game a dozen times, and for the most part, they usually collect dust. I'm actually playing Draw Something on my PC, through Blue Stacks. You can get pretty intricate on a big screen.

Very, very rarely can I not access certain webpages....Bell Mobility, and Shaw cable are 2 good examples, but it is so rare that I need to go to those sites, it doesn't bother me to use my PC. I have never had any problems with 3 different Canadian banks with my TouchPad. I don't use any sort of business applications, so webOS suits me just fine, and the interface is awesome. Netflix north of the 49th parallel is atrocious, I've had 2 free months with them and I'd rather pay my cable company than watch what they have to offer.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Lots of people keeps telling me to install Android on the HP TouchPad, if I criticize WebOS for the lack of apps on the HP Catalog. But, every time that I think that I have to go through a convoluted install process of grab-drop files here and there....kinda makes me want to not install the CM9 program on my tablet.
    I personally found it so painless that I was afraid to grab any Nightlies for fear of messing up my good thing. But I've seen enough reports of people having a hassle with it that I won't claim my experience will be yours.

Personally, assuming you have the space and all, I just see it as more options so I can't imagine why someone would really be against it. WebOS is there for me if I want it; I just haven't wanted it for anything. But I have no idea why some people get so defensive about it -- it's like adding a hundred channels to your cable line up for free and then listening to someone go on about how dumb all those channels are and why on earth would anyone want more channels when their twenty channels are just fine. So, fine, watch your twenty and I'll enjoy my 120 and we're all happy.

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007
    I've tried some other games....just not a tablet/phone gamer, really. I might play any given game a dozen times, and for the most part, they usually collect dust
    I'm sort of the same way in that I tend to play them for a few weeks and then stop aside from some favorites. But I like that Android gives me more games to chew through. I haven't seen a new game of note on webOS in forever.
    GLtron is fairly recent, and kinda fun, albeit repetitive. Especially if you're of the Tron 1.0 generation
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    lets be real here for most its netflix and tons of average/malware infested games that attract them.

mostly...
    Yes, let's be honest. I've tried over a hundred Android apps on my phone and none of them were malware infested and a majority of them were much better than anything I could get from WebOS. Maybe you like downloading the Asian girls apps that cause some ignorant people issues.
    mafu6 likes this.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    If anyone is interested in using this to make them feel a little bit better about betraying webOS by using Android then maybe this will help soften the blow. This is not my work and its on the Google Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result

and this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bGF1bmNoZXIiXQ..

And hopefully you will feel better
    noseph likes this.
    If anyone is interested in using this to make them feel a little bit better about betraying webOS by using Android then maybe this will help soften the blow. This is not my work and its on the Google Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result

and this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bGF1bmNoZXIiXQ..

And hopefully you will feel better
    the wave launcher app for android is quite amusing in that webos is only mentioned far bottom in tags and never in the app info or description, even more funny when you read some user reviews and see comments like "demonstrates how powerful and useful android can be".

did make me chuckle, if they knew it was basic/core webos stuff right away i wonder if some reviews would change at all.

tried a fair few of apps like that plus the app cards/toss away one mentioned on cm9 forums but they still dont feel the same, they do work but they still operate like a slow clunky extra which is a pity.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the wave launcher app for android is quite amusing in that webos is only mentioned far bottom in tags and never in the app info or description, even more funny when you read some user reviews and see comments like "demonstrates how powerful and useful android can be".

did make me chuckle, if they knew it was basic/core webos stuff right away i wonder if some reviews would change at all.

tried a fair few of apps like that plus the app cards/toss away one mentioned on cm9 forums but they still dont feel the same, they do work but they still operate like a slow clunky extra which is a pity.
    100% agreed no matter what Android does it still feels slow and clunky compared to the smoothness of webOS, ////also many people are unaware that webOS even exsisted. I am from the UK and when i show people my Touchpad and Pre 3 they are all like ... WOW thats cool, must be a new device, when did that come out! I am aware of the problem Palm had with exclusivity in the US and it also suffered the same fate in the UK selling exclusivity to O2 here...

If Open webOS gathers momentum and is adopted by a few OEMs even as a second OS (hopefully this will happen) and apps are developed then the question will evolve into, When was the last time you booted into Android?
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    Smoothness of webos? I agree android isn't that great on tablets but I don't think webos is any different. I have never seen android take 15 seconds just to open a PDF or word document. That's a major problem to me. Consumers do not like slow so lots of work needs to be one on the software side. Since the whole OS is based on the web I kind of doubt it can be any faster..
    PDF handling has little to do with the OS itsself, thats all 3rd party stuff, so if you want to knock the PDF apps, then knock the apps, not the OS, and basing an entire counter argument vs an OS's smoothness by using a 3rd party app to make an example of the whole OS is also a bit wrong.

thats like me saying all of android is crap because getting linux on it hassle free is considerably more painful than on webos.
    mafu6 likes this.
    Pretty much everything takes a while to open up so it has something to do with the design. Typing is also laggy due to the delay in touch response.
    i dont have these issues, which probably is another reason i get confused when i see "some" posts that say the same, then again ive also read posts of various hardware issues which i havent had either, im guessing another factor is what patches/homebrew is installed if any as well, i know my pre3 wasnt very optimal before i had a new kernel and mode switcher + various other useful patches installed.
    The fact that you need to hack just to get it working a little better proves my point.
    because no1 roots/hacks their iphones or android devices to make them work better even getting some decent anti mal/adware removers require a rooted android phone.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Can someone tell me apart from Netflix and Games they can't do on webOS?

I am expecting a long list now but i get everything i want out of webOS.

There is a difference between Rooting and Hacking your phone the Android way compared to the webOS way. The webOS way is far far far simpler and far far far more safer. But agreed EVERYONE Roots/Hacks Patches their phone/tablet for 1 reason and 1 reason only.... To make it better.
    Haven't used webos since the first alpha of cm9 and I only did that to check webos still worked. Webos just feels so slow compared to android, I can't stand using it anymore.
    Touchpad Handbrake Video Settings:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html

My collection of backgrounds for WebOS:
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Wallpapers/
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I use webos 98% and CM9 only 2% of the time.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I am the other way. My Webos TouchPad sits on its stand most of the time. My CM9 TouchPad is in constant use.

Example. CM9 comes with an alarm clock which I can set to only go off on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Webos needs me to find/buy a separate app.

Alan
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I am the other way. My Webos TouchPad sits on its stand most of the time. My CM9 TouchPad is in constant use.

Example. CM9 comes with an alarm clock which I can set to only go off on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Webos needs me to find/buy a separate app.

Alan
    Really...? My webOs alarm clock works fine for individual days and weekends and weekdays and if I need to set it for Tues, Wed, Thur then I set different alarms.... Bit Lazy if you ask me that!
    How do you get it done for individual days when there is no option for individual days? I don't follow. The alarm doesn't even work right with it sometimes not going off.
    I think he's saying to set it the night before for each day you need a different time for the alarm to be set. Stop being a lazy ***.
    Can someone tell me apart from Netflix and Games they can't do on webOS?
    Not counting games (of which there's tons) or Netflix and going only off things actively on my screens (i.e. not going into the apps list), I see...

- Xfinity App
    - LinkedIn App (Edit: it looks like there's a phone version for webOS)
    - Slate App
    - The Hill App
    - Working Gmail app that doesn't require kludge workarounds for things like Archives
    - Google Music
    - Dolphin -- Ability to pay my utilities and access my bank online (neither will clear through the webOS browser)
    - Steam App
    - Alarm.com app (ability to set monitor home alarm)

I also don't count Android apps in which a workable alternative exists in webOS (like Twitter or various media players). Also, I have the benefit that I can download apps for my Android phone and use them on my tablet as well. I understand that maybe you don't care about any of those apps but I do and since it's my tablet, I'm happy to see them available.

Apps I have & use in webOS that I can't get in Android...

The closest I can think of is that I like the Comics HD app better than anything I've found on Android although the Android one is about 95% the same. I think I have a clear winner. But, once again, the beauty is that if there WAS a webOS app I wanted to use which I couldn't access in Android, I just boot into webOS. I lose nothing and gain tons
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast