View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with CM9 for TouchPad?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Satisfied

32 36.78%
  • Satisfied

34 39.08%
  • Neutral

14 16.09%
  • Unsatisfied

2 2.30%
  • Extremely Unsatisfied

0 0%
  • I do not have CM9

5 5.75%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Sad to say but I loaded CM9 yesterday and will very rarely ever boot back to WebOS...

1) Amazing how fast CM9 boots and never any lag. Proves that the Touchpad hardware is very good. While the GUI for WebOS is great, the underneath OS is weak and causes the lag. It is beyond doubt now.

2) Multitaking card system is GREAT. Matthias Duarte,creator of WebOS and ICS, realized that displaying cards vertically is superior to horizontal because screens are much longer than wide; you can fit more cards on the screen at once instead of only one on WebOS. Only downside is no stacking in ICS.

3) Flash runs 1000% better on ICS; never has choppy video or video getting stuck while audio still runs with video trying to catch up.

4)Facebook app is a LOT better. The one in WebOS is half baked.

5) Netflix plus plenty of other apps.

I could go on but I won't. Only think I miss is stacking browser cars on top of the emails that had the links in them.
    I agree with #1 and #5. I can't agree with #2 because you can't close the active app with ICS/CM9's system and you can't use a gesture to open up the "card" view. For #3, it has been the opposite for me. Flash on webOS has been rock solid. I don't have choppiness or audio problems and I always select full HD for Flash videos. I definitely prefer to use Flash on webOS because I have only had 2 times I can remember Flash crashing on webOS and more times crashing on Android then I care to mention. Even with all that said, Android has a far better YouTube App then webOS. For #4, I have to vehemently disagree with you. The Facebook app on ICS is horrible. WebOS has a better Facebook app with better integration than Android. Android's Facebook app has been a total letdown. All of the mobile Facebook apps are letdowns in one way or another. Someone even started a thread trying to find a decent Facebook app for Android here. Good luck to him/her.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    I think #2 is very much a matter of feel. I spend 99% of my time in CM9 now, but I still think that the webOS card handling is more intuitive. However, and it's a big however, webOS uses the whole tablet screen to deliver it, and it's only available back at the home screen, so on balance I find CM9's more useable.

On #3 I agree with k4ever; I've found Flash to work better in webOS. They're both eminently useable though. It might be the browser you're using on CM9 (I use Dolphin).

Spyke
    I think #2 is very much a matter of feel. I spend 99% of my time in CM9 now, but I still think that the webOS card handling is more intuitive. However, and it's a big however, webOS uses the whole tablet screen to deliver it, and it's only available back at the home screen, so on balance I find CM9's more useable.

On #3 I agree with k4ever; I've found Flash to work better in webOS. They're both eminently useable though. It might be the browser you're using on CM9 (I use Dolphin).

Spyke

I was using Dolphin also, which is an extension of the default Android browser. It seems to crash a lot both on CM9 and on the default Android set-up for my EVO 3D. All of the Android browsers seem to have stability issues, especially with Flash so I was a little confused by the previous statement. Only thing I can say is at least there is more of them available (Android browsers), they offer more features, and they get updated regularly (with more features) but it is all kind of pointless if they crash all the time. It is kind of like having a good looking car that doesn't run well, 200 TV channels when you only watch a few, and thousands of apps that no one needs...

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I was using Dolphin also, which is an extension of the default Android browser. It seems to crash a lot both on CM9...
    I can only speak for myself but Dolphin's been rock solid on CM9 for me. Leagues better than the garbage webOS browser that constantly hung up trying to scroll on a simple page and was a constant aggravation to use. Not to mention many secure pages flat out rejecting it such as any banking or bill pay sites I may have tried. I've never had a crash from Dolphin and can actually, you know, access web sites with it.

Then again, I also never experienced the wi-fi connectivity issues before or had a problem with the Google Store so I may just be extraordinarily blessed when it comes to my CM9 experience.
    I can only speak for myself but Dolphin's been rock solid on CM9 for me. Leagues better than the garbage webOS browser that constantly hung up trying to scroll on a simple page and was a constant aggravation to use. Not to mention many secure pages flat out rejecting it such as any banking or bill pay sites I may have tried. I've never had a crash from Dolphin and can actually, you know, access web sites with it.

Then again, I also never experienced the wi-fi connectivity issues before or had a problem with the Google Store so I may just be extraordinarily blessed when it comes to my CM9 experience.
    You are truly "blessed" with your CM9 experience. You may be the only one. I'll admit that CM9 is stable but, just like patching webOS, you have to work (hacking and tweaking) to get it that way.

I have not had an issue with the secure websites I frequent on webOS. My banking site, www.bankofamerica.com, works well on webOS and my wife is able to use online bill pay with no issues. Dolphin is not the default Android browser so comparing it to the default webOS browser is a little dishonest. I use Advanced Browser on webOS, which is an extension of the webOS default browser just like Dolphin is an extension of the default Android browser. There are some big difference between the Advance Browser and Dolphin. Dolphin has a lot more features available (its also free). However, Dolphin crashes (a lot). I have not had the Advance Browser or webOS default browser crash since July 2011. Dolphin occasionally misses links. I have clicked on links in Dolphin, heard the click (it's audible), but nothing happened. Advanced Browser sometimes opens up a "dead link" (nothing on the page) which is frustrating (you have to select the link again) but not as frustrating as Dolphin not doing anything at all no matter how many times you click the link until you force restart the browser. Google News is my favorite website and Dolphin frequently jumbles the page (CM9) or garbles the text (EVO 3D) while it is loading. No issues in Advance Browser with that website. CM9's touchscreen driver is still in it's infancy. It makes it hard to hold down a link and select "open in new tab" in Dolphin. Most of the time it will just go directly to the link. Because of this I have to set Dolphin to open all links in a new tab. Dolphin has an issue with maintaining it's state when "minimized", especially on sites with Flash elements. I have returned to Dolphin after switching to and from another app only to find a white screen. I make it a habit now to completely exit Dolphin if I am not using it for a while and I cross my fingers when I want to keep a website with Flash in a suspended state while I quickly switch to another app. I have no issues switching between apps and the Advanced Browser (or the default browser) in webOS. Scrolling is about the same in both browsers but a lot smoother in webOS because of patching and the touchscreen driver is better (as previously stated). The only real issue I have with all webOS browser is that some pop-up links continue to open in the background even after you swipe the page away. You can tell on the ones that have annoying ads with sound because the sound will play in the background.

As you can tell I use Dolphin and the Advance Browser for webOS a lot. I have an Android phone now (Sprint Pre died). The vast majority of my time on the TouchPad and on my phone is spent web browsing. I browse on the phone when I am on break at work or out of the house. I browse on the TouchPad when I am at home or a place with free WiFi. I prefer browsing in webOS because the browser is more stable and a lot more reliable than any of the Android browsers.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    We've had this discussion before, k4ever, but please believe those of us who have rock solid performance with Dolphin. I don't know whether you have slightly dodgy hardware, or something in conflict (overclocking?), but I really don't have these crashing, garbling or missed link issues. I also have no difficulty opening links in new tabs, etc.

I use Dolphin a lot, every day, as well. Do you have a webpage link that consistently causes you a problem, so I can try it out? Your Bank of America site seems fine to me, though I don't have an account so can't get into the secure area. However, I can use the secure area of my own banking site with no problems.

Incidentally, why do you say that Dolphin is an extension of the default browser? Looking at the wiki entry I can see that it's webkit-based (but so are many browsers) and that it uses "the native platform rendering capabilities", but I don't think that means that it's necessarily just an extension of Google's app.

EDIT: I've just spend a few minutes browsing Google News, and that seems fine too for me.

Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; 06/06/2012 at 07:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I use Dophin as my default browser and it hasn't crashed yet.

Alan
    You are truly "blessed" with your CM9 experience. You may be the only one. I'll admit that CM9 is stable but, just like patching webOS, you have to work (hacking and tweaking) to get it that way.
    I didn't do any tweaking. In fact, I was very hesitant to install a nightly because my original installation was so trouble free. Only the lure of the speaker fix made me take the plunge (and thankfully it had no ill effects).

My banking site, www.bankofamerica.com, works well on webOS and my wife is able to use online bill pay with no issues. Dolphin is not the default Android browser so comparing it to the default webOS browser is a little dishonest. I use Advanced Browser on webOS, which is an extension of the webOS default browser just like Dolphin is an extension of the default Android browser.
    BMO/Harris definitely does not work with the webOS browsers. Nor does my bill pay site for my utilities. Citimortgage might have worked.

I used both the stock webOS broswer and the Advanced browser and both had the same issues with accessing secure sites and simple scrolling. I pretty much felt that the Advanced browser was a waste of money since it didn't fix any of my primary issues with the stock one. Dolphin (which was free) allows me to do all those things without any problems.

However, Dolphin crashes (a lot).
    Not a once for me. I'll grant it sometimes misses a link but that's a minor issue compared to scrolling down a page and waiting 15 seconds for the webOS browser to actually render it.

I won't bother to go point by point since I can sum it up by saying I've experienced close to none of your difficulties with Dolphin and found both webOS browsers to be clunky and irritating to use. I won't doubt your experiences with them but they're certainly not universal.

As for applications, I was talking to someone else before and I realized how dishonest the "10,000 apps you'll never use" argument is. It's not a question of "How many soundboards and date planners can I get?" it's the simple fact that when an application does come out that I'd want, I have an infinitely better chance of seeing it come out on Android than webOS. I figure "Hey, I bet my newspaper has an app" and it does... for Android/iOS. Not for webOS (Chicago Tribune, by the way). I see someone playing the newest game and... I can get it for Android. My local music venue has an application to keep me aware of upcoming shows... for Android. LinkedIn, Slate, Cracked, Politico... Android apps. Sometimes I have to face disappointment when a place only has an iOS app (looking at you, Atlantic) but I haven't seen anyone only offering a webOS app -- and if they did, I could still use it.

Maybe none of those are applications you'd use, but I use them. And when I see a favorite place/site has an application, I can safely guess it'll be for Android and safely bet my left arm it won't have one for webOS. I don't need 10,000 apps -- I just want to be able to use the ones I want.
    Last edited by Jophiel; 06/06/2012 at 12:03 PM.
    tientsdo likes this.
    I can't agree with #2 because you can't close the active app with ICS/CM9's system.
    In ICS, you close the an app by clicking on the card and swiping it horizontally off the screen.

Facebook app: I have a friend named Scott, I never ever saw a single one of his posts on my wall when using the WebOS app. I didn't see them unless I logged into my PC. He was not the only one whose posts the WebOS app omitted. That is horrible. I do not have that problem with the Android version

Flash: On my Gingerbread Evo 3d, I use Dolphin because the stock browser sucks. In ICS, the stock browser is great; completely redesigned. I didn't even both loading Dolphin. I am also using the 0604 nightly build though. The alpha-2 is from back in February or early March. Alpha-2 is ICS 4.03 and the current is 4.04 - came off the Nexus. The Alpha-2 keyboard didn't even let you input numbers by holding down letters (eg hold Q to get 1, W to get 2, etc) and the reboot function shutdown your TP instead of booting it. The 0604 is stable and much quicker. If your Flash issues are on the Alpha-2, it is time to upgrade. Flash works very well. At least try Flash on the stock browser; might be better than Dolphin.

I can't say how good the other nightlies are but I recommend going with 0604.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    When the TP went on firesale, I was in the camp that webOS was great and any of the Android ports would pale in comparison. Now that we have ICS on the TP and I have tried it, I have to admit I am changing my tune.

There are a lot of people I agree with in this thread including Jophiel. I am very impressed with the performance of ICS. Instead of re-hashing I will try to add my 2 cents about a few different things.

Android Pros:
    * Other than the fact I can get Netflix now, I find that ICS is better at playing movies/videos. I have a large 1080p movie library on my file server at home that I've ripped from my own Blurays. I have re-encoded some of them to a smaller 1024 x * resolution for the TP. It took me weeks to find the right app and the right settings etc. webOS is very picky on what it would play. Even some smaller 480p AVI files of my son's Nick Jr show are painful to scrub in webOS, or they freeze. In CM9, an app called MX Player plays them flawlessly with hardware accel. Gestures control volume and brighness as well as scrubbing. Scrubbing is instant-lightning fast in CM9. Also, since my son is 19 months old, he taps on the screen. He initiates a tap-drag in webos and it stops playing. In webos he bugs me every 30 seconds to get the movie playing again. Not the case in CM9 with MX Player.

* CM9 boots really fast. Certainly helps and if I have to reboot I won't mind so much

* I really dig the Live wallpapers, more than I would have thought.

* CM9 really is very very smooth when it comes to the UI. Smoother than webOS usually.

WebOS pros:
    * Keyboard is by far the best. I have tried Swipe X, but still, I type much better and faster with the webOS keyboard.

* Splashtop App works better for me, mostly because the bottom bar on ICS never goes away. In webOS I can see the entire desktop. I suspect this affects a lot of apps that can never take advantage of the entire screen. It makes me wonder when manufacturers make Android tablets with 16:9 screens and if they try to watch a 16:9 movie, it needs to get letterboxed. Am I wrong in that assumption?

* WebOS is very easy to use. Doesn't mean much to me being the tech geek that I am, but for my wife and family it is a very important factor. My wife looks at my tablet running CM9 and has no desire to learn it and just says "Ugh I don't know what to do... How does this work?"

* Synergy in webOS - the best. I don't understand why other OS's haven't integrated so many social services/products like webOS has. I upload photos to Facebook and I know they are on my Touchpad to share with others. Very easy.

I have a few questions:
    1. Is there any good photo-syncing apps on Android?
    2. In Dolphin HD, is there a way to open an incognito tab like there is on the stock browser?
    Sorry, but you're all crazy if you're not using the Chrome browser on there. I barely use my Touchpad any more, but when I do, it's either to run Chrome, or to run Pinball Arcade. It really is great having a full-fledged desktop browser (minus extensions, unfortunately though) on the Touchpad.

I still really dislike the OS itself, but it's tolerable in ICS.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123