webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Novacom Stuck on "Initializing"
Novacom Stuck on "Initializing"
Like Tree4Likes

Old 05/27/2012, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have all the files needed and ready to go for the install, but when I try to launch Novacom it stays at "Initializing" for ever.

I've searched everywhere for a reason/fix for this but I haven't been able to find anything other than someone saying they had the same problem and fixed it by opening up his firewall to Java. I've done this but it's still not making it past the initialization.

Does anyone have a better idea of what I need to do?
Slurmz McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/2012, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

start here: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/2012, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I've seen that, I've been following the directions for the install. The problem is I've only seen two other instances of my problem. One was a firewall issue, the other one never followed up with how it was fixed.

Like I said, I've disabled my firewall and tried the driver download, rebooted in safe mode and tried the download, even tried the WebOS Quick Install to get the drivers that way and none of those methods have worked.
Old 05/27/2012, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have tried it all as well. After 6 hours, I am beyond frustrated.

I have used these tutorials step-by-step and tried every trick suggested:
Idiots Guide 2.0 - Install Android on HP Touchpad - YouTube
How to install Android 4.0 on the HP TouchPad (CyanogenMod 9 Alpha) - Liliputing
[Release][Alpha2] CyanogenMod 9 Touchpad - CyanogenMod [HP Touchpad] - RootzWiki
HP Touchpad: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki

The only other interesting comments I have found is individuals not being able to download novacom on Windows7 machines and having successs when attempting on a windows XP machine.

Can anyone help?
kristitrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2012, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristitrader View Post
I have tried it all as well. After 6 hours, I am beyond frustrated.

I have used these tutorials step-by-step and tried every trick suggested:
Idiots Guide 2.0 - Install Android on HP Touchpad - YouTube
How to install Android 4.0 on the HP TouchPad (CyanogenMod 9 Alpha) - Liliputing
[Release][Alpha2] CyanogenMod 9 Touchpad - CyanogenMod [HP Touchpad] - RootzWiki
HP Touchpad: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki

The only other interesting comments I have found is individuals not being able to download novacom on Windows7 machines and having successs when attempting on a windows XP machine.

Can anyone help?
It has also been recommended to attempt on a 32-bit versus 64-bit machine.
kristitrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2012, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

No issues on my 64bit Win7.....not sure how to help you though.

At the command prompt (in bold) I would type the following, and it just works.
(With TouchPad hooked up and in Recovery Mode, giant USB logo showing)

C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc>novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2
Old 06/04/2012, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bumping this because we can't be the only two people having this problem, someone has to have a solution.

I'm also running Windows 7, tried reinstalling Java, deleting and re-downloading the Novacom installer, and nothing is working.
Liked by Luis Fernando Savin Guillen likes this.
Old 06/09/2012, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am also having the same issue. Windows 7 64bit and "Downloading Novacom Drivers" stuck at "Initializing". Please help. I have disabled windows firewall and AVG antivirus firewall. but, still no luck...
stonescotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2012, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Very strange. I get this on my laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium, but not on my desktop running Windows 7 Professional. There are some slight differences in the networking software between the two that must be accounting for this.
russd2357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

I too am having this problem and can't find anything online to help me solve this. Please let me know if anyone can figure it out. I tried turning off my firewall , but that didnt work either, still stuck at installing driver after 5 hours.
HLthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Can a specific driver be sent just for the windows 7 64 bit that can be installed without all the other stuff?
Old 07/15/2012, 03:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLthe1 View Post
Can a specific driver be sent just for the windows 7 64 bit that can be installed without all the other stuff?
I am also having this problem, Windows 7 64bit, its driving me mad, plus no one seems to be able to solve it.
Could it be Java related??
Reason my path as follows.

Decided to doctor TP prior to CM9 I am a noob at this and did a lot of reading prior.

Try to download the doctor from my account and when verifying Java installed says not available, follow link to Java site, confirms I have latest Java 7
Download doctor anyway run it to get Palm inc file look in Programs etc file is there but missing Novacom.exe file.
Run webos quick install click reinstall Novacom "Driver error".
Also I have downloaded the doctor via a mirror each time no Novacom.exe file. everything else is there but no exe file!

My conclusion.
Java issue?
Webos issue?.

It would help if there was a way just to get Novacom.exe file
WillWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 12:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

I was finally gonna try to instal Android on my TP, but I'm stuck with the same Problem as you guys:

Win7 64bit, Novacom just wouldn't go further than "initialzing" .

So, no, you're not alone....
chilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Luis Fernando Savin Guillen likes this.
Old 07/17/2012, 02:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Do any of you actually end up with Novacom being installed to your program files (or program files x86)?
On an xp system they are located in /program files/palm, inc/
You might also find them in \Program Files (x86)\HP webOS\SDK\bin

Also, have you all tried installing the drivers using the standalone jar installer by jason robataille?
universal-novacom-installer - Universal Novacom Installer - Google Project Hosting

One last thought is to ensure that you have your TP in the bootie recovery mode.
First, turn the touchpad off as directed above (shut it down completely, and disconnect the usb from your computer). Second, while the touchpad is OFF, hold the volume-UP button (i.e. left side). Third, while holding this button, plug the touchpad into the computer via USB and continue to hold the volume-UP button until you see the USB symbol on the TP's screen. This -should- get bootie up and running and show you an USB symbol on the touchpad screen.

Last edited by plgnply; 07/17/2012 at 02:24 PM.
plgnply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

It seems that some of you may not actually have been able to install novacom, while others did get it installed but it will not run correctly.

If you can find 'novacom.exe' on your system then you should try what sledge007 said in post #6. The easiest method would be to copy novacom.exe to the directory where you have acmeinstaller2 located, then run the command from within that directory using the syntax mentioned by sledge007.

If you cannot find 'novacom.exe' on your system then it may be as simple as downloading the exe from someplace, and then putting it in your acmeinstaller2 directory to run the command because I don't believe any kind of system device is installed in order to use the novacom executable. It's simple enough to try either way.
plgnply is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Michael Stammer likes this.
Old 07/19/2012, 10:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hi,

I'm french and i had the same problem.

I have, may be, a solution for all of you, but it's in a french website :
Comment installer Novacom pour HP webOS sur votre ordinateur ? | Le coin du net

For me, it's now good

Good luck !
Feez10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: snwynkoop
Old 07/19/2012, 02:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

So i think there is a bit of confusion as to what is going on with us installing this. I am trying to use the "get started guide" and following the steps as listed. It says to download novacom and has a link to do so. I click on that link and it downloads the file. When i double click on the "universal novacom.jar" file on my computer it starts to run and shows I have a 64 bit. I say install then click download and it just sits there saying "installing driver" for hours and doesnt do anything. This is the very first step so we can't even get past this to upgrade to cm9. The last reply linked to a french site but I dont know french so dont know what its telling me to do.
Old 07/20/2012, 10:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

I had the same issue with being stuck at the initializing screen during installation of the Universal Novacom drivers. Here's what I did to get around it...

Download the webosdoctor file from the link below. Then launch the Universal novacom driver install program again. When it gives you the option to either download the driver or select a webosdoctor file you already have, choose to select the file and select the one you just downloaded. Worked perfectly for me.

http://downloads.help.palm.com/webos...5hstnhwifi.jar
sesecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by chilvia likes this.
Old 07/20/2012, 03:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

I was just gonna post the same thing as "sescerets"

used the webosdocotor and I was able to download and install CM9 on my TP without any problems
chilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2012, 05:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesecrets View Post
I had the same issue with being stuck at the initializing screen during installation of the Universal Novacom drivers. Here's what I did to get around it...

Download the webosdoctor file from the link below. Then launch the Universal novacom driver install program again. When it gives you the option to either download the driver or select a webosdoctor file you already have, choose to select the file and select the one you just downloaded. Worked perfectly for me.

http://downloads.help.palm.com/webos...5hstnhwifi.jar
I have been struggling with the same problem. Here is a short summary of my travails:

I have now tried to install Novacom on three separate computers. Windows 7 Professional, XP Professional and XP Home, all 32-bit. The install hung and failed each time. At this point, the only common denominator I have is the wireless router or the Comcast cable signal.

On my oldest PC (XP Home, 32-bit), I got a message on the Novacomm Google download page that my MSIE version 7 browser was incompatible and that I should download with Firefox or Chrome. I tried Firefox on that oldest PC and the install still hung. So, I tried Chrome on my newest PC (Windows 7, 32-bit). That's not working either. I installed WebOS Doctor 3.05 using Chrome. This time I tried to select the WebOS Doctor files for the Novacom install. The select files installer is looking for a .jar file and there isn't one it can find in any of the subdirectories of the WebOS Doctor folder. So, how did people who used the select files option in the Novacom installer do it? I must be doing something wrong. I'm just downloading and extracting the WebOS Doctor on my PC. Do I have to have the TP connected to the PC in USB mode at the same time? In following the instructions, there isn't a step for hooking the TP and PC together at this stage. Do I need to run WebOS Doctor one time to get the .jar file? I'm reluctant to do that.

In reading this thread I have three major questions. Why can't I find a .jar file in the WebOS Doctor? Where can I find a novacom.exe file I can download, as one poster suggested? Did any of the earlier posters having the same problems find a solution? (None seem to have been posted) And, what was it?
snwynkoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0