1.    #1  
    In CM9 ....

Closing an app requires you to press the home button, press the recent apps button, and then visually locate the app on the list (after scrolling if there are too many apps) and then swiping it off the list.

Is there a quicker way of closing an app once you are done with it?

This looks like a pretty basic feature, but requires too many clicks and swipes -- maybe I am missing something ?

Thanks!
    No, that's the way to do it, but the key point is that it is part of Android's design that closing apps is unnecessary. The intention is that you just leave them alone and Android will close apps automatically that have been idle for longest when it needs resources.

Having said that, I do close them myself, but usually just at the end of the day when I want to make sure that nothing's going to eat my battery overnight. "Cleaning up" the list like this is pretty quick. It's only if you make a point of closing every app individually after you've finished with it that it's tedious.

Spyke
  3.    #3  
    Hmm okay. Thats interesting -- didnt know android does that : automatically closing apps that were idle for very long

does it mean we should really not bother closing the apps when we are done with it?

does it not affect the performance one bit? what if some of the apps use network or procesor resources in the background -- like a sports live scorecard webpage open in a browser that keeps refreshing itself?

i still like to keep the open apps list small and clean --

i may not want to keep my personal browsing sessions open, for instance

wish there were an easy way of closing an app

thanks
    I'm sure that there are some apps which use resources in the background, but I've not noticed a hit to performance, and the biggest drain on the battery is the screen by far, followed by wifi, I'd imagine.

But by all means shut apps down if you're worried about them.

"wish there were an easy way of closing an app"

Well, it's only one tap more than in webOS... it's just not as intuitive. (Though note that in CM9 you can also close apps while you are in another, which is quicker than in webOS.)

Spyke
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    note that in CM9 you can also close apps while you are in another, which is quicker than in webOS.
    true true
    settings => developer options => kill app back button => check

press & hold back => closed
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

Sooper!

Cant wait to try this one when I get back home.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

Is there some online documentation about the various developer options like these?

Thanks!
  9.    #9  
    After enabling in the developer options, The long press of the back button does "kill" the app, but leaves it in the Recent Apps list.

(somewhat like what was mentioned in the link shared by @Spyke in a separate thread --
    http://android.stackexchange.com/que...cent-apps-list)