Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MudShark22
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I know most of these questions have been answered somewhere but I do not have time to sift through thousands of posts to find them, so if anyone would like to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have not installed CM9 or any Android; I am still running stock. I want to thoroughly research it before I "droidify" my TouchPad.

So.

First off, I just want to confirm my reasoning regarding Google Apps. Google Apps are not supposed to be "legal" on a device which did not originally ship with them; however, the Google Play store is now able to detect these supposedly "illegal" devices. I am assuming that Google knows and is pretty much fine with it. Right?

Second, are the wifi and sound problems fixed yet? I know wifi is all but fixed, but what about the sound problems present in earlier builds? Not the mic, but the headphone/speaker problems?

Third, how is battery life? Just curious.

Fourth, how easy is it to remove entirely? I mean, moboot and all. Like a total restore. On the off chance that it wouldn't run on my TP, I want to be able to remove it cleanly, preferably without webOS Doctor.

Also, if I have doctored, I already have novacom right? Nobody has ever said that but I see novacom in my control panel programs list.

Thanks!
    Last edited by techlover10; 05/25/2012 at 06:10 PM.
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
    see comments.

Quote Originally Posted by techlover10 View Post
    Ok, so I know most of these questions have been answered somewhere but I do not have time to sift through thousands of posts to find them, so if anyone would like to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have not installed CM9 or any Android; I am still running stock. I want to thoroughly research it before I "droidify" my TouchPad.

So.

First off, I just want to confirm my reasoning regarding Google Apps. Google Apps are not supposed to be "legal" on a device which did not originally ship with them; however, the Google Play store is now able to detect these supposedly "illegal" devices. I am assuming that Google knows and is pretty much fine with it. Right?
    Does it matter? I just know it work. .

Second, are the wifi and sound problems fixed yet? I know wifi is all but fixed, but what about the sound problems present in earlier builds? Not the mic, but the headphone/speaker problems?
    I never had an issue with wifi or the sound. wifi issues seems to be from one's network setup.
    Battery life is good but I have "juice defender" to turn off wifi when not in use. I get almost a 2 days of standby time playing with it for a 1-2 hrs or so a day

Fourth, how easy is it to remove entirely? I mean, moboot and all. Like a total restore. On the off chance that it wouldn't run on my TP, I want to be able to remove it cleanly, preferably without webOS Doctor.
    I just use "ACMEUninstaller" and it removes everything cm9

Also, if I have doctored, I already have novacom right? Nobody has ever said that but I see novacom in my control panel programs list.
    go into your device mgr and see.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by nycdude450; 05/30/2012 at 03:36 PM.

So.

No idea on the "legalities" on it, but it works

Thanks!
    I just had to do a doctor with cm9 installed. Android is "gone", however all the folders associated with it are still in media/internal. I imagine the partition is still there as well. Not too worried about it, I'll probably reinstall it one of these days.

If you have used the webOS Doctor, or webOS Quick Install, then you already have it. Just follow the directions on where to put your files ie moboot, CWM, and whatever version of CM9/AOKP you are using (the cminstall folder that you create and put in the media/internal directory) and of course the gapps that you can just stick in media/internal (webOS Nations moboot theme as well, if you want webOS Nation moboot theme)

Personally, I like the AOKP build, it auto boots to webOS.

There's plenty of videos on YouTube as well, if you want to see exactly how to do it before you start, although I'd recommend reading the documentation as well. This one's a good one.

As for how it sounds, I use webOS for videos and my music...have the same problems as everyone else with sound distortion, but easily fixed with TouchVol's built in PulseAudio restarter. Battery life...not nearly as good as webOS, imo.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Re: removal of android

Running the AcmeUninstaller is one method of removing android from your TP. While it has not happened to me, there have been reports of the uninstaller not working completely.

As an alternate, from Preware, one can install/run "Remove Android"
    Then, using Tailor from the Preware beta feed, reclaim the disk space back to webos /media/internal.

Good luck! Its not as daunting as it may appear.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    sledge007 likes this.
  5.    #5  
    I'm sure nobody really thinks about the legalities but I noticed that goo.im started as a way for people with android marked enabled devices to restore easily after getting cyanogenmod. I'm a legal eagle, and I'm ok with staying with staying with the amazon app store if it means not risking my primary google account. The terms of use are also a bit ambiguous and I assume google is turning a blind eye to it. No one has encountered any legal probs?
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
    I'm not sure what you mean by risking your primary Google account. I am also under the impression that the CyanogenMod team also has the same legal ethics that you do, and if such a thing as loading gapps was illegal, they wouldn't instruct people to do so on their wiki page.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  7.    #7  
    Please note: The CyanogenMod Team, Team******, Steve Kondik (Cyanogen) and related parties are not involved with the creation of the Google Apps packages. The packages are found on the Internet, tested by a variety of community members, and if they pass testing and fill a need, they are marked as recommended by the Android community, and provided for download via trusted mirrors such as Goo.im. The Google Apps are the intellectual property of Google Inc., and are provided to restore the applications which come on devices which are licensed to have Google's proprietary code.

- from the Rootzwiki forums

It's not illegal for phones with it but for devices that did not originally ship with it it is a gray area.