View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with CM9 for TouchPad?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Satisfied

    32 36.78%
  • Satisfied

    34 39.08%
  • Neutral

    14 16.09%
  • Unsatisfied

    2 2.30%
  • Extremely Unsatisfied

    0 0%
  • I do not have CM9

    5 5.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    Without games and apps, it's just a $150 cheese tray. But then I never had any issues with Android. WebOS strikes me as marginally better but I'll admit that I never feel the need to multitask or anything. I open one application, use it until I'm done, close and move on. If I acted otherwise maybe I'd be more enamored with WebOS.
    It all comes down to which apps you use and/or need. If it were only about quantity of apps Android would have never got off the ground as we'd all have bought iPhones. I agree that the Touchpad is somewhat lacking in apps, but I have what I need and use on both the TP and my Pre3 other than games for the TP (so I game on an iPad or CM9). No need or desire to have games on my pre3 as I basically never game on it (my old eyes need a bigger screen). MeeGo is far more lacking with no tapatalk client

    That said my next gadget will likely be an S3 or a Note in the hopes that Duarte and the Enyo team pull Android into the realm of gestures like webOS and MeeGo.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    It all comes down to which apps you use and/or need.
    Fair enough. For my own use, the app selection for Android that I want/use far exceeds that of webOS. Perhaps iOS would have more except I own a HP Touchpad and until someone hacks iOS onto it (heh), my options are webOS or Android and Android wins by a far shot.

    Even more into it, pretty much anything I used on webOS can be replaced with an Android app. There's lots of Android apps with no equal in webOS. So if I'm going to mainly stay booted into one or the other, it's going to be the one with the most stuff I'll use.
  3. #23  
    Apps make the OS, and while there aren't many specific Tablet apps (like iPad has), the phone apps seem to work fine on the Touchpad with CM9 so that is the biggest reason why CM9 is better.

    If you are having battery issues, you can lower the CPU speed with an App, this will slow things down, but give longer battery life. I don't see the mic/crappy camera working in CM9.
  4. #24  
    Apps make the OS, and while there aren't many specific Tablet apps (like iPad has), the phone apps seem to work fine on the Touchpad with CM9 so that is the biggest reason why CM9 is better.

    If you are having battery issues, you can lower the CPU speed with an App, this will slow things down, but give longer battery life. I don't see the mic/crappy camera working in CM9.
    I have to disagree. Apps do not make the OS. The purpose of an OS is to give the user and Apps access to the hardware. Android as an OS is crappy.

    ACL is suppose to be in the webOS market soon (by Q3). It will give you the ability to run Android apps natively in webOS. Ask yourself this question: If ACL were available today, and it didn't take a major hit in speed, would you use Android or webOS on your TouchPad? Most of you will be back in webOS in an instant because as an OS it is a lot more user friendly than Android.


    ---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
  5. #25  
    Yes and no. I'd use webOS because I could then use all my apps natively in one place without flipping OS's. Not because the OS itself is so much superior.

    I'm not sure what specific critiques you have of Android but it works fine for me. But then I spend maybe 5% of my tablet time worrying about the "desktop" and 95% of it in some application or another. Which is why the apps matter so much more to me than the OS itself.
  6. xezat's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #26  
    Satisfied for the most part, wish it had the bug fixes, out of alpha, didn't drain battery life or keep dropping wifi, etc etc, but eh, it's better than not having it.

    Though CM9 has had the effect of making me realize what garbage in general Android store is; Apple app store is so much better it's not even funny really.
  7. #27  
    Yes and no. I'd use webOS because I could then use all my apps natively in one place without flipping OS's. Not because the OS itself is so much superior.

    I'm not sure what specific critiques you have of Android but it works fine for me. But then I spend maybe 5% of my tablet time worrying about the "desktop" and 95% of it in some application or another. Which is why the apps matter so much more to me than the OS itself.
    I don't understand your first statement. What apps does webOS have that Android is missing? You should be able to go 100% Android. The only things not working in CM9 is the camera and microphone. Unless you use apps that require those services you should be find with just CM9.

    The problem with Android for me is useability. I need to be able to switch back and forth between running apps seamlessly. I also need apps to run in the background with little to no issues; Just like I do on my desktop. I can't seem to do that with any version of Android. Even ICS(CM9), which has decent task switching is lacking. Some tasks are suspended when they are switched away from.

    I want as close to a desktop as I can get on a bigger screen and webOS is it. WebOS behaves more like a desktop OS. Android behaves more like a phone OS.

    I don't want to beat a dead horse too much, but I do want to talk about PDF use on webOS vs Android and why I switched back to webOS. I use PDFs a lot at work. I felt webOS' PDF viewers were inadequate, so I reinstalled CM9 on my TouchPad (I was also discouraged by the inactivity on the webOS app front just like everyone else). Android has a ton of PDF viewers. Many of them are pretty good and offer some good features. Problem is that I need to open more than one PDF at a time and switch back and forth between them. I haven't found a good way to do that on Android. I noticed a post here on webosnation about continued improvements with a patched version of Adobe Acrobat. I used it in the early stages and decided to give it a try again. I installed the mupdf patched version of Acrobat on webOS. I wasn't expecting much. I was at work doing an inspection that required information from several different regulations. I was in webOS at the time and decided to give the patched version of Acrobat a try. I noticed I was able to open more than one regulation using the patched version of Acrobat and since I was using webOS I was able to switch back and forth between each one with the flick of a finger. It made my job a lot easier because I couldn't do that on CM9. I decided to just stay with webOS and tough it out because it does what I need to do well.

    CM9 is rock stable right now and Android is a decent OS with a lot of apps. However, until they can fix the useability issues, I will keep coming back to webOS.



    ---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by k4ever; 06/01/2012 at 10:42 PM.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't understand your first statement. What apps does webOS have that Android is missing? You should be able to go 100% Android. The only things not working in CM9 is the camera and microphone. Unless you use apps that require those services you should be find with just CM9.
    I already had a number of apps purchased for webOS that I didn't see the point of repurchasing for Android.

    The problem with Android for me is useability. I need to be able to switch back and forth between running apps seamlessly. I also need apps to run in the background with little to no issues; Just like I do on my desktop.
    I don't but, again, perhaps I use my tablet differently than you do. I decide I want to look at a web site so I open the browser and look at the website. Then I close it and open a game. After playing the game, I close it and open Netflix. I watch my show and close Netflix and open...

    ...anyway, I never need to be in Netflix with a website and a game running in the background. I suppose I could see a time when I might want something open in the background for me to refer to when on the web but that's not common. And I sometimes have music playing in the background but that's never been an issue for me. But I'm certainly willing to say you might have different needs than I do. I don't need to run multiple PDFs at one time so if that's where webOS shines for you, it's no wonder that I'm not feeling the same love.
  9. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #29  
    There still isn't a keyboard as good as webos with arrow keys.

    Alan
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    There still isn't a keyboard as good as webos with arrow keys.

    Alan
    I totaly agree. I've used just about every Android keyboard on CM9. None hold a candle to the TouchPad's webOS keyboard with the arrows patch. Swiping is not as fast as just typing, especially on something as big as a tablet. The autocorrection options on Android cause more trouble than good. I tried to type a response to this thread yesterday on my EVO 3D. It kept autocorrecting words for me that couldn't be changed back because I had already started typing a new word. The autocorrect on webOS isn't fancy. It doesn't do inline word suggestion or any of that jazz but it does underline the words it corrects and let's you go back and change them after the fact. Something that Android keyboards are lacking. But hey, they look cool and have thousands of themes, swiping, and voice recognition. Too bad they don't concentrate on perfecting just typing first before they add all these cool features making them more like toys instead of increasing productivity.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    I already had a number of apps purchased for webOS that I didn't see the point of repurchasing for Android.


    I don't but, again, perhaps I use my tablet differently than you do. I decide I want to look at a web site so I open the browser and look at the website. Then I close it and open a game. After playing the game, I close it and open Netflix. I watch my show and close Netflix and open...

    ...anyway, I never need to be in Netflix with a website and a game running in the background. I suppose I could see a time when I might want something open in the background for me to refer to when on the web but that's not common. And I sometimes have music playing in the background but that's never been an issue for me. But I'm certainly willing to say you might have different needs than I do. I don't need to run multiple PDFs at one time so if that's where webOS shines for you, it's no wonder that I'm not feeling the same love.
    I understand you. CM9 is good enough for you based on what you use a tablet for (a big phone). It's probably good enough for the 99% of the other folks who use a tablet also. Some of us need more. Some of us need the things webOS excels at.

    I'm not trying to beat you up. I give CM9 some high marks. It's just not what I bought a tablet for. I just want to point out one more thing. I watched one movie on NetFlix on CM9. Just one. The low usage issue is not with CM9. It's an issue of convenience. My TouchPad is WiFi only. The only place I watch NetFlix religously is in my house. Which also happens to be where I connect to WiFi the most. I already have two 42 plus inch HDTVs with access to NetFlix in my house. As I mentioned before, my family and I like to watch stuff on NetFlix together so all of my NetFlix usage is on one of those two TVs. I also want to point out that stuff on NetFlix is old. If I want to watch a recent TV show that I did not record on my DVR and is not offered on demand from my cable service, NetFlix can't help me. However there is a website call Project Free TV that I frequent for those special occasions and that website works well on the TouchPad in webOS. A lot better than on the TouchPad with CM9.
  12. #32  
    Wow. After reading this thread and researching things in multitasking mode that would need to be single threaded in CM9, I have a whole new respect for webOS. I have 10 cards open right now:

    Communities connected to both XDA and Android Central along with this post in progress.
    Adobe with three PDFs open.
    Browser with a google search for ubuntu chroot webos.

    A moment ago I also had Preware and App Catalog open.

    Seemlessly switching between all. This is where webOS really shines.

    So that being said, two questions come up.

    1. What and where is the patched version of Adobe reader? I looked in Preware and App Catalog and only found the stock version. Though not sure what the patch

    2. How much effort is there to doing the chroot/ubuntu/Firefox thing mentioned in an earlier post? I'll research this more but webOS is much more multitasking than I am. I think I'll have to single thread my brain for that one!

    Bottom line: I just found new respect for webOS.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm not trying to beat you up.
    I don't feel at all beat up. I feel that you have some exceptional needs for the tablet that, as you admit, 99% of the users don't need. That an OS doesn't fit the need of 1% of its users strikes me as a tremendous success for the OS, not a failure.

    For that matter, I don't have specific grievances against webOS aside from its anemic selection of applications and lack of support. The OS itself is fine. I don't see it as any wonder of modern computing and don't have the deep love for it that some do but, if I could run all my Android applications seamlessly on webOS, I'd certainly be content using it.

    The Netflix point is sort of moot. I use it and enjoy it despite its limitations therefore its inclusion with Android is a plus for me and its exclusion from webOS is a negative. I'm not really one for watching shaky illegal copies of current run movies/shows so Project Free TV isn't a site I spend any time at. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Jophiel; 06/02/2012 at 11:02 AM.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Wow. After reading this thread and researching things in multitasking mode that would need to be single threaded in CM9, I have a whole new respect for webOS. I have 10 cards open right now:

    Communities connected to both XDA and Android Central along with this post in progress.
    Adobe with three PDFs open.
    Browser with a google search for ubuntu chroot webos.

    A moment ago I also had Preware and App Catalog open.

    Seemlessly switching between all. This is where webOS really shines.

    So that being said, two questions come up.

    1. What and where is the patched version of Adobe reader? I looked in Preware and App Catalog and only found the stock version. Though not sure what the patch

    2. How much effort is there to doing the chroot/ubuntu/Firefox thing mentioned in an earlier post? I'll research this more but webOS is much more multitasking than I am. I think I'll have to single thread my brain for that one!

    Bottom line: I just found new respect for webOS.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Answer to question #1:

    [PATCH/IPK]Adobe PDF Reader Enhancements

    Answer to question #2: Took some considerable amount of work on my part because I had to completely remove CM9 first (not a requirement, you can run all three but I needed the space to get the 4GB minimum for Ubuntu). After that the scripts pretty much took care of everything and I had it running in about an hour. There are still some issues with it. Please look at this thread first:

    [PORT] Ubuntu 11.10 Native (Alpha 0.0.4) - xda-developers

    The TouchPad hardware is incredible in that it can run webOS, Android, and Ubuntu. You can select which one you want at boot.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    I don't feel at all beat up. I feel that you have some exceptional needs for the tablet that, as you admit, 99% of the users don't need. That an OS doesn't fit the need of 1% of its users strikes me as a tremendous success for the OS, not a failure.

    For that matter, I don't have specific grievances against webOS aside from its anemic selection of applications and lack of support. The OS itself is fine. I don't see it as any wonder of modern computing and don't have the deep love for it that some do but, if I could run all my Android applications seamlessly on webOS, I'd certainly be content using it.

    The Netflix point is sort of moot. I use it and enjoy it despite its limitations therefore its inclusion with Android is a plus for me and its exclusion from webOS is a negative. I'm not really one for watching shaky illegal copies of current run movies/shows so Project Free TV isn't a site I spend any time at. Your mileage may vary.
    I don't know what Project Free TV's legal standing is and I tend to stay away from the movies on it (for that reason). I will say that the TV shows are in high quality HD, not the shaky stuff you see, particularly overseas. I used the site to keep up on US shows while I was in the middle east. Hulu, NetFlix, and the network websites don't work in most countries outside the United States. If you ever travel you will come to hate how limited these services are. I will leave it at that.

    Most folks who ding webOS don't seem to understand that webOS users want more than what Android and iOS are offering when it comes to usability. They seem to be blinded by the thousand of seemly useless apps that these two platforms offer. So much so that they gloss over the usability issues and limitations inherent in operating systems that were designed strictly for telephone use first. That's why I asked the question in a previous post about how many would remain loyal to CM9 if ACL were running on webOS. ACL would make the app issue a moot point leaving only usability as the only delineating factor.
    Last edited by k4ever; 06/02/2012 at 01:34 PM.
  16. #36  
    I'd guess that the majority, perhaps the vast majority, of HP Touchpad users had no knowledge or care of how "great" webOS was when they bought it because they bought it on a fire sale at 80% off. The idea that you'd speak for what webOS users "want" is a bit silly -- I use webOS and you certainly don't speak for me and you just admitted that for 99% of Android users, it's just fine for them. Perhaps there's some elite group of webOS users out there or something who just wither inside when they can't have 10 cards open at once but I don't think they reflect the norm.

    But, of course, the nice thing is that we don't have to pick one to the exclusion of the other. You think webOS is the cat's meow so that's great since you have access to it. I'm happy with Android and CM9 gives me that. I'd assume that anyone reading this forum has access to both so they can go with what they like best or what works fine for them. I don't really have an OS preference, I just want something that'll let me run the stuff I want to run. Android does that, webOS doesn't. Should webOS someday do it, great. But my reasons for going back to webOS would be things like its ability to use the camera/mic and using my existing webOS apps, not so I can open a dozen cards for the first time.
  17. mrstangblb's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    #37  
    Just got my Touch pad from Cow boom, and I am impressed. I used the makeuseof.com tutorial this afternoon to dual boot it, and it is nice!

    Sent from my Dual-booting HP Touchpad and Tapatalk 2

    Jeremiah 29:11-13/John 3:16
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    I'd guess that the majority, perhaps the vast majority, of HP Touchpad users had no knowledge or care of how "great" webOS was when they bought it because they bought it on a fire sale at 80% off. The idea that you'd speak for what webOS users "want" is a bit silly -- I use webOS and you certainly don't speak for me and you just admitted that for 99% of Android users, it's just fine for them. Perhaps there's some elite group of webOS users out there or something who just wither inside when they can't have 10 cards open at once but I don't think they reflect the norm.

    But, of course, the nice thing is that we don't have to pick one to the exclusion of the other. You think webOS is the cat's meow so that's great since you have access to it. I'm happy with Android and CM9 gives me that. I'd assume that anyone reading this forum has access to both so they can go with what they like best or what works fine for them. I don't really have an OS preference, I just want something that'll let me run the stuff I want to run. Android does that, webOS doesn't. Should webOS someday do it, great. But my reasons for going back to webOS would be things like its ability to use the camera/mic and using my existing webOS apps, not so I can open a dozen cards for the first time.
    You do know there was an active webOS community before the TouchPad? We had the Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, and Pixi first. Some of use bought the TouchPad because we had one of those devices before and enjoyed using the OS. The fire sale brought more folks to the table. I agree it is great to have choices.

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
  19. #39  
    I do know that. This is also a specific forum on these boards for putting CM9 onto the Touchpad. Given the initial sales of the Touchpad, I don't believe that most of them wound up in the hands of webOS devotees. On the other hand, it's very likely that most webOS devotees wound up with Touchpads.
  20. #40  
    Sad to say but I loaded CM9 yesterday and will very rarely ever boot back to WebOS...

    1) Amazing how fast CM9 boots and never any lag. Proves that the Touchpad hardware is very good. While the GUI for WebOS is great, the underneath OS is weak and causes the lag. It is beyond doubt now.

    2) Multitaking card system is GREAT. Matthias Duarte,creator of WebOS and ICS, realized that displaying cards vertically is superior to horizontal because screens are much longer than wide; you can fit more cards on the screen at once instead of only one on WebOS. Only downside is no stacking in ICS.

    3) Flash runs 1000% better on ICS; never has choppy video or video getting stuck while audio still runs with video trying to catch up.

    4)Facebook app is a LOT better. The one in WebOS is half baked.

    5) Netflix plus plenty of other apps.

    I could go on but I won't. Only think I miss is stacking browser cars on top of the emails that had the links in them.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions