View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with CM9 for TouchPad?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Satisfied

32 36.78%
  • Satisfied

34 39.08%
  • Neutral

14 16.09%
  • Unsatisfied

2 2.30%
  • Extremely Unsatisfied

0 0%
  • I do not have CM9

5 5.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Got to say, having CM9 on the TouchPad is extremely useful many a times. Also, and it pains me to say it, but it runs quite well.. in certain scenarios it excels webOS at certain tasks.. A.K.A. tabbed web browsing. I can have 20-30 tabs open in CM9 stock browser with very good speeds, and in webOS Advanced Browser just feels sluggish in comparison.

This is my small expression of gratitude for the guys that ported it, even if it wasn't for the reason I'd have wanted it's proven to be useful to me in many ways and allowed me to access and use an operating system I'd previously had no experience with whatsoever.

Also attached to this thread is a minor informal poll (nothing big, no flamewars here please) for how satisfied you are with CM9.

Good day to all.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Android is ugly. Specially compared to webos. Utterly confusing at times. But unfortunately the apps do make a difference. And yes everything runs smoothly. No lag.

Webos is a beautiful, buggy, stuttering OS which I think with a little moee time and effort drom the Palm team could have made it the only mobile OS better than iOS.

Sent from my White Touchpad with Communities
    bluenote likes this.
    I mean like...it's okay. There's nothing I really NEED on that end. I do love Dolphin browser, but really it's not more useful to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    There are Webos things I like better (keyboard is one), but overall, I feel more productive with webos/

Alan
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    There are Webos things I like better (keyboard is one), but overall, I feel more productive with webos/

Alan
    Get Swiftkey X and you'll change your opinion on the Touchpad keyboard being better.
    I have it, but never use it. It isn't for me... When I cannot get the browser to do what I need it to do on the touchpad I use firefox in ubuntu chroot. That way I don't have to boot into a different os, I can just have it in a card, perhaps if there was a cm9 chroot I might use it, but as it sits, I don't like android and don't want to go through the trouble of booting into it real quick to do something then rebooting back to webos.
    I boot into CM9 and go to the NPR website using Dolphin browser so I can play All Things Consider while I'm taking a bath. TP won't play NPR stream. Same goes for any UStream, Livestream shows I want to catch. There are many things webOS simply cannot do. However watching Youtube videos is worlds better on TP browser than on CM9 with its crappy Youtube app.
    Satisfied. I have no problems with the Android system and find the bunch of available applications to be far superior to WebOS. I only passed on "Very Satisfied" because of the non-functional camera/mic and games by certain companies not working on it and a few other minor glitches. But I run it with CM9 almost exclusively these days and recently bought a second 32gb model to give to my son with the expectation that he'll mainly use it for the same. The job the porting team has done far exceeded my expectations back in the fire sale days when it was first announced that someone would try to port Android over.
    I've only had my touchpad a few weeks and use it mainly for surfing and email. I've had CM9 on for most of that time. I have no use for the camera so I don't miss it, nor the mic, although it would be nice to have them. I installed the hackers keyboard and tueaked it to my liking. I haven't booted back into Webos since. For me CM9 is running as smooth as webos and most of the time I forget there is another os on the tablet. I enjoy the ability to sync apps between my android phone and the touchpad. The card system in webos is super slick but all the apps and support android brings out weigh that.
    Jophiel summed up my feelings exactly. Satisfied here. I really like webOS, but I'm now thinking ahead to another Android 4 tablet which would make me Very Satisfied.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    camera and Mic don't work and probably never will. Multitasking is inferior. Constant WiFi problems. Only thing that is better is dolphin browser and some other apps. Everything else is subpar.
    Ironically, the only reason why I care about the mic is because there's some Android voice apps that look like they'd be fun to mess with. They're not available for WebOS so the only WebOS application I have for the mic is Skype. Likewise, there's some photo editing apps for Android that might be fun if the camera worked but the only use I'd have for the camera in WebOS is... Skype.

Since I can always boot into WebOS for Skype, the lack of the camera/mic in Android isn't a real negative for me over WebOS so much as a "It'd be nice..." The beauty of course being that CM9 gives you a ton of new options while taking zero away.
    I love webOS and use a Pre 2 for my phone, but sadly the shear abundance of apps on CM9 that aren't available in webOS means I use CM9 now more by a factor of 3 to 1. Whether it's to play DrawSomething with my kids or play some of the other awesome games, watch a NetFlix movie or even just to surf, CM9 makes my TouchPad so much more usable.

I booted back into webOS this weekend for something and was just sad that I couldn't stay there. The OS is just so much better than still a very, very good CM9 experience, but without CM9 my tablet would just sit on the charger a lot more.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ALuckyGuy View Post
    but without CM9 my tablet would just sit on the charger a lot more.
    Funny, mine sits on the charge a lot more with CM9 as the battery life sucks compared to webOS. :-)

If CM9 gets stable wifi, then I'll be happy with it. Right now the wifi is so flaky that its a crapshoot whether it connects or not, needs a reboot or not, etc. Camera would be a nice to have, but not critical.

Fixes needed:
    1. Wifi
    2. Intermittent sound issues
    3. Camera / Mic
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryphter View Post
    Funny, mine sits on the charge a lot more with CM9 as the battery life sucks compared to webOS. :-)

If CM9 gets stable wifi, then I'll be happy with it. Right now the wifi is so flaky that its a crapshoot whether it connects or not, needs a reboot or not, etc. Camera would be a nice to have, but not critical.

Fixes needed:
    1. Wifi
    2. Intermittent sound issues
    3. Camera / Mic
    Have you tried any of the Official/Un-Official builds since 05/22? Issues 1 & 2 have been reported by most to be fixed. Issue 3 may never get resolved.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Nothing wrong with CM9 IMHO, but, IMHO, Android's only benefit is games and some apps. As an OS it's awkward.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Nothing wrong with CM9 IMHO, but, IMHO, Android's only benefit is games and some apps. As an OS it's awkward.
    Without games and apps, it's just a $150 cheese tray. But then I never had any issues with Android. WebOS strikes me as marginally better but I'll admit that I never feel the need to multitask or anything. I open one application, use it until I'm done, close and move on. If I acted otherwise maybe I'd be more enamored with WebOS.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up about the fixes. I hadn't bothered with the nightlies since my Wifi worked fine but having the speakers fixed is nice. Listening to Pandora right now with the tablet "sleeping" and no static-filled mess.
    Last edited by Jophiel; 05/30/2012 at 07:23 PM.
    I love webOS and use a Pre 2 for my phone, but sadly the shear abundance of apps on CM9 that aren't available in webOS means I use CM9 now more by a factor of 3 to 1. Whether it's to play DrawSomething with my kids or play some of the other awesome games, watch a NetFlix movie or even just to surf, CM9 makes my TouchPad so much more usable.

I booted back into webOS this weekend for something and was just sad that I couldn't stay there. The OS is just so much better than still a very, very good CM9 experience, but without CM9 my tablet would just sit on the charger a lot more.
    I understand where you are coming from with the apps. I had hoped that webOS would continue to get some support in that area, but that is not so. I recently completely removed CM9 from my TouchPad for a third time. I liked having the apps, I hated using the OS.

However, there is more to the story. I realized once again that the vast majority of what I do on my tablet, webOS covers. I have a NetFlix account that we use more as a family than I use as an individual. My family is not going to crowd around a 10 inch screen to watch a movie, so I use NetFlix on my PS3 more. The web browsers on Android are chock full of features but unstable as heck. Flash has more problems on Android than on the webOS browsers. Dolphin seems to miss every other link I click on. It is frustration because you hear the audible click yet nothing happens. It is so disappointing because Dolphin receives updates regularly that keep adding features but never address the stability issues. It has not been a joy using any of them as some folks like to mention. The PDF viewers are just as screwed up on Android as they are on webOS, but Android has more of them to sift through and be frustrated with. I don't believe that I found myself coming back to webOS just to view PDFs. Same with other office software. I hate all of the Android keyboards. The one on webOS is simple, there are no fancy themes to have to worry about that never seem to look right, I can type on it like a normal keyboard, the keys register on the first touch, and it has a dedicated numbers row. BTW, does HP/Palm have a patent on the numbers row? You would think that it would be copied widely by others. Spell check on Android is annoying. That hasn't change with any of the keyboards I found. The games are meh for me. I downloaded a bunch of games from different genres but I could never find one interesting enough to play for an extended period of time. I think Tank Hero was the one I played the most. I play RTS games the most which Android (and webOS) is very lacking in. The ones it does have just plain suck. I bought C&C The First Decade for my computer and that gets the most of my attention when I want to play a game, followed by NOVA 2, Asphalt 6, and Freecell; all of which are already available for the TouchPad. The video podcast suites on Android are the same caliber as VideoFlood HD so there was no plus there. I think the only places were Android truly excels for me is with the new YouTube app (no surprise there since Google owns both YouTube and Android), the Navigation app (although the new Google Maps for webOS is awesome also), and the fact that I can control my TV from it (which isn't really a plus since it annoys the heck out of my wife).

I know I wrote a lot and kind of went off on a tangent. I think it just came down to: Android has a lot of apps that I just don't need enough to justify the other issues with Android that I just can't stand. WebOS is easier to use plus it looks and works better on the hardware.

I also installed Ubuntu 11.10 on my TouchPad. Once the sound gets fixed on it I will be like "Android who?"

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Without games and apps, it's just a $150 cheese tray. But then I never had any issues with Android. WebOS strikes me as marginally better but I'll admit that I never feel the need to multitask or anything. I open one application, use it until I'm done, close and move on. If I acted otherwise maybe I'd be more enamored with WebOS.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up about the fixes. I hadn't bothered with the nightlies since my Wifi worked fine but having the speakers fixed is nice. Listening to Pandora right now with the tablet "sleeping" and no static-filled mess.
    Glad to see the sound finally got fixed. Forgot to mention that in my previous rant. I hated that you could not turn off the screen when listening to music. As much as I dislike using Android some times I have always been impressed with the Cyanogen Mod Team's work. BTW, Apollo for webOS is way better than Pandora on Android. I like the Spotify hack for webOS better than Android's official Spotify app also.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Trying Apollo now. It is very nicely laid out but, since Pandora is a "fire & forget" sort of app for me, I don't see myself rebooting into webOS just to use it. Be nice for when I'm already in that system though.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast